PDA

View Full Version : How to build a bootable USB Installer

Dalton63841
Jun 11, 2013, 03:57 AM
I was asked to build this. I could have sworn it used to be done the same way, but whatever. Here you go:

1. Show hidden files by opening /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and typing the following:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder
2. Right click Installer.app file and click Show Package Contents, Open Contents folder, then look in SharedSupport folder. You will see InstallESD.dmg.
3. Mount InstallESD.dmg.
4. Copy the BaseSystem.dmg file out to somewhere convenient.
5. Do not mount BaseSystem.dmg. Just open Disk Utility and restore it to a flash drive.
6. When that's done look in the flash drive you just restored to and go to /System/Installation/. In that folder you will see a white icon with an arrow called Packages. That's a broken alias. Delete it.
7. Now go back to your InstallESD.dmg file. Inside is a folder weighing in at about 4.5GB called Packages. Copy that folder onto the flash drive in place of where the alias was.
8. Go ahead and hide the hidden folders again by going back to the Terminal and typing:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder
9. Done. Boot from the flash drive and get to work.

As per usual, don't blame me if you screw up. If you somehow need these instructions simpler don't be afraid to ask. Lots of smart people around here.

Here's a video tutorial courtesy of mmomega:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSfMX8M9Qsw

maylen
Jun 11, 2013, 05:05 AM
Thank you! Works like charm

vendini
Jun 11, 2013, 05:25 AM
Thank you so much!

ssn637
Jun 11, 2013, 06:17 AM
Awesome! Still no solution on the Developer Forum. You just saved me a bunch of time on a clean installation. Thanks so much.

Bear
Jun 11, 2013, 07:23 AM
As per usual, don't blame me if you screw up. If you somehow need these instructions simpler don't be afraid to ask. Lots of smart people around here.Did you use an SD card or a USB Thumb drive? Also what size do you recommend? It sounds like 8GB is needed, but I wonder if it would be better to get 16GB to allow for future growth.

Dalton63841
Jun 11, 2013, 07:35 AM
Did you use an SD card or a USB Thumb drive? Also what size do you recommend? It sounds like 8GB is needed, but I wonder if it would be better to get 16GB to allow for future growth.

Either one will work. 8GB is plenty.

Leopard Installer: 8GB
Snow Leopard Installer: 7.5GB
Lion Installer: 5GB
Mountain Lion Installer: 5.5GB
Mavericks DP1 Installer: 6GB

I have a 64GB flash drive with every OS X Installer from Leopard to now on it. Each time a new OS comes out I make another 8GB partition on it.

Ritte
Jun 11, 2013, 07:49 AM
Thanks, works like a charm!

vickysud
Jun 11, 2013, 07:57 AM
When i mount InstallESD.dmg i only see packages folder. i want to do clean instal :(

robertpolson
Jun 11, 2013, 07:58 AM
I don't see "BaseSystem.dmg" anywhere. The only files inside OSX Install.dmg are

BaseSystemBinaries.pkg
BaseSystemResources.pkg

I am currently copying Restore - "OSX Install ESD" to my USB drive. Lets see if that works.

Edit: That did not work.

vickysud
Jun 11, 2013, 08:10 AM
Can anyone post a video on how to do it. When i mount InstalESD.dmg i only see packages folder. There is no BaseSystem.dmg file

robertpolson
Jun 11, 2013, 08:18 AM
Found the solution.

To see BaseSysemt.dmg, you need to

1. Open terminal

2. Enter "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES"

3. Hold Alt keyboard button and click on Finder - choose rellaunch finder.

4. You will then see hidden files and BaseSysemt.dmg

vickysud
Jun 11, 2013, 08:27 AM
Found the solution.

1. Open terminal

followed your steps sadly cannot see still. copy and paste ""defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES" (without quotes) after pressing enter i don't see anything

mount instalEsd.dmg again and still cannot see.

robertpolson
Jun 11, 2013, 08:43 AM
Worked for me. Make sure to Relaunch Finder after that and re-open the package content

krdnha
Jun 11, 2013, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the solution! It works.

Dalton63841
Jun 11, 2013, 09:22 AM
Found the solution.

