PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 on the 4S

Sedrick
Jun 11, 2013, 02:54 PM
Can we get some reports of what's missing and how it runs?

Thanks!

baller1308
Jun 11, 2013, 03:01 PM
I haven't noticed anything missing and for me it runs fine, no major issues.

mwhities
Jun 11, 2013, 03:02 PM
I just installed it and the first thing I tested was the folders. I have swipable(?) pages inside folders. LOVE IT!

Exchange, Gmail and all my contacts are working well.

Post something you wanted tested and I'll try it.

EDIT:
So I'm an idiot. Tapatalk is working fine now. User error, that is all.

AppleMacNerd
Jun 11, 2013, 03:03 PM
Nothing missing, runs good no problems up to yet had it on a good 8 hours!

hovscorpion12
Jun 11, 2013, 03:04 PM
The only thing i see that is missing is the share function for twitter/Facebook in photos and Notification center. Thats about it.

mwhities
Jun 12, 2013, 06:15 AM
The only thing i see that is missing is the share function for twitter/Facebook in photos and Notification center. Thats about it.

It's working for myself.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/12/y4umuduj.jpg

KeanosMagicHat
Jun 12, 2013, 06:26 AM
Can we get some reports of what's missing and how it runs?

Thanks!

I posted a list of apps that don't work for me on a 4S but, OS performance wise, I'm pretty happy with it (for a 1st beta).

It's a little glitchy sometimes, but very usable nonetheless.

Better than I anticipated.

KBS756
Jun 12, 2013, 06:42 AM
It's working for myself.

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/12/y4umuduj.jpg)

Was wondering why people were saying this and about to post this when I noticed you already got it up. Share functions seem to still be there.

WeegieMac
Jun 12, 2013, 06:42 AM
There's some frame drops and stutters going into Safari and scrolling through Contacts in the Phone app isn't as smooth as elsewhere ... but it's beta 1, it WILL improve.

mwhities
Jun 12, 2013, 07:15 AM
Seems like the battery life is a little shorter. Of course, that could be the increase in playing with it. ;)

I haven't tested any games with it. I know CraigsList Pro is hanging then closes. I'll test more today.

Stalyn
Jun 12, 2013, 07:41 AM
Is lagging for me a bit.

mwhities
Jun 12, 2013, 07:43 AM
Was wondering why people were saying this and about to post this when I noticed you already got it up. Share functions seem to still be there.

Yeah, a little bit different to get there but, it's there. It allows one to select pic or pics, then the share options come up.

LoganT
Jun 12, 2013, 07:45 AM
It's a little sluggish, mainly in Safari and the Music app.

kmj2318
Jun 12, 2013, 07:46 AM
The album are is obstructed in the lock screen, it looks bad.

LoganT
Jun 12, 2013, 07:47 AM
The album are is obstructed in the lock screen, it looks bad.

I think that's intentional.

mwhities
Jun 12, 2013, 07:47 AM
I have noticed in opening and switching apps that the top bar "duplicates" it's self (time/wifi/strength indicator) then it clears up after a second.

I'll see if I can gran a screenshot of it.

twcbc
Jun 12, 2013, 07:49 AM
but it's beta 1, it WILL improve.

I'm not so sure about this. iPhone 3G struggled a lot on iOS4 beta and don't forget Apple Map beta. Apple never "fix" such issues as we expect.

bpc101
Jun 12, 2013, 07:52 AM
All running fine on my 4s, although battery seems to take a beating. Hoping this is a Beta 1 issue (data gathering) or maybe just a 2 year old device with a shortened battery life.

Missing Air Drop but knew that was a 5 only thing.

eBay app crashes when opening, not been through too many apps yet though.

rmwebs
Jun 12, 2013, 07:56 AM
I have noticed in opening and switching apps that the top bar "duplicates" it's self (time/wifi/strength indicator) then it clears up after a second.

I'll see if I can gran a screenshot of it.

If its any help, thats not an iPhone 4s issue as my iPhone 5 was doing that this morning. The same applies to the glitches with menus and sometimes in Safari.

This is going to cause hell for developers. Even something as simple as a popup message in Chrome had styling errors.

WeegieMac
Jun 12, 2013, 07:57 AM
I'm not so sure about this. iPhone 3G struggled a lot on iOS4 beta and don't forget Apple Map beta. Apple never "fix" such issues as we expect.

It's not system wide, it's app specific. Stop being paranoid.

It's a less texture heavy OS on a dual core phone with 512mb of RAM.

