PDA

View Full Version : I Want A Serious Response (old vs new icons)

berniemakaveli
Jun 11, 2013, 11:58 AM
http://i.imgur.com/jU21ObX.jpg

Who's face doesn't involuntarily cringe when comparing iOS6 with iOS7?

Razeus
Jun 11, 2013, 12:00 PM
ioS 7 looks fine with some more work needed on the icons. I think the color scheme they are trying to use are a bit too girly and feminine for my tastes. The icons themselves have no consistency. Why are some of the icons encircled and others not? Why are some solid black while the others are neon-feminine? Why do some graphics of the icons appear larger than the others.

I look at the Google icons for their apps and see tremendous consistency, which Apple lacks.

I do like the Calender and Photos icons. Don't understand why the Music icon is pink. Safari icon looks like it doesn't belong or they got the colors backward. Some icons are still "skeu'd" (Videos, Compass, Clock) and just look plain and bare (Notes, Reminders). Consistency is key.

R4z3r
Jun 11, 2013, 12:01 PM
Mine cringes but I think each have some positives and some negatives. I felt that iOS 6 had gotten a bit "stale" but I don't believe this move was necessarily the correct fix for that.

MLG
Jun 11, 2013, 12:02 PM
There's really no comparison, IMO. IOS6 has a vastly more polished and premium look to it. IOS7 looks like pong in contrast. I keep thinking this is a bad dream that I will wake up from...but no, they are apparently serious.

chrf097
Jun 11, 2013, 12:02 PM
Image (http://i.imgur.com/jU21ObX.jpg)

I cringe, because iOS 6 looks so bad next to iOS 7

berniemakaveli
Jun 11, 2013, 12:03 PM
Mine cringes but I think each have some positives and some negatives. I felt that iOS 6 had gotten a bit "stale" but I don't believe this move was necessarily the correct fix for that.

Thats how I feel.

iOS7 looks like a funfetti explosion I'll never be able to clean up.

saving107
Jun 11, 2013, 12:03 PM
I don't want to go back to iOS 6, I am happy with iOS 7 and what they have done across the entire OS.

msz7
Jun 11, 2013, 12:04 PM

Pros and Cons to both, obviously. And I was skeptical at first, but you have an unfair comparison going on. Your iOS 6 screenshot has non default applications there in folders, etc. The iOS 7 screenshot you used is default, with no changes. I think once you get your hands on iOS 7 and can play around with it you'll change your opinion. That happened to me.

That said I still think the preferences and Safari icons are ugly, but hopefully they'll change at least a little bit.

gibbz

I actually like the new design, but I understand that it is polarizing.

iOS6 feels bloated and heavy compared to the new look in my opinion. I do find it weird that most new icons are flat, yet Game Center has these 3D blobs.

falconeight
The old OS is so boring and needed to be axed.

berniemakaveli
Jun 11, 2013, 12:05 PM
Pros and Cons to both, obviously. And I was skeptical at first, but you have an unfair comparison going on. Your iOS 6 screenshot has non default applications there in folders, etc. The iOS 7 screenshot you used is default, with no changes. I think once you get your hands on iOS 7 and can play around with it you'll change your opinion. That happened to me.

That said I still think the preferences and Safari icons are ugly, but hopefully they'll change at least a little bit.

The only thing that will make me happy with iOS7 is the jailbreak. Themes FTW!

Simplicated
Jun 11, 2013, 12:06 PM

I don't want to go back to iOS 6, I am happy with iOS 7 and what they have done across the entire OS.

These. The new color scheme takes a little bit of getting used to, but once you grow acquainted with it, you'll love it.

berniemakaveli
Jun 11, 2013, 12:06 PM
The old OS is so boring and needed to be axed.

It was getting stale, but handing a kindergardener some crayons and telling him to design some icons is any better?

maflynn
Jun 11, 2013, 12:07 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Many people including me like the new icons. I think they're an improvement from the dated UI/icons of iOS6

ra4oasis
Jun 11, 2013, 12:08 PM
The more I look at iOS 7 the more I like it. The colors are a bit bright, and the icons need a little work, but overall the features added with iOS 7, along with some of the cool zoom animations, along with how things shift depending on how you hold the phone, give it a fresh feel to me. I'm sure by the time we have Beta 18 or whatever they go up too, they'll iron out some details, AND I'll be more used to the look.

iBreatheApple
Jun 11, 2013, 12:09 PM
I get what you're saying. That said, I was so exceedingly bored with the old style that I really don't care that the new interface is straight out of the Fisher Price labs... for now.

munakib
Jun 11, 2013, 12:11 PM
Its so loud, especially with that wallpaper you have on - my eyes are bleeding! Please fix it IVE!

sdilley14
Jun 11, 2013, 12:12 PM
Admittedly, I am more of a fan of the Calendar, Clock, Camera, Videos, and Settings icons on iOS 6. The rest is a welcomed polish/upgrade. :)

berniemakaveli
Jun 11, 2013, 12:13 PM
Its so loud, especially with that wallpaper you have on - my eyes are bleeding! Please fix it IVE!

Wallpaper I have on? Thats the stock wallpaper lol *cough cough* Android *cough*

matttye
Love what I've seen so far!

Korican100

really? u really think ios6 looks better than 7? ...wow...

whatever i give up.

VulchR
The static images in iOS 7 do not seem to pop-out as much on the background (which is something designers should aim for because it allows rapid selection). However, from the WWDC intro yesterday they mentioned something about the icons moving slightly as the phone is tilted. If Apple has done this right, then they will create the illusion of motion parallax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax), and the icons will appear to float above the background. Thus, we cannot judge the GUI from static pictures. Just sayin'.

berniemakaveli
Jun 11, 2013, 12:14 PM
I get what you're saying. That said, I was so exceedingly bored with the old style that I really don't care that the new interface is straight out of the Fisher Price labs... for now.

See I was getting a little bored too, but change for the sake of change (and especially change towards a bubblegum funfetti explosion) isn't what one should do, nor is it what Apple presents themselves to be. Jobs' absence is definitely being felt.

cyda
Jun 11, 2013, 12:15 PM
just change the background to a lest bright and colorful one. its much better than

berniemakaveli
Jun 11, 2013, 12:15 PM
whatever i give up.

Cool, didnt care you tried in the first place.

ndpitch
Jun 11, 2013, 12:16 PM
For me, iOS 7 looks a little too much like Easter decorations, if that makes any sense to anyone. I think they used pastel colors a little too heavily. I tend to like deeper, more rich colors, not light, "chalky" pastel colors. The functionality looks to be vastly improved though. Perhaps the color scheme will grow on me. Also, as some others have suggested, it seems that your wallpaper can have a big effect on the look and feel of the OS, so maybe that can help too.

