PDA

View Full Version : Is Mavericks stable enough to use?

HiFiGuy528
Jun 11, 2013, 08:33 AM
Thinking about trying it out along with iOS 7 on my 2011 Air and iPod Touch. Is the beta version stable enough to use on a daily machine?

Michael Goff
Jun 11, 2013, 08:34 AM
I hope so, because that's what I'm doing.

Drew017
Jun 11, 2013, 08:35 AM
It's pretty stable IMO, but don't use it as your main OS because it's a developer build. If you do make sure you have your data backed up ;)

kissmo
Jun 11, 2013, 08:35 AM
Thinking about trying it out along with iOS 7 on my 2011 Air and iPod Touch. Is the beta version stable enough to use on a daily machine?

Playing with it on my main MBP 17 inch since morning.

I haven't had any issues till now and feels very solid from my part.... till now...
We'll see later.

I heard some complains but honestly for me it's so smooth that I think I will suffer if I have to revert.

I am not exaggerating but apps are more responsive and the scrolling is unbelievable.

Trim Enabler works fine also - which is good.

I cannot recommend it but I can share my experience.

Ddyracer
Jun 11, 2013, 08:37 AM
Playing with it on my main MBP 17 inch since morning.

I haven't had any issues till now and feels very solid from my part.... till now...
We'll see later.

I heard some complains but honestly for me it's so smooth that I think I will suffer if I have to revert.

I am not exaggerating but apps are more responsive and the scrolling is unbelievable.

Trim Enabler works fine also - which is good.

I cannot recommend it but I can share my experience.

Sounds good. How is iTunes scrolling? It's been turtle slow since iTunes 11. At least with a scroll wheel anyhow.

negativzero
Jun 11, 2013, 09:00 AM
Installed it over my main OS. All my apps are working as expected :)
Its been bug-free so far. Only thing that irks me is that the Time Machine menubar icon doesn't spin when backing up :)

MacReloaded
Jun 11, 2013, 09:02 AM
Have had the Dashboard background gone missing and Mission Control stop working until a reboot. Other than that, it's been fine.

curtoise
Jun 11, 2013, 09:07 AM
Its been bug-free so far. Only thing that irks me is that the Time Machine menubar icon doesn't spin when backing up :)

The install will not ask you to backup all data and wipe everything out for a clean setup?

Can anybody confirm that it can be installed over ML and all data is preserved?

Dalton63841
Jun 11, 2013, 09:09 AM
The install will not ask you to backup all data and wipe everything out for a clean setup?

To update it would be easier to just use the Installer.app. That will preserve everything.

w0lf
Jun 11, 2013, 09:11 AM

I can confirm that, installed fine over an existing ml install. They actually didn't really provide any other way to install it as far as I'm aware.

curtoise
Jun 11, 2013, 09:22 AM
I can confirm that, installed fine over an existing ml install. They actually didn't really provide any other way to install it as far as I'm aware.

Thanks I assume you installed using the App Store by redeeming the code from the dev center right? I do not see any other way to install.

travisbrowning
Jun 11, 2013, 02:31 PM
Running great for me so far on my 09 MacBook White. Running better than Mountain Lion, IMO.

KBS756
Jun 11, 2013, 02:34 PM
Seems to be better at saving my CPU from hitting highs looking at iStat Menus and so far only minor glitches. Worth my installing on my Laptop and, maybe soon on my Pro

Installed on a partition first to make sure the applications I needed functioned correct though

FSUSem1noles
Jun 11, 2013, 03:04 PM
Installed it over Mountain Lion and currently running it on my 2012 Air which is my main computer. Haven't noticed anything that's a major bug that would prohibit daily use so I don't anticipate restoring back to Mountain Lion.. yes, there's some minor quirks, like safari will freeze for a brief moment here and there but again in the grand scheme it's minor..

ProphetX
Jun 11, 2013, 03:57 PM
I've been using in on my main mba (its really the only computer i have lol) and its been running great. There are quite a few bugs, but i haven't encountered anything that i can't work around.

Keep in mind my mba is used mostly for browsing, email and music. Im confident in using a beta os because my files are constantly backed up.

w0lf
Jun 11, 2013, 04:04 PM
If you aren't using it for work I'd say it could work as a main OS.

I haven't run into any bugs that prevent normal useage yet.

Slevin
Jun 11, 2013, 04:53 PM
The name of the main installer was OSInstall or was there another installer I should select?

petvas
Jun 11, 2013, 04:59 PM
I installed it today on my Macbook Pro Retina and had no issues whatsoever. I use my laptop for everything, but if I run into serious issues, I can revert to Mountain Lion any time I want to. Mavericks makes a great impression so far. I love the new Calendar app.

TAI182
Jun 11, 2013, 06:10 PM
I'm thinking of installing the 10.9 beta over ML on my early 2011 MBP as the only OS. This is the only computer I use.

For those who are using the beta exclusively, would this be a safe idea? I will back up with Time Machine before install, of course.

ProphetX
Jun 11, 2013, 06:14 PM
I'm thinking of installing the 10.9 beta over ML on my early 2011 MBP as the only OS. This is the only computer I use.

For those who are using the beta exclusively, would this be a safe idea? I will back up with Time Machine before install, of course.

Just be sure to back up your data. You should be good.

weegrim
Jun 11, 2013, 06:46 PM
Time Capsuled up to be on the safe side but so far looks good!
Took up no extra space!

TAI182
Jun 11, 2013, 06:57 PM
Just be sure to back up your data. You should be good.

Thanks! I will post here when I'm done.

Dalton63841
Jun 11, 2013, 07:02 PM
Thanks! I will post here when I'm done.