1. Open terminal

Editing first post to make step 1 simpler.

jonlon15
Jun 11, 2013, 10:12 AM
This method does not create a recovery partition.

Does anyone know how to make a bootable drive that will install Mavericks AND a recovery partition?

hoosier205
Jun 11, 2013, 10:18 AM
I have the beta dmg file. I want to upgrade my 10.8 install to the beta without losing data. Is that possible or only a clean install?

w0lf
Jun 11, 2013, 10:22 AM
I have the beta dmg file. I want to upgrade my 10.8 install to the beta without losing data. Is that possible or only a clean install?

You can upgrade without losing any data.

For me it appears as if

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
and
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

take effect without restarting finder (you do have to refresh the window though, going to a new folder and back for example)

candrist
Jun 11, 2013, 12:58 PM
I am able to build a bootable usb drive. It boots, I get the apple logo, and then eventually I get a circle with a slash.

Anybody else run into this.

Regards,

Chris

MisterKeeks
Jun 11, 2013, 01:01 PM
I am able to build a bootable usb drive. It boots, I get the apple logo, and then eventually I get a circle with a slash.

Regards,

Chris

Perhaps you MBP is unsupported.

candrist
Jun 11, 2013, 01:03 PM
I tried to install it on Mac Mini that is supported and a Mid 2011 Air.

SalahDyne
Jun 11, 2013, 02:04 PM
Is there a way to do this but from a Windows Machine with Windows 7

Regards.

Hyldig
Jun 11, 2013, 02:15 PM

Regards,

Chris
Same happening here on 2012 MBA

tehjak3
Jun 11, 2013, 02:19 PM
I've followed your guide, and it's worked great to create the bootable USB but I'm currently having some problems with the installation. I get to the point where I choose what disk i'm going to install to, and then it just comes up with "Signing into the App Store" which I've provided an image of below. Any ideas?

http://i.imgur.com/s0rrqG0.jpg

Dalton63841
Jun 11, 2013, 02:23 PM

Regards,

Chris

Same happening here on 2012 MBA

Can you upload a screenshot of a Finder window that shows the file structure of your usb installer in list mode?

This is not what the file structure should look like, but this is an example of the screenshot I need to see. http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17390685&postcount=113

I've followed your guide, and it's worked great to create the bootable USB but I'm currently having some problems with the installation. I get to the point where I choose what disk i'm going to install to, and then it just comes up with "Signing into the App Store" which I've provided an image of below. Any ideas?

Image (http://i.imgur.com/s0rrqG0.jpg)
Mine never did that. I have no idea why it would.

Hyldig
Jun 11, 2013, 02:31 PM
Can you upload a screenshot of a Finder window that shows the file structure of your usb installer in list mode?
http://i.imgur.com/WEP4FE5.png

Anything specific you wanna see? Alot of files and folders on it :)

SalahDyne
Jun 11, 2013, 02:32 PM
Is there a way to do this but from a Windows Machine with Windows 7,
because i dont have access to Mac os X ?

Regards.

Dalton63841
Jun 11, 2013, 02:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/WEP4FE5.png

Anything specific you wanna see? Alot of files and folders on it :)
Everything looks right... Just curious, is your flash drive GUID or MBR format? Open Disk Utility, click on your flash drive on the left, and see what it says at the bottom next to Partition Map Scheme if your aren't sure.

Is there a way to do this but from a Windows Machine with Windows 7,
because i dont have access to Mac os X ?

Regards.

My assumption is that you are going to try to use this with a hackintosh. You will have to find some way of manipulating dmg filetypes and HFS filesystems. There are probably apps out there. Just google around, and good luck. It's not easy.

SalahDyne
Jun 11, 2013, 02:45 PM
Everything looks right... Just curious, is your flash drive GUID or MBR format? Open Disk Utility, click on your flash drive on the left, and see what it says at the bottom next to Partition Map Scheme if your aren't sure.

My assumption is that you are going to try to use this with a hackintosh. You will have to find some way of manipulating dmg filetypes and HFS filesystems. There are probably apps out there. Just google around, and good luck. It's not easy.

Can i do it from the recovery menu ?

Dalton63841
Jun 11, 2013, 02:48 PM
Can i do it from the recovery menu ?

What exactly are you trying to do? If you are on Windows only, then what recovery menu. Need more details.

