Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Icons I dislike in iOS 7:

1. Calendar
2. Stocks
3. Compass
4. Safari

Seriously, whats up with the calendar icon? Can it even be considered an icon? haha a 3 y/o can do better. Also the stocks app makes my phone look like I have a hole in my screen. Other than that I like the overall update of iOS 7.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Icons I dislike in iOS 7:

1. Calendar
2. Stocks
3. Compass
4. Safari

Seriously, whats up with the calendar icon? Can it even be considered an icon? haha a 3 y/o can do better. Also the stocks app makes my phone look like I have a hole in my screen. Other than that I like the overall update of iOS 7.

all of them

gamecenter
camera
phone
mail
appstore
itunes

are the worst offenders

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Why do the teeth in the Settings app gear have to be so thin? Unless you're close, it just appears to be circles. Looks more like some Sci-fi icon than a gear.

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
the calendar is ok, but

newsstand
game center - I don't know why they did that, it doesnt match the style and it is neither flat nor minimalistic

reminders
notes
settings

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
they are all shockingly horrifying.

i really cant understand how a company renowned for its aesthetic beauty fail to make something as trivial as decent icons.

Agree, maybe Jony Ive isn't the God people make him out to be, and instead an un-inspired, over-hyped designer?

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I don't like any of them, but the ones without any white are worse (camera, stocks, settings, compass). The other icons are so much like pop art with bright colors and pops of white, that the dark, ugly ones are even uglier.

I think the stocks icon is probably the worst. It looks like an EKG reading to me.

rasputin1969

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
Settings
Safari
Newstand
AppStore
Notes
Mail
Phone
Calendar
FaceTime

and

The Dock
The yellow text in notes
The thin system font
The new switch control. (Off looks disabled rather than off)

mumph

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
I dislike all of them. As a designer I find it quite shocking that there is no one at Apple with sound knowledge of designing icons.

They have done EVERYTHING to a grid. Grids are good, but they need to be flexible. For the icons, there is clearly no flexibility whatsoever. Note the clock icon. It looks ok, its not offensive, now look at the iTunes icon. Its the same sized circle as the clock but having that thin a border that close to the edge of the icon gives it an uncomfortable appearance. They should draw the border slightly thicker and inwards if they insist on being so close to the edge.

That way the outer edge is still the same as the clock et al but the icon feels more secure. Some of the icons are so weak they look like you could wipe them off with your finger. The photos icon for example is terrible. It says nothing at all about what it represents. If it didnt say Photos underneath you would have no clue as to what it was. The same for settings - I mean what the hell is that thing on the settings icon? It looks like a bath plug hole or the back of a hairdryer?!

The compass and stocks icons are simply black squares. They will DEFINITELY need to be kept on separate screens as they look exactly the same on quick glance.

Going back to the circles, Safari is TERRIBLE. Again far too close to the edge giving you an uneasy feeling. You kind of don't want to touch it. It needs a border around the circle and not the flimsy one like on iTunes as I mentioned earlier.

The minimal style is very much my style when it comes to my work but you have to match it to the project. The iOS7 icons are incredibly weak, inconsistent despite the grid, non descriptive and ruin what should be a great iOS7 update. They are for a touch screen, but I dont want to touch these icons, because they seem flimsy and ambiguous.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
Safari
Game Center
Photos
Contacts

Interestingly I find that the Calender icon works well with just a white background. But Safari for example just looks like it's not finished yet. Game Center, including the app's main screen, doesn't fit in AT ALL with the rest of the OS. It's glossy bubbles are highly contrasted to the flat, white textures found in iOS 7.

Apple will most likely change a few icons during beta.

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
I like the overall new UI but many of the icons are literally jaw droppingly bad. The safari icon, the iTunes/App Store icons. And then... Newsstand. What on earth.

I really really hope they change those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.