I used THIS (http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/09/moving-os-x-users-to-separate-partition.html) to put my entire /Users folder on its own partition so fresh installs don't kill my data.

A full day in I have put it through its paces with Safari, Transmission, Handbrake, all the iLife and iWorks apps, Filebot, Max, Quicktime, iTunes, Messages, etc... Most running simultaneously, and I can honestly say that other than Safari hanging for a couple seconds here and there I haven't ran into any reason not to keep it as my main OS.

Twimfy
Jun 11, 2013, 08:48 PM
Everything has been working just fine for me apart from some steam games which are laggy as hell.

Wormald
Jun 11, 2013, 10:31 PM
Anyone tried Better Touch Tool and/or Keyboard Maestro on Mavericks yet?

1BadMac
Jun 11, 2013, 10:45 PM
Backed up my data and did an install over 10.8.4 on a 2012 MBA. It runs, but I do notice the following:

- App Store will no longer open / turn on. Shows 1 update available, but no matter how many reboots, still bounces but won't start.

- Notification center worked upon initial reboot. Now does not. Similar behavior, will not load.

- Time machine no longer "spins" when backing up

Office 2011 (latest update), iPhoto, Aperture, Mail, and latest iTunes I can confirm are all working.

Cougarcat
Jun 11, 2013, 10:47 PM
Everything has been working just fine for me apart from some steam games which are laggy as hell.

What games? Anyone try Starcraft II?

DavidMarks
Jun 11, 2013, 11:01 PM
Running great for me so far on my 09 MacBook White. Running better than Mountain Lion, IMO.

Me too. Did you also experience a huge increase in battery life? I'm mind blown!

travisbrowning
Jun 11, 2013, 11:41 PM
Me too. Did you also experience a huge increase in battery life? I'm mind blown!

Yes, a little less than an hour and half more honestly.

Jessica Lares
Jun 12, 2013, 01:14 AM
I did a clean install, gave it 40GB to start with for now. Honestly, I can not bring myself to even quit and reboot Mountain Lion after installing Mavericks. This is literally the best performance I have gotten on my machine ever, and I originally had so many issues with it back when Lion came out. Every app I've reinstalled seems to be working okay so far.

But that probably has a lot to do with the sandboxing. Someone in another thread mentioned that Bartender doesn't work, but PopClip and others that I've bought in the Mac App Store work fine.

JDBN
Jun 12, 2013, 01:17 AM
I did a full upgrade on my main system - stupid but I'm in love with what I have seen/heard so far.

It's faster, more responsive - seems pretty sweet, albeit the small bugs.

JohnDoe98
Jun 12, 2013, 01:18 AM
- App Store will no longer open / turn on. Shows 1 update available, but no matter how many reboots, still bounces but won't start.

I had a similar issue, but then I loaded up the Airport utility and it told me I had an update for it (6.3), and that solved the issue with the App store, the update proceeded fine after that point. YMMV.

TAI182
Jun 12, 2013, 02:39 AM
Finally successfully upgraded to 10.9 as my main OS. So far so good.

DavidMarks
Jun 12, 2013, 02:42 AM
After roughly 12 hours of use, I notice Finder crashes a lot. The simple act of opening a finder window and scrolling down All My Files makes it crash. Other than that everything's swell.

Dalton63841
Jun 12, 2013, 02:44 AM
After roughly 12 hours of use, I notice Finder crashes a lot. The simple act of opening a finder window and scrolling down All My Files makes it crash. Other than that everything's swell.

Just curious. What machine are you using, and was it upgrade or clean install? I'm on a mid-2009 13" MBP, clean install, and I haven't experienced any crashes in the 24 hours I've been using it.

Lunfai
Jun 12, 2013, 03:15 AM

That window doesn't scroll for me with mouse; I have to use the scrollbar. Documents etc. all work correctly.

kissmo
Jun 12, 2013, 03:46 AM
I still am running very smooth with DP1.

Shutdown is slow though and startup is a little slower than ML - although I don't really care about these so much.

I only had once a small graphic issue when the menu bar didn't refresh for like 1 minute or so and there was no text then all of a sudden it reappeared. It happened once only.

I mainly ran Lightroom 5, PS CS6, Some Album design SW, Safari, iTunes, uTorrent, VLC, OnONE Perfect Suite, FCP X, Mail, FaceTime and Messages.

One thing I notice quite clear is the response of menus and actions in applications in general. I tend to have some lag when opening an App or something moves slow. Now... I am very very impressed.

Mavericks is as ML should have been. But this is just beta. We'll see how it ends up in the final version. I had experiences when some DPs were faster than GMs.

These I used extensively. Battery life has improved but just a little (maybe it's an illusion) however I find my fans spinning much less than before.

It seems like some improvements are working on the CPU load. I will see later on.

5pencer
Jun 12, 2013, 07:15 AM
Hi,

I installed this yesterday over ML on my 27 iMac (mid 2011)

My OS is installed on external 2TB Thunderbolt Velociraptor, and before now it was super fast at almost everything.

After Maverick, it's very sluggish. Many apps don't open, I just get the bouncing icons for about 50-60 seconds then nothing.

I also noticed WD Utilities doesn't even see the Raptor connected?

So, I've decided to roll back my iMac - for now at least. I also put Maverick on my rMBP. So far that works very well. Nice and smooth browsing in Safari etc.

Looks like Maverick doesn't like being on the external thunderbolt raptor.

Does anyone else have Maverick installed on an external thunderbolt drive?