Jimrod
Jun 11, 2013, 12:18 PM
iOS 7 is just TOO bright though, with no shadow or strong contrast the icons get lost on some coloured backgrounds. Also the inconsistency is a little low rent and "un-Apple". Why when getting rid of skeuomorphism did they leave a paper-like background in Notes for example? Why the differing icon styles? We can say it's a Beta all we like but when was the last time Apple changed things from Beta design? (serious question, I don't actually know the answer)

OneMike
Jun 11, 2013, 12:18 PM
I can't answer this question without having used iOS for the past almost 6 years. If I were looking at both for the first time, maybe I'd feel different. I like iOS 7 though.

berniemakaveli
Jun 11, 2013, 12:20 PM
I can't answer this question without having used iOS for the past almost 6 years. If I were looking at both for the first time, maybe I'd feel different. I like iOS 7 though.

Maybe we can compare initial reactions.

My initial reaction to iOS 1 was "whoa, thats pretty cool."

My initial reaction to iOS 7 was "pastel color vomit."

Jordan921
Jun 11, 2013, 12:22 PM

Mine doesn't. I'm totally happy with iOS 7.

Jimrod
Jun 11, 2013, 12:23 PM
The static images in iOS 7 do not seem to pop-out as much on the background (which is something designers should aim for because it allows rapid selection). However, from the WWDC intro yesterday they mentioned something about the icons moving slightly as the phone is tilted. If Apple has done this right, then they will create the illusion of motion parallax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax), and the icons will appear to float above the background. Thus, we cannot judge the GUI from static pictures. Just sayin'.

It's a VERY subtle effect and it jerks into place from time to time so I've just turned it off as it'll probably save me some battery...

DaveOP
Jun 11, 2013, 12:24 PM

Wait until you use it. The colors do not stand out negatively in use, and its beautiful on an iPhone 5. Once you use the new Safari and other native apps, you'll laugh at the idea of not using iOS 7.

JarredWagner
Jun 11, 2013, 12:25 PM
I am not surprised that most people lack the basic aesthetic sense to recognize that the new design is objectively bad. But it is. Bad. There is a reason all of the artists and designers hate it. Not because it's different, not because they're stuck in the past, not because they prefer skeuomorphism. It's because it is objectively wrong in almost every way. The icon designs are poor and the color palette is literally painful.

The Apple design aesthetic has always been one of refined class, of truly premium products that embrace and strive for beauty. They've effectively thrown away that aspect of their brand in favor of a neon Brony disaster. It's an embarrassment, and could, over time, prove to be a huge mistake.

madmaxmedia
Jun 11, 2013, 12:28 PM
The text labels for apps and folders need to be embossed/outlined or whatever, to set it apart better against the background.

fmalloy
Jun 11, 2013, 12:28 PM

Completely agree. It looks like iOS7 was the 1.0 release, and they refined it in iOS6.

Too pastel, too flat, too simplistic, too - FisherPrice. Absolutely hate that stick-thin font that is impossible to read. It looks like all the characters were drawn using a pencil tool in a Paint program. The Calendar icon looks like it was designed by a toddler. Honestly, the whole home screen looks like a bad Winterboard theme for tweens.

Just looks unfinished and unpolished. A step backwards in the look and feel.

The signal bars turning into bullets - clearly done just to be different and "hip". I thought Ive went on and on about "everything is done for a reason". What's the point of changing a signal bar graphic that everyone is used to?

Getting rid of buttons - these were targets that non-techie people knew and were used to. You knew the button shapes had a function. Now, you tap on text. Not easy to know what text is tappable and what is not. Oh, it's in a different color...

Do like the new functionality. Just wish I could have it with the old look and feel.

berniemakaveli
Jun 11, 2013, 12:29 PM
The Apple design aesthetic has always been one of refined class, of truly premium products that embrace and strive for beauty. They've effectively thrown away that aspect of their brand in favor of a neon Brony disaster. It's an embarrassment, and could, over time, prove to be a huge mistake.

This x1000. If this is Apple 3.0 without Jobs, I think I may look for mobile phones elsewhere, or pray for a jailbreak..

joenj07087
Jun 11, 2013, 12:29 PM
I absolutely LOVE the new icons and Design..! can't wait to get theiPhone5 in White and load IOS 7.....love it....

KBS756
Jun 11, 2013, 12:30 PM

The Safari Icon is the only one that makes me cringe, personally once the backgrounds changed I think it looks far better

http://i43.tinypic.com/hth8i8.png
http://i40.tinypic.com/m76mut.png

Fix the goddamn Safari Icon and maybe tweak a few others and its great, Safari being the largest problem... Think Camera should remain a lens and Photos doesn't make sense other than that great

Maybe include a drop shadow or 1 pixel outline on white text to make it handle different backgrounds better? But for a beta 1 that prob will be tweaked its good, and deff an improvement from iOS 6

robjulo
Jun 11, 2013, 12:32 PM
IMO, the "staleness" did not come from not having pretty colors, it came from a lack of features (ie widgets) and the boring grid system.

Neither of those were fixed.

diogolg
Jun 11, 2013, 12:34 PM
Some icons really need some work done… but overall iOS7 is a much better OS than iOS6

ctdonath
Jun 11, 2013, 12:35 PM

Indeed.

iOS 6 looks so heavy, burdened with all kinds of useless accoutrements. Nice to get that behind us.

Simplicated
Jun 11, 2013, 12:35 PM
IMO, the "staleness" did not come from not having pretty colors, it came from a lack of features (ie widgets) and the boring grid system.

Neither of those were fixed.

So what do you want? A system that has icons of random sizes? Even Android uses grid for its homescreen.

johndallas999
Jun 11, 2013, 12:40 PM

Actually when you put them side by side you're right. IOS7 does look cheap and washed out. I'd agree it's a step backwards in design sadly

Escher2112
Jun 11, 2013, 12:41 PM
I actually like the change, and I was all about the Skeumorphism (sp?) back in the day... its refreshing.

I like the lighter backgrounds as well - its seems to pop and its very crisp. Just sent my first text a minute ago and I like the new interface there as well.

The more I use it the more I like it...

Geckotek
Jun 11, 2013, 12:41 PM
I don't cringe at all. Looking at them side by side the only criticism I have of iOS 7 is that the icons don't clearly stand out from the wallpaper. In iOS 6 the definition of the apps vs the wallpaper is clear and seems more intuitive to me. Not so much in iOS 7.

I can see how a couple of the icons, Safari for example, don't flow with the rest of the theme, but I honestly think people pissing and moaning about such things have way too much time on their hands.

I do also wish they had tried to move away from such a restrictive grid system (make it something that can be enabled/disabled) and I feel a gadget/live tile solution should be implemented. I find those missing aspects disappointing, but not deal-breakers.

pettifogger06
Jun 11, 2013, 12:42 PM
Hated it yesterday, but once you see it and put it on your background and throw the more terrible rainbow icons into folders, it looks pretty nice.

I like the OS overall, I just wish they'd release a "professional" icon set and let this be the "fun/kid/girl" icon set. I know that won't happen until the JB, but I'll likely manage.

thekev
Jun 11, 2013, 12:42 PM

I'm not big on some of the color choices. I like that they removed the glossy effect. I would have preferred it without some of the weird gradients. That is just me.

