PDA

View Full Version : I guarantee there will be UI visual design updates before this goes live...

doug in albq
Jun 11, 2013, 02:11 PM
I guarantee there will be UI visual design updates before this goes live...

besides the 1980's icons, on the home screen the app name is in pure white or pure black, with not even a hint of a drop shadow.... This has to be a mistake.

And I hope they fix much of the other visual design mistakes in iOS 7 unveiled at WWDC yesterday.

Oppressed
Jun 11, 2013, 02:14 PM
You have no idea what you are talking about, nor can guarantee anything.

iamthekiller
Jun 11, 2013, 02:15 PM
This is one of the biggest blowhard posts of the year. Good luck finding this guy when iOS 7 is released and he's laughably wrong.

Serelus
Jun 11, 2013, 02:17 PM
You don't seem to understand that these theme-like UI's are always a matter of taste, you have no way of knowing who likes it and who doesn't as only developers have access to the OS as we speak, please stop making presumptions.

jonnyb098
Jun 11, 2013, 02:19 PM
The OP is very correct on the lack of ANY sort of shadow. Put on the wrong color wallpaper and BOOM, cant read anything. With all previous iOS you could put ANY color wallpaper and would still have readability.

Ottoman1
Jun 11, 2013, 02:24 PM
The labels and buttons need drop shadow and/or glows. My money is on Apple doing this as well.

It would be a bizarre choice not to as it would take away from the visual impact of the interface.

doug in albq
Jun 11, 2013, 02:24 PM
You have no idea what you are talking about, nor can guarantee anything.

a little bit better of an idea than you...and there is always subtle UI changes between the first beta and the final release, even on versions that are not visual train-wrecks...

fivedots
Jun 11, 2013, 02:25 PM
Cut him some slack - he's guaranteeing there will be changes to a beta version of a product that isn't going to be released for 3 months.

He's practically a prophet.

doug in albq
Jun 11, 2013, 02:27 PM
This is one of the biggest blowhard posts of the year. Good luck finding this guy when iOS 7 is released and he's laughably wrong.

want to put a wager on it?

angelwings
Jun 11, 2013, 02:38 PM
want to put a wager on it?

50 Million Monopoly Money and your on!

joneun
Jun 11, 2013, 02:40 PM
I guarantee they will be making some changes as well.

falconeight
Jun 11, 2013, 02:44 PM
I will guarantee that someone, one day will steal the moon.

doug in albq
Jun 12, 2013, 03:33 PM
Boom: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17411463&posted=1#post17411463

The site goes on to note that the design is a "firmly a 'work in progress'", and that the look and feel of the icons and other new UI bits are likely to change significantly as the iOS 7 beta proceeds.

...significantly...

Holty123
Jun 12, 2013, 03:37 PM
I agree that changes will happen

darngooddesign
Jun 12, 2013, 03:39 PM
Boom: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17411463&posted=1#post17411463

The site goes on to note that the design is a "firmly a 'work in progress'", and that the look and feel of the icons and other new UI bits are likely to change significantly as the iOS 7 beta proceeds.

...significantly...

So you're suggesting they will make changes to something released as the first beta... way to go out on a limb.

HMI
Jun 12, 2013, 03:40 PM

Samsung.

Rogifan
Jun 12, 2013, 03:40 PM
So you're suggesting they will make changes to something released as the first beta... way to go out on a limb.

But how often are there major visual design changes during betas? I thought betas were mostly for bug fixes.

darngooddesign
Jun 12, 2013, 03:41 PM
But how often are there major visual design changes during betas? I thought betas were mostly for bug fixes.

The beta period is the fix anything they deem necessary. Visual designers consider issues with visuals to be bugs.

To put it in perspective, the original iPhone shown in beta form didn't even have the YouTube app.

doug in albq
Jun 12, 2013, 03:43 PM

significantly.

which is different.

Also, passing the buck on the visual design is a new one for an apple exec.

----------

The beta period is the fix anything they deem necessary. Visual designers consider issues with visuals to be bugs.

To put it in perspective, the original iPhone shown in beta form didn't even have the YouTube app.

"the irrelevant comparison"

darngooddesign
Jun 12, 2013, 03:46 PM
significantly.

which is different.

Oooooo significantly.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the visuals might change before the final release.

monaarts
Jun 12, 2013, 03:55 PM

besides the 1980's icons, on the home screen the app name is in pure white or pure black, with not even a hint of a drop shadow.... This has to be a mistake.

