PDA

View Full Version : How are monocrome flat icons better

johndallas999
Jun 11, 2013, 02:25 PM
Everything is going high res these days with retina this and that but then they throw down this black and white/flat/monochrome OS and it's a step forward? Hmm...

unobtainium
Jun 11, 2013, 02:45 PM
I have to say that I agree, unfortunately. I was okay with the idea of a flat redesign (and I like the look of Windows Phone) but it just doesn't work as well on the iPhone. The highly textured look and rich details of Forstall's iOS looked better, imo. The "old" iOS had problems, mind you, and many of Ive's additions are very welcome, but I'm unfortunately not a fan of the flatness.

UmbraDiaboli
Jun 11, 2013, 02:54 PM
I have to say that I agree, unfortunately. I was okay with the idea of a flat redesign (and I like the look of Windows Phone) but it just doesn't work as well on the iPhone. The highly textured look and rich details of Forstall's iOS looked better, imo. The "old" iOS had problems, mind you, and many of Ive's additions are very welcome, but I'm unfortunately not a fan of the flatness.

Through organic evo/growth those "old" problems would have been addressed sooner or later with Forstall too. It is the design that is ruining the experience. That bright white with no contrast... :mad:

Amateur mistake by Apple, people don't like change. That's why websites such as Facebook, Twitter, etc implement their design changes very very slowly and as alternatives at the very beginning. People eventually get used to the change. However, this iOS7... this is a different issue. LOL.

lukejc1
Jun 11, 2013, 03:02 PM
That's why websites such as Facebook, Twitter, etc implement their design changes very very slowly and as alternatives at the very beginning. People eventually get used to the change. However, this iOS7... this is a different issue. LOL.

Facebook also came to my mind when i saw the reaction to iOS7. Whenever FB releases a new UI people go head over heels crazy and demand the old one back. (They forget that they also hated that one when it was released.)

I think this is no different. Is it perfect? No. But I think we'll all get used to it like we do everything else.

unobtainium
Jun 11, 2013, 03:41 PM
Through organic evo/growth those "old" problems would have been addressed sooner or later with Forstall too.

Agreed. Subtle changes could have made a big difference. For example, I was expecting them to bring the slightly flatter Mountain Lion dock to iOS, but I guess that won't happen now. They could also have increased the UI uniformity without making everything so flat and Fisher-Pricey.

I love new features like the Command Center, larger folders, camera and Siri improvements, etc. I even enjoy live wallpapers and the parallax effect. But all these improvements could have been implemented with more subtle overall UI tweaks.

LithePanther
Jun 11, 2013, 05:20 PM
They did a radical change because everyone was bored as **** with the 6 year old boring design it's had since the beginning.