Hyldig
Jun 11, 2013, 02:49 PM
Hmm says not formated in Disk Utility, and Unknown if i look it up in system information
Trying repartitioning and setting it to MBR

Dalton63841
Jun 11, 2013, 03:01 PM
Hmm says not formated in Disk Utility, and Unknown if i look it up in system information
Trying repartitioning and setting it to MBR

Actually my flash drive is GUID, although I'm not sure if it would make a difference.

Hyldig
Jun 11, 2013, 03:18 PM
Partitioning as MBR worked, clean install running now.
Thanks.

Zorn
Jun 11, 2013, 06:18 PM
Not having any luck with this. When I open the OS X Install ESD image, all thats in there is the Packages folder and nothing more. Any idea why I don't see an Installer app or anything like prior versions of OS X?

Dalton63841
Jun 11, 2013, 06:34 PM
Not having any luck with this. When I open the OS X Install ESD image, all thats in there is the Packages folder and nothing more. Any idea why I don't see an Installer app or anything like prior versions of OS X?

Inside InstallESD.dmg you will see BaseSystem.dmg IF you have hidden folders showing.

Make sure you can see hidden folders and files, and then if you still don't see BaseSystem.dmg, change your Finder view to List. It may just be off to the side where you can't see it.

Zorn
Jun 11, 2013, 06:41 PM
Inside InstallESD.dmg you will see BaseSystem.dmg IF you have hidden folders showing.

Make sure you can see hidden folders and files, and then if you still don't see BaseSystem.dmg, change your Finder view to List. It may just be off to the side where you can't see it.

Hidden folders are showing and all I have is BaseSystemResources.pkg and BaseSystemBinaries.pkg . Sort of confused how to start the install process, not really even needing to make a USB install drive.

Dalton63841
Jun 11, 2013, 06:56 PM
Hidden folders are showing and all I have is BaseSystemResources.pkg and BaseSystemBinaries.pkg . Sort of confused how to start the install process, not really even needing to make a USB install drive.

Where did you get your installer from? That is unlike everyone else. Are you just wanting to upgrade your system? If so just run the Install Mac OS X DP1.app. No need to go digging through it.

EDIT: Just so we are clear, the BaseSystem.dmg is not inside the Packages folder where all those .pkg files are. Inside InstallESD.dmg there will be a BaseSystem.dmg and the Packages folder.

Zorn
Jun 11, 2013, 07:04 PM
Where did you get your installer from? That is unlike everyone else. Are you just wanting to upgrade your system? If so just run the Install Mac OS X DP1.app. No need to go digging through it.

EDIT: Just so we are clear, the BaseSystem.dmg is not inside the Packages folder where all those .pkg files are. Inside InstallESD.dmg there will be a BaseSystem.dmg and the Packages folder.

Interesting. Perhaps the issue is in my download source. I do not have any Install Mac OS X DP1.app, which has always been present with any other developer betas I've used in the past.

jmonster66
Jun 11, 2013, 08:24 PM
when trying to restore basesystem.dmg to my flash drive I get "Could not restore - Resource busy"

help? :confused::confused::confused:

Twimfy
Jun 11, 2013, 08:45 PM
I was asked to build this. I could have sworn it used to be done the same way, but whatever. Here you go:

1. Show hidden files by opening /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and typing the following:

2. Right click Installer.app file and click Show Package Contents, Open Contents folder, then look in SharedSupport folder. You will see InstallESD.dmg.
3. Mount InstallESD.dmg.
4. Copy the BaseSystem.dmg file out to somewhere convenient.
5. Do not mount BaseSystem.dmg. Just open Disk Utility and restore it to a flash drive.
6. When that's done look in the flash drive you just restored to and go to /System/Installation/. In that folder you will see a white icon with an arrow called Packages. That's a broken alias. Delete it.
7. Now go back to your InstallESD.dmg file. Inside is a folder weighing in at about 4.5GB called Packages. Copy that folder onto the flash drive in place of where the alias was.
8. Go ahead and hide the hidden folders again by going back to the Terminal and typing:

9. Done. Boot from the flash drive and get to work.

As per usual, don't blame me if you screw up. If you somehow need these instructions simpler don't be afraid to ask. Lots of smart people around here.

