PDA

View Full Version : Does Jonny Ive really understand interface design?

Wiesenlooser
Jun 11, 2013, 03:26 PM
Now hear me out. Mostly I like the visuals of iOS 7. It's much more modern and fresh looking than the current version. And there are some clever elements to it.

But I'm really talking about the small details that made iOS feel so good. To me iOS looked very dated lately but it always seemed very thought through in many ways.

From what I've seen so far there is a lot of confusing elements. Take the lock screen. It says slide to unlock and just beneath it is an arrow facing up.

The icons are probably the most criticized thing about iOS 7. I'm not talking about the plain ugliness of the safari icon. But about the whole concept of what an icon is and what it is supposed to do. To me it's about to give you necessary informations about which app it is on the very slightest glance.

Look at the photos icon. It's not ugly per se but how does it tell me it's about photos? And why is
It's color scheme so similar to Game Center. They don't even remotely share the same
Functionality.

The flatness of the icons is going to make them hard to see
On certain backgrounds. In general I feel like readability has been sacrificed for style. Helvetcia neue is stylish but hardly readable. Specially the calendar icon. Compare it to the current one.

There are a lot of other places where the system feels a bit unstructured and unorganized for the sheer sake of making it look stylish (notification center )

All in a I do like it but I am worried that the comfort feeling of iOS will be sacrificed a bit. I really hope the new language is just a foundation and there will be fine tuning. And please make the icons prettier some of them
Are horrendous.

Sister Owl
Jun 11, 2013, 04:21 PM
And a sunflower tells you it's about photos?:)

PrometheusGeek
Jun 11, 2013, 04:43 PM

Exactly. It does only because we got used to it. We'll get used to the color wheel too. By spring we'll all be looking back at iOS 6 in the same way we look back at 80s hair styles.

Michaelgtrusa
Jun 11, 2013, 07:51 PM
His first solo. Give him a break.

TC25
Jun 11, 2013, 07:54 PM
Does Jonny Ive really understand interface design?

Do you?

Sital
Jun 11, 2013, 08:07 PM

I'm gonna guess that he understands it better than pretty much everyone here.

macrumorschamp
Jun 11, 2013, 08:09 PM
All in a I do like it but I am worried that the comfort feeling of iOS will be sacrificed a bit. I really hope the new language is just a foundation and there will be fine tuning. And please make the icons prettier some of them
Are horrendous.

Just because Johnathon Ive understands hardware design, doesn't mean he understands interface design. iOS is beginning to feel crammed with crap despite the removal of interface elements left and right.

I think you hit the nail on the head. A lot of the icons are disjointed. Why is Game Center the only icon with gloss? Not flat at all. Newsstand is quite possibly the ugliest of all the icons. The icon design themselves feel as though these are prototype icons from the creation of icons in the history of icon design itself. Simple can be ugly also as clearly demonstrated here.

I basically feel as though the system has been redesigned by a Windows Independent Developer. You know what I'm talking about. The same developers who develop apps for iOS that developed apps for Windows so they are ugly. Think Windows 3.1.

As for the interface, it's all magic and flash. It seems like now that Steve is dead (please come back and haunt everyone at Apple to get it right), let's just cram all the jailbreak tweaks we can into the system in a flashy way to get people to stop jailbreaking. The springboard feels weird now. Before there was clearly a feeling of where you were in the system. Now, it's all a blur of layers and slides and movement.

That said, this update doesn't seem all that revolutionary to me. It just feels like a facelift with tweaks we had now as standard features.

I mean, the filters in the camera and photos app are the same filters that have been around forever. Why even add them? Add them just to add them? It's stupid. The filters kinda suck. I think I saw Sepia there. Why not add the same level of quality filters that exist in other apps that people download all the time. Otherwise, they will end up using them anyway for the filters. Get my point? Why add it just to add something? Square camera option? Why? Because people use Instagram, but they don't use it for square photos, they use it for the filters, film, social aspects, so on. It's not being done for a specific reason the way say Samsung's Flagship Android phone added camera features you don't find on an iPhone or any other phone. You see where I'm going with this? It's not innovation, it's boring and quite frankly a weak attempt.

The most common response I get from Android users is how they can do whatever they want without having to jailbreak in order to get features we can ONLY get by jailbreaking.

Why does the tasks app have a texture where all other apps don't? It's all just craziness slapped together. I think Steve must have been keeping everyone's cocaine habit in check.

Additionally, have you taken a look at the title/menu bars in the apps? Clutter everywhere. Text shoved up against each other for functions that should be replaced with icons. It's all a big jumbled mess. Like Ive had a whooooole bunch of ideas and wanted all of them implemented regardless of whether they worked well. It feels rushed and crammed, and hard to discern certain areas of each application due to the lack of interface elements which were removed to give it this new look. Altogether, highly disappointed. Even the older iOS betas were more cohesive. Steve knew what he was doing, Ive doesn't seem to.

jonnyb098
Jun 11, 2013, 08:17 PM
Exactly. It does only because we got used to it. We'll get used to the color wheel too. By spring we'll all be looking back at iOS 6 in the same way we look back at 80s hair styles.

Yes because the color pallets in ios 7 doesn't scream 80s tie die and fluorescence. :confused:

Rogifan
Jun 11, 2013, 08:49 PM
Yeah because Jony Ive designed the entire OS himself. Get a grip people. :rolleyes:

Crzyrio
Jun 11, 2013, 08:55 PM
Dont forget, what you see in beta 1 is exactly what the final version is going to be. They wont care about the other 4+ beta's :rolleyes:

doug in albq
Jun 11, 2013, 09:20 PM

I am going to say no. I was worried when they appointed him to this new position. He is a hardware guy, UI design is completely different.

My thinking is that his leadership in this new position is somewhat symbolic. How can you go from doing all the hardware only (and most likely working 60 hrs a week doing just that), to doing all the hardware AND being the head of iOS...it is too much work and the work is too different. (duh, I do not think he does it alone).

Ive has been Stretched too thin. An appropriate pun, seeing as ultra-thin, difficult to read fonts are now littered throughout the OS.

I honestly think Apple needs to hire someone else specifically as head of iOS.

Rogifan
Jun 11, 2013, 09:57 PM

I am going to say no. I was worried when they appointed him to this new position. He is a hardware guy, UI design is completely different.

My thinking is that his leadership in this new position is somewhat symbolic. How can you go from doing all the hardware only (and most likely working 60 hrs a week doing just that), to doing all the hardware AND being the head of iOS...it is too much work and the work is too different. (duh, I do not think he does it alone).

Ive has been Stretched too thin. An appropriate pun, seeing as ultra-thin, difficult to read fonts are now littered throughout the OS.

So have you downloaded a beta and used it? Because there is an option to increase the font size as well as an accessibility option that makes the text thicker/darker.

nStyle
Jun 11, 2013, 09:58 PM
Calendar and Notifications have been murdered. MURDERED.

WWDC2013
Jun 11, 2013, 10:01 PM
Give Jony Ive a break, let him retire... Lay the guy off!

Ram27
Jun 11, 2013, 10:04 PM
I feel bad for Jony.

I feel guilty not liking iOS 7.

But it's just so bad!

Are first beta versions usually higher quality or is this common?

iGuardian
Jun 11, 2013, 10:04 PM
Yeah because Jony Ive designed the entire OS himself. Get a grip people. :rolleyes:

He didn't, but he's the one that had to look at it at the end of the day and say "This is good, this is the direction we should be going."

He did not design the entire OS by hand. But the responsibility for the choices made, ultimately, lies with him.

Ram27
Jun 11, 2013, 10:07 PM
Additionally, have you taken a look at the title/menu bars in the apps? Clutter everywhere. Text shoved up against each other for functions that should be replaced with icons. It's all a big jumbled mess.

The back and done icons look really wrong.

And for some reason, in the music app when you view the tracklist of an album in the now playing view, there's a "done" button. That's....not the right word really .

Rogifan
Jun 11, 2013, 10:18 PM
He didn't, but he's the one that had to look at it at the end of the day and say "This is good, this is the direction we should be going."

He did not design the entire OS by hand. But the responsibility for the choices made, ultimately, lies with him.

They redesigned the entire OS in like 6 months. It's Ive's first major foray in to software design. I think we can cut Apple a little slack here. iOS 7 might not be perfect but it will get refined and improved upon. I suppose Apple could have waited until iOS 8 for the full redesign but then people would have complained about the UI being stale, Apple is doomed etc. I'm not judging iOS 7 until its installed on my phone and I get the opportunity to actually use it.

doug in albq
Jun 11, 2013, 10:41 PM
So have you downloaded a beta and used it? Because there is an option to increase the font size as well as an accessibility option that makes the text thicker/darker.

No. So I did not know about that thicker font thing, will have to see how that actually looks/works.

People, in general, from a readability point of view, will eventually grow tired of the INSERT SAN SERIF FONT NAME ultra light/thin fonts all over their mobile OS, I know I will. It is not a matter of getting used to it, ultra thin variants of san serif fonts have been around forever, and they have always lacked a bit of readability, especially when kerned so very tight together, which is also part of this new design theme all over the place, not just iOS. While flatter design for device OS's is fine, and will stick around, I think ultra thin and tightly kerned fonts are a revolving fad that will, once again, go out of style rather quickly.