Simplicated
Jun 11, 2013, 12:46 PM
I don't cringe at all. Looking at them side by side the only criticism I have of iOS 7 is that the icons don't clearly stand out from the wallpaper. In iOS 6 the definition of the apps vs the wallpaper is clear and seems more intuitive to me. Not so much in iOS 7.

I can see how a couple of the icons, Safari for example, don't flow with the rest of the theme, but I honestly think people pissing and moaning about such things have way too much time on their hands.

I do also wish they had tried to move away from such a restrictive grid system (make it something that can be enabled/disabled) and I feel a gadget/live tile solution should be implemented. I find those missing aspects disappointing, but not deal-breakers.

Before iOS 7 unveiling: iOS is stale! It needs a makeover!

After iOS 7 unveiling: I wish they had kept some of the elements of iOS 6!

People just can't attempt to appreciate new ideas before judging them. :rolleyes:

Reach9
Jun 11, 2013, 12:50 PM

iCringe.

I don't know what Apple was thinking.

berniemakaveli
Jun 11, 2013, 12:51 PM
iCringe.

I don't know what Apple was thinking.

Haha. +1 good sir.

johndallas999
Jun 11, 2013, 12:52 PM
really? u really think ios6 looks better than 7? ...wow...

whatever i give up.

Funny, this is probably one of the apple fans that kept saying that IOS didn't need to be redone when IOS6 came out and people complained of it looking the same. I'm glad they are open to modifying the look but this isn't it. It's too baby-ish and femine for me. YUCK!

charlituna
Jun 11, 2013, 01:00 PM

I feel the opposite, up against 7, 6 is amazing design.

----------

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Many people including me like the new icons. I think they're an improvement from the dated UI/icons of iOS6

While this is true, from the viewpoint of the common user many of the icons have zero reflection of their purpose which reduces intuitive understanding. And that can discourage upgrading and lose of stability improvements, eventual inability to upgrade apps and losing out on new features like the new security mode

----------

owever, from the WWDC intro yesterday they mentioned something about the icons moving slightly as the phone is tilted. If Apple has done this right, then they will create the illusion of motion parallax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax), and the icons will appear to float above the background.

And what is the practical need for this. None that I can find. Seems more like a Forstall shifting knobs move to me.

----------

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=312&d=1358725396

bigchrisfgb
Jun 11, 2013, 01:00 PM
I prefer the dock on iOS6, and some of the apps on iOS7 could have done with deeper/richer colours. In saying that from what I have seen of areas away from the home screen iOS7 looks superior to iOS6.

I've yet to see how iBooks (the pages bit) and notes looks but I do think those are two apps where they should keep the psychical feel going.

Peter K.
Jun 11, 2013, 01:02 PM
I feel the opposite, up against 7, 6 is amazing design.

+1

I like skeuomorphism (I didn't realize how much until now.) and I don't really like "flat"-ness (whatever that means).

P.S. - I will still upgrade, likely ASAP (non-Beta), as there is too much new functionality to skip.

Musickid203
Jun 11, 2013, 01:04 PM
I cringe also. Although the UI for ios 6 got boring after a while ios 7 is a bit too bright and they colors feel shoved down our throats. From a guys perspective it looks quite feminine. I do like the features that come with ios 7 though.

And what happened with Game Center? They could've at least tried to design it rather than put bubbles. I will have to think this through before updating.

Jimrod

People just can't attempt to appreciate new ideas before judging them. :rolleyes:

I've seen a lot of comments like this, seem to be mainly from fanboy types - are people allowed to expect new things AND expect them to be better? Yes there is a lot of good in iOS 7 but no-one asked for crappy childlike icons and fluorescent colours everywhere. There is no consistency to the design of the logos and without the ability to customize the pallet the brash colour choice seems odd.

I think the general consensus from sensible people is that yes, iOS 7 is a step forward and offers a nice upgrade from iOS 6 in many areas but some aspects of the design leave a lot to be desired and SHOULD have been better. Nothing wrong with having your cake and eating it.

charlituna
+1

I like skeuomorphism (I didn't realize how much until now.) and I don't really like "flat"-ness (whatever that truly means).

A medium would have better in my book. This is too anti skeuo to attract common users and that is 95% OS the audience

zerostar
It's a VERY subtle effect and it jerks into place from time to time so I've just turned it off as it'll probably save me some battery...

How did you turn this off?

Rogifan
Why are people so obsessed about app icons? How much time during the day do you spend looking at them? :confused:

ECUPeeDee14
Jun 11, 2013, 01:07 PM
I really don't even mind the pastel colors and boring icons. What I hate is the 1.0 style dock.

----------

Why are people so obsessed about app icons? How much time during the day do you spend looking at them? :confused:

Yep, most of the useless ones go in a folder.

C64
Jun 11, 2013, 01:07 PM
Just a few hundred times, you know.. after unlocking your phone?

Cgdoc519
Jun 11, 2013, 01:11 PM

I really like the new look and feel. It took me a bit to get used too because it is such a big change. It just feels more natural and seamless to me personally.

Jimrod
Jun 11, 2013, 01:11 PM
How did you turn this off?

Accessibility settings (in General) and reduce motion.

cualexander
Jun 11, 2013, 01:16 PM
Smartphones have gotten to be a sensitive subject like politics and religion. You can say "I think <insert smartphone, politician, or deity> is the best" and people will either usually totally agree or try to convince you that you are not just wrong, but misguided, stupid, and possibly insane.

Oppressed
Jun 11, 2013, 01:19 PM
I cringe because people have a hard time dealing with change.

Jimrod
Jun 11, 2013, 01:19 PM

When using my phone about the same amount of time I'd spend looking at my dashboard when driving - I wouldn't be overly happy with that being in luminous colours either... People aren't bashing iOS 7 for the sake of it, we all like many elements, pretty much just the bad visuals are causing all the negativity.

robjulo
Jun 11, 2013, 01:21 PM
So what do you want? A system that has icons of random sizes? Even Android uses grid for its homescreen.

Android uses a grid for Apps but not for the homescreen. That is very customizable.

Jimrod
Jun 11, 2013, 01:22 PM

So if you came home and your walls had been painted bright pink you'd be all "oh cool!" About it? People don't have to praise everything because its Apple, most of us want progression, there is much of that in iOS 7 but the icons are pretty poor in my opinion (which is as valid as yours).

berniemakaveli
Jun 11, 2013, 01:23 PM

And an especially hard time dealing with change for the worse.

STiNG Operation
Jun 11, 2013, 01:25 PM
I think comparing the iOS versions with pictures isn't helpful. I thought I didn't like it at first because all I saw was the pics up on MR. Then I watched the iOS7 presentation and thought it was amazing.

Korican100
Jun 11, 2013, 01:27 PM
ill weigh in an actual opinion.

yes i def think ios7 is better. Why? Drop shadows, clock bar, dock reflection, and glossy icons. They're done. yuck, old, and compared to ios7 they look so bleh.

the wallpaper of ios7 in the picture OP posted exacerbates the brightness all you guys are complaining about first of all.

i dont understand why people like old. thats my opinion of course. but sometimes i think those who like old looking things like that, have no creativity. thats just my opinion. sorry if u feel offended.