Can confirm it works. Thanks for the help with this yesterday.

Dalton63841
Jun 11, 2013, 08:55 PM
when trying to restore basesystem.dmg to my flash drive I get "Could not restore - Resource busy"

help? :confused::confused::confused:

Make sure that BaseSystem.dmg is not mounted.

xdxdaustin
Jun 11, 2013, 10:33 PM
Make sure that BaseSystem.dmg is not mounted.

I also got that. Sometimes you need to unmount the flash drive partition (note: not the flash drive itself) as well

Jab00
Jun 12, 2013, 01:21 AM
Either one will work. 8GB is plenty.

Leopard Installer: 8GB
Snow Leopard Installer: 7.5GB
Lion Installer: 5GB
Mountain Lion Installer: 5.5GB
Mavericks DP1 Installer: 6GB

I have a 64GB flash drive with every OS X Installer from Leopard to now on it. Each time a new OS comes out I make another 8GB partition on it.

Hey I just did this as well thanks to your idea and I was just curious how you went about changing the name of each partition so you knew what you were looking at when you booted to it? I currently have tried changing it just in finder (to OS X 10.8 Install)but when I go to boot off of it it shows up as Mac OS X.. Any Advice?

Dalton63841
Jun 12, 2013, 02:02 AM
Hey I just did this as well thanks to your idea and I was just curious how you went about changing the name of each partition so you knew what you were looking at when you booted to it? I currently have tried changing it just in finder (to OS X 10.8 Install)but when I go to boot off of it it shows up as Mac OS X.. Any Advice?

There is no way to change it. They are given that title by the Mac's EFI. My installers are put on the flash drive in order, so the first yellow icon is 10.5, second is 10.6, and so on.

I will give you one tip though. If you use a huge flash drive like I did and want to use the excess space as a normal flash drive, you can keep the Installer partitions from mounting in Finder every time with one Terminal command.

After you build the installer, go into Terminal and type in:
diskutil list
Take note of /dev/diskXsY replacing X and Y with the appropriate numbers for the installer partition on the flash drive. Then type in the following command using the numbers you just got from the previous command:
sudo asr adjust --target /dev/diskXsY --settype Apple_Boot

That will make it a hidden partition just like the Recovery partition. It will still boot to the installer just like normal, but won't pop up in finder EVERY time you plug in the flash drive. You will need to do that command once for each installer partition.

If you need to make the installer partition visible again, just go back to Terminal and type:
sudo asr adjust --target /dev/<disk> --settype Apple_HFS

helios16v
Jun 12, 2013, 02:58 AM
I just did an upgrade install and my Mac mini is deathly slow so I want to do a clean install but I'm having a little bit of a brain fart here.

When you say to "restore it to a flash drive" do you simply mean click restore and restore the BaseSystem.DMG straight to the flash drive or do I need to format the flash drive to +HFS, make a GUID partition, then restore?

When I made my copy of 10.8 on a flash drive I had to have the flash drive formatted to +HFS, make a GUID partition so it's bootable, then I could restore.

Dalton63841
Jun 12, 2013, 03:02 AM
I just did an upgrade install and my Mac mini is deathly slow so I want to do a clean install but I'm having a little bit of a brain fart here.

When you say to "restore it to a flash drive" do you simply mean click restore and restore the BaseSystem.DMG straight to the flash drive or do I need to format the flash drive to +HFS, make a GUID partition, then restore?

When I made my copy of 10.8 on a flash drive I had to have the flash drive formatted to +HFS, make a GUID partition so it's bootable, then I could restore.

Well someone else did there's in MBR and they said it worked. To be on the safe side though, it is probably best to make sure it is a GUID partition scheme.

Masaki79
Jun 12, 2013, 10:20 AM
I have found the basesystem.dmg and I try to restore that file to the flash drive and nothing happens. Anyone else having this problem?

Jab00
Jun 12, 2013, 11:53 AM
There is no way to change it. They are given that title by the Mac's EFI. My installers are put on the flash drive in order, so the first yellow icon is 10.5, second is 10.6, and so on.