Edit: did not notice you said it was in the accessibility area. That is not the same as an option, that is more like for the visually impaired. Therefore, I am guessing that it will not be that great.

daigohgoh
Jun 11, 2013, 10:41 PM
I like the new Safari Icon. It spells out minimalism.

In fact, I wouldn't mind a blue box with just an S.

Or, just an S and no background whatsoever. (or just the reverse, a blue box with nothing on it).:apple:

Rogifan
Jun 11, 2013, 10:56 PM
No. So I did not know about that thicker font thing, will have to see how that actually looks/works.

People, in general, from a readability point of view, will eventually grow tired of the INSERT SAN SERIF FONT NAME ultra light/thin fonts all over their mobile OS, I know I will. It is not a matter of getting used to it, ultra thin variants of san serif fonts have been around forever, and they have always lacked a bit of readability, especially when kerned so very tight together, which is also part of this new design theme all over the place, not just iOS. While flatter design for device OS's is fine, and will stick around, I think ultra thin and tightly kerned fonts are a revolving fad that will, once again, go out of style rather quickly.

Edit: did not notice you said it was in the accessibility area. That is not the same as an option, that is more like for the visually impaired. Therefore, I am guessing that it will not be that great.

I saw it in one of the developer session videos. I could tell the difference. Font was definitely bolder.

beyondthepale35
Jun 11, 2013, 11:01 PM
They redesigned the entire OS in like 6 months. It's Ive's first major foray in to software design. I think we can cut Apple a little slack here. iOS 7 might not be perfect but it will get refined and improved upon. I suppose Apple could have waited until iOS 8 for the full redesign but then people would have complained about the UI being stale, Apple is doomed etc. I'm not judging iOS 7 until its installed on my phone and I get the opportunity to actually use it.

Problem is that I don't think there's going to be a whole lot of change from beta to full release, if the past is any indication. Then you're going to have to wait another year for another major upgrade. That's a long time for Android and WP8 to vastly improve their offerings.

davidlw
Jun 11, 2013, 11:11 PM
Johnny did a awesome job imho. This new version will bring Apple back in the winners booth for a lot of people and sales will soar.

Rogifan
Jun 11, 2013, 11:12 PM
Problem is that I don't think there's going to be a whole lot of change from beta to full release, if the past is any indication. Then you're going to have to wait another year for another major upgrade. That's a long time for Android and WP8 to vastly improve their offerings.

So what was Apple supposed to do? Have another iOS 6 type release where they'd really fall behind? iOS 7 won't be perfect and might feel a bit rushed or unfinished but I don't think Apple could afford to wait another year. I still think once its released and people start using it opinions will change. Right now we're getting a lot of knee jerk reactions because it is so different.

Ayemerica
Jun 12, 2013, 12:44 AM
Lol. I'll bite.

People want change they get it. They bite the hand the feeds and say it wasn't really what we were expecting. Honestly this is the first step of many that Ive will be making into his career with iOS. Before this iOS didn't get polished over night or become the best OS by one single person. A lot of people want a myth to guide them to the ultimate experience that they can hang their name on. It just isn't how the world works. To me iOS 7 has added everything I wanted. Now it's time to continue that pace and bring inovation to the OS.

lewismayell
Jun 12, 2013, 12:57 AM
All he did was design it, he didn't actually give it the functions and stuff

g-7
Jun 12, 2013, 01:15 AM

Quite obviously, he does not.

Technarchy
Jun 12, 2013, 01:19 AM
Are first beta versions usually higher quality or is this common?

There is so much fail in this sentence.

bbfc
Jun 12, 2013, 02:15 AM
I can see this being quite a substantial beta test period. Certainly when compared to previous ones.

rmeadejr
Jun 12, 2013, 02:25 AM
I can see this being quite a substantial beta test period. Certainly when compared to previous ones.

last year if im not mistaken there where 8 betas.....i have a feeling there will be 10 for ios 7

F123D
Jun 12, 2013, 02:46 AM

Not quite. I think a couple 2nd graders helped with the icons. ;)

Jimrod
Jun 12, 2013, 02:47 AM

I totally agree with this, might explain the odd mish-mash of icon styles in iOS 7 (beta of course, Apple don't change often though!).

I'm in the same position in my company, UK Sales Manager to Marketing Manager to Brand Manager - didn't like the expensive agency sourced product design so took it over myself, head of RnD leaves so I take it over and now do everything from the packaging and manuals to the full technical design (loudspeakers just FYI), to brochures and ads.

A few months back I hired an experienced Marketing Manager and now everything is better, less stress, less rush, better product being produced. I tend to think Apple need to do the same, take some of the load off of one guy and spread it around a bit...

JaySoul
Jun 12, 2013, 04:11 AM
Most of iOS 7 is absolutely fine - yes, it's playing catch up but I'm betting it will function well.

However, I do hope the Betas progressively tighten things up and that Apple aren't afraid to change some issues substantially between now and launch.

Wiesenlooser
Jun 12, 2013, 04:18 AM
Again. I do think he definitely has an eye for visual aesthetics. I think the mavericks banner and the iOS WWDC banners were among the prettiest they have ever done.

And I do like the visual aesthetics of iOS 7 for most of the part. But what worries me is that a lot of visual "guidance" has been removed. The iOS 6 -while being antiquated - really was easy to the eye because it knew very well where to draw your eye.

iOS 7 while being prettier and looking a lot less "heavy" kind of looks cluttered and unorganized
to me thus making it look a less harmonic.

The icons themselves are a different topic. This can't also be explained with the short deadline they had. Most of them are just out of proportions. The head of the messages speaking bubble ist just way too big compared to the pointy part.

In general all the circled elements of the icons (app store , iTunes, clock, settings, safari,
Compass ) - they are too big and therefore give the icons a "trapped feeling". This is a small detail that can be changed in literally less then 5 minutes.

kdarling
Jun 12, 2013, 06:55 AM
Mish mash. Confusing. Inconsistent.

All the terms that are being used usually indicate a design by committee, and/or an inexperienced leader.

J. Ive said he believed in more internal cooperation. That's good, but they need someone with a lot more UI/UX experience (and more empathy with new/casual users) to make the final reviews and decisions.

Giving the benefit of the doubt, perhaps this was rushed, and it'll get fine tuned before final release. This is one time that Apple needs to listen to their users, that's for sure.

MonkeySee....
Jun 12, 2013, 06:58 AM
Do you?

haha greatness.

Design is all about tastes and iOS7 will appeal to the majority.

Well done Jonny :)

munakib
Jun 12, 2013, 07:31 AM
Like the rumors had it, the iOS team was falling behind and so they had to seek assistance from the OSX team and honestly it shows. I believe SJ would have not released iOS7 at this stage himself either he would have made sure everything was concrete and finished or he would have not shared it at all. Yes its Jony's first go at it and I am sure he knew exactly what he wanted but the current beta result is definitely not what he had planned for but due to time pressure had to released it. You guys have pointed out the inconsistencies, jony doesnt come around as the type who makes such mistakes especially in case of design - the only answer is, the iOS team was overwhelmed and didnt get the full time to implement all the design elements.

Now, will Jony update the rest of the UI elements throughout this Beta Phase, I doubt it, Apple doesnt normally go back to the drawing board cause it might make them look weak. That would be really unfortunate if they dont blend all these elements together, maybe we gotta wait till iOS8.

Motawa
Jun 12, 2013, 07:33 AM
Do you?

well he is not working for apple, so who cares if he does?

Wiesenlooser
Jun 12, 2013, 07:42 AM
Well ios7 was definitely rushed. 7 months for a whole new look is just almost impossible to pull of. That's why I hope the inconsitensy will be ironed out in the following months n

Kissaragi
Jun 12, 2013, 07:46 AM

This is what I think every time I read one of these silly threads.

johndallas999
Jun 12, 2013, 07:49 AM

Yikes if that's an understanding then Apple is in trouble. Those stock icons are bad, really bad. Aside from that which is easily fixable, the rest isn't horrid although I don't really care for all the black and white inside some of the apps like mail.

jclardy
Jun 12, 2013, 07:52 AM
So I am going to say yes, he does. There are some small things that are an issue at the moment, but really there is a fundamental shift in the way the device works. Looking at screenshots it doesn't look that great...but in actual use it feels so much better.

A lot of the change in iOS 7 won't be noticeable until 3rd party developers start using the new API's and designing apps for the platform. Old apps work fine, but they just don't quite feel as fluid - as if they were connected to the OS themselves.

Like I said though there are many little graphical issues at the moment, but that is why it is beta 1. Also I am hoping for some changes to the icons (Mainly Game Center, Camera and Settings.) Also I really dislike the new share button icon, but I doubt that will change.

Sital
Jun 12, 2013, 08:36 AM
Yikes if that's an understanding then Apple is in trouble.

I think Apple will be just fine.

iGuardian
Jun 12, 2013, 12:45 PM

You're right, it will get refined and I hope it becomes a lot more polished before the final version comes out to everyone.

While details may change, I personally feel that the general design language is confusing and harder to use. I've been running iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 since WWDC and I've noticed a few things:

There are a lot of menus that just disappear. So, in order to do a function, the user needs to do an extra tap just to bring the buttons to view.

For example, changing pages in iOS 6 Safari involved:
1. Tapping the "page change" icon.
2. Changing pages.

