Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mvdb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
On the iPhone 4, iOS 7 has all the fancy UI effects disabled: no dynamic backgrounds, no blurry transparencies, nothing.

Some UI elements are just plain gray such as the dock. This is ridiculous. It looks terrible.

Did anyone find a workaround to enable the UI effects in iOS 7?

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
On the iPhone 4, iOS 7 has all the fancy UI effects disabled: no dynamic backgrounds, no blurry transparencies, nothing.

Some UI elements are just plain gray such as the dock. This is ridiculous. It looks terrible.

Okay I was wondering about that. I was sitting here looking at my iPhone 4 and thinking.... "I don't get it".

That having been said I wouldn't call it horrible, but I do call all those fancy UI elements a black hole of wasted resources and wrecked battery life, so I'm actually okay with it.

Thierry ba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Sarajevo, Bosnia
iOS 7 on iPhone 4 :/

No live/animated lockscreen
No 3D background on homescreen
No transparency
No weather effects
No nothing
Slow as hell, 3fps animations, scrolling etc

What did they do to iOS. :(

If I wanted this I'd get android. Getting back to beautiful iOS6. :rolleyes:

TOOFY

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Long Awhlandddd, NY
That phone is nearly 3 years old... you are lucky to even get an update from Android after 1 year on a device they sell. The hardware cant keep up with the new OS. What did you expect a smooth sail?

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC

I'm not sure you'd want to enable them at this point in iPhone 4. As it is, with nothing else open, it sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries just to install an app on the 4. The betas will have to improve significantly for the 4 to even be usable on iOS 7.

Thierry ba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Sarajevo, Bosnia
That phone is nearly 3 years old... you are lucky to even get an update from Android after 1 year on a device they sell. The hardware cant keep up with the new OS. What did you expect a smooth sail?

How could they release this for iPhone4 in first place. They shouldve said its only iPhone5 compatible, because I've seen it on 4S, same **** there. iOS6 isnt 3 years old still its smooth sail.

Last edited by a moderator:

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
You're jumping to conclusions, in my opinion. it's a beta and the first one at that. Let's just wait and hope that it becomes faster as the beta progresses.

audioteknika

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2008
I agree that it lags like hell now.

I'm confident that the the release version will speed things up by a fair bit.

Be aware that alot have changed under the hood too, and I'm sure Apple engineers have focused their attention more on iPhone 5 in order to release a stable preview.

AlanFord

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Cro

And? Back in days things worked for years and years, and now they force us to buy new things every two years, and with every new product they claim its better and durable then one before. Consumerism.

I really have no need to buy new iphone cause my iphone 4 still works fine, and can do everything with him what i need to. Dont take photos, so camera is not important to me, siri dont function in my country, so all that new feauters are no must for me that will have some benefit.

Romainf

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2006
Geneva
I am in the process of downgrading back to IOS 6 after not even an hour.... It was slow and laggy, and most non native apple apps would just crash on launch...

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
How could they release this for iPhone4 in first place. They shouldve said its only iPhone5 compatible, because I've seen it on 4S, same **** there. iOS6 isnt 3 years old still its smooth sail.

Because if they didn't release it for the iPhone 4, you'd be here complaining about them not supporting your phone.

The iPhone 4 is a three year old device. In today's rapidly advancing world of mobile technology, it's ancient. It's amazing that it runs iOS 7 at all. That said, it's currently in the beta stage and it's not perfectly smooth even on the iPhone 5. So be patient and things will be better by the time iOS 7 officially launches.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I have been testing it on my iP4 since last night.

The OP is incorrenct - there *is* transparency. You can see it behind the control center. Or you can see the wallpaper slightly from folders. Or through the new keyboard.

What it isn't doing is taking on the color of the wallpaper like it's supposed to. Everything stays gray. Hoping just a bug.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Let's take a step back and think things through for a minute.

The iPhone 4 is 3 years old.

It has the same processor as the 3GS (which is now 4 years old). Just slightly more power efficient and 200mhz faster

The same GPU as the 3GS but the iPhone 4 is pushing twice the resolution and 4x the pixels

This is the very first beta of iOS 7

So what we have here is a 3 year old phone with 4 year old internals running a BETA OS and you're wondering why things aren't running as smooth as an iPhone 5?

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
And? Back in days things worked for years and years, and now they force us to buy new things every two years, and with every new product they claim its better and durable then one before. Consumerism.

Force you??? In what way do they force you? Ending updates? That's not forcing....hell, 37% of Android users [stats from the WWDC Keynote] are using Gingerbread, a version released 3 years ago. Do they feel forced to upgrade? Probably not.

People just update because they WANT to. Back in the day, things did work for years and years...and they still do now. People just have a bigger hunger for superfluous spending, so the iPhone 5 itself is seen as 'outdated' a day after its release just because the competition releases some brand new device.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
What I don't get is that why do they withhold those features mentioned when they give the iPhone 4 fancy things like the new multitasking view or the new view of multiple Safari pages. Both are far from fluent on the 4 right now.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I have a 4. Can you post some screenshots? I'd like to see :)

Now I'm wondering if I should upgrade or not. Wonder if it will be as bad as iOS4 on the 3G at final release...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.