The 4S is not a single core 600Mhz with 128mb of RAM like the 3G. iOS 7 will run smooth throughout when it goes final.

kmj2318
Jun 12, 2013, 07:58 AM

Oh, i got the impression that it didn't all fit on the screen. In that case I wonder how it is on the 5.

Brdl04
Jun 12, 2013, 07:59 AM
There is some lag here or there. The Safari app is kind of jittery. I don't know if this is performance of the 4S or beta software. My guess its a little bit of both.

mwhities
Jun 12, 2013, 07:59 AM
If its any help, thats not an iPhone 4s issue as my iPhone 5 was doing that this morning. The same applies to the glitches with menus and sometimes in Safari.

This is going to cause hell for developers. Even something as simple as a popup message in Chrome had styling errors.

Ahh, very good. (I mean, well,you know.) Other than that and a few apps, it's running nicely. (Ebay isn't loading.)

rmwebs
Jun 12, 2013, 08:03 AM
Ahh, very good. (I mean, well,you know.) Other than that and a few apps, it's running nicely. (Ebay isn't loading.)

Yeah had a few problems with a few apps on iPhone 5. I'm a little pissed off with Apple. We submitted a new app a few weeks ago and it was rejected for "not using native UI colors and elements". We'd used Helvetica Neue Ultra Light, along with a pretty 'flat' design. So we changed it all back, resubmitted and it was accepted.

Low and behold I open the app on iOS 7 - its got the really ugly old blue-grey top bar and black tabbar, with no styling at all. Looks bloody awful.

bbfc
Jun 12, 2013, 08:32 AM
It runs ok on my 4S. Some UI elements are sluggish but for a first beta it's pretty good. The lock screen album art issue and the battery drain are the two biggest bugs for me.

hovscorpion12
Jun 14, 2013, 02:40 PM
It's working for myself.

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/12/y4umuduj.jpg)

Sorry my mistake, the pull down notification center in IOS 6 included Facebook and twitter abilities.

Tannerozzy
Jun 14, 2013, 02:48 PM
iOS 7 is absolutely destroying my 4S's battery life on.

I'm getting about 2 hours of use out of it before it's completely dead. Yesterday it died around noon from very little use. It seems to just eat resources while not in use. Maybe there's some backend GPS stuff going on that I'm not seeing or something.

Luckily, I can keep it plugged in and charging basically everywhere I am throughout the day, so it hasn't been too big of a deal. Just a bummer.

FreeState
Jun 14, 2013, 02:55 PM
heres what I found (I have reverted to iOS6 for the time being... can't live without Runkeeper working properly!)

Siri: no longer tells you the current humidity (brings you to the Wiki on what humidity is). If you ask whats the weather like in "Some other city" it brings up the forecast with no audio of what the current conditions are.

General:
Menu bars get duplicated on each other every once and a while.

General slowness compared to iOS6.

The screen does not redraw correctly and takes a second or two to fill in the sides on occasion.

Battery life is awful, had to charge every three hours minimum. (One more reason for long runs I could not live with it for now.)

Music will stop playing for a second if streaming it to AppleTV and you do anything on the iPhone (open an app, etc).

iPhone randomly restarts 5-6 times a day if not more.

Many apps are dirt slow now (Facebook for example takes for ever to open)

Jasoco
Jun 14, 2013, 02:57 PM
No it's not. On the taller iPhone 5 the controls and text are above the album art. But on the 4S it's smaller and the text et al ends up overlapping the album art and becomes impossible to read or see because of the removal of the background overlay.

Maybe someone can post a screenshot of both devices?

Jimmy James
Jun 14, 2013, 02:58 PM

The 3G was always pitifully slow. Adding features only highlighted this fact

Apple sourced their map data from a third party. They were never going to remap the world in a matter of months.

twcbc
Jun 17, 2013, 10:20 AM
The 3G was always pitifully slow. Adding features only highlighted this fact

I do not refer to "new features" iOS4 brings to 3G. Basic function like typing is actually fine on 3G period to iOS4. Many found typing in 3G lag a lot in iOS4 beta but Apple never "fix" such lag for 3G. Is typing on iPhone3G a heavy task that require 800Mhz CPU and 256MB memory to process?

Apple sourced their map data from a third party. They were never going to remap the world in a matter of months.
Not only map data, Apple never fix the POI problem from it's map app. Though many fanboies had claimed "it's beta, Apple will fix it on formal release". After one year, Apple map still far from usable outside USA.