Now it involves:
1. Quickly scrolling down or tapping the URL bar to reveal the bottom bar of Safari, and the "page change" icon.
2. Tapping the icon.
3. Changing pages.

Now, this sounds like a small annoyance but I think it's revealing of the general missteps that have been made in the new UX.

Also, the constant white, similar icons, and thinness of text (and at times icon glyphs) can feel overwhelming at times, and makes finding the button you need more difficult.

General readability also suffers. Safari provides another great example of this. Now, tapping 'reader' often makes the article harder to read, due to the thin text and bright white background.

There are some good features in iOS 7. No, Apple is not 'doomed', and I'm sure iOS 7 will improve and iOS 8 will be better still. But the problems with iOS 7 do, I believe, go beyond 'childish icons'. There are elements of the new design language that I believe are simply not the right way to go.

Eso
Jun 12, 2013, 06:06 PM
but really there is a fundamental shift in the way the device works.

I don't think so. The visual style is completely different, but it's hardly a shift in how iOS functions. In terms of functionality, it's exactly the same (with the exception of multitasking) and the addition of control center. The basic concept is the same

pedrofan
Jun 12, 2013, 06:20 PM
iOS 7 is :confused:

Risco
Jun 12, 2013, 06:24 PM
I think they done a good job, but yes the icons are too bright and there is a bit too much bling / transparency. However this is what the beta's are for. It has already been mentioned that the icons will change, and so will also things such as themes and ability to tone down or bling up.

jclardy
Jun 13, 2013, 04:15 PM
I don't think so. The visual style is completely different, but it's hardly a shift in how iOS functions. In terms of functionality, it's exactly the same (with the exception of multitasking) and the addition of control center. The basic concept is the same

Functionality is the same, but the visual flow is now completely fluid (Or will be, once developers start using the new API's). Going from springboard into a folder into an app into the content is can all be one smooth motion, rather than a bunch of disjointed ones in previous iOS versions.

Also in terms of the app design guidelines it is now focused entirely on content, and app chrome takes a back seat.

LeoNobilis
Jun 13, 2013, 04:24 PM
Judging from what I've seen so far, I suppose, not terribly well.

TheRealCBONE
Jun 13, 2013, 08:05 PM
To answer the OP: Not as much as he thinks and not as much as everyone hoped. It could have been better. I think what was missing was someone that was willing to break it down and hurt some feelings by telling them that the design looks crap. I can't see Tim Cook one-sentencing someone back to the drawing board like Steve Jobs. They needed someone to say "No." more.

Rogifan
Jun 13, 2013, 08:18 PM
To answer the OP: Not as much as he thinks and not as much as everyone hoped. It could have been better. I think what was missing was someone that was willing to break it down and hurt some feelings by telling them that the design looks crap. I can't see Tim Cook one-sentencing someone back to the drawing board like Steve Jobs. They needed someone to say "No." more.

It's crap? That's your opinion. I thought Steve Jobs fake leather and green felt was crap. He wasn't a design god either you know.

TheRealCBONE
Jun 13, 2013, 11:37 PM
It's crap? That's your opinion. I thought Steve Jobs fake leather and green felt was crap. He wasn't a design god either you know.

My thinking that iOS 7 looks crap doesn't mean that I thought all prior efforts were awesome or anything. Previous examples of ugly design choices have no bearing on current ugly design choices.

futbalguy
Jun 14, 2013, 12:35 AM
They only promoted Ive a short while ago and look at how much they have changed. There will surely be more changes in a beta than we are used to. Someone said the beta was 3 months old. 3 months! Many of the things people are bitching about can easily be updated (icons). They will certainly change some of the interface as they spend more time with it. Its really stable given how much has changed. The cosmetic stuff is not a big deal.

haruhiko
Jun 14, 2013, 01:37 AM
You're right, it will get refined and I hope it becomes a lot more polished before the final version comes out to everyone.

While details may change, I personally feel that the general design language is confusing and harder to use. I've been running iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 since WWDC and I've noticed a few things:

There are a lot of menus that just disappear. So, in order to do a function, the user needs to do an extra tap just to bring the buttons to view.

For example, changing pages in iOS 6 Safari involved:
1. Tapping the "page change" icon.
2. Changing pages.

Now it involves:
1. Quickly scrolling down or tapping the URL bar to reveal the bottom bar of Safari, and the "page change" icon.
2. Tapping the icon.
3. Changing pages.

Now, this sounds like a small annoyance but I think it's revealing of the general missteps that have been made in the new UX.

Also, the constant white, similar icons, and thinness of text (and at times icon glyphs) can feel overwhelming at times, and makes finding the button you need more difficult.

General readability also suffers. Safari provides another great example of this. Now, tapping 'reader' often makes the article harder to read, due to the thin text and bright white background.

There are some good features in iOS 7. No, Apple is not 'doomed', and I'm sure iOS 7 will improve and iOS 8 will be better still. But the problems with iOS 7 do, I believe, go beyond 'childish icons'. There are elements of the new design language that I believe are simply not the right way to go.

Can't you just swipe from the edge and change pages?

Night Spring
Jun 14, 2013, 02:08 AM
Can't you just swipe from the edge and change pages?

Swiping from the edge left or right takes you to the previous or next page you were reading, if any. The problem is with moving between "tabs." Before, the icon to show the other "tabs" was always visible in the lower right corner. Now it slides out of view when you start reading a page. And to get it back, you have to tap a very specific part of the screen. This is inconsistent with previous behavior in other Apple iOS apps, such as iBooks, where tapping pretty much anywhere in the center of the screen brings the controls back up.

bushman4
Jun 14, 2013, 02:27 AM
iOS 7 will take many updates and tweaks, as did iOS 6 to get that polished feel. Hopefully in the end all will look better than now.

aluren
Jun 14, 2013, 02:47 AM
I think everything looks a lot more smoother than iOS 6, more sleek and stylish. It's a good first take. Some people make it seem like Apple screwed this up the way Microsoft screwed up the Xbox one.

johnlandino
Jun 14, 2013, 04:52 AM
Bring back forstall!

comatose81
Jun 14, 2013, 05:09 AM
My opinion after reading this thread is that people just like to complain. Maybe it's human nature?

JaySoul
Jun 14, 2013, 05:19 AM
This is a Year Zero design, so it will improve over time.

Oh, and it's also a Beta.

Paradoxally
Jun 14, 2013, 05:46 AM
Bring back forstall!

At least he could design better icons :D

bitsoda
Jun 14, 2013, 02:48 PM

As somebody who's used it and reverted back to iOS 6, I can tell you it's a step backward. I get that the iOS team was on a tight schedule, but Apple sets their own deadlines. If the product wasn't ready, they shouldn't have shown it at WWDC. Since when has Apple trotted out half-baked software or hardware into the world in such an unrefined state? Besides Ping, and MobileMe, all iPhone-related hardware/software has looked solid even during their beta phases. I hope Apple can right the iOS 7 ship before it's too late.

----------

I like the new Safari Icon. It spells out minimalism.

In fact, I wouldn't mind a blue box with just an S.

Or, just an S and no background whatsoever. (or just the reverse, a blue box with nothing on it).:apple:

There's nothing minimal about having dozens of little ticks around that blue circle in Safari. It looks cluttered.

alec6542
Jun 14, 2013, 03:26 PM
Although I do not like the new UI YET, I am positive it will grow on me. It's a fact of psychology that no one likes change. I used to proudly say I would never own anything but a flip phone, and would scoff at people with fancy phones like iPhones. When I got an iPhone for the first time I hated it. I hated my brand new truck when I traded in my old clunker. But eventually, like everything, it will grow on us and then and only then will we realize exactly how and why this change is for the better in every way. Ive has good taste; after all, this is the same guy who designed the MacBook Pro, so I have faith that He knows what He is doing.

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 14, 2013, 04:04 PM
The building blocks of the UI design are fine.
Its the execution. Not very polishes and in many ways.

Take Safari image posted earlier as an example.
If they would just put the old controls (in black or grey) on the transparent menu everything would be fine.

They thew the baby out with the bathwater.
They should have implemented the new UI concepts with iOS 1-6 style "hybrid" controls.
Its an issue of familiarity.

notrack
Jun 14, 2013, 05:15 PM
Well ios7 was definitely rushed. 7 months for a whole new look is just almost impossible to pull of. That's why I hope the inconsitensy will be ironed out in the following months n

Totally agree to that.

To be honest had hoped for something more "finished" regarding the look.

But...: Take a look under the hood of the UI concept. Those who have the wwdc app go and watch the interface video. That also gives me a clue why they are using Helvetica Neue.

One important part is the dynamic font concept which basically adjusts the font size and weight automatically from xs to xxxl. IOS now uses styles like in Pages or Word. To understand that, one has to know that fonts can have several weights,not only bold and reguar. But only a few have as many as Helvetica Neue. From ultra thin to extra bold.

Example: text in xs regular will display in a thinner weight than in xl regular. The user recognises it as the same weight and will have a much more harmonic impression. With that, also the layout automatically adjusts, like line height, spaces etc. All of such stuff will cumulate and contribute to an awesome looking Layout. Imho minimalistic styles need this kind of detail attention to not end up as boring looking bunch of text.

In this respect I believe that Jony has the skills to create something that looks and feels fantastic. But, screen stuff doesn't work the same like pysical products. It's a challenge.