Simplicated
Jun 11, 2013, 01:31 PM
Android uses a grid for Apps but not for the homescreen. That is very customizable.

If the homescreen doesn't use a grid, it probably has widgets overlapping each other and appearing unaligned.

V900
Jun 11, 2013, 01:38 PM
It's really striking seeing them next to each other like that.

iOS6 has class. It's unique, elegant, and yes, it might look familiar, something some people misinterpret as boring, but its a confident and classy look. It's timeless.

iOS7 on the other hand is loud, jarring and vulgar. It tries to go in all directions at the same time, using a gradient one way here, and differently there. But worst of all, it's bland. It looks like the result of trying too hard to hit all the checkmarks. It doesn't lead, it follows.

iOS6 has that timeless quality, that makes it look strikingly good the first time you see it, no matter what decade you're in.

iOS7 on the other hand, will look ridiculous and dated when the current trend of "flat UIs" has passed, in a few years.

Like the horrible unevenly aligned letters craze of the 90ies that claimed yahoo and eBays logos as victims.

C64
Jun 11, 2013, 01:43 PM
Here's a good look at how "unified" the icons are:

http://i.imgur.com/zdMBUGT.png

via: http://www.reddit.com/r/Design/comments/1g3be2/my_thoughts_on_the_ios_7_icons/

Bizar. I said it before in another topic: if you knew nothing about Apple and saw this... would you really give it any attention? Or dismiss it instantly and move on.

V900
Jun 11, 2013, 01:45 PM
but sometimes i think those who like old looking things like that, have no creativity.

Oh dear... Are you trolling by any chance? Or you're 14 perhaps? I sure hope so, cause that is seriously one of the dumbest and most classless things I've heard in years.

I reckon it's something somebody would say, while puffing on a cigarette, lighting a match and nonchalantly tossing into a pile of 18th century first edition books of Dickens and Hugo.

Or while slashing a Rembrandt for fun and giggles, or while keying a Jaguar Etype cause the owner is parked in your spot.

Dear oh dear...

kmj2318
Jun 11, 2013, 01:47 PM
I've been looking at iOS 7 so much later, that iOS 6 looks totally gross.

Black Magic
Jun 11, 2013, 01:57 PM
They tried to copy the design of Yahoo Weather as a foundation for iOS 7. Only problem here is that they copied it half ass. Look at the icons inside Yahoo Weather and implement that. Don't come back with some RAINBOW BRITE looking stuff.

Oh and the game center icon is nowhere close to being better than what is was in iOS 6. Why balloons? Why not a joystick?

nfl46
Jun 11, 2013, 01:59 PM
I prefer the new!

seetheforest
Jun 11, 2013, 02:00 PM
I am not surprised that most people lack the basic aesthetic sense to recognize that the new design is objectively bad. But it is. Bad. There is a reason all of the artists and designers hate it. Not because it's different, not because they're stuck in the past, not because they prefer skeuomorphism. It's because it is objectively wrong in almost every way. The icon designs are poor and the color palette is literally painful.

This guy gets it. Apple basically took three spins of the design wheel for each icon. Spin #1: Foreground color is either white/grey/rainbow. Spin #2: Background color is some kind of electric pastel. Spin #3: Which direction is the gradient going to go this time?

Just by simply aligning the gradients in the apps you would make the icons more appealing and cohesive. As it is, if this icon set were released as a theme for a jailbroken iOS device no one in their right mind would install or use it.

Bawstun
Jun 11, 2013, 02:09 PM
All this complaining reminds me of the backlash that occurs whenever Facebook makes a slight change to their site. Or Twitter. Or Tumblr.

Or...anything.

You've all been staring at the same icons for 6 years. The sense of familiarity is gone and it is startling - it's going to be OK. I promise. :apple:

Oppressed
Jun 11, 2013, 02:12 PM
So if you came home and your walls had been painted bright pink you'd be all "oh cool!" About it? People don't have to praise everything because its Apple, most of us want progression, there is much of that in iOS 7 but the icons are pretty poor in my opinion (which is as valid as yours).

Nothing I said was praise towards Apple, but I am merely commenting on how people hate change which is obvious. Apple is in a hard place because no matter what they put out yesterday there will be people who hate it, but there are just as many people who love it. Threads like these are pointless because it is here and will likely stay. If they would change it before the fall release it would upset just as many people as the original change caused.

And for your example of the painted walls you have no idea if I would have came home and said "oh cool" or not, and so it is a pretty weak argument. Different strokes for different folks right?

C64
Jun 11, 2013, 02:17 PM
https://twitter.com/fchimero/status/344171569033125888

So @youngna says iOS7 is on trend w neon + ombre, and it freaks me out how much iOS looks like nail art Tumblrs. https://www.google.com/search?as_st=y&tbm=isch&hl=en&as_q=neon+ombre+nails&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&imgsz=&imgar=&imgc=&imgcolor=&imgtype=&cr=&as_sitesearch=&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=&biw=1606&bih=1022&sei=HSa2UfGNJvXi4AOeqoGwCg …

http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/192x/42/51/60/425160a6afcefccc457145df0e98489e.jpg

Well.. damn :')

Ottoman1
Jun 11, 2013, 02:20 PM
These icons could have easily been created by a beginning graphic designer using illustrator in a day or two.

A decent designer could crank these out in an afternoon.

Since they are flat, plain, neon and non-uniform it is hard to see why these icons could be considered inspiring or groundbreaking. They are clip-art basically.

Skeuomorphism was part of the iPhone's signature look. I would say the iPhone has lost it's identity, at least visually, and replaced it with a generic pastel display.

If you want to throw skeuo out it needs to be replaced with something of quality, something worthy of Apple's innovate rich design history.

If so many people are unhappy with the design something is wrong. The design should be universally accepted. Polarizing isn't a buzzword one wants describing their product.

The old icons were cool when they arrived - we all agreed on that at the time. Some of us like the new ones. Many of us don't.

Apple has split it's brand acceptance in half creating two factions of users. Old iconophiles and New iconophiles.

The solution? A toggle between the two.

Everybody wins.

jonnyb098
Jun 11, 2013, 02:27 PM
Well for starters these icons are heavily following a "trend". Neon colors have been big for a couple years (and in the 80s). So this will look VERY outdated within a couple years. A really good design can stand the test of time. Say what you will about previous iOS but a lot of it still holds up after 5 years.

They bragged about unifying things but iOS cant look farther from OS X and the icons look like they were all done by a different first week Illustrator student.

----------

Every time you unlock your phone......So dozens.

steve119
Jun 11, 2013, 02:28 PM
Meh, I like the look of ios7, 6 was too stale.

If you don't like the bright icons then turn the brightness down on your ithing lol:p

Rogifan
Jun 11, 2013, 02:29 PM
Well for starters these icons are heavily following a "trend". Neon colors have been big for a couple years (and in the 80s). So this will look VERY outdated within a couple years. A really good design can stand the test of time. Say what you will about previous iOS but a lot of it still holds up after 5 years.