Krazy Bill
Jun 12, 2013, 07:18 AM
...This is literally the best performance I have gotten on my machine ever, ... But that probably has a lot to do with the sandboxing. Perhaps. But I'd say a lot has to do with the fact you did a clean install.

benwiggy
Jun 12, 2013, 08:21 AM
Perhaps. But I'd say a lot has to do with the fact you did a clean install.
I didn't do a clean install and also have much better performance and battery life than every before on my 2009 MacBook.

But to answer the general question: No beta should be relied upon. Be prepared for things not to work or, worse, for implementations to change that affect data you hold.

juicywaterhouse
Jun 12, 2013, 09:13 AM
Can anyone confirm if this will be possible? My understanding is that it isn't. How do you guys (gender neutral) who did not install it on a partition, plan on going to the GM?

lcmazza
Jun 12, 2013, 09:50 AM

Shutdown is slow though and startup is a little slower than ML - although I don't really care about these so much.

I only had once a small graphic issue when the menu bar didn't refresh for like 1 minute or so and there was no text then all of a sudden it reappeared. It happened once only.

I mainly ran Lightroom 5, PS CS6, Some Album design SW, Safari, iTunes, uTorrent, VLC, OnONE Perfect Suite, FCP X, Mail, FaceTime and Messages.

One thing I notice quite clear is the response of menus and actions in applications in general. I tend to have some lag when opening an App or something moves slow. Now... I am very very impressed.

Mavericks is as ML should have been. But this is just beta. We'll see how it ends up in the final version. I had experiences when some DPs were faster than GMs.

These I used extensively. Battery life has improved but just a little (maybe it's an illusion) however I find my fans spinning much less than before.

It seems like some improvements are working on the CPU load. I will see later on.

Would you mind testing Premiere Pro and After Effects rendering using the GPU, like enconding a video file with GPU acceleration and a Raytrace 3D in After Effects?

Sorry if you don't know how to do that or if you can't, though :)

RJCP
Jun 12, 2013, 10:02 AM
Just installed it. It's fast. Like, really fast and snappy and responsive. There are still a few glitches regarding displaying other languages, but overall it feels very stable. System wide animations are a bliss, Launchpad animations are gorgeous, without those horrific resource hogging linen textures.
Safari feels great, scrolling in Mail is unbelievable as well.

This feels like rock solid OS. The Snow Leopard of its age and I'm running it on a late 2008 uMB.

torana355
Jun 12, 2013, 10:08 AM
Got DP1 running on my 2011 MBA, the biggest issue i see is the scrolling in Safari is really laggy, it is fine in Chrome and Firefox.

shznit
Jun 12, 2013, 11:12 AM
-Messages won't log into my iMessage account
-Spotlight dropdown sometimes doesn't appear on other monitors
-BTT crashes when trying to add app-specific gestures
-I can't find a way to disable 3 finger scrolling
-everything locks up when trying to change user icon

w0lf
Jun 12, 2013, 11:26 AM
That window doesn't scroll for me with mouse; I have to use the scrollbar. Documents etc. all work correctly.

Ha so I'm not the only one! Must be a bug then. Icon view 'arranged by' anything other than none does not take input from my mouse scroll wheel.

Four oF NINE
Jun 12, 2013, 12:37 PM
Running very smooth on my 2012 MBP with SSD

Two issues:

1- iMessages won't accept user password

2- Doesn't work well with Java chat

Other than that, no other problems noted at this time.

njl89
Jun 12, 2013, 02:29 PM
Anyone try Starcraft 2 yet? That's the only thing holding me back right now.

meme1255
Jun 12, 2013, 02:43 PM
If someone could test these apps, I'd be really glad:
0) Jabber in iMessages - works
1) CoolTerm.app
2) Wineskin
3) Warcraft III
4) C&C Tiberium Wars

Thank you

DavidMarks
Jun 12, 2013, 03:04 PM
Just curious. What machine are you using, and was it upgrade or clean install? I'm on a mid-2009 13" MBP, clean install, and I haven't experienced any crashes in the 24 hours I've been using it.

Clean install on a separate partition. Check my signature. 2.13GHz

taldo
Jun 12, 2013, 04:55 PM
Anyone installed the Mavricks beta while using right to left languages like hebrew or arabic??

i have the ios 7 beta and i'm having a few bugs with the language support...
anything like that on the Mavricks beta..?

after seeing the feedback from you guys about the bugs in the beta this is probably the only reason why i still haven't installed it yet...

Thanks,
Tal.

mattroman246
Jun 13, 2013, 01:00 AM
a wee bit choppy for me

MacReloaded
Jun 13, 2013, 01:15 AM
Scrolling is very buggy. Sometimes choppy, sometimes overly sensitive, sometimes not scrolling at all, but most of the time very smooth.

hsotnicam8002
Jun 13, 2013, 07:35 PM
Installed on machine below.

Most dock items have no icon, only name when cursor placed over.
Many icons of apps, files etc are blank with just the name.
Many previous ML dock items were missing though the apps were still in the app folder. Some apps were marked with a red dot (implies not compatible?).

For the above I have used killall Dock and force quit the finder to no avail. Everything was fine after the initial install but after a restart the problems began.

Also had problems with unaccepted passwords in the keychain for iCloud and in Safari.

I recovered ML from TM and in a little while I'm going to try and reinstall Mavericks.

NeshyD
Jun 13, 2013, 07:36 PM
I have it installed on my mid-2010 13" MBP.

The performance is fantastic, reminds me when I had Snow Leopard on this machine. I've been planning to upgrade the RAM from 4GB-8GB.. I can only imagine the performance being even better when I do that :D.

I encountered a bug with iMessages, but I managed to sign in fine after a while. Maps sends directions to my iPhone 5 perfectly.