My guess is also that the top most layer (icons) will be the last of that to finish.

I also deeply hope that they are working on their own (more elegant less feminine) font. MS did a knockoff of Helvetica and called it Arial many years ago. But they also developed new ones which are actually good looking. But creating such a complex font is a looooong process.

Bujin
Jun 14, 2013, 05:22 PM
I think that, although the color palette isn't my favorite, I love the interface design. The zoom in to folders, then zoom in to apps, reminds me of using Prezi.... It's fun. The multitasking and control center are terrific.

The OP raised the question of the up arrow on the lock screen: the arrows on top and bottom are indicators that swiping from these edges have a function, not that up is the unlock. (The arrow disappears if you disable the control center on the lock screen)

I can't imagine going back, even with a first beta.

smallnshort247
Jun 14, 2013, 07:49 PM
So many people cried about a stale iOS but when change occurs, people suddenly love everything about iOS 6. Sure, iOS 7 isn't perfect, but it's in Beta! Personally, I love iOS 7. It convinced me to switch back from my s4 to my iPhone 5. When it came down to it, I just wanted a less stale iOS with some added features, and so far, I think iOS delivered. The one thing I'm still trying to get used to is Safari.

Sedrick
Jun 14, 2013, 09:17 PM
Sad, but so far, iOS7 is the first iOS that makes me think that going Android wouldn't be that big of a change.

Ottoman1
Jun 14, 2013, 10:03 PM
If Johnny was ultimately responsible for the look of IOS 7 then he does not understand interface design.

I believe Apple will fix this before the release or they will be the butt of many jokes until they do.

Polarizing is not how you want your product described.

Form SHOULD follow function. In this case we have function taking a back seat to poor design being sold as minimalism.

At least the felt and wood were creative and they helped convey the purpose of the function they complimented.

A blank piece of paper isn't going to heighten a user experience. Be careful what you ask for. You might end up with a user experience which falls FLAT.

adildacoolset
Jun 15, 2013, 03:23 AM

OP seems to believe that he's better designer than Jony Ive himself.

----------

Form SHOULD follow function.

No. Form should BE function. That's what iOS 7 interface is. No unnecessary details or metaphors. Everything is just straight to the point, and looks brilliant as a result.

----------

Bring back forstall!

I think you forgot why he was taken out in the first place.

Skika
Jun 15, 2013, 04:28 AM
I really liked it. I installed it to play around with it for a bit. And going back to iOS6 feels really dated now.

My biggest complaint would be the speed of animations overall, would like them to be a bit faster.

Merkie
Jun 15, 2013, 05:08 AM
His first solo. Give him a break.

I don't think anyone who runs one of the most important departments of one of the world's biggest companies should be entitled to a "break". It's not high school.

Ottoman1
Jun 15, 2013, 05:47 AM
I agree form should be function in the case of these icons. Well said.

I disagree that these accomplish what they should. Beauty is one of their elusive goals.

Nishi100
Jun 15, 2013, 05:47 AM
I don't like how the user interface just melds into the content. For example, in iOS 6 the blue bars on the top and bottom of safari separated actions the user can take, from the content of the webpage. Because most websites didn't have that blue as their background, the interface of the app and content of the webpage were separate, allowing us to quickly identify buttons (that were part of the app). But, with iOS 7, the interface is white (or a very pale grey) and the problem is most websites have white / pale backgrounds, making it very confusing where the content is and where the UI is, especially since the icons are sometimes there and sometimes not.

Bujin
Jun 15, 2013, 11:52 AM
Sad, but so far, iOS7 is the first iOS that makes me think that going Android wouldn't be that big of a change.

I think we're getting closer to universal agreement on what the feature set of smartphones should be, and as a result Apple and Android are converging.

CallOfDuty
Jun 15, 2013, 12:40 PM
Now hear me out. Mostly I like the visuals of iOS 7. It's much more modern and fresh looking than the current version. And there are some clever elements to it.

But I'm really talking about the small details that made iOS feel so good. To me iOS looked very dated lately but it always seemed very thought through in many ways.

From what I've seen so far there is a lot of confusing elements. Take the lock screen. It says slide to unlock and just beneath it is an arrow facing up.

The icons are probably the most criticized thing about iOS 7. I'm not talking about the plain ugliness of the safari icon. But about the whole concept of what an icon is and what it is supposed to do. To me it's about to give you necessary informations about which app it is on the very slightest glance.

Look at the photos icon. It's not ugly per se but how does it tell me it's about photos? And why is
It's color scheme so similar to Game Center. They don't even remotely share the same
Functionality.

On certain backgrounds. In general I feel like readability has been sacrificed for style. Helvetcia neue is stylish but hardly readable. Specially the calendar icon. Compare it to the current one.

There are a lot of other places where the system feels a bit unstructured and unorganized for the sheer sake of making it look stylish (notification center )

Are horrendous.

To be honest, I didn't bother reading the chunk of text you wrote in detail.
Not that they aren't insightful or meaningless complains. I do agree they are issues Apple needs to resolve.

But one question for you, OP:

Do you understand interface design more than Ive?

I must admit, Ive is technically a newcomer when it comes to interface design as far as we know. He has been designing hardware for years and hardly touched on interface design. But im sure some elements and knowledge from designing hardware can sure be implemented on the software side.
And don't forget Jony Ive has an entire design team, not just himself. In the past, scotts forstall used to dominate the entire design of iOS.

Night Spring
Jun 15, 2013, 01:20 PM
Do you understand interface design more than Ive?

I must admit, Ive is technically a newcomer when it comes to interface design as far as we know. He has been designing hardware for years and hardly touched on interface design. But im sure some elements and knowledge from designing hardware can sure be implemented on the software side.
And don't forget Jony Ive has an entire design team, not just himself. In the past, scotts forstall used to dominate the entire design of iOS.

The goal of UI design is to make software usable for the end user. Hence, any user has the "credentials" to comment on if a UI works for them or not.

As for whether expertise in hardware design translates into ability to create UI designs, this is a grand experiment going on. I don't think we can assume that it will work. It might, it might not. And while Ive has teams helping him, he is the one who makes final decisions -- for instance, his team presents him with shaded UI bars vs white background, Ive goes, "let's go with white.” The users who are unhappy with the white background can certainly blame Ive.

Rogifan
Jun 15, 2013, 01:55 PM
The goal of UI design is to make software usable for the end user. Hence, any user has the "credentials" to comment on if a UI works for them or not.

As for whether expertise in hardware design translates into ability to create UI designs, this is a grand experiment going on. I don't think we can assume that it will work. It might, it might not. And while Ive has teams helping him, he is the one who makes final decisions -- for instance, his team presents him with shaded UI bars vs white background, Ive goes, "let's go with white.” The users who are unhappy with the white background can certainly blame Ive.

Apple has a lot of very talented software engineers and designers, many of whom have been with Apple for a long time. If Ive was taking them down a path they didn't want to go down I have a feeling those concerns would have been surfaced, either to Federighi or all the way up to Cook. We has numerous leaks and rumors about iOS 7 yet not one of them indicated any struggle or fight amongst Ive and the software guys. If it does exist I'm sure it will leak at some point. But I watched many of the developer videos on the WWDC app and the presenters seemed genuinely excited about what they were presenting. It didn't come across as forced at all. And they were interesting to watch because it gave more insight and context in to the decisions Apple made. I go back to the WWDC keynote where the unveiling of iOS 7 got a standing ovation. Seems to me the developers could see exciting possibilities with this new OS whereas the general public seems to be fixated on the aesthetic of the app icons.

sumsingwong
Jun 15, 2013, 02:08 PM
I own iOS and Android devices and I feel this is a nice change to a stale and aging iOS design. I expect bugs in the beta 1 so I'm not gonna complain. The overall design combines form and function nicely. Thank you, Apple, for giving us quick access to system toggles from anywhere. I'm digging the notification center as well. Today is an awesome addition which reminds me of Google Now that's available from anywhere in the UI. The new animations are welcome. I like how the overall theme adjust to the whatever background you apply. If it's too light, just change the wallpaper to a darker one and voila! Loving it so far. :D

Night Spring
Jun 15, 2013, 02:12 PM
Seems to me the developers could see exciting possibilities with this new OS whereas the general public seems to be fixated on the aesthetic of the app icons.

I can't speak for the general public, but for myself -- the new icons aren't to my taste, but I agree, they aren't important in the grand scheme of things. As long as I can identify and launch the app I want, the icon has done the job.

But it's the UI within apps that I find problematic -- UI controls on white backgrounds that are hard to differentiate from app content, too thin lines that makes it harder to see for older eyes, bright colors that make it harder to ignore the controls when they are not needed, etc, etc.

IMO, iOS 7 UI might look pretty, but they are a step backward in usability. That's what I'm objecting against, not the aesthetic, per se.

Grimmeh
Jun 15, 2013, 02:20 PM
I’m trying my best to accept the new design for what it is rather than a forced changed from what I’ve been accustomed too for so long.

Does anybody else feel it’s all so…bright? Too bright, too much white in the whitespace. Even though most of the web and UI in general is on the lighter side, this feels too strenuous on the eyes (I’ve yet to really try it, and I do suppose pre-iOS 7 is bright too). I honestly expected a darker change. I mean, wouldn’t it draw less power and at the same time be less strenuous? Perhaps it can shift in darkness according to ambient light? Just some falsely hopeful thoughts.