They bragged about unifying things but iOS cant look farther from OS X and the icons look like they were all done by a different first week Illustrator student.

----------

Every time you unlock your phone......So dozens.
Really? You spend that much time looking at Apple's stock app icons?

jonnyb098
Jun 11, 2013, 02:33 PM
Really? You spend that much time looking at Apple's stock app icons?

Yes, technically if you have an Apple icon on your home screen you will look at it......Correct me if Im wrong but thats how eyes work. :)

doug in albq
Jun 11, 2013, 02:35 PM
These icons could have easily been created by a beginning graphic designer using illustrator in a day or two.

A decent designer could crank these out in an afternoon.

Since they are flat, plain, neon and non-uniform it is hard to see why these icons could be considered inspiring or groundbreaking. They are clip-art basically.

Skeuomorphism was part of the iPhone's signature look. I would say the iPhone has lost it's identity, at least visually, and replaced it with a generic pastel display.

If you want to throw skeuo out it needs to be replaced with something of quality, something worthy of Apple's innovate rich design history.

If so many people are unhappy with the design something is wrong. The design should be universally accepted. Polarizing isn't a buzzword one wants describing their product.

The old icons were cool when they arrived - we all agreed on that at the time. Some of us like the new ones. Many of us don't.

Apple has split it's brand acceptance in half creating two factions of users. Old iconophiles and New iconophiles.

The solution? A toggle between the two.

Everybody wins.

nailed it. Looking like clip art is the lowest, worst description one could give to a piece of graphic/UI design. "clipart-y" they are.

jccfork
Jun 11, 2013, 02:36 PM
I prefer the new ones by far.
Though I can understand they´re not for everybody in a first sight. But I like brave (+ stylish) changes, thus I like this one.

joenj07087
Jun 11, 2013, 03:03 PM
I actually prefer this new look, it looks cleaner and more elegant to me....but this is all subject to personal taste..it is useless to debate the issue, I'm just glad I do like the look and will look forward to the upgrade to IOS 7...

Sdahe
Jun 11, 2013, 03:06 PM
People is going to get use to the new icons... I know it!!!

johndallas999
Jun 11, 2013, 09:04 PM

Funny thing is if you never saw iOS and were asked which screen was from the most current version 95% would probably say ios6

joneun
Jun 11, 2013, 09:06 PM
Yes! I looks like Clip-art! It's really, really, really tacky.

Fire JONY IVE!!!!!

falconeight
Jun 11, 2013, 09:16 PM
nailed it. Looking like clip art is the lowest, worst description one could give to a piece of graphic/UI design. "clipart-y" they are.

All icons and all devices look like some form of clip art.

Troneas
Jun 11, 2013, 09:23 PM

mine doesnt look like clipart thank you very much.

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss3/troneas/HSElite_zps131e7384.png

Drunken Master
Jun 11, 2013, 09:24 PM
iOS 6 is starting to look long in the tooth now.

Jimbo47
Jun 11, 2013, 09:26 PM
Yes! I looks like Clip-art! It's really, really, really tacky.

Fire JONY IVE!!!!!

I'm sure your parents still love you. ;)

Anyway, I like the old icons better. But the background you have definitely makes a huge difference. I guess they'll grow on me.

danahn17
Jun 11, 2013, 09:28 PM

I found a screenshot of the stock homescreens for both iOS6 and iOS7:

http://i.imgur.com/EBSNLFI.jpg

iOS7's design isn't perfect (for example compass, stocks and clock all have a black that doesn't fit well IMO)... but I think it looks cleaner overall (I always hated the water drop background for one).

And IMO, the iOS6 (and before) icons weren't exactly all consistent either.

Overall, I like iOS7's design but then again, what do I know about design? According to posters here, I have no aesthetic sense. :rolleyes:

doug in albq
Jun 11, 2013, 09:28 PM

No they do not. I am guessing you do not actually understand some of the terms being discussed here.

Troneas
Jun 11, 2013, 09:32 PM

Image (http://i.imgur.com/EBSNLFI.jpg)

iOS7's design isn't perfect (for example compass, stocks and clock all have a black that doesn't fit well IMO)... but I think it looks cleaner overall (I always hated the water drop background for one).

Overall, I like iOS7's design but then again, what do I know about design? According to posters here, I have no aesthetic sense. :rolleyes:

if you look at the iOS 7 homescreen long enough, you get a tan.

falconeight
Jun 11, 2013, 09:33 PM
No they do not. I am guessing you do not actually understand some of the terms being discussed here.

Of course I do. I have seen clip art of people, animals, flat, sculptured. What are you talking about?

doug in albq
Jun 11, 2013, 09:36 PM
Of course I do. I have seen clip art of people, animals, flat, sculptured. What are you talking about?

clip art-y...means IT SUCKS-it is uncreative, simple and stock. See, you did not know the actual meaning...at least the meaning that actual visual/graphic designers know.

falconeight
Jun 11, 2013, 09:41 PM
clip art-y...means IT SUCKS-it is uncreative, simple and stock. See, you did not know the actual meaning...at least the meaning that actual visual/graphic designers know.

You just made up that definition. Clip art is clip art and sometimes it sucks and sometimes its pretty cool.

msz7
Jun 11, 2013, 09:42 PM

Exactly, it's not THAT bad. Don't get me wrong, I hate some of the app icons (I'm looking at you Safari...) but others aren't so bad (Messages is alright.) People are overreacting. I got some hands on time with the OS and it's solid. I think some visual changes will be made before the final release; after all this is BETA 1 (as in #1, meaning there will be more betas before the final release, for all of you that seem to not understand that.)

doug in albq
Jun 11, 2013, 09:42 PM
You just made up that definition. Clip art is clip art and sometimes it sucks and sometimes its pretty cool.

and you just proved that you are not a graphic/visual designer and most likely never had any in-depth conversations with any person who is one.

ZacNicholson
Jun 11, 2013, 09:43 PM
I just pray there is a jailbreak for iOS 7 so i can download an iOS 6 theme :p

mine doesnt look like clipart thank you very much.

Image (http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss3/troneas/HSElite_zps131e7384.png)

what theme is that? I want it.

falconeight
Jun 11, 2013, 09:45 PM
and you just proved that you are not a graphic/visual designer and most likely never had any in-depth conversations with any person who is one.

Never said I was a designer of anything. All I am saying is I like iOS 7.

danahn17
Jun 11, 2013, 09:46 PM
if you look at the iOS 7 homescreen long enough, you get a tan.

Where I'm from, that might be an added benefit! :D :p

WWDC2013
Jun 11, 2013, 11:33 PM
" if it ain't broke don't fix it"

41qser
Jun 11, 2013, 11:43 PM
WAHHHHHHH

I DON'T LIKE THE ICONS

WAHHHHHHH

Grow up.

MF878
Jun 11, 2013, 11:51 PM
The only thing this side by side tells me is how quickly I got used to the new look. Shiiiettt, that thing on the left has too many textures going on...

