PDA

View Full Version : received my new replacement 17" powerbook today!

tekmoe
Nov 3, 2005, 10:32 AM
i received my new replacement 17" powerbook today from apple. my first one had a misaligned screen and one dead pixel. i called apple, complained enough, and they opted to send me another brand new one as a replacement. i am typing on it now while zeroing out the drive in the old 17" that i am shipping back to apple today.

no dead pixels, screen is aligned properly, AND i get to enjoy the fresh new smell of a brand new powerbook ALL OVER AGAIN! hehehehehe

lovin' it. thanks apple. you did me right.

denial
Nov 3, 2005, 11:40 AM
Some "opening" pics again please!!.

How is the screen? nice and bright? any issues yet?

tekmoe
Nov 3, 2005, 12:42 PM
unfortunately, I did not have my camera with me today to capture the birth. =/

so far, everything is working perfect. screen is awesome. go out and buy one!

Billicus
Nov 3, 2005, 12:56 PM
unfortunately, I did not have my camera with me today to capture the birth. =/

so far, everything is working perfect. screen is awesome. go out and buy one!

Post a couple of screenshots, then. :)

RHMMMM
Nov 3, 2005, 01:03 PM
Glad to hear this one isn't a lemon. I'm loving mine - now, especially since I'm not experiencing the screen jumps and the Airport/>1GB RAM/lockup issue that I was having before, that the Airport update yesterday fixed. Everything seems pretty darn good on it!

Yay 17"

plinkoman
Nov 3, 2005, 01:28 PM
does you ac adapter work? :p

:sigh: i wish mine did, i just used up the last of my battery and now i have to wait untill the new one comes...

i'm hoping for tommorow, but who knows...

tekmoe
Nov 3, 2005, 01:35 PM
yes, ac adapter works. sorry to hear yours is bad plinkoman. at least your 17" is ok. =)

billicus, i did post a screenshot in my other thread. in case you missed it, here it is again: http://www.tekmoe.com/desktop.jpg

g0gie
Nov 3, 2005, 01:49 PM
Does your new PB have that horizontal lines issue?

tekmoe
Nov 3, 2005, 01:52 PM
nope, as far as i am aware, the 17" pb's do not have this problem.

nph
Nov 3, 2005, 02:12 PM
What about heat and are you happy with the speed? What programs do you run?

Thanks

tekmoe
Nov 3, 2005, 02:41 PM
i would honestly have to say this 17" produces less heat than both the 15" and 12". my opinion is solid as my girlfriend owns a 12" that i use often and i owned a 15" for about 7 months prior to the purchase of my new 17".

i run safari, mail, adium, itunes, iphoto, minor photoshop, minor dreamweaver, and serato scratch live. everything runs well especially when you have a gig or more of RAM. i intend on buying some more RAM very soon.

g0gie
Nov 3, 2005, 04:02 PM
did your replacement come in a brand spanking new apple box? if so post pix like you did when you opened up your new macs!

tekmoe
Nov 3, 2005, 04:08 PM
yes this powerbook was brand new factory fresh, but i forgot my camera! and i just HAD to open it up because i was so anxious. if i had my camera, i would have recorded the ceremony of cutting the little circle seal on the box for you guys. :p

g0gie
Nov 5, 2005, 02:23 AM
Hey Tekmoe, did your replacement laptop ship from china as well? They agreed hat I shoudl get a replacement for my defective 15'' pb and the guy was saying it should be shipped from northern cali and shoudl be at my place the followiong day . I hope im not gettin a refurb... BETTER BE NEW!! let me kno :)

lafiamma
Nov 5, 2005, 07:22 AM
What do you think of the viewing angle? Satisfactory? And does your new 17" screen suffer from the darken corners at the bottom as show in this thread with images http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=273585 or specifially this image below:

http://www.fightattack.com/apple/ghosting.jpg

aricher
Nov 5, 2005, 07:57 AM
My PB 17" 1.33 had the darkened corner problem. I took it to the Apple store and they had it replaced in 3 days. After having it for nearly 2 years it has started to develop some uneven illumination issues - light patches almost like what happened with the 15" PBs. I plan on getting it replaced again soon. Thanks to AppleCare I've not had to pay to have my:

1. SuperDrive replaced twice.
2. Logic board replaced twice.
3. Screen replaced once.
4. screen bezel and palmrest replaced (black scuff marks from rubbing when closed.)

Without AppleCare I would have spent almost as much as I spent on the PB in repairs. Ouch. I still stand by my PB 17" as the best purchase I've ever made.

lafiamma
Nov 5, 2005, 09:17 AM
So I guess that darken corner issue isn't new in this new release only, then it must be the way the 17" aluminium screen frame is being designed or something.

aricher, how long does it takes for your dark corner to develop? Does it appear since the first day you got it?

primalman
Nov 5, 2005, 09:59 AM
What do you think of the viewing angle? Satisfactory? And does your new 17" screen suffer from the darken corners at the bottom as show in this thread with images http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=273585 or specifially this image below:

http://www.fightattack.com/apple/ghosting.jpg

I have these cone shaped spots too on my new 17". Also the backlight leak along the bottom too [only see it shen room is dark and look from above angle. Can someone report if they have any real news on these please.