Icons (in general) are useful in their abstract sense; distinctness in color (and color combinations) and in major shape or symbol, the rest doesn’t matter. That being said, familiar color combinations, shapes, &c. ease transitions. I feel Apple should have kept basic color schemes and “maps” of icons the same and only simplified and abstracted their designs to be “flat.” too much change for too little payout; inefficient transition.

I can’t help but feel this incarnation of iOS design is aimed more at a young, tech-friendly, and willing audience (and hey, I’m right smack in the middle of that audience) but I’ll say that usually makes things more bleeding edge and experimental than practical, useful, and “it just works” like (which I expect and for a large part it’s why I gravitate toward Apple products).

I guess iOS 7 and beyond will evolve to adjust from their experiments over time, for now we bear and try.

(I just can’t shake how Google-esque iOS 7 feels, and it’s not graceful.)

Rogifan
Jun 15, 2013, 02:24 PM
Btw, Apple updated Ive's title on their executive page after WWDC. Don't think he'll be "fired" from his HI leadership anytime soon.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2mhdi5i.jpg http://i43.tinypic.com/2zg9po2.jpg

OneMike
Jun 15, 2013, 03:03 PM
I agree with the OP on slide to unlock. That is just weird with the up arrow right beneath.

xcodeaddict
Jun 15, 2013, 03:09 PM
I agree with the OP on slide to unlock. That is just weird with the up arrow right beneath.

How have you slid for all these years? From left to right, as indicated by the sheen that glows from left to right. After 6 years, I'd say it's pretty certain that most people know in which direction to slide their finger, and where - we don't need a demarcated rectangle with a sliding button any more - that's called legacy design, they just removed redundant visual noise to make the UI cleaner.

Let's face it - even if you don't work it out the first 30 seconds you use iOS 7, you're hardly going to forget such a simple swipe, once you've done it 1-2 times; it isn't the hardest action to remember, and your muscle memory will take care of it, even if your conscious memory doesn't.

OneMike
Jun 15, 2013, 03:38 PM
How have you slid for all these years? From left to right, as indicated by the sheen that glows from left to right. After 6 years, I'd say it's pretty certain that most people know in which direction to slide their finger, and where - we don't need a demarcated rectangle with a sliding button any more - that's called legacy design, they just removed redundant visual noise to make the UI cleaner.

Let's face it - even if you don't work it out the first 30 seconds you use iOS 7, you're hardly going to forget such a simple swipe, once you've done it 1-2 times; it isn't the hardest action to remember, and your muscle memory will take care of it, even if your conscious memory doesn't.

I'm not speaking for previous users. If you picked up an iPhone for the first time and and saw slide to unlock with an upward facing arrow beneath. I don't think its extreme to believe you need to slide up.

xcodeaddict
Jun 15, 2013, 03:42 PM
I'm not speaking for previous users. If you picked up an iPhone for the first time and and saw slide to unlock with an upward facing arrow beneath. I don't think its extreme to believe you need to slide up.

I kind of agree, having only seen the screenshots at some point last week, but once you see a live device, all ambiguity disappears; the text is highlighted in the direction you need to scroll - even IF you get it wrong once, you won't do so twice - this is a non-issue.

If the little arrow for control center were to be the unlock element, I think we can assume safely that Apple would have placed far more accentuation to it, drawing your eye to the fact that this is what it was for.

Rogifan
Jun 15, 2013, 03:45 PM

What part of BETA don't people get? iOS was completely redesigned in like 6 months. I'd say its a pretty easy fix to add an arrow next two or underneath slide to unlock. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if Apple is getting this kind of feedback. Since its a complete redesign I would assume the feedback is about a lot more than just but fixes.

xcodeaddict
Jun 15, 2013, 03:50 PM
What part of BETA don't people get? iOS was completely redesigned in like 6 months. I'd say its a pretty easy fix to add an arrow next two or underneath slide to unlock. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if Apple is getting this kind of feedback. Since its a complete redesign I would assume the feedback is about a lot more than just but fixes.

Bug fix: "bug fixes"

:p hehe

TC25
Jun 15, 2013, 03:57 PM
I bet Apple regrets assigning iOS7 to Ive. Why, all they had to do was engage all the MacRumors design expert wannabees as consultants. Of course, that would have upset all the parents whose basements would have emptied out, but it clearly would have been worth it.

bozzykid
Jun 15, 2013, 04:02 PM
Personally, I don't care what the icons look like. I mean they are all over the place in terms of design but that is easy to change.

My biggest issues are the Apple apps still all look and work completely different. There is very little visual consistency. It almost feels like different groups develop each app and they do not talk to each other during the whole dev process.

Also, the use of the skinny fonts is making it very hard distinguish different elements. When they are trying to use text all over the UI with the same weight and size, it is very difficult to explain to the user which elements do what.

I'm sure they will improve this over time but there is a lot of work left to do. I've only used it for a day but I don't feel like they improved usability at all (and probably made it worse) other than the control center.

OneMike
Jun 15, 2013, 04:38 PM

We could say "what part of BETA..." all day, and some people here actually do that.

The fact is. This is an iOS 7 forum and until the final is released. All we can talk about is the BETA. Current, not what will/may be.

Granted, I doubt apple is talking feedback from this forum. Without feedback though, issues regardless of significance can't be corrected.

Complaining and giving feedback are different.

xcodeaddict
Jun 15, 2013, 04:55 PM
The icons have complete rationale, and are based upon the iOS 7 grid system, which makes total, harmonious sense to me:

http://www.codersgrid.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/ios7-icon-grid-v3_1x.png

A great read:

http://www.creativebloq.com/apple/designers-need-know-ios7-6133221

musio
Jun 15, 2013, 04:56 PM
Not quite. I think a couple 2nd graders helped with the icons. ;)

Best quote in the thread

DavidMarks
Jun 15, 2013, 08:50 PM
Nice retouch from Dribble:
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=417799&stc=1&d=1371347388

dhy8386
Jun 15, 2013, 10:23 PM
Those look nice...

My two cents on the design - having used the OS for a week. I think its gorgeous and when its finished in a few dot releases, its going to blow away the older designs.

IMHO, you have to start with the highest level of design change and that is this concept of layers. It is truly unique and I think creates a level of engagement that is very strong. It all starts with the lockscreen and each action is a beautiful animated later. The swipe down the swipe up and the unlock screen (which is think is fantastic btw). When you are navigating the OS, the way those same layers pop in and out, the way apps open and close, the way multi tasking flys in and out (and even when in muti tasking, they way the CC and NC swipe over top), and the way folders animate is remarkably simple and beautiful. Forget some of the stutters and slow animations - thats optimization that will occur as the OS gets closer to final, and especially when a bunch of debug code is removed. I dont ever remember Apple releasing an OS with poor animations yet many of the Betas had these issues.

From there, the emphasis on the content is obvious. Design wise, many of the apps are trying to make the navigation a background element with the content front and center. Again, I think this is the type of design people want today. Content is king. I agree with most criticisms about inconsistent icons, some type faces that need to be better defined, etc. But thats easy to fix and likely it will be with feedback. But the more important concept of what the design is trying to achieve is present and I love it. I love the new "spotlight", i love the changes to mail to make the content more accessible, I love safari now and especially the bookmarks button with the three content-focused tabs. Even though its buggy, I love the new Today tab in NC. Eventually will hold all my near term info in one glanceable sheet.

Many of the other features as well serve to enhance both these concepts above.

This is what JI designed and fundamentally I fully agree with his design principles. Some of the eye candy to supplement and portray these principles needs to improve but again, its an easy fix if Apple decides to change it. I am thoroughly enjoying iOS7 and even installed it on my every day phone.

Black Magic
Jun 15, 2013, 10:33 PM
I didn't read through the entire thread so I apologize if this has been said already.

The lock screen is not really that confusing after you understand what they are trying to do. There are 2 arrows on the lock screen.

1. At the bottom and that one is telling you to bring up control center.
2. At the top and that one is telling you to bring down notification center.

The slide to unlock still has the glowing light going from left to right to guide you.

Is this confusing? Maybe. It's still beta so if there is a better way, Im sure they will figure it out.

xcodeaddict
Jun 15, 2013, 10:33 PM
Best quote in the thread

There's some very talented second graders in the world; to assume that one's age dictates a level of skill and intelligence, is the lack of both, in itself. Have you never witnessed child prodigies or app designers who are 12-13 years old? It seems that you think that people can only design better as they age; this is a silly assumption; The attempted derision of Apple's design concept seems to have back-fired.

Re-title suggestion: "Do *I* really understand interface design?"

A useful and intelligent article:

http://www.imore.com/ios-7-most-skeuomorphic-most-liberating-version-ever-shipped-so-please-shut

FelixDerKater
Jun 16, 2013, 01:15 AM
Interface? Yes.
Icons? I think this is what is getting people hung up. They will improve with time, but icons are far from the most important thing in interface design.

AQUADock
Jun 16, 2013, 01:46 AM
Interface? Yes.
Icons? I think this is what is getting people hung up. They will improve with time, but icons are far from the most important thing in interface design.

It is for first impressions. When you use iOS one of the first things you see are the icons, if they are ugly it will leave a lasting impression on people.

