PDA

View Full Version : Another WWDC, Another year without ATV apps...

bboyredcel
Jun 11, 2013, 09:27 AM
So it looks like the Apple TV was glossed over again for iOS7. No apps. They also didnt talk about how iOS7 looks or works on ATV. Considering that the few shots we got of ATV in the keynote had the same UI as it does today im assuming that it will go unchanged. Thoughts?

bliggs
Jun 11, 2013, 10:52 AM
Like you, I was very disappointed with another WWDC without anything exciting happening with the ATV. I guess it is still just a hobby to them. I thought it was pretty cool that they streamed the entire WWDC event live to the ATV though. I watched the whole thing, hoping and waiting for something big to happen with ATV and got crushed! LOL

WilliamLondon
Jun 11, 2013, 11:09 AM
I'm with you, sad to see no SDK and App Store on the ATV, I think they're really missing a great opportunity to make that little box something quite powerful, but they must have their reasons.

I do expect at some point to see an ATV app store, but when? Just because no app store or SDK this WWDC doesn't necessarily mean it won't happen before the next WWDC (he said wishfully, and definitely naively), right?

A reason to be optimistic - they announced with iOS 7 support for 3rd party game controllers. This is a first step toward gaming on the ATV...

AppleMark
Jun 11, 2013, 11:57 AM
They will not do anything with ATV [App wise] until they release the AppleiTV IMO. App's will add a much needed lift to the AiTV & ATV experience whose thunder they would not want the ATV to steal on it's own.

AppleMark
Jun 11, 2013, 12:14 PM
I'm with you, sad to see no SDK and App Store on the ATV, I think they're really missing a great opportunity to make that little box something quite powerful, but they must have their reasons.

I do expect at some point to see an ATV app store, but when? Just because no app store or SDK this WWDC doesn't necessarily mean it won't happen before the next WWDC (he said wishfully, and definitely naively), right?

A reason to be optimistic - they announced with iOS 7 support for 3rd party game controllers. This is a first step toward gaming on the ATV...

For mobile and convenience gaming, I use my iPhone and iPad.

If I want to do any gaming on a large TV, then I will fire-up the PS3 [and PS4 come christmas]. ATV in it's current guise cannot even dream of competing as a serious gaming option.

They cannot even get gaming right on the Mac, so I will not be holding my breath..

WilliamLondon
Jun 11, 2013, 12:39 PM
For mobile and convenience gaming, I use my iPhone and iPad.

If I want to do any gaming on a large TV, then I will fire-up the PS3 [and PS4 come christmas]. ATV in it's current guise cannot even dream of competing as a serious gaming option.

They cannot even get gaming right on the Mac, so I will not be holding my breath..

I don't want to get into a discussion about casual vs. serious gaming or Mac gaming in general, that wasn't my intent, but what is very interesting about support for 3rd party gaming controllers (I think) is that it might represent an opportunity for gaming on the ATV, which represents a need for apps on the ATV, which might be one more reason or justification for Apple *finally* to open the thing up and give it an SDK and an App Store. Once we've got an SDK and apps and app store, we can discuss (at length I'm sure<smile>) its gaming capabilities and how to improve them.

bboyredcel
Jun 11, 2013, 01:03 PM
I'm not really interested in the potential for my ATV to become some gaming machine. My daughter, possibly, but not me. I'd much rather fill my ATV with multimedia apps like Amazon Prime, Plex, VLC, or the various cable network apps that have been coming to Xbox Live. I dont need my Apple TV to be a game console, I'd rather it replaced my hideous cable box (at least initially).

gottafly
Jun 13, 2013, 10:40 PM
can't you stream the tv apps (ABC, NBC, etc) from an iphone or ipad to the ATV now??

charlien
Jun 17, 2013, 09:46 PM
I gave up waiting. I picked up a roku 2. It won't replace my ATV but will sit next to it.

rgarjr
Jun 17, 2013, 09:55 PM
yep, does suck.

AppleCruncher
Jun 18, 2013, 12:16 AM
I would be happy if they just let us add more content apps, not so much games. Like the history channel and all the other apps like that that you can get on the iPad and iPhone.

spacepower7
Jun 18, 2013, 01:38 AM
I'm not really interested in the potential for my ATV to become some gaming machine. My daughter, possibly, but not me. I'd much rather fill my ATV with multimedia apps like Amazon Prime, Plex, VLC, or the various cable network apps that have been coming to Xbox Live. I dont need my Apple TV to be a game console, I'd rather it replaced my hideous cable box (at least initially).

I wouldn't mind Amazon Prime or Plex either on the AppleTV. I have a Roku and AppleTV.

Do you have an XBox? Is it true that you have to pay MS $8-10 a month just to enable Netflix on the Xbox?

emptysoul
Jun 22, 2013, 02:12 AM
Do you have an XBox? Is it true that you have to pay MS $8-10 a month just to enable Netflix on the Xbox?

It's true. Complete rip-off.