PDA

View Full Version : Is there an automated fusion drive creator in 10.9?

byke
Jun 11, 2013, 07:35 AM
As per title, I was interested to know if apple has included a section that allows automated installations of fusion drives in 10.9?

Cheers

benwiggy
Jun 11, 2013, 09:48 AM
Can you explain what you want more clearly?

Do you want to automate the creation of a whole bunch of Fusion drives?
Or do you want to automate restoring a disk image to a whole bunch of Fusion drives?
Or something else? :confused:

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 11, 2013, 11:59 AM
I think they want the option it install an SSD and a SATA drive and create a "fusion" volume within disk utility.

The answer to the question is no.
You can however accomplish it via the terminal.

byke
Jun 11, 2013, 12:01 PM
Sorry, my mistake.
What I meant was this .....

Many people are making their own "fusion drives" rather than buying the official drives from apple.

However the process of taking 2 drives (one ssd and one normal hd) is quite long and cumbersome. I wondered if 10.9 had an automated part in say disk utility that takes 2 drives and creates a "fusion" drive, if requested.

Cougarcat
Jun 11, 2013, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I was hoping for this as well. Oh well, wasn't really expecting it, and configuring it via terminal is something you have to do only once.

Since the new Mac Pro doesn't have drive bays, I don't think Apple will ever add it.

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 11, 2013, 12:26 PM
Sorry, my mistake.
What I meant was this .....

Many people are making their own "fusion drives" rather than buying the official drives from apple.

However the process of taking 2 drives (one ssd and one normal hd) is quite long and cumbersome. I wondered if 10.9 had an automated part in say disk utility that takes 2 drives and creates a "fusion" drive, if requested.

Like I said, nope.
Terminal only.

jocamero
Jun 11, 2013, 05:07 PM
Since when is issuing three Terminal commands long and cumbersome? :confused:

Here's an in depth article that shows how it's done (http://jollyjinx.tumblr.com/post/34638496292/fusion-drive-on-older-macs-yes-since-apple-has).

The basic commands are:

diskutil cs create "Name" disk1 disk2
diskutil cs list
diskutil coreStorage createVolume "Your UUID from previous command" jhfs+ "Volume Name" 100%

However the process of taking 2 drives (one ssd and one normal hd) is quite long and cumbersome.

jocamero
Jul 9, 2013, 01:14 PM
So the DP3 release notes state:

- Fusion Drive volumes created with Developer Preview 3 are not compatible with OS X version 10.8.4 or earlier.

Might there be a way to do this now? :confused:

alexjohnson
Sep 6, 2013, 09:33 AM
Like I said, nope.
Terminal only.

I don't think this is right (or it might just be out of date). Disk Utility from OS X 10.8.3 onwards will do this from an external drive (like a USB thumb drive). It will wipe both drives though to create the Fusion volume. Source (and it worked for me) - look at comment from OWC Ben M:
http://blog.macsales.com/17624-os-x-10-8-3-provides-fusion-drive-setup-option-for-non-fusion-drive-equipped-macs/comment-page-2#comment-63944
Having said that, I do have a problem that Mavericks is not creating the Restore partition.

Warhawk15
Sep 8, 2013, 10:24 PM
So if I swiped out my disc drive and put in my stock 500gb hdd and did the terminal drive script and made it one drive, how would the overall speed be?
Would it be faster, slower, or just the same?
My main drive is a 256gb ocz vertex 4.

Cougarcat
Sep 8, 2013, 10:50 PM
So if I swiped out my disc drive and put in my stock 500gb hdd and did the terminal drive script and made it one drive, how would the overall speed be?
Would it be faster, slower, or just the same?
My main drive is a 256gb ocz vertex 4.

It would pretty much feel like you had a huge SSD. But it'll also depend on how full your drive is. It'll feel closer to a hard drive if you are using up all that space.