I had one issue where it would get stuck loading the screensaver. I turned off the screensaver and all is well.

Pretty good experience considering this is DP1.

activate
Jun 13, 2013, 07:47 PM
If you have looked at the incompatible list of apps, then the overall performance is fantastic, far better than 10.8 DP1.

Tubamajuba
Jun 13, 2013, 09:25 PM
I'm on a mid-2012 13" cMBP, and Mavericks is hands down the fastest and smoothest operating system I've ever used. Mountain Lion was great, but scrolling and animations could be pretty choppy from time to time. None of that on Mavericks. It's fantastic.

Krazy Bill
Jun 13, 2013, 09:57 PM
I'm on a mid-2012 13" cMBP, and Mavericks is hands down the fastest and smoothest operating system I've ever used. Mountain Lion was great, but scrolling and animations could be pretty choppy from time to time. None of that on Mavericks. It's fantastic.I don't know... Mission control is sometimes pretty choppy on my Early 2011. (HD3000 graphics). Nothing to cry about though. I think ML started out that way.

And seriously, I don't care how many glowing reviews about Mav DP1 you read here. There is no way I'd use this as my day-to-day OS. We've only had it a couple of days.

activate
Jun 13, 2013, 10:00 PM
I agree. Although it seems very usable, I am only running it because I know there is a backup mac.

Tubamajuba
Jun 13, 2013, 10:43 PM
I don't know... Mission control is sometimes pretty choppy on my Early 2011. (HD3000 graphics). Nothing to cry about though. I think ML started out that way.

And seriously, I don't care how many glowing reviews about Mav DP1 you read here. There is no way I'd use this as my day-to-day OS. We've only had it a couple of days.

I understand what you're saying. I fully assume the risk I'm taking by using it as my "daily driver". If something goes wrong... my fault. But it's working out very well so far. I have backups on various drives of all my important data so if I wake up one morning and my Mavericks install took the first train out of town, I wouldn't be too upset.

Baklava
Jun 14, 2013, 05:56 AM
I'm using Mavericks as my main OS. No big issues so far, but my files are on a seperate Hard Drive. So, as mentioned above by others, backup, backup, backup. :)

Better Touch Tool working without problems for me.

One really important app for me was TotalSpaces but that doesn't work on Mavericks so far. FunctionFlip also doesn't work.

activate
Jun 14, 2013, 06:02 AM

Maestro seems ok, haven't tried BTT, but saw post somewhere that indicated it wasn't working.

Baklava
Jun 14, 2013, 06:10 AM
haven't tried BTT, but saw post somewhere that indicated it wasn't working.
Disagree, works fine for me.

jordanhuxley
Jun 14, 2013, 08:22 AM
From my experience on a 13 inch Macbook Air (2011), I found it quite difficult to use as a primary operating system. I had a number of graphics issues which left me only able to use the OS by booting into safe mode.

kayvong8
Jun 14, 2013, 09:55 AM
hey guys

in language an idiot would understand, how would i revert back to 10.8 after installing 10.9 as my main OS?

sorry to be elementary

meme1255
Jun 14, 2013, 10:56 AM
Restore from Time Machine :)

hoosier205
Jun 14, 2013, 11:01 AM
hey guys

in language an idiot would understand, how would i revert back to 10.8 after installing 10.9 as my main OS?

sorry to be elementary

Why would you install 10.9 beta 1 as your main OS if you were not willing to stick with it through the revisions?

Kariya
Jun 14, 2013, 11:42 AM
Its relatively stable for a beta but you'll notice with time that it is a beta. App nap seems to have an issue with background Youtube playback. and GPU drivers aren't quite up to snuff yet.

Some apps are also glitchy now which is to be expected i suppose.

I've returned to ML for now.

----------

hey guys

sorry to be elementary

If you only have one computer/partition. Create a bootable disk of the Mavericks installer (instructions in this subforum) then boot into the installer (hold down option when starting the computer and pick the installer) wipe the partition you installed mavericks into. Then restart your computer. This time boot into a Mountain Lion installer (you can also create a bootable disk for this…Google it) and install it into the partition you just wiped.

GIZBUG
Jun 14, 2013, 12:30 PM
Only thing that irks me is that the Time Machine menubar icon doesn't spin when backing up :)

Really?? Thats a deal breaker.

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2013, 12:35 PM
I take it once you back up your system, the installer simply allows you to install this directly over Mountain Lion?

In other words, you can launch the installer from within Mountain Lion and it will take over from there?

w0lf
Jun 14, 2013, 12:40 PM
I take it once you back up your system, the installer simply allows you to install this directly over Mountain Lion?

In other words, you can launch the installer from within Mountain Lion and it will take over from there?

Correct.

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2013, 12:41 PM
Thanks, w0lf!

Now to decide whether I should actually do it.

I am hearing too many programs not working under the
new operating system.

cschmelz
Jun 14, 2013, 12:43 PM
I loaded DP1 on my 2010 MacBook Air w 4gb RAM.

Initially I was lke "oh no, what did I do" as the system crawled along, however as we all know the system likes to do a Spotlight reindex after a new install.

That completed and now WOW. Much smoother, faster, better than 10.8

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 2013, 12:44 PM
cschmelz,

You feel comfortable moving forward with this as your main operating system?

w0lf
Jun 14, 2013, 12:46 PM
Thanks, w0lf!

Now to decide whether I should actually do it.

I am hearing too many programs not working under the
new operating system.

In my opinion the OS itself is certainly stable enough to use. I have had nothing crash aside from Finder once when I tried to run XtraFinder.

The decision to use or not use Mavericks right now all lies in the fact of what apps work and don't work. If there is an app that you frequently need to use that does not work in Mavericks I would say it's best to wait or use Mavericks on a secondary/test partition.