And I hope they fix much of the other visual design mistakes in iOS 7 unveiled at WWDC yesterday.

I am hoping they would change it (and assumed they would because most of the OS needs to be polished) but obviously I can not predict the future.

----------

Oooooo significantly.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the visuals might change before the final release.

Yesterday everyone was basically calling the OP an idiot and now everyone is going to tell OP that his prediction is an obvious claim. :D

gmanist1000
Jun 12, 2013, 03:58 PM

Good job OP, you guess right :)

cmichaelb
Jun 12, 2013, 04:00 PM

Not 1980's - late 1950's Euro modernism.

msz7
Jun 12, 2013, 04:01 PM

Don't listen to those who laugh at you. I think you bring up a good point. Historically, Apple has ignored the haters and just gone on doing what they do best. However, sometimes things catch on (remember "Antennagate"?) and the media blows stuff out of proportion. I don't think this will be nearly as big of a deal as Antennagate was, but I do think Apple will make some design changes. It's a beta after all, nothing's guaranteed.

Also:
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/12/jony-ive-put-apples-marketing-team-in-charge-of-ios-7-icon-design/

Things can and probably will change

doug in albq
Jun 12, 2013, 04:09 PM
Yesterday everyone was basically calling the OP an idiot and now everyone is going to tell OP that his prediction is an obvious claim. :D

Yes, that is how it works here at MR.

----------

Don't listen to those who laugh at you. I think you bring up a good point. Historically, Apple has ignored the haters and just gone on doing what they do best. However, sometimes things catch on (remember "Antennagate"?) and the media blows stuff out of proportion. I don't think this will be nearly as big of a deal as Antennagate was, but I do think Apple will make some design changes. It's a beta after all, nothing's guaranteed.

Also:
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/12/jony-ive-put-apples-marketing-team-in-charge-of-ios-7-icon-design/

Things can and probably will change

that is why I personally made so much noise about all this bad visual design. not because I hate Apple, but because I strongly like Apple products above all their competition, and only want what I have come to expect over the years, which is the very best.

Oddly enough, most big media is not even touching on the idea that the app icons visual design is not liked by many, many people. It is mostly small blogs from UI types (and Mac Rumors) disliking the visual design...

----------

Not 1980's - late 1950's Euro modernism.

kinda similar.

darngooddesign
Jun 12, 2013, 04:12 PM

I can't help it that people refuse to see the obvious. On such a major visual overhaul there are bound to be some changes; personally I hope they get rid of the down arrow on Control Center.

decafjava
Jun 12, 2013, 04:25 PM
Yes, that is how it works here at MR.

----------

that is why I personally made so much noise about all this bad visual design. not because I hate Apple, but because I strongly like Apple products above all their competition, and only want what I have come to expect over the years, which is the very best.

Oddly enough, most big media is not even touching on the idea that the app icons visual design is not liked by many, many people. It is mostly small blogs from UI types (and Mac Rumors) disliking the visual design...

----------

kinda similar.
Nope I have rarely resorted to name calling outside of the politics section. :D I am surprised the marketing people were put in charge of the icons though.

Rogifan
Jun 12, 2013, 04:35 PM
Nope I have rarely resorted to name calling outside of the politics section. :D I am surprised the marketing people were put in charge of the icons though.

It was the print and web marketing team. Last time I checked Apple's website is very well designed. And I'm 99% positive the final app icons that ship will not be the original ones drawn up by marketing. Maybe not all of them will change but some will for sure. You can bet Ive and the human interface team are well aware of the dislike of the app icons.

fivedots
Jun 12, 2013, 04:36 PM

Do I win a prize for saying his claims were obvious yesterday? :D

32KFJ
Jun 12, 2013, 04:46 PM

nice one my friend :D

decafjava
Jun 12, 2013, 04:48 PM
It was the print and web marketing team. Last time I checked Apple's website is very well designed. And I'm 99% positive the final app icons that ship will not be the original ones drawn up by marketing. Maybe not all of them will change but some will for sure. You can bet Ive and the human interface team are well aware of the dislike of the app icons.

Ahh I see, yes I do agree the website is well designed. (I work as a web content manager and have seen many sites and worked with a lot of designers). I do like ios 7 and the direction Apple have taken - the icons are just one aspect. :)

waa1futs
Jun 12, 2013, 04:49 PM
OP can you PM me the upcoming winning lotto numbers as well? :D

Carlanga
Jun 12, 2013, 05:53 PM
I don't know TS, just look at all the people taking pics in Instagram and making things look like an old camera took the picture. Blame the fake hipster movement if it does stay the same as in the beta.

