PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV with HDMI Switch

thejgroves
Jun 11, 2013, 11:03 AM
I work at a university that is implementing a lot of Apple TVs into classrooms for the use of AirPlay mirroring with iPads and iPhones. The projectors we use typically only have a single HDMI port. The easiest solution would be to get an HDMI switch and switch between the PC and the Apple TV at the podium. We have tried a Kinivo HDMI Switch (http://www.kinivo.com/Kinivo-301BN-Premium-wireless-adapter/dp/B0049S6ZUS?class=quickView&field_availability=-1&field_browse=2866008011&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&id=Kinivo+301BN+Premium+wireless+adapter&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchNodeID=2866008011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12) but it wouldn't work with the Apple TV. It would work with everything but the Apple TV for a matter of fact.

Before we go off and spend more money trying to find a switch that works, I thought I'd ask here to see if there is something special I need to look for or if someone has a recommended switch that is known to work. We're looking for something preferably inexpensive that is a 2x1 switch at minimum.

Thanks in advance.

jdblas69
Jun 11, 2013, 11:56 AM
I use my ATV 3 with a switch with no problems. I can't recall what kind it is but it was a cheapy switch ordered from amazon. Might be stating the obvious but did you ensure you don't have a bad HDMI cable??

thejgroves
Jun 11, 2013, 01:37 PM
After talking with one of our installers. The issue apparently is sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't. This is consistent across multiple rooms in different setups. It could just be a crap switch. We may give a different brand a go. I was just trying to make sure I wasn't overlooking some sort of requirement.

TyWahn
Jun 11, 2013, 04:54 PM
After talking with one of our installers. The issue apparently is sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't. This is consistent across multiple rooms in different setups. It could just be a crap switch. We may give a different brand a go. I was just trying to make sure I wasn't overlooking some sort of requirement.

I've used a MonoPrice 4x1 HDMI switch with my ATV1 and ATV2 for years with zero issues.

thejgroves
Jun 12, 2013, 08:47 AM
I think we've narrowed it down to the projectors we are using. It seems they freak out when switching. We tried our switcher on a TV/Monitor and it works flawlessly. Not sure why, but the projectors have a hard time "reconnecting" to a signal after it is switched. There's usually a 10-15 second "no signal" time before it actually shows the switched source and sometimes it doesn't. So I guess I was wrong to assume it was the switch.

MysticCow
Jun 12, 2013, 10:25 AM
This is the one I use on my 1st gen one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080KN18K/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works wonderfully.