PDA

View Full Version : Cable not certified in iOS 7?

Vertigo50
Jun 11, 2013, 03:49 PM
I plugged in a cheap third-party cable to charge my iPhone on iOS 7, and I get a message like "This cable or accessory is not certified, and may not work properly."

Okay, fair enough, but it has always worked great for charging, syncing, whatever.

Now, when I have it plugged in, it shows the charging lightning bolt, but the battery continues to DRAIN instead of charge.

What the heck? Anyone else seeing this?

It's really crummy if they are intentionally crippling cables that were previously working. I'll try some restarts and things and see what I find.

Jordan921
Jun 11, 2013, 03:58 PM
I'm using a third party cable and it gives me the same pop-up. But it still charges my phone not draining the battery even while I'm using it.

ace.neerav
Aug 22, 2013, 03:48 AM
i get the same message and i dont see the charging symbol on or next to the battery.

TouchMint.com
Aug 22, 2013, 03:56 AM
I get the same message on my iphone5 running ios7 but it charges but really really slow. The same cable works on my other iphone5 running ios6

FreeStyLeMaSTeR
Aug 22, 2013, 04:28 AM
I am guessing ios7 doing something to 3rd oarty cables. I'm on my second cable, they work for a while then stops working. I dont have ios6 device to test it.

tmanto02
Aug 22, 2013, 07:11 AM
Funny enough the same message appears randomly with me too, however I have only ever used genuine Apple cables!

bransoj
Aug 22, 2013, 07:20 AM
Been a bit random for me also...the same third party cable gives the message if i try to use it with my car charger but then works fine from a usb plug adaptor in the house.

Pattycerts
Aug 22, 2013, 08:37 AM
It only happens to me with a 3rd party calbe when I use a car lighter port and charge 2 phones at the same time. Once I unplug the other phone it works fine

daviddth
Aug 22, 2013, 08:44 AM
Funny enough the same message appears randomly with me too, however I have only ever used genuine Apple cables!

I have 2 apple 30 pin to lightning adapters and they bring up the message occasionally, but work. I also have 2 charge-only Chinese knockoff cables and they bring up the error every time, but charge the phone fine.

After one upgrade (Beta 5??) I had to reboot the iPhone a couple of times to get the charging to work with the cheap cables, but ever since it has worked fine, just with the error message

Tubamajuba
Aug 22, 2013, 08:44 AM
After the recent events regarding third party chargers failing in horrific ways, don't expect Apple to loosen up on this kind of thing. Not all third party cables and chargers are bad- some are quite good- but Apple isn't going to go through all of them and verify them.

daviddth
Aug 22, 2013, 08:50 AM
After the recent events regarding third party chargers failing in horrific ways, don't expect Apple to loosen up on this kind of thing. Not all third party cables and chargers are bad- some are quite good- but Apple isn't going to go through all of them and verify them.

But that is chargers which are dangerous as they can inadvertantly expose you to dangerous 110-240V voltages without your knowledge, or catch fire etc.

Cables are a USB (5v) and data connection, and if you are connectiing to proper USB Port, they will have short circuit protection on the PC or charger side.

Armen
Aug 22, 2013, 11:19 AM
I plugged in a cheap third-party cable to charge my iPhone on iOS 7, and I get a message like "This cable or accessory is not certified, and may not work properly."

Okay, fair enough, but it has always worked great for charging, syncing, whatever.

Now, when I have it plugged in, it shows the charging lightning bolt, but the battery continues to DRAIN instead of charge.

What the heck? Anyone else seeing this?

It's really crummy if they are intentionally crippling cables that were previously working. I'll try some restarts and things and see what I find.

I don't blame Apple for doing this.

- This will prevent cheap low quality cables/chargers from possibly damaging the battery or other components of an iPhonei/iPad which would make addressing warranty issues easier.

- This is additional income for Apple. Legit companies have to pay a licensing fee to sell Apple accessories. You don't pay the fee, you're not authorized.

- Liability: Remember that lady in China who got electrocuted to death while using her iPhone while it was being charged? The media circus was pointing fingers at Apple until they learned the charger was unauthorized.

Apple was even kind enough to take in these aftermarket cheap chargers and give you an official Apple charger for $10.00

For me, I'd rather pay the $29.00 for an authentic Apple cable than wonder if my $5.00 Amazon cable is actually doing damage to the phone.

imaginex20
Aug 22, 2013, 11:22 AM
I bought some cheap cables from Amazon iXCC, and I am not getting the warning. It works perfectly fine with charging and syncing.

