PDA

View Full Version : Thread about "The", The

SilentPanda
Nov 3, 2005, 09:36 AM
Since the Wiki doesn't sort by the word after "The" for things like "The Dock" and "The Trash" should they be changed to "Dock, The" and "Trash, The" or should redirects be put in (I don't care for redirects myself as they just make the index page twice as imposing). If I was looking for information on "The Dock" I would look under "D" and not "T". Actually I would search but you get my point.

dubbz
Nov 3, 2005, 10:54 AM
Uhm... "Dock, The" just looks weird (and meaningless) to me. Better to just drop the "The" completely then.

grapes911
Nov 3, 2005, 10:55 AM
Uhm... "Dock, The" just looks weird (and meaningless) to me. Better to just drop the "The" completely then.
I'm on board with that. Looks better.

wordmunger
Nov 3, 2005, 12:09 PM
should redirects be put in (I don't care for redirects myself as they just make the index page twice as imposing).

Can't you do a redirect without a category -- just so all the old links aren't broken?

SilentPanda
Nov 3, 2005, 12:11 PM
Can't you do a redirect without a category -- just so all the old links aren't broken?

I dunno. I tried to add something to the wiki and it didn't work right so I got scared and deleted what I added. I'm just gonna stick to editing wikis and not starting new topics.

wordmunger
Nov 3, 2005, 12:34 PM
I dunno. I tried to add something to the wiki and it didn't work right so I got scared and deleted what I added. I'm just gonna stick to editing wikis and not starting new topics.

Hey.... someone put up a page titled "Arport Extreme" and I moved it to "Airport Extreme." Looks like it automatically redirects. So we could do the same thing with "The Dock" and "The Trash," no?

EDIT: Okay, fixed "Dock", "Trash", and all the pages linking to them.

Mechcozmo
Nov 4, 2005, 02:48 AM
Considering it is the Dock and not The Dock, why does the title include 'the' in the first place?

wordmunger
Nov 4, 2005, 07:34 AM
Considering it is the Dock and not The Dock, why does the title include 'the' in the first place?

Well, it doesn't any more. Who knows why it did before.