Walter White
Jun 16, 2013, 01:50 AM

It's a design usability 101 FAIL.

fortheus
Jun 18, 2013, 12:49 AM

The entire OS is not a 6 months work. It can goes as far as 2 years ago.

Source: WWDC developer videos (I forgot which section)

byke
Oct 13, 2013, 05:22 AM
We need a Jonny thread back in the top list since so many apple employees (past and present) are being mentioned.

sassenach74
Oct 13, 2013, 06:58 AM
We need a Jonny thread back in the top list since so many apple employees (past and present) are being mentioned.

No we don't.

ZipZap
Oct 13, 2013, 09:00 AM

Functionality.

Are horrendous.

All signs indicate that he knows nothing about design and is likely color blind.

stevod
Oct 13, 2013, 10:58 AM
For increasingly complex devices, I think his drive for simplicity in all areas is refreshing. It feels like the OS is starting the match the device itself now IMHO.

S

Capex
Oct 13, 2013, 12:10 PM
My problem is that I want to tap buttons, not words.

kappaknight
Oct 13, 2013, 12:14 PM

You must have one helluva time navigating the web; considering most of the links are hyper-text.

TheRainKing
Oct 13, 2013, 12:22 PM

People take pictures of flowers. Nobody takes pictures of weird colour wheels.

Skika
Oct 13, 2013, 12:27 PM

Who says the photos app icon has to be something people take pictures off:confused:

So it could be a baby and it would make perfect sense by that standard?

Nevaborn
Oct 13, 2013, 12:55 PM

Just look at it as a multicoloured flower

E2EK1EL
Oct 13, 2013, 01:12 PM
No

You can't get a home builder to do interior design, their perspective will always be a little or way off.

Tim Cook is giving Jony Ives and Craig Federighi too much freedom, all three of them are out of noggin lately.

There's only two ways to visually design a OS with a "Flat" look and unfortunately iOS 7 doesn't land on A or B.

A ) Super flat non-gradient design must be a two colour scheme, such as Windows Phone 7 & 8. Unfortunately it's a waste of a high resolution screen and that explains how the Lumia 900 got away with their mid range specs during their launch.

B ) Flat design with gradients that are very subtle with colour change, 3D F/X with minor shadowing and drop shadows, they must be constant across the board. Perfect example would be Skype, eBay, Google and Facebook mobile which had achieved this design aspect properly.

Honestly, iOS 7 looks like a page ripped out of Dora's colouring book, My Little Pony and a essentially a Teletubby phone. Its humanly impossible to have two neon colours that are in a gradient and sitting on a white background to look good. You can't even place bright yellow on white back ground.

An eye for design is something you're born with, enhanced when you take a design course and fully brought to life when you're in the working field

PS:
The Apple Store Icon is Apple's "best" ver so far, it's a "little" better than stock apps.

Jynto
Oct 13, 2013, 05:36 PM
Dont forget, what you see in beta 1 is exactly what the final version is going to be. They wont care about the other 4+ beta's :rolleyes:

Greetings from the future. You were right. The golden master of iOS 7 felt a lot more finished and had a much better set of icons. And most of the interface complaints after that were resolved in 7.1. However, by travelling back in time to tell you this, I fear I have inadvertently created a timeline where iOS 7 stayed exactly the same as it was in the first beta. Whoops.

3lite
Oct 13, 2013, 05:45 PM
Nice retouch from Dribble:
Image (http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=417799&stc=1&d=1371347388)

Is that a JB?

Jynto
Oct 13, 2013, 05:52 PM
All signs indicate that he knows nothing about design and is likely color blind.

Actually, colourblindness makes iOS 7 look better, not worse. I showed a screenshot of it to my colourblind father, and he quite liked it. I then looked at the home screen myself with a red/green colourblindness simulator, and the look is significantly improved from the mess of colours it had before. So tell me who is colourblind, the users or the designers?

http://i.imgur.com/Z0WPOVb.png

SusanK
Oct 13, 2013, 06:01 PM
Definitely better

Baytriple
Oct 13, 2013, 06:11 PM

That's it. I had not put into words but that's my feelings too.

C DM
Oct 13, 2013, 08:48 PM
You must have one helluva time navigating the web; considering most of the links are hyper-text.The difference is web is content and not an OS/UI which are completely different things. Also most things for the web were designed before touch interfaces and before mobile interfaces, so using that as an example of how things should be especially for touch interfaces on smaller mobile devices is simply not a good idea at best.

j4zb4
Oct 13, 2013, 09:14 PM
Who says the photos app icon has to be something people take pictures off:confused:

So it could be a baby and it would make perfect sense by that standard?

Or food... Considering that's the most clicks item... Hehe

Capex
Oct 13, 2013, 09:22 PM
You must have one helluva time navigating the web; considering most of the links are hyper-text.

Haha, you've got a point there. However, as far as browsing iOS, I've been so used to using buttons. It just became natural to me. Tapping text on the web is its own thing.

byke
Oct 16, 2013, 04:31 AM

Exactly.

BvizioN
Oct 16, 2013, 04:53 AM

And you know that how?
People take photos of weird stuff everyday.

BvizioN
Oct 16, 2013, 04:58 AM

You would love this app

zbarvian
Oct 16, 2013, 06:44 AM
I think my problem with Apple's implementation of flat design (and flat design in general), is that there's no tactility, no small satisfaction or reward for using the UI. It makes the icons and OS looks way less warm/friendly, and almost unnatural. It lost its human touch.

I wish they would've dialed back some of the unwanted flourishes, but reengineered the apps more. Third party apps often have a simpler, better design than Apple's stock apps which are becoming more and more cluttered with toggles, buttons, and options.

FurryMurry
Oct 16, 2013, 07:49 AM
I really like the new design. Not all icons are that great, but overall an improvement from ios6. The main problem for me is that the ui is not consistent throughout the os.

For example:
When I want to create a new text message, the icon (which is not a + sign, like many others in the os) is above right. When I want to create a new email, the icon (also not a + sign) is below on the right. To create a new album/folder in the gallery (pictures) app, the icon (a + sign) is above left. A new appointement in the calendar app is above right and this time also a + sign.

I just hope it gets more a little more consistent in the future.

cmichaelb
Oct 16, 2013, 09:44 AM

LOL I couldn't stand the look of iOS 7 and seriously considered jumping to an HTC One, but after a few days, you get used it and it makes iOS 6 look SO dated. You are spot on.

It does help, it's subtle, but works. You could try the turning on Dynamic Type as well for apps that support that feature.

Settings>General>Text Size

I understand why it is under Accessibility, but I could see a case being made for lumping all text related options under 'Text Size'.

----------

Actually, colourblindness makes iOS 7 look better, not worse. I showed a screenshot of it to my colourblind father, and he quite liked it. I then looked at the home screen myself with a red/green colourblindness simulator, and the look is significantly improved from the mess of colours it had before. So tell me who is colourblind, the users or the designers?

Image (http://i.imgur.com/Z0WPOVb.png)

THAT would go great with a gold iPhone....

----------

And you know that how?
People take photos of weird stuff everyday.

Yep, no one takes pics of a color wheel...

http://www.realcolorwheel.com/wholesale.htg/6x6RCW32X32FINALSCROLLPORTRAIT.png

rtomyj
Oct 16, 2013, 03:19 PM

I don't get this. Don't people know they can change the thinness of the font? People want change, they complain when it happens. People want choice, they complain when it happens. Sigh. Bad luck Apple.

lookatchu
Oct 16, 2013, 04:04 PM
I don't get this. Don't people know they can change the thinness of the font? People want change, they complain when it happens. People want choice, they complain when it happens. Sigh. Bad luck Apple.

And don't you know that system-wide bolding affects fonts in certain apps that some people might not want to affect, i.e Messages and other apps, where it looks downright bad?

Carlanga
Oct 16, 2013, 04:36 PM
He thinks he does, he is just meh on it.

SusanK
Oct 16, 2013, 07:30 PM
He thinks he does, he is just meh on it.

Cook think Ive does. That's the kicker!

jonnyb
Oct 17, 2013, 07:47 AM
Just because Johnathon Ive...

Jonathan. You've filled his name with unnecessary clutter.

ERIC273
Oct 17, 2013, 07:56 AM
Does our speculation on Johnny Ive's understanding of interface design really matter?

rtomyj
Oct 17, 2013, 07:59 AM
And don't you know that system-wide bolding affects fonts in certain apps that some people might not want to affect, i.e Messages and other apps, where it looks downright bad?

Don't you know, "downright bad" is subject. The entitlement and unaware of others in this world is appalling...

thelookingglass
Oct 17, 2013, 10:06 AM
I really like the new design. Not all icons are that great, but overall an improvement from ios6. The main problem for me is that the ui is not consistent throughout the os.

For example:
When I want to create a new text message, the icon (which is not a + sign, like many others in the os) is above right. When I want to create a new email, the icon (also not a + sign) is below on the right. To create a new album/folder in the gallery (pictures) app, the icon (a + sign) is above left. A new appointement in the calendar app is above right and this time also a + sign.

I just hope it gets more a little more consistent in the future.

Sometimes consistency is less important than maintaining continuity between versions. A lot of people are quite accustomed to the icons for new messages in Messages and Mail. I suppose the counter argument can then be made as to why they changed other things like the share button in Safari. But I think on balance, the compose button in Messages and Mail is so critical and used so often each day that it simply didn't make sense to change it.

