PDA

View Full Version : Don't knock IOS7 until you use it.

JoEw
Jun 11, 2013, 12:55 PM
Have the beta and wow, I must say it is very very very nice. While still pretty buggy since it is still the first beta. I feel like it is a change in the correct direction for the operating system.

Using it is much different then just looking at it. I was worried at first from such a drastic looking change but I can assure you this is still very much Apple we all love.

viperGTS
Jun 11, 2013, 12:58 PM
Unfortunately, once we try it when it ships in the fall, we can't change back...

JoEw
Jun 11, 2013, 01:00 PM
Unfortunately, once we try it when it ships in the fall, we can't change back...

You really will not want too.

That is a bold statement, but it is finally a modernized ios.

Jordan921
Jun 11, 2013, 01:01 PM

When it ships in the fall you don't have to update if you don't want to.

z06gal
Jun 11, 2013, 01:02 PM
I love it so far. It is smooth and very elegant ;)

utyankee
Jun 11, 2013, 01:02 PM
+1

i love it so far. It is smooth and very elegant ;)

Bobby Corwen
Jun 11, 2013, 01:05 PM
What I hate the most is the white on white design of confusion.

Some of the criticisms of android I had before have cropped up now here.

The flatness makes it not simple but confusingly plain.

What I like us the details of opacity and the control center.

I don't like the lack of shapes and design.

Rogifan
Jun 11, 2013, 01:07 PM
So I get this impression that people who are actually using it like it and those who haven't used it and are just going off a screen shot of the home screen hate it.

falconeight
Jun 11, 2013, 01:07 PM
What I hate the most is the white on white design of confusion.

Some of the criticisms of android I had before have cropped up now here.

The flatness makes it not simple but confusingly plain.

What I like us the details of opacity and the control center.

I don't like the lack of shapes and design.

"Confusingly plain" makes no sense.

Patriot24
Jun 11, 2013, 01:13 PM
So I get this impression that people who are actually using it like it and those who haven't used it and are just going off a screen shot of the home screen hate it.

Yep.

I have seen very few people that are actually using the beta that are panning it. Sure, there are small criticisms and frustrations, but once you use it, it is a different ballgame.

I have been using the term "emotion" to explain a lot of what I have seen thus far. Clearly that isn't something you can really get from a screenshot.

Rogifan
Jun 11, 2013, 01:15 PM
Yep.

I have seen very few people that are actually using the beta that are panning it. Sure, there are small criticisms and frustrations, but once you use it, it is a different ballgame.

I have been using the term "emotion" to explain a lot of what I have seen thus far. Clearly that isn't something you can really get from a screenshot.
I hate all the knee jerk reactions and drama queens. You'd think their life is no longer worth living because they don't like the Safari app icon. :rolleyes:

falconeight
Jun 11, 2013, 01:26 PM
You can give these people a million dollars and they would complain about paying taxes on it.

Cgdoc519
Jun 11, 2013, 01:32 PM
Yep.

Well put, that is exactly how I feel.

joenj07087
Jun 11, 2013, 01:38 PM
I'm one of those that do not have the IOS 7 installed , I don't even have an iphone 5, but I absolutely love what I have seen so far of IOS 7...can't wait..to upgrade to iphone 5 and IOS 7!! : )

rasputin1969
Jun 11, 2013, 01:40 PM
It is awful. So awful that, for the first time, I have downgraded. As user this is no biggy - I'll just stick with OS 6. The icons are amateurish, the dock is a bland rectangle gaussian blur. The inbuilt controls like the switch look off balance, as do the icons and in fact almost every UI element. It is just awful

As a developer - I'm concerned we could see a negative effect on hardware sales and if hardware sales drop then we will see a hit in Appstore sales.

falconeight
Jun 11, 2013, 01:47 PM
It is awful. So awful that, for the first time, I have downgraded. As user this is no biggy - I'll just stick with OS 6. The icons are amateurish, the dock is a bland rectangle gaussian blur. The inbuilt controls like the switch look off balance, as do the icons and in fact almost every UI element. It is just awful

As a developer - I'm concerned we could see a negative effect on hardware sales and if hardware sales drop then we will see a hit in Appstore sales.

I suggest some anti anxiety meds.

cmanderson
Jun 11, 2013, 01:48 PM
You can give these people a million dollars and they would complain about paying taxes on it.

Well yeah, the tax authority is "stealing" "their" money.

retrospek
Jun 11, 2013, 01:51 PM
I got iOS 7 last night - and can't say I like it. The calendar is worse, the folders are worse, don't like the new reminders, I could go on..

I don't see what was wrong with it before - would have preferred if they had spent time working on widgets etc. instead of these pastel colours !

johndallas999
Jun 11, 2013, 01:52 PM
Have the beta and wow, I must say it is very very very nice. While still pretty buggy since it is still the first beta. I feel like it is a change in the correct direction for the operating system.

Using it is much different then just looking at it. I was worried at first from such a drastic looking change but I can assure you this is still very much Apple we all love.

I've used it for a day and like the overall updates but the main screen icons are so low rent and cheap looking. That's my only complaint so far. I like the functionality and feel of it but those low res pastel's are horrid!

bbfc
Jun 11, 2013, 01:52 PM
I've just installed it on my 4S and I must admit, I really like it. It's certainly different but still elegant. The new subtle animations are cool and the overhauled apps are really nice. I love the new safari.