Well I did a little digging last night and found this line of terminal code that may be useful to you
sudo bless --folder "/Volumes/Mac OS X Lion Install ESD" -label "Lion Install"
Where you can change the "Mac OS X Lion Install ESD" to the current name of your drive and the "Lion Install" to what you want your drives to appear as.... As far as I can tell it hasn't messed with the drives in any way except making them identifiable!

Dalton63841
Jun 12, 2013, 01:32 PM
Well I did a little digging last night and found this line of terminal code that may be useful to you
sudo bless --folder "/Volumes/Mac OS X Lion Install ESD" -label "Lion Install"
Where you can change the "Mac OS X Lion Install ESD" to the current name of your drive and the "Lion Install" to what you want your drives to appear as.... As far as I can tell it hasn't messed with the drives in any way except making them identifiable!

That's awesome! Thanks.

Concorde Rules
Jun 12, 2013, 02:00 PM

http://i.imgur.com/s0rrqG0.jpg

You didn't follow the guide to the letter.

I had this problem, turned out I missed the bit about replacing the alias.

neilmacd
Jun 12, 2013, 05:11 PM
I'm curious, why can't I just use the old method of simply restoring InstallESD.dmg to a drive/disc? Why do we need to mess around with packages? :confused:

Dalton63841
Jun 12, 2013, 05:17 PM
I'm curious, why can't I just use the old method of simply restoring InstallESD.dmg to a drive/disc? Why do we need to mess around with packages? :confused:

Not sure. Others tried and it didn't work, so something must have changed.

helios16v
Jun 12, 2013, 05:48 PM
it is probably best to make sure it is a GUID partition scheme.
I made one with a GUID partiton and it works great in my Mac mini, it's amazing how much faster a clean install is versus an upgrade!

torana355
Jun 12, 2013, 07:17 PM

It does not work anymore, it does not make the usb stick bootable for some reason. This way is better anyway as it is much faster to install and does not have that useless recovery partition.

robertpolson
Jun 12, 2013, 07:27 PM
I successfully created and installed from a bootable USB using this guide.

However, I have problem.

I did a clean install of 10.9 Mavericks and when I try to turn on Find My Mac, I get an error message:

Find My Mac requires a recovery partition.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ue2oub48z7...%20Problem.jpg

How can this be fixed?

Dalton63841
Jun 12, 2013, 07:34 PM
I successfully created and installed from a bootable USB using this guide.

However, I have problem.

I did a clean install of 10.9 Mavericks and when I try to turn on Find My Mac, I get an error message:

Find My Mac requires a recovery partition.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ue2oub48z7...%20Problem.jpg

How can this be fixed?

For whatever reason, it doesn't create a recovery partition. I am in the process right at this moment of fixing that problem. Just give me a bit.

robertpolson
Jun 12, 2013, 09:16 PM
Please let us know how to fix the existing installation. Do we need to erase everything and reinstall again or can we just update the existing installation?

Dalton63841
Jun 13, 2013, 01:59 AM
Please let us know how to fix the existing installation. Do we need to erase everything and reinstall again or can we just update the existing installation?

It does not create the Recovery partition this way because BaseSystem.dmg is part of the Recovery partition, which doesn't exist in it's dmg form on the installer. My method will just update the existing install.

EDIT: I have it worked out completely now. It's actually quite simple, but it's late and I'm tired. When I wake up I will be posting a full tutorial for creating a REAL recovery partition that is recognized by Find My Mac, AND a second tutorial on how to make the Recovery partition not need to download the installation files, which saves a ton of time if you ever have to use it.

daneoni
Jun 13, 2013, 06:43 AM
It does not create the Recovery partition this way because BaseSystem.dmg is part of the Recovery partition, which doesn't exist in it's dmg form on the installer. My method will just update the existing install.

EDIT: I have it worked out completely now. It's actually quite simple, but it's late and I'm tired. When I wake up I will be posting a full tutorial for creating a REAL recovery partition that is recognized by Find My Mac, AND a second tutorial on how to make the Recovery partition not need to download the installation files, which saves a ton of time if you ever have to use it.