H. Flower
Jun 11, 2013, 11:55 PM
The only revelation was the screenshot of the stacked cities in the weather app during the demo, which was truly beautiful and unique.

The rest is rushed; amateur hour.

Also: Ives needs to get it in his mind clarity and simplicity are two different things, and the former is much more important than the latter when it comes to software design.

TheMBC
Jun 12, 2013, 12:36 AM
Maybe they should have icon sizing and spacing the same as iOS 6, I think that would help with the colorfulness overload.

ucfgrad93
Jun 12, 2013, 12:39 AM

Personally, I think the old icons look better than the new ones.

Zach Vega
Jun 12, 2013, 12:47 AM
The App Store and iTunes apps are hideous, while the Photos app doesn't correspond with photos at all. The rest is great though.

Mak47
Jun 12, 2013, 12:53 AM
The only issue I have with the design is that it seems overly feminine. Not everywhere, and one you install a different wallpaper it does get better, but particularly the music and iTunes icons. They're just so pink and neon it's off-putting.

Then again if I were female I might love them.

I'd love to see an option to choose between a few color schemes. I don't need full customization, but one that's a little less pink would be appreciated.

imaginex20
Jun 12, 2013, 12:57 AM
I'm all for a new change in iOS but I didn't expect the cartoonish designed icons. But if I had to choose today which icons I like better, I definitely would choose iOS 6 icons but take the overall design of iOS 7. Hopefully by public release the icons are fixed; I'm looking at you calendar, safari, and stocks!

KenAFSPC
Jun 12, 2013, 05:00 AM
The only issue I have with the design is that it seems overly feminine. Not everywhere, and one you install a different wallpaper it does get better, but particularly the music and iTunes icons. They're just so pink and neon it's off-putting.

Then again if I were female I might love them.

I'd love to see an option to choose between a few color schemes. I don't need full customization, but one that's a little less pink would be appreciated.The icons look like they were designed by my 16-year old niece. They match her hot pink Apple case. They perfectly match her purse and pastel summer wardrobe. The colors are the perfect match for the new pink-colored iPhone, which is reportedly coming this fall.

Most guys would not be caught dead wearing such colors, so I don't understand why Apple chose them for IOS7.

Mackan
Jun 12, 2013, 05:05 AM

iOS7 looks fine. It looks refreshing. It was time to move on. I am glad Apple did it.

UTS
Jun 12, 2013, 05:06 AM
A number of the icons are just too bright and some need a complete redesign.

This chap managed some simple changes and things look alot better.

http://dribbble.com/shots/1109343-iOS-7-Redesign

Comparison

http://dribbble.com/shots/1109343-iOS-7-Redesign/attachments/140304

KenAFSPC
Jun 12, 2013, 05:17 AM

Comparison

http://dribbble.com/shots/1109343-iOS-7-Redesign/attachments/140304Much improved.

Make the hues a touch darker and add a subtle drop shadow effect to make the the icons stand out from photo backgrounds, and I will be mostly satisfied.

rasputin1969
Jun 12, 2013, 05:31 AM
The Gamma seems wayyyyy too high on some of the new icons.

Korican100
Jun 12, 2013, 09:10 AM
Oh dear... Are you trolling by any chance? Or you're 14 perhaps? I sure hope so, cause that is seriously one of the dumbest and most classless things I've heard in years.

I reckon it's something somebody would say, while puffing on a cigarette, lighting a match and nonchalantly tossing into a pile of 18th century first edition books of Dickens and Hugo.

Or while slashing a Rembrandt for fun and giggles, or while keying a Jaguar Etype cause the owner is parked in your spot.

Dear oh dear...

like i said, my intention wasn't to offend anyone. And its most blatantly obvious that you are.

Look, the old is out, and the new is in. Those who don't like the new, are stuck in the past. Let go, and let innovation happen. Don't stifle development because you are "more comfortable" with safe and stale.

Again, my opinion, and I don't want to offend anyone. iOS7 is creative, innovative, and fun. Those who criticize it, seem to lack any type of creativity in the first place. I'm in the graphic design industry, and I've seen it happen too many times. The client usually wants something flashy and modern, but they usually revert back to old and common -- only to be very unhappy in the short term when they don't get the appeal they were looking for. Then I have to spruce it back up to flashy and modern.

So if you fit in that category, sorry for you. Your creativity is probably limited.

Again my opinion, sorry if it hurts your feelings.

PS: did you really just compare ios6 to Rembrandt and Charles Dickens? Lmao...who's "14" now?

Bathplug
Jun 12, 2013, 09:19 AM
Old icons > new icons.

But after seeing some screenshots with different wallpapers they don't look as bad but all the new icons are still quite bad imo. Hopefully they get improved though during the beta.

auero
Jun 12, 2013, 09:23 AM
Personally, iOS 6 looks better than iOS 7 just by looking at the home screen.

I'm afraid to see what developers do with their icons and applications. If they try to mimic iOS's styling then everything will just look the same similar to Windows phone. I think it'll kill creativity for designers and developers.

JellyFish
Jun 12, 2013, 09:26 AM

That is exactly why I removed iOS 7 from my iPhone 5, and went back to iOS 6. iOS 7's icons look like they were designed for giggling, 13 year old girls. I could not stand looking at that home screen every day, it's just far too garish for me.

Too bad too, as the features and functionality in iOS 7 are great. But it also has to be visually comfortable, and it's just not for me. I'll sit tight with iOS 6, and wait for a new version of iOS that doesn't feel like someone dragging a cheese grater across my eyeballs.

Dzupiris
Jun 12, 2013, 09:28 AM
Ios 7 icons look modern but a few need improvement like photos(it looks like snapseed), camera, notes(too plain), game center(how are the bubbles related to this app?), newsstand(they can do better than this), settings and safari.

johndallas999
Jun 12, 2013, 09:33 AM

While I like most of ios7's features and look, those screenshots aren't even close as far as what looks better. Anyone who says they think ios7 looks better is a liar or blind.

bigchrisfgb
Jun 12, 2013, 10:40 AM

Overall, I like iOS7's design but then again, what do I know about design? According to posters here, I have no aesthetic sense. :rolleyes:Actually this is the stock screen of iOS6.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7d/IOS_6_Home_Screen.png

vannibombonato
Jun 12, 2013, 10:55 AM
Much improved.

Make the hues a touch darker and add a subtle drop shadow effect to make the the icons stand out from photo backgrounds, and I will be mostly satisfied.

Not a fair comparison, the background is totally different. And yes, you get to choose the background. I agree with you the background Apple choose is, for my taste, really bad. But you have to make an...Apple to Apple comparison :D

Put the same background in both, show it to 10 people and you'll have 8 people telling you "which differences are you talking about?", 1 people saying it prefers the left one, the remaining person the right one.

I agree at this stage of icons design, for my taste, you need a dark background. The stock one looks too "candy" to me, but that's imho, we're talking colors here guys, it's a matter of taste!

AQUADock
Jun 12, 2013, 10:59 AM
Actually this is the stock screen of iOS6.