----------

Do I win a prize for saying his claims were obvious yesterday? :D

You win a cookie, but I already ate it. :)

Ayemerica
Jun 12, 2013, 06:49 PM
Breaking News: Change in a beta compared to a GM.

Mac Fly (film)
Jun 12, 2013, 07:17 PM
Breaking News: Change in a beta compared to a GM.

Significant icon changes never happened in an iOS beta. Not once. Only very very very minor icon changes during all previous iOS version beta periods. The OP was right, he's now being proved right. And he felt it very strongly because those icons were so ugly they didn't look like they were created at Apple.

It's OK to be wrong. You'll survive.

xcodeaddict
Jun 12, 2013, 07:21 PM
With all these geniuses on the forums, it's a wonder Apple can do anything without these posters being consulted - well done Apple, you managed it on your own

I'm waiting calmly for the tsunami of stupid, copy-cat rhetorical threads to die off, as they will in time. Just got to let the ranters work it out of their systems eh :)

"Hate" or love the new look, you'll all still be here when iOS 8, 9 and 10 are released, and you'll be moaning then too, then suddenly disappearing when the egg lands on your faces.

:p

fmalloy
Jun 12, 2013, 07:28 PM
Significant icon changes never happened in an iOS beta. Not once. Only very very very minor icon changes during all previous iOS version beta periods. The OP was right, he's now being proved right. And he felt it very strongly because those icons were so ugly they didn't look like they were created at Apple.

It's OK to be wrong. You'll survive.

Well said.

To all the smartalecks out there,(ie. "Of course there'll be changes, it's a BETA, duh!") have you ever once considered that Apple has never shown such an incomplete - not Beta but Alpha - product at WWDC before? Why would you show the entire public, Wall Street, and the press something so half-baked? They had to get a quick UI change done in time so they could show off the features. They couldn't miss WWDC at any cost. So, they focused on the features and left the UX very rough.

It is very un-Apple-like to share very incomplete and unpolished software, and that is what is not obvious and why it needs to be shared.

This forum is becoming nothing but two kinds of infantile people -

"Of COURSE it's going to change - it's a BETA", and

"It's NOT going to change, so get used to it. Isn't it cool"?

Please don't be one of them.

jive turkey
Jun 12, 2013, 08:05 PM
The best thing about this thread is that those who said Doug would be MIA when his prediction was proven as nonsense have completely disappeared from the discussion.

doug in albq
Jun 12, 2013, 08:16 PM
...and doug is still here (during lunch breaks and after work)

David G.
Jun 12, 2013, 08:19 PM

"Some say that he has some terrible plans involving the moon..."

Probably The Stig.

swingerofbirch
Jun 12, 2013, 08:28 PM
Apple has a way of sticking to bad decisions: hockey puck mouse and shipping Apple Maps.

xcodeaddict
Jun 12, 2013, 08:29 PM
Apple has a way of sticking to bad decisions: hockey puck mouse and shipping Apple Maps.

Okay - that's 2 I've counted, one of which Tim Cook said "Yes, we screwed up" about (Apple Maps)... carry on...

darngooddesign
Jun 12, 2013, 08:30 PM

And don't get me started on that whole iPhone fiasco. Touchscreen cellphone... no native apps. WHAT???? :D

xcodeaddict
Jun 12, 2013, 08:35 PM
And don't get me started on that whole iPhone fiasco. Touchscreen cellphone... no native apps. WHAT???? :D

Okay, I won't get you started :)

darngooddesign
Jun 12, 2013, 08:37 PM
okay, i won't get you started :)

:d

xcodeaddict
Jun 12, 2013, 09:00 PM
### BREAKING NEWS ###

Jony Ive has been reported to have hired my fellow Brit, to "refine" the UI, based on past experience:

http://static.tumblr.com/evuilns/9I9m7kl9b/the-apprentice-2009-sir-a-001.jpg

A revolutionary and subtle change to the current iOS 7 Beta 1 is soon expected:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3007/4563515285_97a176f82d_z.jpg

Nomadski
Jun 13, 2013, 09:20 AM
Control Center is definitely missing a Pranks shortcut. That would be amazing. :D

pedrofan
Jun 13, 2013, 09:33 AM

Keep dreaming...

doug in albq
Jun 13, 2013, 06:07 PM
Keep dreaming...

Are you saying there will not be any changes?