Lolito
Jun 14, 2013, 02:25 PM
yes it is pretty stable, but not third party apps though...

jozeppy26
Jun 14, 2013, 02:34 PM
Fullscreen apps have some issues. I can't seem to access the menu bar in fullscreen apps anymore. Also, it's hard to get them out of fullscreen view once they're in fullscreen. Sometimes the fullscreen button shows, sometimes it doesn't. That's the only major bug I've found.

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 14, 2013, 02:41 PM
I am hearing too many programs not working under the new operating system.
This is no new OS, it is a developer preview FOR DEVELOPERS!

----------

You feel comfortable moving forward with this as your main operating system?
Are you a developer? If not, do not use this developer preview!

clunkmess
Jun 14, 2013, 05:46 PM
I've upgraded to Mavericks as my main OS for my 2011 MBA and 2012 iMac without making a time machine backup of Mountain Lion!

The only minor quirk I see is that when I close Messages with CMD + W or the little "x" it loses the little glowing thin rectangle on the bottom, indicating that I've totally quit the program. It is actually running though, even though the little glowing thin line isn't there.

nickbarbs
Jun 14, 2013, 06:19 PM
I've upgraded to Mavericks as my main OS for my 2011 MBA and 2012 iMac without making a time machine backup of Mountain Lion!

The only minor quirk I see is that when I close Messages with CMD + W or the little "x" it loses the little glowing thin rectangle on the bottom, indicating that I've totally quit the program. It is actually running though, even though the little glowing thin line isn't there.

you may regret that, i've reverted because as people say it is a developer preview.

I can't wait for this to be finished, enjoyed playing with it on my retina macbook 15 but i restored my time machine backup of 10.8 for stability / app compatibility for now.

Definitely miss how smooth safari is but the rendering is far more stable in Mountain Lion for now. Can't wait for mavericks to be live.

Lolito
Jun 14, 2013, 07:32 PM
In the past I always jumped straight to beta versions. Not anymore, even final version will have bugs at the beginning and imcompatible apps. I sugges to wait one month after release to migrate, or, test it in a different partition fron beata version, and when all is setup and ready, trnsfer it.

Typswif2fingers
Jun 14, 2013, 08:08 PM
In the past I always jumped straight to beta versions. Not anymore, even final version will have bugs at the beginning and imcompatible apps. I sugges to wait one month after release to migrate, or, test it in a different partition fron beata version, and when all is setup and ready, trnsfer it.

Indeed.

I have always been a "very early" adopter, but over time have grown to be annoyed with little (and big) bugs present.

Tbh. after years of doing certain things, I decided to read (and follow) the release notes... It makes life a little bit easier... At least for me...

(Ah, love the first world problems)

sandy-locke
Jun 14, 2013, 08:09 PM
Finder crashes, gpu drivers still buggy (core animations *very low*), some apps not working, translations in other languages not finished... And other issues mentioned in this thread that I didn't experience...

Everybody wanting to upgrade on a production or daily machine should just restrain.

I've put it on another partition for development purpose, but I would never dare use it for other works (or games) right now.

All in all, the only *real* features I want from Maverick is the true dual screen fullscreen capabilities, and airdrop with iOs 7.

kayvong8
Jun 15, 2013, 12:51 AM
Why would you install 10.9 beta 1 as your main OS if you were not willing to stick with it through the revisions?

I'm not. I want to be prepared. I haven't installed it yet.

kayvong8
Jun 15, 2013, 01:04 AM
----------

If you only have one computer/partition. Create a bootable disk of the Mavericks installer (instructions in this subforum) then boot into the installer (hold down option when starting the computer and pick the installer) wipe the partition you installed mavericks into. Then restart your computer. This time boot into a Mountain Lion installer (you can also create a bootable disk for this…Google it) and install it into the partition you just wiped.

So if I already installed 10.9 and I made a time machine back up of 10.8 I have 2 options?
1- create a ML bootable disk and boot into it and install over 10.9?
2- Just enter time machine and restore from back up?

Or do I need to create the bootable mavericks disk, boot into it, wipe the entire partition using Disk Utility? using the Erase tab? or...?
and then after the partition is wiped (however that's supposed to happen) then I remove that disk and insert the bootable 10.8 disk and boot into it and install that over mavericks? or did I already delete 10.9 when wiping the partition and now I'm just loading new OS?
then I use time machine with migration assistant?

Ugh, I'm an idiot. I am really only needing to be working on ios7, I shouldnt even get involved in this OSX stuff, but I HAD to try the airdrop and airplay to separate monitors. This is my first DP/beta for OSX. I have no experience, at all.:(

Troll away guys. Flame on. I deserve it.

DarkRyoushii
Jun 15, 2013, 04:26 AM
Laptop in my signature. Installed Mavericks DP1 pretty much as soon as I had the chance. The laptop is boot camp enabled with Windows 8 and I installed the DP1 straight over the top of 10.8.4 without any wipe.

I generally don't look back and install any updates I can get on my laptop but I'm probably a unique case. This laptop has literally all important files stored in dropbox and synced to my desktop, and all media stored on my server (which works great with SMB2 mind you!) so I wouldn't have lost anything if I did have to wipe it and start again.

TL;DR It's stable, I took the plunge and went with it, usually don't follow my lead.

votdfak
Jun 15, 2013, 05:09 AM
Skype crashing, Little Snitch not working (maybe they have nightly, didn't check), Flash/Shockwave crashing making browsers unstable. That's about it 4 me...