Image (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7d/IOS_6_Home_Screen.png)

Does it really matter, the point was to show the difference between the icons. However I still can't get over how ugly the iOS 7 icons are. Every time i look at them im like :eek:.

Brittany246
Jun 12, 2013, 11:45 AM

?

baller1308
Jun 12, 2013, 11:59 AM
I don't know if I got used to the new icons or just don't remember what it used to look like but I don't find it to be as bad as I initially felt. I still agree, some icons need some work, (ie gradients too strong and inconsistent, settings icon has too much going on, game center doesn't really make any sense, to name a few), but I think if you experience the entire iOS, then it might make more sense.

batman75
Jun 12, 2013, 12:11 PM
On first glance I didn't like iOS 7s appearance. Now I find it to be the most beautiful user interface I own.

The new icon designs cannot be considered in a still view. The OS is very dynamic - especially in the way every action results in an animated reaction. The icon design is cohesive with that dynamic flow. Looking at it in a still shot is looking at it out of context.

zbarvian
Jun 12, 2013, 12:16 PM
Guys, the visuals in iOS 7 are objectively bad. Don't be deluded and think its just a matter of acclimating your eyes to the new look. It's pretty awful. There is a huge backlash from average users, and more importantly from the design community. All the polish that came after 5 years of iteration is now gone, and Ive gave us something that looks so amateur, so unprofessional, it tarnishes the Apple brand.

canucksfan88
Jun 12, 2013, 12:17 PM
ios6 makes me want to puke

madsci954
Jun 12, 2013, 12:20 PM
I love iOS 7 and I cannot wait to get it in the fall! (dead serious, no sarcasm)

In fact, now looking at iOS 6 on my iPhone 5, it looks old and dated, like looking at 2 computer monitors, one with Win XP and the other with Win 7.

chrf097
Jun 12, 2013, 12:39 PM
You're joking... right?

Nope.

I think iOS 7 looks great. Deal with it.

sigamy
Jun 12, 2013, 12:49 PM
In screen shots I have seen iOS 7 icons look much better with a dark background. But, I agree with others that these look a bit amateurish, toy-like and basically too girly.

I posted before the keynote that I simply don't understand the move away from photo-realistic icons and elemetns. We have so much processing power--why not use it? I'm not talking about green felt and yellow legal paper here. Those serve no real purpose. By why shouldn't the camera app icon show a high res picture of a camera?

One article said the camera icon looks like clip art and I agree 100%. It's like when you see someone today creating a terrible flyer in MS Word using clip art. It looks like 1995...

I'm holding out hope that a series of more even bigger annnouncments for iOS 7 are coming. One of those will be the abililty to change the default apps or change icons.

PrometheusGeek
Jun 12, 2013, 12:58 PM
I personally like the overall iOS 7 design. All the fake photorealism, glassy gloss and skumorphism did look cheap and old. iOS 7 makes it seem outdated. A few of the icons aren't my favorite, but we'll all get used to them. Everyone needs to stop with all of the overreaction and hate, IMO. People are nervous for change. It'll all be fine. And just because the pretentious Verge guys think it's ugly doesn't mean that's the objective reality of it. After all, just take a look at their homepage (http://www.theverge.com). They're into a retro-70s neuvo-hippy kinda jibe over there. That's all good, but it's not like it's the gold standard of design. If Starsky and Hutch don't like the 21st century, that's ok by me

Geckotek
Jun 12, 2013, 02:13 PM

And just in case it wasn't clear, overall I like what I see in iOS 7 and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm seriously tempted to load the betas. (I usually wait patiently).

stickybuns
Jun 12, 2013, 02:32 PM
Anyone else think that the new icons--especially Newstand--have a bit of a retro, 1960s mod look to them?

Ottoman1
Jun 12, 2013, 02:40 PM
clip art

blackhand1001
Jun 12, 2013, 02:48 PM

Android has home screens and an app drawer. This makes it much easier to find apps you don't use often and put the apps you use frequently right in front of you. The app drawer is arranged alphabetically so its easy to find any app quickly.

Here's my homescreen. I have my most used apps right in front of me, a nice simple widget, and a clean overall look.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-J1Zd96m23SM/UbjREoL7AnI/AAAAAAAAAYU/isjIhNUhI2E/w467-h830-no/Screenshot_2013-06-12-15-50-09.png

madsci954
Jun 12, 2013, 02:51 PM
Anyone else think that the new icons--especially Newstand--have a bit of a retro, 1960s mod look to them?

Now that you mention it, yeah.

Paddle1
Jun 12, 2013, 03:29 PM

The water drops are iOS 5's stock background, iOS 6 has a different one.

Brittany246
Jun 12, 2013, 03:43 PM
Nope.

I think iOS 7 looks great. Deal with it.

I'm honestly having a hard time believing anybody thinks those clashing neon colors look good together... >_>

Holty123
Jun 12, 2013, 03:44 PM
the ios6 icons are more detailed but once you have ios7 for a day or so you soon get used to it

WDE87
Jun 12, 2013, 03:46 PM

Comparison

a million times better...seriously though

Niceisnice
Jun 12, 2013, 04:05 PM
a million times better...seriously though

As said in other discussion, I also like this one a lot:
http://dribbble.com/shots/1111784-iOS-7-icons-redesign/attachments/140689

http://dribbble.s3.amazonaws.com/users/136211/screenshots/1111784/attachments/140689/ios7_icon_redesign_by_ida_swarczewskaja.png

nevesis
Jun 12, 2013, 04:07 PM
http://dribbble.s3.amazonaws.com/users/121011/screenshots/1112094/attachments/140752/iOS7-HD.png

http://dribbble.s3.amazonaws.com/users/121011/screenshots/1112094/attachments/140753/iOS7-real-px.png

Niceisnice
Jun 12, 2013, 04:25 PM
Nice as well.
Apple must be making its hiring market right now :)

sbailey4
Jun 12, 2013, 05:07 PM
I thought Ive went on and on about "everything is done for a reason". What's the point of changing a signal bar graphic that everyone is used to?

I have seen this comment a few times regarding the signal strength indicator. Why not the standard 'fan' that's been around since the mobile phone existed? (maybe I just answered that). Anyway I suspect the "reason" was its a LOT easier to know the signal when less than full strength with the new look. The old fan got so small when approaching 1 or 2 bars it was hard to really see whether it was 2 or 3. The new look is a definite 1-5 bar and no squinting to tell. Anyway that COULD be the point. Its definitely easier to tell where your signal strength stands verses the progressively smaller bars of yesteryear.

darngooddesign
Jun 12, 2013, 05:11 PM
Nevis, the center of the Photos box should be darker. Its inconsistent with the Stores and Safari.

tee-tz
Jun 12, 2013, 05:25 PM
Agree with most that the new icons aren't breathe-taking (like Safari), but good to know they are still a 'work-in-progress' and will likely change.

The idea is right, they may just need a bit better color palette and maybe 'depth', in my opinion.

I wouldn't say they are all completely terrible; but I think and expect them to be improved.

