Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lopez.T.H.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
I think my indicator might be messed up. I fully charged it this morning and on a 30min bus ride all I did was create a new on-the-go playlist. THat brought the battery "down" to red. Then it lasts 3 days on the red part of the battery......... Anyone else have the same issue?

tdogg20

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
Mine does to, but i dont think it affects the battery. I talked to an apple guy and he said that the battery meters have bugs. Does your battery last the full time?

Lopez.T.H.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Yea it lasts. It takes about another 2-3 days for it to completely dead.

tdogg20

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
Yea i hope they come out with some way to fix it. Its really annoying. Hopefully they come out with a download/patch or something. Anyone now of anything.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
It's a well-known issue: the real problem is just how the battery meter decides how much power is "left."

It's really guessing kinda blindly based on how much power it's using right then. That's why it almost always drops down unnecessarily when you do anything that spins up the hard disk.

Konradx

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
Toronto, Canada
the battery must be bugged. i played a 10 minute video and i lost 1/4 of my battery..but ive played from fully charged 3 hours and 25 minutes of movie before my battery died...so just ignore it..which sucks..because you dont know if you really are low on battery and need to rashin it or if you got still a 1/4 left

tdogg20

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
They better come out with something soon because when i pay 300 dollars for something it better be fully functional

Lopez.T.H.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
I dont think the dudes at apple know how to even put on an invisible shield.... I have one too.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
cdubb213 said:
I posted this problem a while ago and nobody even paid atttention.

Don't be so down on yourself! You had two replies. :p

Anyway, I have yet to watch a video straight through but today showing people Will Ferrel iPod ads and listening to music I have had no problems whatsoever.

tdogg20

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
So have anyones problems with this affected there battery life? Also is there any way to fix this yet?

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
tdogg20 said:
So have anyones problems with this affected there battery life? Also is there any way to fix this yet?

with regards to affecting battery life, i don't recommend charging your ipod up and then letting it play 'till it dies just to see how long it lasts; that's a waste of a charge cycle. http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipods.html stipulates that you only get about 1000 charges and discharges (meaning 1000 charge cycles) before the battery dies. if you don't want to kill your battery sooner, don't do that test.

that site also has numerous tips on how to keep your batteries at their best.

tdogg20

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
same here mine still did not fix after 4 cycles! This is frusterating! I think that my battery might be weaker to but im not sure. Can anyone give some advice on how to fix the meter or the battery life with this problem.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
tdogg20 said:
same here mine still did not fix after 4 cycles! This is frusterating! I think that my battery might be weaker to but im not sure. Can anyone give some advice on how to fix the meter or the battery life with this problem.

from http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipods.html
Charge Cycles
A properly maintained iPod battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity after 400 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs.

my mistake with regards to how many full charge/discharge cycles...now, i'm not saying that charging and discharging will fix your guys' problems, but i am saying that charging/discharging them (as a test, not normal use) a # of times will only hammer at that 400 cycles, bringing the time at which your ipod's battery will only hold 80% of its original capacity much closer to the present.

tdogg20

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
Is there something wrong iwth my battery life if my iPod lasts for 45 min of video and 7 hrs of music?

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Those of you saying you're getting 3+ hrs of video playback, is that with the backlight on of off? If its on, thats pretty effin' awesome :cool:

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
speaking of iPod Video batteries:
I'm thinking of getting one, whenever the battery eventually dies (for good), is it possible to replace, can it be replaced by a user, or do they have to bring it in to Apple?

tdogg20

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
I meant like i watched 45 min of video and then listened to music for 7 hours and then the battery died

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
tdogg20 said:
I meant like i watched 45 min of video and then listened to music for 7 hours and then the battery died

oh...umm, i'm not sure then. i'd advise taking it to your local apple store; the techs there can check certain diagnostics that would tell you if you have any battery problems or not

EricNau said:
speaking of iPod Video batteries:
I'm thinking of getting one, whenever the battery eventually dies (for good), is it possible to replace, can it be replaced by a user, or do they have to bring it in to Apple?

yes, the user can replace them, there are some online guides. the batteries will probably be available for sale within the next six months, as soon as somebody opens one up, finds out the battery type, and buys some en masse to sell to the rest of us. http://www.newertechnology.com is pretty good.

Konradx

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
Toronto, Canada
blaskillet4 said:
Those of you saying you're getting 3+ hrs of video playback, is that with the backlight on of off? If its on, thats pretty effin' awesome :cool:

when i ran my test the backlight was on. I played a 30 minute episode followed by the ff7 movie, followed by an hour or something else..but i know when i added my time from how long they wur it was 3 hours and 20ish minutes

dsomekh

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2005
Battery Indicator Problem

My battery indicator is also misleading. It fluctuates anywhere between empty and nearly full and bares no correlation with the actual battery status. I bought my iPod nearly a week ago and I'm thinking of taking it back for a replacement. Has anyone done the same?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.