PDA

View Full Version : Please help me! 14" iBook or 12" PowerBook?

iAFC
Nov 3, 2005, 12:18 PM
Hello folks,

As you can see, I'm a switcher and I want your help to decide what to get: a 14" iBook or a 12" PowerBook.

I love the PowerBook style. It's lighter and thinner than the iBook. But I have some questions: which display is better? PB's is smaller, but some friends told me that its quality is superior.

Another thing: is the PB too much faster than the iBook? I don't know if the performance difference can compensate the extra $200 I'd pay for it.

Note: I don't work with graphics, so I'm really confused if it's better to get the PowerBook which is a "pro machine".

Bear
Nov 3, 2005, 12:38 PM
My suggestion would be to go into a local store and actually look at the screens. Do not just go by what other people think.

Some people like the 12" screen, some people want the 14" at that resolution.

Deepdale
Nov 3, 2005, 12:48 PM
I love the PowerBook style. It's lighter and thinner than the iBook. But I have some questions: which display is better? PB's is smaller, but some friends told me that its quality is superior. ... Note: I don't work with graphics, so I'm really confused if it's better to get the PowerBook which is a "pro machine".

The speed differential is, at best, insignificant for most tasks. As someone who does not need extra graphics performance, you would be very well served if you went with an iBook. However, if you love the Powerbook style as you state, you might well feel that you deprived yourself somehow by not getting it. There is a price differential ... if you are fine with that, my bottom line advice would be this: you do not have a true need for a PB, but I sense you'll be happier with the PB during the time you will own it. Hope this helps and best of luck with whatever you purchase.

wordmunger
Nov 3, 2005, 12:58 PM
The 14-inch iBook's screen has the same resolution as the 12-inch powerbook. i prefer it because it is physically larger, and my 38-year-old eyes need all the help they can get.

Other than that (and size and weight), the main difference between the two is the powerbook's looks -- which for many is the deciding factor -- and the powerbook's superior graphics card. Some people also prefer the powerbook's keyboard, which feels more solid, though I like the soft touch of the iBook keyboard. For more, check out the Guide Page (http://guides.macrumors.com/Buying_a_PowerBook_versus_iBook).

iAFC
Nov 3, 2005, 01:09 PM
Actually, both iBook and PowerBook are gorgeous in my opinion. I think the most important factor for me is the bright of the screen. Which one has better bright? :confused:

I think I will take the iBook... I don't see myself expending extra $200 and getting a smaller screen. :p

Thanks for the help!

amac4me
Nov 3, 2005, 01:13 PM
Congrats on the decision to make the Switch :)

mpw
Nov 3, 2005, 01:24 PM
As a very happy 12"iBook owner if I were in your position I'd go for the 12" PBook. For $200 you're getting twice the disc space and the super-drive plus a better graphic card and IMO a more future-resilient notebook.

iAFC
Nov 3, 2005, 01:29 PM
As a very happy 12"iBook owner if I were in your position I'd go for the 12" PBook. For $200 you're getting twice the disc space and the super-drive plus a better graphic card and IMO a more future-resilient notebook.
Twice the disk space? The iBook's got a 60 GB HDD, while the PB's got a 80 GB HDD. iBook has SuperDrive too. ;)

I'm talking about the 14-inch model. You're thinking I'm considering a 12" iBook.

mpw
Nov 4, 2005, 02:40 PM
Twice the disk space? The iBook's got a 60 GB HDD, while the PB's got a 80 GB HDD. iBook has SuperDrive too. ;)

I'm talking about the 14-inch model. You're thinking I'm considering a 12" iBook.
Now you look here, I've been playing catch up on 46episodes of The West Wing from two boxed sets that needed to be back at Blockbusters tonight and I had to sit through the whole of Star Wars III because I loved the first three movies as a kid and felt I needed to complete the journey even if the last two movies had me nearly in tears for all the wrong reasons plus my in-laws are staying so I'm sharing my bedroom with my kids and the only time I have to watch all the above is after they've all gone to bed and then I can't have the volume up as loud as I want it plus because I've got to entertain all my nephews etc. I haven't been to the coffee shop for like a week so if I make a couple of easy mistake get off my back and anyway the 12" PowerBook is still the one to go for IMO....*breath, happy place*....*breath, happy place*...*brea..etc.

plinkoman
Nov 4, 2005, 04:17 PM
^wow, that was a long sentence^

i'd recommend the powerbook, it's just so much sexier ;)

besides, i've never found any value in the 14" iBook, it has the same resolution as the 12", and i wouldn't pay more just for a bigger screen that isn't really bigger, but i would pay more for a smaller screen that isn't really smaller and has a better bus speed, gpu, superdrive, bigger hd, and looks hotter :p

aquajet
Nov 4, 2005, 04:48 PM
Now you look here, I've been playing catch up on 46episodes of The West Wing from two boxed sets that needed to be back at Blockbusters tonight and I had to sit through the whole of Star Wars III because I loved the first three movies as a kid and felt I needed to complete the journey even if the last two movies had me nearly in tears for all the wrong reasons plus my in-laws are staying so I'm sharing my bedroom with my kids and the only time I have to watch all the above is after they've all gone to bed and then I can't have the volume up as loud as I want it plus because I've got to entertain all my nephews etc. I haven't been to the coffee shop for like a week so if I make a couple of easy mistake get off my back and anyway the 12" PowerBook is still the one to go for IMO....*breath, happy place*....*breath, happy place*...*brea..etc.

Wow.