Thanks. We'll wait...

http://www.ohmagif.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/hello-there-im-still-waiting.gif

torana355
Jun 13, 2013, 08:21 AM

Look forward to it. :)

Dalton63841
Jun 13, 2013, 08:59 AM
Okay here it is.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17416978#post17416978

It's big, but it's actually pretty simple. I tried to spell everything out as much as possible to minimize confusion.

nick8539
Jun 13, 2013, 10:40 PM
I'm pretty certain I've done everything right but keep getting the Circle with the slash on it when I try to boot from USB.

I've tried partitioning the USB as GUID and as MBR as someone suggested it worked for them that way previously. Still not working for me.

Don't know what else I can try. I have a Mac Mni Mid 2011 version. I believe it should be compatible.

Thoughts?

Dalton63841
Jun 13, 2013, 10:53 PM
I'm pretty certain I've done everything right but keep getting the Circle with the slash on it when I try to boot from USB.

I've tried partitioning the USB as GUID and as MBR as someone suggested it worked for them that way previously. Still not working for me.

Don't know what else I can try. I have a Mac Mni Mid 2011 version. I believe it should be compatible.

Thoughts?

Show hidden files, and Go to your flash drive and look at System/Installation/ in Finder, and take a screenshot of the Finder window and post it here.

nick8539
Jun 13, 2013, 11:01 PM
I deleted the Package alias and copied over the actual Package folder that was around 4.5GB. I just reformatted the USB drive because i was just going to go ahead and install mountain lion on the Mac instead.

Now, I was updating from 10.7 to 10.9 do you think that may have anything to do with it?

I'll post the screenshot shortly to see if maybe I missed anything

nick8539
Jun 13, 2013, 11:28 PM
Here's a screenshot of the Flash drive and files. It's actually an older 20GB hard drive which I'm using.

Dalton63841
Jun 13, 2013, 11:31 PM
Here's a screenshot of the Flash drive and files. It's actually an older 20GB hard drive which I'm using.

Well the file structure is perfect. My best guess is maybe it doesn't like the drive you are using.

nick8539
Jun 14, 2013, 12:01 AM
I'm thinking the same thing, I didn't have an extra flash drive to try so I grabbed a very old RCA 20GB HD.

I'll try to grab a flash drive from work and try it again tomorrow.

robertpolson
Jun 15, 2013, 05:08 PM
Okay here it is.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17416978#post17416978

It's big, but it's actually pretty simple. I tried to spell everything out as much as possible to minimize confusion.

Thank you very much for sharing all your work with the community.

To be clear, there is no way to have a recovery partition to be installed when installing from scratch? We have to use your original guide to making a bootable USB drive and then follow the second guide to create the recovery partition?

Hungry&Foolish
Jun 15, 2013, 05:17 PM
http://osxdaily.com/2013/06/12/make-boot-os-x-mavericks-usb-install-drive/ http://osxdaily.com/2013/06/15/dual-boot-os-x-10-9-mavericks-and-os-x-10-8/

mmomega
Jun 15, 2013, 10:29 PM
Making a quick video, I'll post it up soon.

Dalton63841
Jun 15, 2013, 11:33 PM
Making a quick video, I'll post it up soon.

Thanks. That should help for those who may not understand what I'm saying. I am not the best at spelling out what I mean. If you don't mind I will link to the video in the first post.

mmomega
Jun 16, 2013, 10:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSfMX8M9Qsw

The colors are off to say the least, it must be something with Mavericks because screen flow works perfect under ML for me.

MrNomNoms
Jun 16, 2013, 11:18 AM
Worse case scenario when it comes to a clean install there is always the possibility of doing a forced internet recovery and do a clean install directly off the server - it isn't the most ideal solution but I guess it avoids having to jump through hoops. It would be interesting to know the reasoning behind the change or whether it was simply to spite those of us users who would sooner do a clean install than taking our chances with the hit/miss of upgrading.

mmomega
Jun 16, 2013, 11:23 AM
Worse case scenario when it comes to a clean install there is always the possibility of doing a forced internet recovery and do a clean install directly off the server - it isn't the most ideal solution but I guess it avoids having to jump through hoops. It would be interesting to know the reasoning behind the change or whether it was simply to spite those of us users who would sooner do a clean install than taking our chances with the hit/miss of upgrading.

I was not able to do a forced internet recovery on 10.9.

Seed notes even state it is not supported at this point.