I ordered some more from another site that said it is compatible with iOS 7 specifically.

nikicampos
Aug 22, 2013, 11:43 AM

Apple was even kind enough to take in these aftermarket cheap chargers and give you an official Apple charger for $10.00

This right here, OP should just take the cheap cable and for only $10 get an official Apple cable.

People complaining about cheap cables, wow, the iPhone price is $649 so yeah, I'm not using a cheap $5 cable to ruin my battery.

It's like saying, "this pirated game won't play in my PS3, Sony sucks".

Zmanbaseball2
Aug 22, 2013, 12:25 PM
I bought some cheap cables from Amazon iXCC, and I am not getting the warning. It works perfectly fine with charging and syncing.

I ordered some more from another site that said it is compatible with iOS 7 specifically.

I am happy now. I have been waiting for someone to confirm that the iXCC cables from amazon works with iOS 7. Can you confirm that it syncs? Are you on iOS 7 beta 6 testing the cables?

imaginex20
Aug 22, 2013, 12:26 PM
I am happy now. I have been waiting for someone to confirm that the iXCC cables from amazon works with iOS 7. Can you confirm that it syncs? Are you on iOS 7 beta 6 testing the cables?

uhhh...my post that you quoted says it works perfectly fine with syncing and charging.. :confused::confused:

Armen
Aug 22, 2013, 01:22 PM
This right here, OP should just take the cheap cable and for only $10 get an official Apple cable.

People complaining about cheap cables, wow, the iPhone price is $649 so yeah, I'm not using a cheap $5 cable to ruin my battery.

Exactly. It's frustrating to hear people say "This is the same as the Apple cable but its so much cheaper!". It's NOT the same.

cwosigns
Aug 22, 2013, 01:59 PM
I use Belkin Charge n Sync docks at home and at the office, and the one at home will randomly cause that message to appear and won't charge. I have to reboot my phone, and that often will get it to charge. But it is random, and both are certified (bought them at the Apple Store). Hoping the final release will fix this.

iphonehype
Aug 22, 2013, 02:13 PM
Have had this issue with iOS 7 Beta one. Charges the phone fine though...can't complain.....:apple:

Zmanbaseball2
Aug 22, 2013, 03:43 PM
uhhh...my post that you quoted says it works perfectly fine with syncing and charging.. :confused::confused:

Oops I read it too fast for me to process it lol. Thank you though.

PNutts
Aug 22, 2013, 07:37 PM
Cables are a USB (5v) and data connection, and if you are connectiing to proper USB Port, they will have short circuit protection on the PC or charger side.

This is one of the features left out in cheap third party chargers. In addition, apparently, to send 110-240V out the cable.

daviddth
Aug 22, 2013, 10:10 PM
This is one of the features left out in cheap third party chargers. In addition, apparently, to send 110-240V out the cable.

I bought one to charge my iPhone when away at a motel as I forgot my charger, but had the charging lead. Out of interest I opened it a few months later to see just how simple this $3 charger was and then promptly threw it away. In Australia our plugs are polarized so you can not plug in a device swapping over the active and neutral lines. Neutral is at earth potential, but active is at 240V AC. The 5V output has a 0V and +5v but they are not tied to the input side at all, but in this charger the 0V line was tied directly to the neutral line.

This has the effect of ensuring that the output voltage is at earth potential, or no more than 5V above it... EXCEPT... What happens if you plug the charger into a power outlet or extension lead or power board with Active and neutral swapped over? Yep then the output is sitting there floating at 240V above earth! In a fault condition the Neutral can also rise above earth potential as well, so even if the wiring is correct, you could receive a shock if you were unlucky enough to be touching the lead at that time.

I had used the charger for days, my 12 year old daughter had used the charger as well, and it was only luck that all the power outlets in the motel were wired correctly, but one screw up by the installer or maintenance person in the past and we could have been in serious trouble

MisakixMikasa
Aug 22, 2013, 10:23 PM

Have you ever seen people doing that? I had buck of third party cable, none of them failed me, though those are all 30 pin connectors.

Exactly. It's frustrating to hear people say "This is the same as the Apple cable but its so much cheaper!". It's NOT the same.