The battery seems to be draining quite quickly though.

Looking forward to future beta releases to see what they refine.

rasputin1969
Jun 11, 2013, 01:57 PM
I suggest some anti anxiety meds.

LOL - You're right. I need some after using that train-wreck.

After the early beta for Windows 8 I could not believe Microsoft were really serious about releasing the OS. It then became apparent that - whether through group-think, or a serious disconnect between upper management and the real-world - that Microsoft did not realise how flawed the OS was.

I'm starting to feel that something has gone amiss in the organisation structure of Apple.

mattdo93
Jun 11, 2013, 02:05 PM
When I went on Apple's website and saw it, I was surprised at first, in a not-so-good way. But now that I've used it, I love it! :D

Only thing that sucks is that all the 3rd party apps are still not updated with the new keyboard and UI designs. Google is somewhat manageable, but in time I guess..

erawsd
Jun 11, 2013, 02:19 PM
After a night and half a day with ios7 my thought is that the features are great and there is tremendous promise there. I don't mind the look of the UI, but I do think that usability and "ease of use" has dropped significantly -- luckily, a lot of the issues should be easy to fix moving toward the live release.

throys
Jun 11, 2013, 02:33 PM
iOS7 is truly awesome for all the people who was moaning about been bored about iOS this one will keep you occupied, new features, activation lock, ability to block calls text etc, control panel, keychain and list goes on. I'm really happy and I do not mind the icons

sdilley14
Jun 11, 2013, 02:35 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking too.

Using and interacting with an operating system is a vastly different experience than just looking at some screen shots. I think it is way too early to make any "I love it!/I hate it!" proclamations if you haven't installed the beta.

fivedots
Jun 11, 2013, 02:37 PM
I used it. Has potential, needs refinement. About what I'd expect from the beta of a radically redesigned piece of software.

They've made some great choices and they've made some questionable ones. Apps themselves look pretty good. Springboard/home screen looks a bit goofy.

Rogifan
Jun 11, 2013, 02:44 PM
I used it. Has potential, needs refinement. About what I'd expect from the beta of a radically redesigned piece of software.

They've made some great choices and they've made some questionable ones. Apps themselves look pretty good. Springboard/home screen looks a bit goofy.

People forget that they basically redesigned everything in 6 months. Perhaps that was too ambitious and they should have saved the full redesign for iOS 8. But had iOS 7 looked just like iOS 6 I think people would have been complaining just as loudly, especially if some of the new features didn't show up. This is just the beginning. No one can expect a brand new UI to be great right out of the gate.

fivedots
Jun 11, 2013, 02:45 PM
People forget that they basically redesigned everything in 6 months. Perhaps that was too ambitious and they should have saved the full redesign for iOS 8. But had iOS 7 looked just like iOS 6 I think people would have been complaining just as loudly, especially if some of the new features didn't show up. This is just the beginning. No one can expect a brand new UI to be great right out of the gate.
People forget to read entire comments. I clearly said, "About what I'd expect from the beta of a radically redesigned piece of software."

Rogifan
Jun 11, 2013, 02:50 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking too.

Using and interacting with an operating system is a vastly different experience than just looking at some screen shots. I think it is way too early to make any "I love it!/I hate it!" proclamations if you haven't installed the beta.

And how many here who say they've used it are developers spending extensive time really testing it? With some posts I don't get the feeling they've spent a lot of time with it. And a lot of the negative posts are from people who haven't used it at all.

Brittany246
Jun 11, 2013, 03:02 PM
I put iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 last night, and I still thought it was ugly. The messages app looked a little less ugly than I originally thought, though. I'm fine with literally everything except for the ugliness. The stock apps are all ugly as hell except for the weather app. The icons are hideous as well... I love the lock screen, but that's about it. The color scheme is absolutely disgusting... The colors clearly don't go well together. I honestly can't understand why people think it looks elegant... I had it for less than a day and decided to go back to 6.1.4...

AppleMacNerd
Jun 11, 2013, 03:13 PM
I'm using it on an iPhone 4S love it amazing, comparing to 6.1.3, iOS 6 side by side now looks outdated by quite a few years!

Very happy, fresh new look & runs smooth!

PhoneandPad
Jun 11, 2013, 03:18 PM
I want a sound equalizer that applies to all apps whether streaming, podcast or music. I want widgets so I can toggle WiFi/3g conection instantly from home screen. I want to be able to see which channels local WiFis are on so I can retune my own router if needed. All these things I had on my old Android 2.3 before I moved to iPhone 4 and IOS 6.

Any chance of the above listed features with IOS 7?

joenj07087
Jun 11, 2013, 03:18 PM
I guess it is a matter of taste, to me it looks elegant because it doesn't look cluttered...it has a simple clean look, which I prefer to overly produced icons..but this is all down to personal taste...I'm just glad I do like the new look...it is up my alley! : )

LeandrodaFL
Jun 11, 2013, 03:22 PM
I like the windows aero effects. Windows Vista on my iphone!

notrack
Jun 11, 2013, 04:15 PM

Agree.

One has to consider the situation: they are trying to establish a whole new design language with a guy who is a brilliant designer but does his first own UI design, and all that in a really short time. So it's understandable if not everything works out perfectly in the first shot. (Although I had hoped so.)

But most important is that the user feels that it is still Apple dispite the drastic visual change. If that would have gone wrong, the prettiest design couldn't fix it.