Kariya
Jun 15, 2013, 05:44 AM
So if I already installed 10.9 and I made a time machine back up of 10.8 I have 2 options?
1- create a ML bootable disk and boot into it and install over 10.9?
2- Just enter time machine and restore from back up?

Or do I need to create the bootable mavericks disk, boot into it, wipe the entire partition using Disk Utility? using the Erase tab? or...?
and then after the partition is wiped (however that's supposed to happen) then I remove that disk and insert the bootable 10.8 disk and boot into it and install that over mavericks? or did I already delete 10.9 when wiping the partition and now I'm just loading new OS?
then I use time machine with migration assistant?

Ugh, I'm an idiot. I am really only needing to be working on ios7, I shouldnt even get involved in this OSX stuff, but I HAD to try the airdrop and airplay to separate monitors. This is my first DP/beta for OSX. I have no experience, at all.:(

Troll away guys. Flame on. I deserve it.

You have to use a Mavericks installer its the only installer that can wipe a Mavericks installation as far as i'm aware. Because ML is an older installer.

However try the Time Machine restore option first. If that doesnt work then do the Mavericks installer option and then just use Time Machine to restore your data after wiping the partition (Disk Utility Erase tab) and loading ML onto it.

or did I already delete 10.9 when wiping the partition and now I'm just loading new OS?

You've already wiped and are just loading ML onto an empty partition.

Baklava
Jun 15, 2013, 07:34 AM
After several days of usage: i had some system crashes here and there, especially when browsing in Safari and using Photoshop. But for a beta, really really stable so far!

AlsoKnownAs
Jun 15, 2013, 09:24 AM
I've been using Mavericks for around 24 hours now on my 13" 2011 MacBook Pro. I mostly don't even notice the upgrade, sure Calendar looks different and I can now have tabs in Finder but apart from that it's like it was before. So yes it's stable but it's also not very exciting.
If you're considering using Mavericks on your primary computer I'd say go ahead as long as you're not professionally dependent on everything functioning perfectly.

Krazy Bill
Jun 15, 2013, 02:25 PM
I've been using Mavericks for around 24 hours now on my 13" 2011 MacBook Pro.... If you're considering using Mavericks on your primary computer I'd say go ahead as long as you're not professionally dependent on everything functioning perfectly.

Wow. A whole 24 hours. :eek: Release the GM already!

Some of you guys continue to crack me up. :D

Lolito
Jun 15, 2013, 08:36 PM
Main problem is not just the os stability, but the third party apps, which are currently developing updates to work perfectly in the new system...

I have it in a partition to have a polished system. When all is perfect, I will transfer this secondary system to the main partition in the ssd... That is the awesome thing with osx and partitions and time machine.

I even leave the current system on the secondary partition for a while.

Chairman Plow
Jun 15, 2013, 08:43 PM
I'll wait this one out or install it on an external drive. The sheer amount of stuff I have to reinstall and configure if I encounter serious bugs makes me shudder. :(

Krissypantz2828
Jun 15, 2013, 10:22 PM
Just installed it. It's fast. Like, really fast and snappy and responsive. There are still a few glitches regarding displaying other languages, but overall it feels very stable. System wide animations are a bliss, Launchpad animations are gorgeous, without those horrific resource hogging linen textures.
Safari feels great, scrolling in Mail is unbelievable as well.

This feels like rock solid OS. The Snow Leopard of its age and I'm running it on a late 2008 uMB.

How do you install? Im currently downloading the file right now..just open it in the app store?

BL4zD
Jun 15, 2013, 10:31 PM
only issue I'm encountering is that I can't sync my google account with OS X if it has a non-google domain. I've noticed that I can't sync with google in Contacts (used to be in On My Mac Local).

jozeppy26
Jun 15, 2013, 11:34 PM
Yeah, some people getting a little over-sensitive about how this Developers Preview is being referred to.

We all know what it is. Sorry we're not calling it exactly what you want us to call to it.

You completely misinterpreted the point of my post. Nice job

e270889o
Jun 16, 2013, 01:52 AM
Installed from ML since day 1 and not even a crash. Disconnect your TimeMachine for precaution but, im using it and its very very stable.

Some 2seconds freezes on safari but it balance with the high speed too.

Student level, just safari, itunes, parallels, spotify, Skype, mail.... etc

Dalton63841
Jun 16, 2013, 01:57 AM
Installed from ML since day 1 and not even a crash. Disconnect your TimeMachine for precaution but, im using it and its very very stable.

Some 2seconds freezes on safari but it balance with the high speed too.

Student level, just safari, itunes, parallels, spotify, Skype, mail.... etc

Same here. Installed day 1 and everything is all hunky dory...

marshy82
Jun 17, 2013, 01:10 PM
Is anyone seeing the dock freeze on shutdown? It half disappears and then freezes until it shuts off completely

GermanyChris
Jun 17, 2013, 02:44 PM
Seems good on a partition my MacBook Pro...

I'm installing on a partition my Mac Pro now..

sev7en
Jun 17, 2013, 02:50 PM
Yes, it is. The only, unstable, application is Safari but I am using Chrome as default browser.

GermanyChris
Jun 17, 2013, 03:12 PM
So I don’t like it as well on the MP as well as the MBP

j-a-x
Jun 23, 2013, 01:12 AM
Mavericks doesn't like Aperture running on an external display (Apple Thunderbolt Display in my case). It crashes when I try to edit photos.

NJRonbo
Jun 23, 2013, 01:45 AM
I mentioned this in another thread...

I found Mavericks to be extremely stable on my 2013 iMac.

I wanted to keep it as the primary operating system, but recently went back to Mountain Lion for two major reasons...