Paddle1
Jun 12, 2013, 05:33 PM
Image (http://dribbble.s3.amazonaws.com/users/121011/screenshots/1112094/attachments/140752/iOS7-HD.png)

Image (http://dribbble.s3.amazonaws.com/users/121011/screenshots/1112094/attachments/140753/iOS7-real-px.png)

Too much shadow.

xcodeaddict
Jun 12, 2013, 05:50 PM

Image (http://dribbble.s3.amazonaws.com/users/136211/screenshots/1111784/attachments/140689/ios7_icon_redesign_by_ida_swarczewskaja.png)

^ this is lovely :)

Thank you.

----------

Image (http://dribbble.s3.amazonaws.com/users/121011/screenshots/1112094/attachments/140752/iOS7-HD.png)

Image (http://dribbble.s3.amazonaws.com/users/121011/screenshots/1112094/attachments/140753/iOS7-real-px.png)

The icons are lovely, but the logo shadows? Not so much - the whole idea with iOS 7 is to be flatter - the shadows seem to directly contradict that.

KenAFSPC
Jun 12, 2013, 06:03 PM

^ this is lovely :)
I like the subtle drop shadows.

Drop shadows make it easier to distinguish icons from backgrounds. That's a good thing, in moderation. IOS took it to the extreme. Unfortunately, IOS7 takes us to the opposite extreme. Flat icons are what we had back in the days of Windows 3.1 and OS7, before OSX (NeXT) revolutionized icon design. I have no interest in going back to Windows 3.1.

xcodeaddict
Jun 12, 2013, 06:11 PM
I agree. I like the subtle drop shadows.

Drop shadows make it easier to distinguish icons from backgrounds. That's a good thing, in moderation. IOS took it to the extreme. Unfortunately, IOS7 takes us to the opposite extreme. Flat icons are what we had back in the days of Windows 3.1 and OS7, before OSX (NeXT) revolutionized icon design. I have no interest in going back to Windows 3.1.

I don't wish to be captain obvious, but this isn't Windows 3.1, and also... there's a great human liberty called "choice" - the great thing about it is that you get to exercise it, without it affecting anyone else! Great, eh? :)

MLG
Jun 12, 2013, 06:25 PM
Every single one of these options posted is better than the real thing. EVERY ONE. WWSJD? I can hear him saying SMH from beyond the grave.

----------

This is really good. If the goal is to go for a "flat" theme, this is VASTLY better than the one they presented.

The simple solution is for Apple to allow for icon themes. Novel idea (or not so novel if you have experience with Android)...let people CHOOSE. That way everyone is happy. Not everyone is going to be happy with the same look. And if they only go with their iOS7 option people will run for the hills.

darngooddesign
Jun 12, 2013, 06:38 PM
The simple solution is for Apple to allow for icon themes. Novel idea (or not so novel if you have experience with Android)...

Not so novel if you were jailbreaking iPhones back when Android was a Windows Mobile/Palm knockoff.

pdutta2000
Jun 12, 2013, 07:08 PM

Looks awesome. How do I get this?

MLG
Jun 12, 2013, 08:04 PM
Not so novel if you were jailbreaking iPhones back when Android was a Windows Mobile/Palm knockoff.

It helps if you include the novel idea that I said in the rest of the sentence instead of cutting it off...let people CHOOSE. Apple has never done that. And jailbreaking is not endorsed. Apple even went so far as to try to make it illegal. Even still they will void your warranty for jailbreaking.

What I'm suggesting is that they should include some of those customization options in iOS.

darngooddesign
Jun 12, 2013, 08:12 PM
It helps if you include the novel idea that I said in the rest of the sentence instead of cutting it off...let people CHOOSE. Apple has never done that. And jailbreaking is not endorsed. Apple even went so far as to try to make it illegal. Even still they will void your warranty for jailbreaking.

What I'm suggesting is that they should include some of those customization options in iOS.

I took your novel idea as icon themes. I do think Apple should have included a dark and light theme.

sbailey4
Jun 12, 2013, 08:14 PM
the ios6 icons are more detailed but once you have ios7 for a day or so you soon get used to it

wow that's kind of the point. The orig look of the Apple phone did not require one to "get used to it". It was very premium looking and polished right from the start. Now we need to "get used to it".

While the feature set of iOS7 looks like its a winner, those icons and green switches really look like a kids device not a grown-up or corp user. Perhaps Apple is worried about those Samsung commercials touting that iPhone is for old folks so made it more child like. I have to say for the vote here I like the look of iOS6 better. Looks more expensive like the actual device itself.

xcodeaddict
Jun 12, 2013, 08:15 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7295/9030381356_7a644edef0_z.jpg

sh4ne
Jun 12, 2013, 08:16 PM
this will resolve everything.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/12/jony-ive-put-apples-marketing-team-in-charge-of-ios-7-icon-design/

read the bottom of the video....

The site goes on to note that the design is a "firmly a 'work in progress'", and that the look and feel of the icons and other new UI bits are likely to change significantly as the iOS 7 beta proceeds.

DavidMarks
Jun 12, 2013, 08:19 PM
Messages, Calendar, Calculator Photos, Clock, Maps, Notes, Reminders, Stocks, Passbook, Compass, Phone look better in iOS 7. Folders too.

Camera icon and Settings look 'dead', colouring in Weather and Mail look inside out, creating a 'dimple' effect and should be inverted. Videos looks too bright, Game Center looks weird and detached from the rest, Newsstand looks like Clip-art, iTunes and App stores' circles are way too big, creating a dominating effect over the other icons. Music app should stay plain orange. Safari icon should replace the white outline with a dark blue one.

The overall look of the icons is unpolished and inconsistent. By that I mean they should retouch all the icons so they all use the same sense of 'depth'. You know, like in iOS 6 all the icons seem to pop, in iOS 7 ALL the icons should look even.

The default background should be changed to a more discreet one, this one is too bright and totally lacks the 'premium' feel. iOS7 should ship with a nice landscape photo with good-looking mid-tones.

iOS 6 looks more solid but static. iOS 7 looks more dynamic but inconsistent.

I say don't worry, as this is an early beta and things will look a lot more consistent over time as the final release approaches - just like probably happened with iOS 1.

This is my opinion.

----------

Looks really great! It should me more in line with Apple's default icon set, though.

MLG
Jun 12, 2013, 08:23 PM
this will resolve everything.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/12/jony-ive-put-apples-marketing-team-in-charge-of-ios-7-icon-design/

read the bottom of the video....

Apparently MarCom is a 2nd grade class at Cupertino Elementary.

DavidMarks
Jun 12, 2013, 09:00 PM

Comparison

Yep. This guy nailed it.

danahn17
Jun 12, 2013, 09:10 PM
Apparently MarCom is a 2nd grade class at Cupertino Elementary.

Well, to be fair, they probably do not have as much (if any) experience or education on designing logos/icons. They're marketers, not designers. And Apple has been one of the best at marketing.

I like the more unified design of the icons... but I kind of liked the bright colors of iOS7, not the more muted/conservative ones used here. And no, I am not a preteen girl either :p