I think they are basically the same, it just Apple put some code inside that little chip so that they can prevent third party maker making lighting cable. As I said, I brought few third party cable for me, my family and my friend, none of them really give me trouble. In my view, Apple's cable quality just same as these cheap cable, they fail fairly quickly too

1rottenapple
Aug 23, 2013, 02:16 AM
Try unplug and re plug. Experienced the same thing.

Galer
Aug 23, 2013, 06:29 AM
but the battery continues to DRAIN instead of charge.

Copied from Android. :D

bad03xtreme
Aug 23, 2013, 07:14 AM
Mine does the same thing, it works when it wants. It's actually rather frustrating.

PNutts
Aug 23, 2013, 02:48 PM
I bought one to charge my iPhone when away at a motel as I forgot my charger...

Yikes. Glad it worked out OK.

OT: I remember an auto enthusiast article awhile back where someone opened the electronics for third party no-name knock-off HID lights. The manufacturer had omitted almost all the electronics (some that would provide safety) and to make up for the loss in weight it was filled with sand so it "felt" the same as name brands. <sigh>

liftin
Aug 26, 2013, 07:38 AM
I get the message every few minutes even when nothing is plugged in! Yes I use non apple cables from good suppliers (monoprice), which have worked fine, but this must be a bug when the message keeps popping up endlessly without any cable attached.

ourdoc
Sep 5, 2013, 03:02 PM
Sad thing is, I'm getting that same message, using the cable that came with my iPhone, directly from Apple.

cclloyd
Sep 5, 2013, 03:04 PM
I had that message.

And I'm pretty sure that iOS 7 purposly broke my 3rd party cable.

Cause it worked perfectly, and then I updated to iOS 7b5, and thats when it said it wasn't supported, then it stopped working with my iPhone, and iOS 6 iPad.

Zmanbaseball2
Sep 5, 2013, 03:06 PM
I had that message.

And I'm pretty sure that iOS 7 purposly broke my 3rd party cable.

Cause it worked perfectly, and then I updated to iOS 7b5, and thats when it said it wasn't supported, then it stopped working with my iPhone, and iOS 6 iPad.

My 3rd party cables worked fine in iOS 6 and when I updated to iOS 7 beta 6 it still charges my iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5 but I get an error.

dcp10
Sep 5, 2013, 08:21 PM
I had the same issue. Turns out my phone had a bit of pocket lint in the jack which I removed carefully with a toothpick. No troubles since.

zorinlynx
Sep 6, 2013, 01:52 PM
If ya'll keep buying cheap crappy chargers, then you're going to keep having a cheap crappy experience.

Like the aforementioned car charger that stops working right when you plug more than one phone in? The morons who designed it clearly didn't use a regulator with enough current for two devices.

Not to mention all the AC powered chargers that malfunction and spew dirty power, or fry your phone with random voltage spikes.

Just use official chargers. Really, you only have to buy them once, maybe twice, and you have them practically forever. Yeah, some of us had to buy new cables recently, but those were the first new cables we had to buy for apple portable equipment since 2002. It's really not a horrible ripoff.

Use genuine or certified stuff and stop whining. Most of you should know by now that you get what you pay for.

truelies
Sep 23, 2013, 09:58 AM
I am using apple adapter, but not original cable. It charged ok on ios 6, worked on ios 7, but today it shows charging sign without charging. What did apple do on ios 7?

----------

If ya'll keep buying cheap crappy chargers, then you're going to keep having a cheap crappy experience.

Like the aforementioned car charger that stops working right when you plug more than one phone in? The morons who designed it clearly didn't use a regulator with enough current for two devices.

Not to mention all the AC powered chargers that malfunction and spew dirty power, or fry your phone with random voltage spikes.

Just use official chargers. Really, you only have to buy them once, maybe twice, and you have them practically forever. Yeah, some of us had to buy new cables recently, but those were the first new cables we had to buy for apple portable equipment since 2002. It's really not a horrible ripoff.

Use genuine or certified stuff and stop whining. Most of you should know by now that you get what you pay for.

So you think a lighting cable for $19.99 is reasonable?

KUguardgrl13
Sep 23, 2013, 10:09 AM
My cheap cable from Walgreens that I use in my car with a Belkin car charger still works. It doesn't fit with the case I'm using though so I've been shopping around for a replacement. Good to know I should only look at certified!

Btw, how do you tell what is certified for lightening? Same logo as 30-pin?

Zmanbaseball2
Sep 23, 2013, 12:27 PM
My cheap cable from Walgreens that I use in my car with a Belkin car charger still works. It doesn't fit with the case I'm using though so I've been shopping around for a replacement. Good to know I should only look at certified!