1. EyeTV does not work. This is a major program for me as I like to have a small television window playing on my secondary display while I work. I was really missing this feature. I have emailed the developer but have not heard back.

2. Copy and paste from email was not working well. My business requires a lot of it, and I was having problems making that work.

Otherwise, I found no other problems with Mavericks. Would have preferred to stay with it, and will probably switch back as soon as Elgato has an update to their software available and future DPs are released.

Synaesthesia242
Jun 23, 2013, 08:35 AM
Been enjoying Mavericks as a primary OS. I initially dual-booted but the little enhancements make it hard to go back for me, and it's very stable so now it's the primary OS on my Mac.

Many applications do this in Mountain Lion already. Eg Textedit. Actually they stay resident in your memory and can relaunch very quickly, also you continue to receive messages even when it's closed.

lux9488
Sep 4, 2013, 08:58 AM
Anyone have an update on how stable the latest build (Preview 7) is? Is it okay to use as your daily driver? Any compatibility issues?

myxomatosis
Sep 5, 2013, 12:51 AM
I have been using Mavericks since the first DP. I don't wanna talk for others, but personally I can say I've been using this thing as my primary OS since DP4, and I never came back to ML.

The only thing I miss so far: Perian

Sure I can use VLC or MPlayerX to play multiple video files, but I miss not having access to the "Quicklook" features (no thumbnails in particular).

skasol
Sep 5, 2013, 01:32 AM

Thinking of installing it but was worried about crashing lightroom 5 seems to be fine for you right. Now to find out if VMware fusion 5 works fine with it.

lux9488
Sep 5, 2013, 12:52 PM
I have been using Mavericks since the first DP. I don't wanna talk for others, but personally I can say I've been using this thing as my primary OS since DP4, and I never came back to ML.

The only thing I miss so far: Perian

Sure I can use VLC or MPlayerX to play multiple video files, but I miss not having access to the "Quicklook" features (no thumbnails in particular).

Wait.... Are you saying Quicklook is not in Mavericks? Eg. You can't hit the space key to preview files, videos, images etc?

w0lf
Sep 5, 2013, 01:05 PM
Wait.... Are you saying Quicklook is not in Mavericks? Eg. You can't hit the space key to preview files, videos, images etc?

No he's saying the plugin PERIAN which gives quicktime and by extension QUICKLOOK the ability to play and read metadata from a lot more video extensions (avi, mkv, flv, etc...) is broken and that he misses the features it provided.

myxomatosis
Sep 5, 2013, 03:12 PM

w0lf explained very well what I wanted to say (English is not my primary language, I'm learning) ;)

Perian is a package of multiple codecs that gives Quicktime (and Quicklook) a way to read video files formats that are not natively supported by OS X. For example, video thumbnails in the Finder for DivX/XviD video files. :P You can still read these videos in VLC or MPlayerX, and still use Quicklook with many files, but not with video files Perian supported.

Perian isn't developed anymore and Mavericks broke the last existing version or Perian. And to be honest, OS X doesn't support many video codecs natively.

macpro2000
Sep 5, 2013, 10:10 PM
Agree, they need to bring the spinner back. Nice to know at a glance.

citivolus
Sep 6, 2013, 07:14 AM
For you guys (and gals) running Mavericks on a daily basis, have they implemented basic features like spinning down hard disks when putting the computer to sleep? I would just imagine small features like that would wait until the final release and I wouldn't be able to live with the fan noise when my computer is not in use!

Lolito
Sep 6, 2013, 07:55 AM
dp7 feels pretty solid, I bet it's the GM version. dp6 still sucked with huge bugs...

Krazy Bill
Sep 6, 2013, 09:12 AM
dp7 feels pretty solid, I bet it's the GM version. Uh... no.

ErikGrim
Sep 8, 2013, 10:17 PM
Going to have to say no. Too many issues with games, iTunes, Safari, Aperture, breaking Perian to recommend upgrading right now.

To be quite honest it's not much of a difference in day to day use from even LION to Mavericks. I use Lion at work and Mavericks at home and there's very few things I actually miss at work (iCloud tabs mainly).

ATC
Sep 9, 2013, 11:41 AM
I just reinstalled DP7 last night and migrated everything from my user account in 10.8 via a TM backup and restored all my apps, docs, libraries, settings etc... it took the better part of 4 hours to complete, but that included the DP point updates (between DP4, then 5, 6 and 7) which obviously won't be the case when GM goes live. The migration itself took about 3 hours in my case.

It's been running surprisingly smooth with all my stuff back in. All my apps (except for XBMC) are running fine and all licenses and settings transferred over perfectly.

This was to be my final (big) test evaluating 10.9 and so far it's smooth sailing. I'll have to run this in a production setting for at least a week before deciding on whether to do a day-one install but it looks promising so far.

I suggest to anyone who wants to really test 10.9 to clean install DP4, migrate over all their stuff during the initial setup and then update to DP7. Only then will you know if it's good enough for your use on day one or not.

thefunkymunky
Sep 9, 2013, 03:23 PM
Can someone shed any light on how Safari runs in Mavericks? Does it's process 'Safari Web Content' still consume huge amounts of memory and slow your machine to a crawl? I'm hoping the memory-management in Mavericks has fixed it.

I'm testing Safari beta 6.1 in ML and the same memory issues are still present. :(

Michael Goff
Sep 9, 2013, 03:44 PM
Can someone shed any light on how Safari runs in Mavericks? Does it's process 'Safari Web Content' still consume huge amounts of memory and slow your machine to a crawl? I'm hoping the memory-management in Mavericks has fixed it.

I'm testing Safari beta 6.1 in ML and the same memory issues are still present. :(

Hard to be sure.