C DM
Jun 13, 2013, 06:14 PM
Well said.

To all the smartalecks out there,(ie. "Of course there'll be changes, it's a BETA, duh!") have you ever once considered that Apple has never shown such an incomplete - not Beta but Alpha - product at WWDC before? Why would you show the entire public, Wall Street, and the press something so half-baked? They had to get a quick UI change done in time so they could show off the features. They couldn't miss WWDC at any cost. So, they focused on the features and left the UX very rough.

It is very un-Apple-like to share very incomplete and unpolished software, and that is what is not obvious and why it needs to be shared.

This forum is becoming nothing but two kinds of infantile people -

"Of COURSE it's going to change - it's a BETA", and

"It's NOT going to change, so get used to it. Isn't it cool"?

Please don't be one of them.And at the same time this beta is pretty much unlike any other iOS beta before it--first major iOS redesign. So, in some sense, nothing from before would necessarily apply, or at least there's really no certainty that it would (or wouldn't) apply.

Shockwave78
Jun 13, 2013, 06:37 PM
Option to toggle between old icons and new is a must IMO

portishead
Jun 13, 2013, 06:38 PM

It's a beta man, get over it. It's a totally revamped design, that's what beta's are for. Maybe they didn't finish everything before WWDC release, but it is what it is. And it's pretty good I don't mind saying.

KenAFSPC
Jun 13, 2013, 06:41 PM
And at the same time this beta is pretty much unlike any other iOS beta before it--first major iOS redesign. So, in some sense, nothing from before would necessarily apply, or at least there's really no certainty that it would (or wouldn't) apply.
Evidence for significant change:

1. Macosrumors article
2. Member wishes

Evidence for minimal change:

1. History. For the past decade, Apple has made virtually no aesthetic changes to its software between beta and final. Apple has repeatedly ignored suggestions / criticisms of its interface during betas.

2. Apple devoted a section of their public web site to publicizing and promoting the aesthetic changes (http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/design/). As far as I know, Apple has never changed an interface after posting a software preview to its public web site.

What am I missing?

C DM
Jun 13, 2013, 07:12 PM
Evidence for significant change:

1. Macosrumors article
2. Member wishes

Evidence for minimal change:

1. History. For the past decade, Apple has made virtually no aesthetic changes to its software between beta and final. Apple has repeatedly ignored suggestions / criticisms of its interface during betas.

2. Apple devoted a section of their public web site to publicizing and promoting the aesthetic changes (http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/design/). As far as I know, Apple has never changed an interface after posting a software preview to its public web site.

What am I missing?At least that item 1 from "evidence for minimal change" wouldn't necessarily apply. The fact that no significant aesthetic changes haven't been made historically, doesn't mean that will apply in a case where there's a huge redesign of an OS as popular as iOS. This is the first time that is happening, so there's no way to really say that history would apply the same way to it as it did to other releases before.

As for item 1 in "evidence for significant change", it's not really just a MacRumors article, it comes from other sources as well, and mainly The Next Web, which has known inside sources and a more "serious" tech reporting credibility (for lack of a better phrase). That doesn't guarantee anything of course, but it does bring more support for it than just any random rumor article.

But, again, having said all of that, it would be fair to say that we can't simply say that there will or won't be actual fairly noticeable changes between now and the final version. We mainly just have to wait and see.

fmalloy
Jun 13, 2013, 07:16 PM
And at the same time this beta is pretty much unlike any other iOS beta before it--first major iOS redesign. So, in some sense, nothing from before would necessarily apply, or at least there's really no certainty that it would (or wouldn't) apply.

True, but if you look at the first new products (iPhone) or major OS updates (OS X) the UIs still looked like what was demoed at MacWorld/WWDC.

This clearly looks like it was rushed out the door half-done to show something for WWDC.

C DM
Jun 13, 2013, 07:20 PM
True, but if you look at the first new products (iPhone) or major OS updates (OS X) the UIs still looked like what was demoed at MacWorld/WWDC.

This clearly looks like it was rushed out the door half-done to show something for WWDC.And there's another rather big (missing) factor when it comes to it all: Steve Jobs. This is definitely the first major redesign/launch of a popular OS like iOS without Steve Jobs. And also without Scott Forstall as well, which might play a role too as far as how betas are done and what might be getting changed, when, and how.

So, again, hard to really say one way or another at this point. There's historical precedent that things don't change much, and there are other items that point to it being different enough from earlier releases that things might change more than before. Which one really would apply remains to be seen.