PDA

View Full Version : continuous ipod use - 12+hours

nbs2
Nov 3, 2005, 12:08 PM
This seems like a silly question but I was wondering if I would do any real damage to the HD.

I am planing on buying a 5G/60 and the tux display to use at work. I really wouldn't ever listen to it while at work, but I would use it throughout the day to display pictures of my wife, my niece (at 1yo, she is the cutest little girl I have ever seen), and my kids (when we have kids). I have a spare cable and can take the AC adapter in to charge it/keep it charged. But, I was wondering if the 5 days a week of 10-12 hours of accessing the HD would cause damage.

If it was just music, I wouldn't be too worried. If fact I don't think I should be. But, I was wondering if anybody can guide me one way or another.

MmmPancakes
Nov 3, 2005, 02:03 PM
This seems like a silly question but I was wondering if I would do any real damage to the HD.

I am planing on buying a 5G/60 and the tux display to use at work. I really wouldn't ever listen, but I would use it throughout the day to display pictures of my wife, my niece (at 1yo, she is the cutest little girl I have ever seen), and my kids (when we have kids). I have a spare cable and can take the AC adapter in to charge it/keep it charged. But, I was wondering if the 5 days a week of 10-12 hours of accessing the HD would cause damage.

If it was just music, I wouldn't be too worried. If fact I don't think I should be. But, I was wondering if anybody can guide me one way or another.

you bought an iPod just to display images?? :confused: wow!

well, either way it won't adversely affect the hard drive to view images all day. If it runs all day every day and needs to be recharged every night, in theory it will wear down your battery faster is all.

nbs2
Nov 3, 2005, 02:27 PM
you bought an iPod just to display images?? :confused: wow!

well, either way it won't adversely affect the hard drive to view images all day. If it runs all day every day and needs to be recharged every night, in theory it will wear down your battery faster is all.
I should clarify. I need to replace my 3G (ok, i want to replace my 3G). In addition to listening to music while I commute, walk around town, etc, I thought, "Hey, I can display pictures on the iPod rather than the pictures on my desk! With that tux stand, it will look brilliant! And, I could even attach a headphone connector if i want to listen to music while displaying the pictures" I am planning on leaving it plugged in all day, so there will be a dock connector attached, but it should still look pretty cool. That's why I'm not too concerned about the battery - it will be running electricity. Besides, I don't think the battery would last that long.

I just want to make sure that I won't be putting undue stress on the HD by doing something that will probably make it spin a whole lot. Then again, I guess it might fit the slideshow into memory. In fact, I would think it is no different than playing music all day on it. I guess I'll be ok. Now I just need to decide between the plasticsmith "tux" stand and a dock.