PDA

View Full Version : Running 10.9...don't see much difference

blasto2236
Jun 11, 2013, 12:53 AM
Other than Candybar losing some of my skinned icons... I don't see anything different about 10.9. Just finished the install. No Maps, no iBooks. Calendar looks different. That's about it. Definitely wasn't worth the wait.

Edit - nevermind, I see Maps now.

Cougarcat
Jun 11, 2013, 12:59 AM
You're a brave soul installing beta 1 on your main install. Let us know if anything does not work (though I will certainly wait for a few more betas at least.)

Dalton63841
Jun 11, 2013, 01:07 AM
Other than Candybar losing some of my skinned icons... I don't see anything different about 10.9. Just finished the install. No Maps, no iBooks. Calendar looks different. That's about it. Definitely wasn't worth the wait.

Edit - nevermind, I see Maps now.

I'm running it and there is quite a bit different... Finder tabs is a huge difference all by itself. Also, there is Maps.
You're a brave soul installing beta 1 on your main install. Let us know if anything does not work (though I will certainly wait for a few more betas at least.)

So far it seems to be running very well. I'm on a mid-2009 13" MBP. I haven't run into anything wonky yet.

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 11, 2013, 01:08 AM
Huh, Safari is a bagillion times faster (than Safari or Chrome)
Maps is bad ass. Calendar integration with traffic is nice.
Finder Tabs are also nice.

blasto2236
Jun 11, 2013, 01:16 AM
This post was probably a bit premature. I see a few changes. Mostly I'm just trying to get Candybar to change all of the icons back to stock, which it seems to not want to do. And it's no longer supported. So good luck if you had been using Candybar icons.

Tabs in Finder is a welcome addition. It's a shame that it's so late, as I haven't had any notifications I could try the QR feature on yet :)

I'm not worried about running a beta on all of my machines at once. I can always reinstall ML if things went completely haywire, ditto for iOS 6.1.4. Regular Time Machine and iCloud backups keep me from being too worried about much of anything.

benwiggy
Jun 11, 2013, 02:50 AM
Hate to be a party pooper, but aren't you breaching the NDA by discussing features of the beta here?

OR did you get a torrented version already?

TranceMessiah
Jun 11, 2013, 03:27 AM
The only reason I'd like to try the beta is to see if the UI lag persists on the rMBP.

What is the OP running it on?

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 11, 2013, 06:20 AM
Hate to be a party pooper, but aren't you breaching the NDA by discussing features of the beta here?
No, because Apple does the same:
http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/

Krazy Bill
Jun 11, 2013, 08:18 AM
Mostly I'm just trying to get Candybar to change all of the icons back to stock, which it seems to not want to do. And it's no longer supported. So good luck if you had been using Candybar icons. Never understood why people expect all their 3rd party crap to work with the first beta release of an OS.

Why not just keep 10.9 clean and run it through its paces first?

Michael Goff
Jun 11, 2013, 08:19 AM
I'm seeing better performance, and a few cool little bugs (at least I hope they're bugs)

Ddyracer
Jun 11, 2013, 08:32 AM
I'm seeing better performance, and a few cool little bugs (at least I hope they're bugs)

Bugs? Details please.

Michael Goff
Jun 11, 2013, 08:44 AM
Bugs? Details please.

-Spotlight has had an off and on relationship with the "Apps using Significant Power" spot. At first, it was because it was indexing again. Then it stopped, and even a restart quickly had it using a larger amount of power
-Shutdown is slower than in Mountain Lion for me. This might not be a bug, but I hope it is.
-When I put in "WebKit" into my Spotlight (which the nightly doesn't work yet folks, but that's expected), I get multiple versions of it that do nothing. Seriously, they open up to saying that the application isn't there. Kind of afraid to delete any of them, though, on the off chance that one of them is powering the main Safari.

Small things, not enough to make me want to go back. It looks nice, responds nice, and is overall better than Mountain Lion already. Also, Maps is a bit slow to open... but that's just nitpicking.

Ddyracer
Jun 11, 2013, 08:47 AM
-Shutdown is slower than in Mountain Lion for me. This might not be a bug, but I hope it is.

Uh oh. I was hoping for faster shutdowns and boot ups.

Michael Goff
Jun 11, 2013, 08:48 AM

Oh, boot up is slightly faster.

Shutdown, though? Ugh.

w0lf
Jun 11, 2013, 09:06 AM

Shutdown has been terrible for me so far.

blasto2236
Jun 11, 2013, 11:21 AM
Oh, boot up is slightly faster.

Shutdown, though? Ugh.

Weird. Shutdown is the same for me, but booting up takes about 2x as long as it did in ML.

----------

Never understood why people expect all their 3rd party crap to work with the first beta release of an OS.

Why not just keep 10.9 clean and run it through its paces first?

I did "keep it clean", the Candybar icon replacements carried over from ML.

Honestly, with Candybar no longer being supported (even on previous OS versions), I'd imagine I'd have had the same problem if I tried to replace them in ML. It's just not compatible with today's OS X anymore.

matt2053
Jun 11, 2013, 10:38 PM

It's not even a beta. It's a developer preview build (per-beta).

cschmelz
Jun 14, 2013, 12:15 AM
It's not even a beta. It's a developer preview build (per-beta).

That is a beta in all recent Apple speaků Let's not kid ourself on that.

matt2053
Jun 24, 2013, 03:48 PM
That is a beta in all recent Apple speaků Let's not kid ourself on that.

No it's not, all OS X betas are called "Betas" not developer previews.

It seems that since OS X resources were pulled of to work on iOS 7, Mavericks is behind schedule and not into beta phase yet.

dazcox5181
Jun 25, 2013, 04:28 AM
No, actually the poster was right, Apple 'Developer Previews' of OSs are the equivalent of beta releases, internal testing only for 'alpha' and true 'beta' releases, then what is let out to developers is more or less done. See Mountain Lion and previous releases - no 'beta' release just 4 (IIRC) developer previews then I think the GM. Actually was a pretty smooth process just needing fresh install for the public release.

ErikGrim
Jun 25, 2013, 08:02 AM
Hate to be a party pooper, but aren't you breaching the NDA by discussing features of the beta here?That's OK. The feeling is mutual.

treichert
Jun 25, 2013, 08:05 AM

It seems that since OS X resources were pulled of to work on iOS 7, Mavericks is behind schedule and not into beta phase yet.

If that were true, both Lion and Mountain Lion have never been in Beta.

Apples Developer Previews are their Betas. It's just that.

nutmac
Jun 25, 2013, 12:36 PM
Mavericks (10.9):Mountain Lion (10.8) = Snow Leopard (10.6):Leopard (10.5)

To power users, Snow Leopard represents the pinnacle of stability and performance. Mavericks aims to give those folks reasons to upgrade, with significantly improved memory management (DP1 had some memory management bugs, but DP2 has been very solid to me so far), longer battery life, and improved performance throughout.

To that end, while number of "visible" improvements are not significant, there are few improvements that even casual users may appreciate:

iCloud Keychain (synchronize login password and credit cards between iOS and OS X)
New apps: Maps (included), iBooks (to arrive in Mac App Store)
Multiple displays: Menu bar and full screen apps on multiple displays
Finder: Tabs, tags
Less skeuomorphism in Calendar, Contacts, login screen
Activity Monitor: Energy report

cschmelz
Jul 9, 2013, 09:56 PM

Prove it sir.

PeterHolbrook
Jul 10, 2013, 02:35 AM
Please, erase.