Just checked, it's now multiple processes.

petvas
Sep 9, 2013, 03:46 PM
Hard to be sure.

Just checked, it's now multiple processes.

On my system it's one process/Safari Tab and it is about 100MB in size.

Michael Goff
Sep 9, 2013, 03:54 PM
On my system it's one process/Safari Tab and it is about 100MB in size.

Yep, one process per tab. :|

Ergo, multiple processes.

And the memory use varies depending on what the tab is.

Mike MA
Sep 17, 2013, 01:22 PM
dp7 feels pretty solid, I bet it's the GM version. dp6 still sucked with huge bugs...

Don't you think there is a lot more to come? End of October is still a long way to go. I still hope for some UI changes like the iCloud beta page.

pmau
Sep 17, 2013, 01:27 PM
Oh my god. Everything is white and buttons are without borders.
I can't even see where windows overlap. And the animations are sooo slooow.
How can I get the Start Menu back?

toxotis70
Sep 17, 2013, 04:05 PM
i just put mavericks dp8 in my mbp 2011, but i can't find a way to get all my safari bookmarks and notes from cloud ... is it a bug or what ?

thefunkymunky
Sep 17, 2013, 05:19 PM
i just put mavericks dp8 in my mbp 2011, but i can't find a way to get all my safari bookmarks and notes from cloud ... is it a bug or what ?

I take it you have the Safari preference checked in iCloud Prefs within System Prefs?

Krissypantz2828
Sep 17, 2013, 07:47 PM
Oh my god. Everything is white and buttons are without borders.
I can't even see where windows overlap. And the animations are sooo slooow.
How can I get the Start Menu back?

I was thinking of going to mavericks beta, but thanks to your post I think not. lol hope you get it figured out.

plasticphyte
Sep 17, 2013, 10:17 PM
For you guys (and gals) running Mavericks on a daily basis, have they implemented basic features like spinning down hard disks when putting the computer to sleep? I would just imagine small features like that would wait until the final release and I wouldn't be able to live with the fan noise when my computer is not in use!

Those features have never left. They're in System Preferences > Energy Saver.

Spacial
Sep 17, 2013, 10:23 PM
Runs fine on mine

MeUnix
Sep 18, 2013, 02:13 PM
In my opinion, Mavericks has been stable enough to run since the first beta was released. Of course, there have been some bumps in the road, but as of now, DP8 is definitely stable enough to be using. In fact, I have been using versions of Mavericks since July. :)

Mr Rabbit
Sep 18, 2013, 02:27 PM
Been running Mavericks on a 1.7Ghz i5 mid 2012 MBAir for about two months now with very few hiccups. Have yet to find a drastic problem.

Mostly use MS Office, Safari, Citrix Receiver, Apple Remote Desktop (beta build obviously), Messages, Outlook, Shoretel Communicator and some Xcode apps. No games (work Mac), very rarely watch videos outside of Plex web access, no heavy duty photo work, etc.

gowtam04
Dec 28, 2013, 01:38 PM
10.9.1 still hosts problems such as core apps dont open.
any solutions?

old-wiz
Dec 28, 2013, 02:32 PM
no problems with Mavericks here.

priitv8
Dec 28, 2013, 02:50 PM
10.9.1 still hosts problems such as core apps dont open.
any solutions?Check your logs.

faneos
Dec 28, 2013, 02:58 PM
A lot and serious bugs here.

KennyKW
Dec 28, 2013, 09:47 PM
Upgraded from Mountain Lion. It looked good firstly. But later when I tried to make some space for my 2011 Air to have Windows 7 installed, the disk space can never be reclaimed. It always occupies 100GB disk space no matter what has been deleted.

So I deleted all the applications and documents and whatever files I can, it still firmly holds the 100GB disk space and only allows a 20GB partition for Windows 7, which is far from enough as Windows 7 itself after updates will occupy up to 17GB. I have to do a scratch re-installation to get it back to Mountain Lion.

twintin
Dec 29, 2013, 07:20 AM
No issues here either running Mavericks on an MBA 2012.

onemustfall
Dec 29, 2013, 06:49 PM
Seems good to me!

MacMan988
Dec 30, 2013, 02:02 AM
I believe it is. And it has to be! Although we didn't pay for the OS, we paid (some says a lot) for the computer. I believe Apple should be making enough revenue to hire a QA team!

petvas
Dec 31, 2013, 01:32 AM
I have been using Mavericks since the first beta, and it is running pretty stable. I have no issues with it at all. Overall I am happy with the new OS, but the difference to Mountain Lion isn't that big, unless you have a Retina Mac.
Safari 7 is the biggest, greatest feature of Mavericks. It runs amazing well and it has made me forget about Chrome. iCloud Keychain is also great and I love it, even if it didn't replace 1Password for storing my credit card and other information. (it did replace it for web logins though).

Gochugogi
Dec 31, 2013, 02:37 AM
10.9 has been rock solid for me on both my 2009 Mac Pro and 2013 Mini 2.6GHz i7. Not a single app has been unstable, even older apps like Quicken 2007, Office 2008, Bias Peak Pro and Premiere Elements 11 and Creative Suite 5.5 run like clockwork. The only gotcha has been my external Firewire drives: no sleep via Energy Saver or manually. My old MOTU Ultralite audio interface works fine via FW. Only FW drives are sleepless but otherwise work fine. I eventually switched them to USB and they sleep fine but are much slower to access.

I updated to 10.91 and what a friggen mess: startup slowed to a crawl and the finder was all but useless: click on a menu and it opens several seconds later. Restored back to 10.9 via Time Machine and all was well.

faneos
Dec 31, 2013, 10:30 AM
No stay away