MrNomNoms
Jun 16, 2013, 11:36 AM
I was not able to do a forced internet recovery on 10.9.

Seed notes even state it is not supported at this point.

Well obviously it isn't supported at this point because it relies on it being available on publicly facing servers and consumers able to purchase it via the AppStore; when it becomes accessible on the AppStore then it'll be available via internet recovery.

chell
Jun 25, 2013, 04:35 AM
I've got a bit of a problem:

I've restored InstallESD.dmg to my USB drive. When I mount BaseSystem.dmg it won't let me delete the alias. Anyone know what's up with that? My USB drive is formatted as "Mac OS Extended" if that matters.

Thanks!

Dalton63841
Jun 25, 2013, 04:43 AM
I've got a bit of a problem:

I've restored InstallESD.dmg to my USB drive. When I mount BaseSystem.dmg it won't let me delete the alias. Anyone know what's up with that? My USB drive is formatted as "Mac OS Extended" if that matters.

Thanks!

You have to restore BaseSystem.dmg to the flash drive, not InstallESD.dmg. After that you delete the alias on the flash drive.

chell
Jun 25, 2013, 05:00 AM
You have to restore BaseSystem.dmg to the flash drive, not InstallESD.dmg. After that you delete the alias on the flash drive.

Oh, I see thanks! I'm a bit of a dummy today so your help is much appreciated!

Dalton63841
Jun 25, 2013, 05:12 AM
Oh, I see thanks! I'm a bit of a dummy today so your help is much appreciated!

No problem! But hey actually I hear Lion DiskMaker has been updated now. This guide is pretty much deprecated now.

chell
Jun 25, 2013, 05:13 AM
Too late! Or would you recommend using Lion DiskMaker instead of your method?

Dalton63841
Jun 25, 2013, 05:19 AM
Too late! Or would you recommend using Lion DiskMaker instead of your method?

Haha either way works equally well, just I would think Lion DiskMaker would be easier.

Myself I've stopped using flash drives to make installers. Instead I have been customizing the Recovery partition to be an offline installer (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1598564). I did build myself an Applescript app to make it a 2-click function though.

xkons
Sep 8, 2013, 06:23 AM
First of all i'd like to thank you for this great guide, but is it possible to say if it will be the same procedure for creating a bootable usb drive when mac os x mavericks is officially released or could i be that they will make it as "simple" as with mountain lion?

An answer is much appreciated :D

Weaselboy
Sep 8, 2013, 08:31 AM
First of all i'd like to thank you for this great guide, but is it possible to say if it will be the same procedure for creating a bootable usb drive when mac os x mavericks is officially released or could i be that they will make it as "simple" as with mountain lion?

An answer is much appreciated :D

It is different, but can be done. There is a user here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1594017) that explains how to do it. There is also a new version of LionDiskmaker for Mavericks (http://liondiskmaker.com/?p=156) in the works.

xkons
Sep 8, 2013, 01:15 PM
It is different, but can be done. There is a user here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1594017) that explains how to do it. There is also a new version of LionDiskmaker for Mavericks (http://liondiskmaker.com/?p=156) in the works.

Thanks for the quick answer but I'm afraid you didn't get me right. I'm aware of the starting post of this thread. What i'm trying to ask is... this procedure is working for all developer previews of Mavericks that have been released. But what about the MacAppStore Version? Is there a possibility that they will change the method of creating a bootable usb drive of mavericks in the "released" version?

Weaselboy
Sep 8, 2013, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the quick answer but I'm afraid you didn't get me right. I'm aware of the starting post of this thread. What i'm trying to ask is... this procedure is working for all developer previews of Mavericks that have been released. But what about the MacAppStore Version? Is there a possibility that they will change the method of creating a bootable usb drive of mavericks in the "released" version?

Apologies. Yes, I did misunderstand your question. :)

I suppose nobody knows for certain at this point, but it does seem late in the game to be changing things up like that.

tywebb13
Sep 8, 2013, 03:54 PM
this procedure is working for all developer previews of Mavericks that have been released.

no it isn't.

there are only full installers for dp1 and 4.

procedure for making a bootable usb for dp4 is different

apple made an executable file called createinstallmedia for dp4 which is not in dp1.

here are instructions for dp4:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17716412&postcount=14