Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

berniemakaveli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
jU21ObX.jpg

Who's face doesn't involuntarily cringe when comparing iOS6 with iOS7?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
ioS 7 looks fine with some more work needed on the icons. I think the color scheme they are trying to use are a bit too girly and feminine for my tastes. The icons themselves have no consistency. Why are some of the icons encircled and others not? Why are some solid black while the others are neon-feminine? Why do some graphics of the icons appear larger than the others.

I look at the Google icons for their apps and see tremendous consistency, which Apple lacks.

I do like the Calender and Photos icons. Don't understand why the Music icon is pink. Safari icon looks like it doesn't belong or they got the colors backward. Some icons are still "skeu'd" (Videos, Compass, Clock) and just look plain and bare (Notes, Reminders). Consistency is key.

R4z3r

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
NJ
Mine cringes but I think each have some positives and some negatives. I felt that iOS 6 had gotten a bit "stale" but I don't believe this move was necessarily the correct fix for that.

MLG

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
There's really no comparison, IMO. IOS6 has a vastly more polished and premium look to it. IOS7 looks like pong in contrast. I keep thinking this is a bad dream that I will wake up from...but no, they are apparently serious.

berniemakaveli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Mine cringes but I think each have some positives and some negatives. I felt that iOS 6 had gotten a bit "stale" but I don't believe this move was necessarily the correct fix for that.

Thats how I feel.

iOS7 looks like a funfetti explosion I'll never be able to clean up.

msz7

macrumors member
May 27, 2013

Pros and Cons to both, obviously. And I was skeptical at first, but you have an unfair comparison going on. Your iOS 6 screenshot has non default applications there in folders, etc. The iOS 7 screenshot you used is default, with no changes. I think once you get your hands on iOS 7 and can play around with it you'll change your opinion. That happened to me.

That said I still think the preferences and Safari icons are ugly, but hopefully they'll change at least a little bit.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK

I actually like the new design, but I understand that it is polarizing.

iOS6 feels bloated and heavy compared to the new look in my opinion. I do find it weird that most new icons are flat, yet Game Center has these 3D blobs.

berniemakaveli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Pros and Cons to both, obviously. And I was skeptical at first, but you have an unfair comparison going on. Your iOS 6 screenshot has non default applications there in folders, etc. The iOS 7 screenshot you used is default, with no changes. I think once you get your hands on iOS 7 and can play around with it you'll change your opinion. That happened to me.

That said I still think the preferences and Safari icons are ugly, but hopefully they'll change at least a little bit.

The only thing that will make me happy with iOS7 is the jailbreak. Themes FTW!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Many people including me like the new icons. I think they're an improvement from the dated UI/icons of iOS6

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
The more I look at iOS 7 the more I like it. The colors are a bit bright, and the icons need a little work, but overall the features added with iOS 7, along with some of the cool zoom animations, along with how things shift depending on how you hold the phone, give it a fresh feel to me. I'm sure by the time we have Beta 18 or whatever they go up too, they'll iron out some details, AND I'll be more used to the look.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I get what you're saying. That said, I was so exceedingly bored with the old style that I really don't care that the new interface is straight out of the Fisher Price labs... for now.

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
Its so loud, especially with that wallpaper you have on - my eyes are bleeding! Please fix it IVE!

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Admittedly, I am more of a fan of the Calendar, Clock, Camera, Videos, and Settings icons on iOS 6. The rest is a welcomed polish/upgrade. :)

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
The static images in iOS 7 do not seem to pop-out as much on the background (which is something designers should aim for because it allows rapid selection). However, from the WWDC intro yesterday they mentioned something about the icons moving slightly as the phone is tilted. If Apple has done this right, then they will create the illusion of motion parallax, and the icons will appear to float above the background. Thus, we cannot judge the GUI from static pictures. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

berniemakaveli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I get what you're saying. That said, I was so exceedingly bored with the old style that I really don't care that the new interface is straight out of the Fisher Price labs... for now.

See I was getting a little bored too, but change for the sake of change (and especially change towards a bubblegum funfetti explosion) isn't what one should do, nor is it what Apple presents themselves to be. Jobs' absence is definitely being felt.

cyda

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
just change the background to a lest bright and colorful one. its much better than

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.