In addition (no pun intended), the + sign connotes adding something. You don't add a new message or email, you compose one. As opposed to albums in a playlist or appointments in a calendar where contextually the + would make more sense.

P1otr
Oct 17, 2013, 11:08 AM
Oh no, he DOES NOT. Take a look at this new s*** from Jony :

http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/16/redesigned-iphoto-for-ios-icon-appears-indicates-likely-makeover-next-week/

byke
Oct 17, 2013, 02:06 PM

http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/16/redesigned-iphoto-for-ios-icon-appears-indicates-likely-makeover-next-week/

Yuck.
Jonnys losing it.

shnn2011
Oct 17, 2013, 02:10 PM
He has lied time and time again. How is the GT650M the most powerful graphics processor on the market. Has it ever even been. He is simply putting on a show and has been getting by on other peoples success.

pickaxe
Oct 17, 2013, 02:24 PM

I have no problem criticising iOS 7 to hell and back. That said, these icons are SIGNIFICANTLY better than every stock iOS 7 icon. They're properly minimal, use metaphors that make sense and are self-explanatory and best of all, were clearly designed by, you know, professionals.

I could do without the yellow part of GarageBand's gradient, though.

KALLT
Oct 17, 2013, 02:36 PM
I have no problem criticising iOS 7 to hell and back. That said, these icons are SIGNIFICANTLY better than every stock iOS 7 icon. They're properly minimal, use metaphors that make sense and are self-explanatory and best of all, were clearly designed by, you know, professionals.

I could do without the yellow part of GarageBand's gradient, though.

I just think they look cheesy. If I didn't know better, I would have said that such icons can be created very easily with Photoshop. One layer with the gradient tool, the other with a simple, semi-transparent overlaying image. Compared to their artistic predecessors, they are nothing like it. As you said yourself, they look different from the other icons which makes iOS 7 even less consistent than it already is.

KALLT
Oct 17, 2013, 03:15 PM
I think a lot of people don't appreciate the importance of icons enough. Icons are the apps' faces, their metaphor. We identify apps with their icons and we are drawn to them when they are good. It goes beyond the home screen, they are everywhere on iOS: notifications, settings, the App Store and the app switcher. For that reason, icons should ideally meet two criteria: distinctiveness and descriptiveness.

They should be distinctive enough to make app identification as easy as possible. When I receive a notification, I immediately recognise and respond to the icon. On the home screen, my brain memorises the location of apps on the basis of their icon. You can notice the difference when you relocate an app. You get used to the new location much easier if it's a distinctive icon than if it's a generic one, like a folder. Eventually you get used to a new position, but it happens much quicker with a unique icon. That's the human brain.

Icons should also be descriptive. When I am browsing the App Store, then the icon can often tell a lot about the app. Not just about what it does, but perhaps also whether it is well-designed or not. For new users or users who barely use their devices, descriptive icons can be very helpful. An icon depicting a calendar or envelope can hardly be misunderstood. An icon with coloured bubbles is meaningless (Game Centre).

My problem with the flat style of iOS 7 is that icons are less distinctive and often also less descriptive, or not descriptive at all. Many icons now have two-colour gradients, often the same colours, and a simple, white image. They may look good, but they are less distinctive than their predecessors. Many of them are also not descriptive (anymore). That may be less of a problem with Apple's apps, but third-party developers are following the lead, as users start to experience a certain aversion for everything that is not flat. We end up with lots of simplistic icons and while it may fit some people's tastes, they are less functional than they used to be. For me, that is a step backwards, and even worse, an unnecessary one.

DomC
Oct 17, 2013, 03:53 PM
I really want to hear Ives come out and say he had nothing to do with the Newsstand icon or interface. What a terrible design for both. When I opened the app on the iPad I really thought it didn't load correctly with just the graduated bars showing. I'd love to hear the grand philosophy of how such a crappy look is effective design. Both the icon and the app itself look like they were designed by an intern that then returned for their sophomore year of design school.
And now that leaving a Newsstand publication puts you back into the app instead of the Home screen, I get a double whammy of fugly. Oh and thanks for the type at the bottom left saying "Newsstand", that's such an effective addition.
Perhaps Ives had nothing to do with the exact implementations, but they were approved under his design watch and that says something.

doug in albq
Oct 17, 2013, 08:35 PM

You do not get it because your sense of timing is off. I made that post before Ive/Apple changed Helvetia Neue Ultra Light as the font (maybe because of listening to designer-types like myself) to Helvetica Neue Light...which is much nicer than ultra light with small UI fonts

Knowledge is power...get some power.

----------

True that.

rtomyj
Oct 17, 2013, 10:29 PM
You do not get it because your sense of timing is off. I made that post before Ive/Apple changed Helvetia Neue Ultra Light as the font (maybe because of listening to designer-types like myself) to Helvetica Neue Light...which is much nicer than ultra light with small UI fonts

Knowledge is power...get some power.

----------

True that.

Wait so be knowledgable in getting the time of a post, or in design cause you kinda contradict yourself.

You agree that bolding makes unwanted apps' font bold but doing it the opossite way would be counter intuitive. "Turn on bold font? Oh it only turns it in for the homescreen, this sucks." Would be the general response. But a designer would've have known this, right? I mean consistency is what good design is. The epitome if you will. I'm guessing you haven't developed an OS or an app and are taking design classes, as such flaunting the title. Please proceed to do some fieldwork, bud. ;-)

(I'm a programmer, and just like you, flaunting it and saying knowledge is powerful is apperently the good thing to do).

Masquerade
Oct 18, 2013, 05:04 AM
the sunflower goes and opens its petals for light, as an aperture... also looks like one..

BvizioN
Oct 18, 2013, 05:48 AM
the sunflower goes and opens its petals for light, as an aperture... also looks like one..

The new Photos icon does give the apperture impresion better then the sunflower. Not that I like it, but just saying...

matrix07
Oct 18, 2013, 06:26 AM

Very very smart. This explanation alone make me like the icon 10 times more. :p

Now just get rid of all the white background in the Photo app, will ya Jony?

Masquerade
Oct 18, 2013, 06:55 AM
Very very smart. This explanation alone make me like the icon 10 times more. :p

Now just get rid of all the white background in the Photo app, will ya Jony?

Smart¿.. Ultrasmart you mean, i just noticed it after seen iphone 5c tv advert and i owned an iphone in 2008 :)

Tamagotchi
Oct 18, 2013, 12:46 PM
My question is: Why do we keep calling UI when it's more of a theme? A hideous theme - there are better themes on Cydia. UI is the same as on iOS6.

oplix
Oct 18, 2013, 12:50 PM
f

byke
Oct 18, 2013, 01:46 PM
I wonder how long Apple will keep Jonny as the face of Apple design?
Maybe the value of stock has to go down some more first.

Gutwrench
Oct 19, 2013, 06:45 AM
Does Johny really understand interface design? Probably exponentially better than anyone here as well as he probably better understands the management of pulling the parts together to roll out such a change.

I'm guessing Johny might struggle in pulling off some of our jobs but doubt there's anyone in this community who could handle his position.

minimo3
Oct 19, 2013, 07:39 AM
Going from ios6 to ios7 is like going from windows 7 to windows 8 - flat design, thin fonts, colorful icons, minimalist.

And we all know how much everyone loves windows 8 :rolleyes:

Nevaborn
Oct 19, 2013, 10:08 AM
Going from ios6 to ios7 is like going from windows 7 to windows 8 - flat design, thin fonts, colorful icons, minimalist.

iOS 7 is nothing like Windows 8. Windows as always been flat other than some poor glass bar appearance implementation since Vista. iOS 7 has many layers and textures, some work well and some need refinement but does not resemble the basic look of Windows.

Font size again have little resemblance, Apples is again more stylised and though thin looks nice and perfectly eligible if you can read.

Windows has a very basic colour pallet, iOS 7 uses many colours often fading patterns and designs giving colourful and eye catching designs.

Minimalist your argument falls flattest on if you'll forgive the pun. Windows is very complicated with users having to access a lot of windows and type key words to find the simplest of functions.

The overall problem with your argument is taking a ill conceived, un-reliable and damn right impractical desktop OS that despite its large tile appearance was never designed to be used by a mobile or touch screen device and comparing it to the market leading mobile OS for usability and simplicity. Something Android owners often use to ridicule iOS users but the ability to actually use a device is very important I would say.

DomC
Oct 19, 2013, 11:29 AM
Does Johny really understand interface design? Probably exponentially better than anyone here ....

I hope these are not part of your proof.
Mrs. Greenley would be happy to know that the clip art she found for the church newsletter is being used by Apple too!
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/jweb34/Forums/FuglyIcons_zpsecffc9d0.jpeg

Nevaborn
Oct 19, 2013, 12:13 PM
Mrs. Greenley would be happy to know that the clip art she found for the church newsletter is being used by Apple too!
Image (http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/jweb34/Forums/FuglyIcons_zpsecffc9d0.jpeg)

what is your point ?

I think they personally look really nice like most of the new iOS 7 icons. the colours especially are gorgeous.

C DM
Oct 19, 2013, 05:59 PM
Does Johny really understand interface design? Probably exponentially better than anyone here as well as he probably better understands the management of pulling the parts together to roll out such a change.

