Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeyiphone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I just downloaded iOS 7 and I do not see the voice memo app.

Anyone know if this is on purpose?

Can anyone recommend any good alternatives, preferably free?

It's Electric

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2011
Anyone know if this is on purpose?

Craig Federighi just called to tell me that they forgot to include it by accident. We both had a good laugh about it, but I laughed a bit too vigorously, which hurt his feelings and made his hair droop.

But seriously, Evernote can do audio notes. The only downside is that the Evernote folks are hell bent on making their interface worse with each release.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I was disappointed by this. I never used the app until I started doing comedy, and it was great for recording sets on the fly.

Evernote is nice, it's just several extra steps to get there (which is crucial when you're pacing around nervous right before a set, trying to make sure you remember to record).

I have to say, very bummed that this is gone. Given that apps have to request access to the microphone now, I was hoping for a recording solution baked in to the OS SOMEWHERE, but I don't see it.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I do use it from time to time but apparently not enough to notice it was gone haha.

It actually took me a second, too. Once I got it set up the way I had everything in iOS 6, I realized there was one empty space on my homescreen, where it used to reside.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I was disappointed by this. I never used the app until I started doing comedy, and it was great for recording sets on the fly.

Evernote is nice, it's just several extra steps to get there (which is crucial when you're pacing around nervous right before a set, trying to make sure you remember to record).

I have to say, very bummed that this is gone. Given that apps have to request access to the microphone now, I was hoping for a recording solution baked in to the OS SOMEWHERE, but I don't see it.

Sorry but why is it an issue to download one of the thousands of free ones from the Appstore? Really every 'non-essential' app should be removed. Weather, stocks, calendar, notes etc there is no need to bake them into the OS.

KamiQuazi

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
From Release Notes

Voice Memos
Known Issues: The VoiceMemos app is not available in this seed.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
IEvernote is nice, it's just several extra steps to get there (which is crucial when you're pacing around nervous right before a set, trying to make sure you remember to record).

Evernote has become a platform overloaded (and bloated) with so many functionalities that it no longer does one thing truly well.

The Smyrk

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2012
Austin, TX
Voice Memo App audio quality >>> Evernote App audio quality. As a user of both, I for one will be very happy to see the return of this app that some people seem to be quick to dismiss. I've used Evernote to record lectures and while the cloud sync is nice, it doesn't come close to the baked in app in terms of clarity.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Sorry but why is it an issue to download one of the thousands of free ones from the Appstore? Really every 'non-essential' app should be removed. Weather, stocks, calendar, notes etc there is no need to bake them into the OS.

Because a lot of people that buy smartphones (especially iPhones) expect to have this kind of functionality baked in to the OS. I do like that there's quick access to the clock and calculator via the Command Center. Two less apps taking up home screen real estate.

Evernote has become a platform overloaded (and bloated) with so many functionalities that it no longer does one thing truly well.

Could not agree more. I loved it at first (and still prefer it to other digital solutions), but I've gone back to a pen and paper approach for writing anyhow. So it would be nice to have a well-designed voice memo app (preferably free) if there are any suggestions.

what kind of comedy do you do? I've been wanting to do stand up for awhile but I think it might be a little too dirty

I do standup. Been at it about 6 months. Don't worry about too dirty, man. Find some open mics in your area and just go for it. At least where I live, "clean" shows are few and far between. Comedy takes place usually after dark while adults are drinking, being dirty is to be expected.

greenorblue

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
I just posted my findings in another thread. Thought I'd share (even though the issue seems to be cleared up):

I very much care about this app. As a musician I use it CONSTANTLY to record ideas. I know there are other apps that perform the same function, and even to a more customizable extent, but I've always been very comfortable with the first party app (I also have thousands of memos saved to the app already). That being said, I did some snooping around and found this:

IMG_1299.png

Since it's listed under the areas of which Spotlight can search, I'm assuming they will add the Voice Memo app back in a future beta.

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks
I just posted my findings in another thread. Thought I'd share (even though the issue seems to be cleared up):

I very much care about this app. As a musician I use it CONSTANTLY to record ideas. I know there are other apps that perform the same function, and even to a more customizable extent, but I've always been very comfortable with the first party app (I also have thousands of memos saved to the app already). That being said, I did some snooping around and found this:

Since it's listed under the areas of which Spotlight can search, I'm assuming they will add the Voice Memo app back in a future beta.

From Release Notes

Voice Memos
Known Issues: The VoiceMemos app is not available in this seed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.