I'm guessing Johny might struggle in pulling off some of our jobs but doubt there's anyone in this community who could handle his position.Seems like the marketing department was able to handle a good part of the job.

ScottishCaptain
Oct 19, 2013, 06:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge's_law_of_headlines

-SC

Djay1
Oct 19, 2013, 07:34 PM
Image (http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/jweb34/Forums/FuglyIcons_zpsecffc9d0.jpeg)

I love this post! We'll grow past this "minimalism is cool" fad eventually. ;)

Drunken Master
Oct 19, 2013, 09:27 PM
I think a lot of people don't appreciate the importance of icons enough. Icons are the apps' faces, their metaphor. We identify apps with their icons and we are drawn to them when they are good. It goes beyond the home screen, they are everywhere on iOS: notifications, settings, the App Store and the app switcher. For that reason, icons should ideally meet two criteria: distinctiveness and descriptiveness.

They should be distinctive enough to make app identification as easy as possible. When I receive a notification, I immediately recognise and respond to the icon. On the home screen, my brain memorises the location of apps on the basis of their icon. You can notice the difference when you relocate an app. You get used to the new location much easier if it's a distinctive icon than if it's a generic one, like a folder. Eventually you get used to a new position, but it happens much quicker with a unique icon. That's the human brain.

Icons should also be descriptive. When I am browsing the App Store, then the icon can often tell a lot about the app. Not just about what it does, but perhaps also whether it is well-designed or not. For new users or users who barely use their devices, descriptive icons can be very helpful. An icon depicting a calendar or envelope can hardly be misunderstood. An icon with coloured bubbles is meaningless (Game Centre).

My problem with the flat style of iOS 7 is that icons are less distinctive and often also less descriptive, or not descriptive at all. Many icons now have two-colour gradients, often the same colours, and a simple, white image. They may look good, but they are less distinctive than their predecessors. Many of them are also not descriptive (anymore). That may be less of a problem with Apple's apps, but third-party developers are following the lead, as users start to experience a certain aversion for everything that is not flat. We end up with lots of simplistic icons and while it may fit some people's tastes, they are less functional than they used to be. For me, that is a step backwards, and even worse, an unnecessary one.

I know that sometimes I look at my app icons, and I'm confused. I can't tell which is which, and I have to post a thread on here asking me how I can use my iPhone again.

Nevaborn
Oct 20, 2013, 04:55 AM
I know that sometimes I look at my app icons, and I'm confused. I can't tell which is which, and I have to post a thread on here asking me how I can use my iPhone again.

And the award for being overly dramatic goes to.....

Seriously there is nothing so wrong people need get so worked up about.

skunk
Oct 20, 2013, 05:05 AM
I know that sometimes I look at my app icons, and I'm confused. I can't tell which is which, and I have to post a thread on here asking me how I can use my iPhone again.Really?

P1otr
Oct 20, 2013, 07:06 AM

I still can NOT see Jony's creative genius, either. Am I blind, tasteless etc ??!

matrix07
Oct 20, 2013, 07:39 AM

LOL. That's quite descriptive.

Drunken Master
Oct 20, 2013, 12:02 PM
Really?

No, it's called sarcasm.

skunk
Oct 20, 2013, 01:10 PM
No, it's called sarcasm.

You had me worried there for a moment!

Paddle1
Oct 20, 2013, 01:30 PM
iOS 7 is nothing like Windows 8. Windows as always been flat other than some poor glass bar appearance implementation since Vista. iOS 7 has many layers and textures, some work well and some need refinement but does not resemble the basic look of Windows.

Font size again have little resemblance, Apples is again more stylised and though thin looks nice and perfectly eligible if you can read.

Windows has a very basic colour pallet, iOS 7 uses many colours often fading patterns and designs giving colourful and eye catching designs.

Minimalist your argument falls flattest on if you'll forgive the pun. Windows is very complicated with users having to access a lot of windows and type key words to find the simplest of functions.

The overall problem with your argument is taking a ill conceived, un-reliable and damn right impractical desktop OS that despite its large tile appearance was never designed to be used by a mobile or touch screen device and comparing it to the market leading mobile OS for usability and simplicity. Something Android owners often use to ridicule iOS users but the ability to actually use a device is very important I would say.

This is not flat:

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/pics/gui/desktop/full/win2000advserv.png

GerritV
Oct 20, 2013, 01:53 PM
Ive claims to be a big fan of Dieter Rams, so my hopes for iOS7 were peeked. Well, I'm very disappointed.

Lake17
Oct 20, 2013, 05:07 PM
Jony Ive is the very definition of the "Peter Principle." He is a brilliantly gifted designer of physical objects, whose mediocrity in software design has been revealed by his new position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

And just for the laughs.............

http://jonyiveredesignsthings.tumblr.com

watchthisspace
Oct 20, 2013, 05:10 PM

But the way people interact with their iOS:7 device is no different from iOS:6 unlike Windows 7 to Windows 8.

Nevaborn
Oct 21, 2013, 08:43 AM
This is not flat:

Image (http://www.guidebookgallery.org/pics/gui/desktop/full/win2000advserv.png)

Im actually impressed you thought that was a good example to support your point. Granted theres a little bit of depth to that but are you seriously suggesting as to your original argument that this is better than iOS 7 ? If so your insane.

SeenJeen
Oct 21, 2013, 08:44 AM
f
g

Nevaborn
Oct 21, 2013, 08:47 AM
I still can NOT see Jony's creative genius, either. Am I blind, tasteless etc ??!

He is a creative genius by my tastes but not to yours and thats fine. Problem is you cant have a design everyone enjoys. I hates the old one but tolerated it and just used my phone.

roadbloc
Oct 21, 2013, 08:48 AM
I do like the look of iOS 7 but it doesn't look like an Apple OS. It looks like a bizarre mashup of what the competition is doing. iOS 7 lacks an identity and consistency.

But for me, its never been about how an OS looks. Just what it does.

Solomani
Oct 21, 2013, 09:00 AM
Or food... Considering that's the most clicks item... Hehe

It's the 21st century. I've dated a girl who had a bad habit of.... Instagramming her restaurant food. :p

So now it makes perfect sense: the Photos icon should be represented by a pork chop.

----------

Maybe you shouldn't be drunk when you're using your iPhone.

CausticPuppy
Oct 21, 2013, 09:18 AM

Icons are symbols; they are abstract representations. A "sunflower" doesn't tell you it's photos either, right? Did the old Safari icon tell you anything about the app, other than your familiarity with it?

Do you need your icons to be literal? If so, what should the "photos" icon be-- should it be a small image of a photograph? But wait, that's too skeuomorphic. Maybe it should just be a tiny image of the app itself?

Should Safari's icon just have a bunch of HTML instead of the compass?

Since abstract symbols don't tell you anything about the apps, I supposed the funny shapes right under the icon don't help either.... I'm talking about the 6 tiny shapes, the first one looks kind of like a roundish flag, followed by a small chair, then a tiny circle, a telephone pole with a hook on the bottom, then another small circle, then a weird squiggle... what in the world does all that mean?

----------

Tell me about it! I am completely lost trying to find my "Mail" icon because it no longer has puffy white clouds behind the envelope. Every time I unlock my screen I just curl up into a fetal position under my desk and cry at the cruelty of the universe.

j4zb4
Oct 21, 2013, 11:09 AM
It's the 21st century. I've dated a girl who had a bad habit of.... Instagramming her restaurant food. :p

So now it makes perfect sense: the Photos icon should be represented by a pork chop.

----------

Maybe you shouldn't be drunk when you're using your iPhone.

Hahaha... Instagramming is exactly what I'm talking about... 😂😂

DomC
Oct 21, 2013, 11:40 AM
Icons are symbols; they are abstract representations. A "sunflower" doesn't tell you it's photos either, right? Did the old Safari icon tell you anything about the app, other than your familiarity with it?

Exactly. The first time you use an app you might look for the visual connection but after that you touch what you know will open it. It's not like there's visual confusion every time you want to open Photos because the icon doesn't include a photo.

Besides it says what it is right below the icon.

CB1234
Oct 21, 2013, 11:42 AM
Besides it says what it is right below the icon.

But but but, that would be called reading and using grey cells..... Now that is a difficult proposition on MR.....

SusanK
Oct 21, 2013, 01:14 PM

Hardware design is Ive's forte. In all fairness there was a shakeup in Apple's upper management and Ive was placed outside his area. Too bad but it happened.

Paddle1
Oct 21, 2013, 02:31 PM
Im actually impressed you thought that was a good example to support your point. Granted theres a little bit of depth to that but are you seriously suggesting as to your original argument that this is better than iOS 7 ? If so your insane.

What are you talking about? I like iOS 7.

E2EK1EL
Oct 21, 2013, 03:20 PM
RZp7BvQJnU8

Razeus
Oct 21, 2013, 04:25 PM
The biggest thing for me, besides the bizzare clip art icons, is the navigation.

I have to relearn why all the symbols mean. Furthermore, the confusion is that some navigation is just words. :confused: The photos.app is a prime example. The upper right corner are words, yet some apps have symbols. The words look "off" as they try to fit everything on a small screen. At least put a box around the word so people know it's a "button" of sorts.

The UI needs major work.