MFi means made for idevice.
Here's a pic of what should be on the packaging of a MFi certified product.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/24/ate9u8ed.jpg

----------

I recommend this car charger:
Skiva Car Charger with 8-Pin Lightning Cable (Apple Certified with 2.1 Amps / 10 Watt output) for iPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen), iPad mini, iPod touch (5th Gen), and iPod nano (7th Gen) (Model: PowerFlow Lightning Fire C-1)
http://amzn.com/B00C2D9SV0
Or just a cable:
AmazonBasics USB A to Lightning Compatible Cable (3 Feet/0.9 Meter)
http://amzn.com/B009SYZ8OC

Brian Y
Sep 23, 2013, 12:30 PM
I am using apple adapter, but not original cable. It charged ok on ios 6, worked on ios 7, but today it shows charging sign without charging. What did apple do on ios 7?

----------

Right - so how much did Apple spend on designing, creating, and most importantly testing those cables. Plus the better materials cost more, etc. Plus lightning cables are active cables.

Of course some Chinese company is going to be able to make them cheaper. It's always cheaper to copy than to produce something original. However you don't know what the quality of the internal cables is like - and more importantly, the quality of the internal insulation. Sure, you think a cheap cable can't damage your phone - if the insulation inside breaks, it could short out - killing either your phone's dock connector, or potentially more dangerously, the power adapter.

KUguardgrl13
Sep 23, 2013, 02:25 PM
MFi means made for idevice.
Here's a pic of what should be on the packaging of a MFi certified product.
Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/24/ate9u8ed.jpg)

----------

I recommend this car charger:
Skiva Car Charger with 8-Pin Lightning Cable (Apple Certified with 2.1 Amps / 10 Watt output) for iPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen), iPad mini, iPod touch (5th Gen), and iPod nano (7th Gen) (Model: PowerFlow Lightning Fire C-1)
http://amzn.com/B00C2D9SV0
Or just a cable:
AmazonBasics USB A to Lightning Compatible Cable (3 Feet/0.9 Meter)
http://amzn.com/B009SYZ8OC

Thanks! I just need the cable. The car adapter is a belkin USB. It's a few years old, but it should work. I actually originally got it for my first gen iPod shuffle!

truelies
Sep 24, 2013, 09:21 AM
Right - so how much did Apple spend on designing, creating, and most importantly testing those cables. Plus the better materials cost more, etc. Plus lightning cables are active cables.

Of course some Chinese company is going to be able to make them cheaper. It's always cheaper to copy than to produce something original. However you don't know what the quality of the internal cables is like - and more importantly, the quality of the internal insulation. Sure, you think a cheap cable can't damage your phone - if the insulation inside breaks, it could short out - killing either your phone's dock connector, or potentially more dangerously, the power adapter.

The apple original lighting cable has very bad quality. It stops working easily. $19.99 for a cable is like a joke.

KUguardgrl13
Oct 1, 2013, 02:27 PM
Boyfriend just upgraded to iOS 7 last week and now his Griffin cable doesn't work. What gives, Apple? Griffin and Belkin have been your minions for years!

Zmanbaseball2
Oct 1, 2013, 02:28 PM
Boyfriend just upgraded to iOS 7 last week and now his Griffin cable doesn't work. What gives, Apple? Griffin and Belkin have been your minions for years!

What happens exactly when he plugs it in?

KUguardgrl13
Oct 1, 2013, 02:56 PM
What happens exactly when he plugs it in?

He gets the uncertified notification window and the cable only charges when the cable is wiggled and then it loses connection again. This happens both with a belkin USB wall charger and a Walgreens USB car charger.

This is on a t-mobile iPhone 5.

Zmanbaseball2
Oct 1, 2013, 02:58 PM
He gets the uncertified notification window and the cable only charges when the cable is wiggled and then it loses connection again. This happens both with a belkin USB wall charger and a Walgreens USB car charger.

This is on a t-mobile iPhone 5.

Try a hard reset(hold power and home button until apple logo shows up)
Report back. Where did you buy the cable from? Maybe you got a generic one deigned to look exactly the same as griffins.

Curun
Oct 1, 2013, 03:04 PM

----------

So you think a lighting cable for $19.99 is reasonable?IF it works. $19.99 is a fraction the cost of a $649 handset.

Monoprice has certified ones for $12. But feel free to pay 19.99 if you REALLY want.

KUguardgrl13
Oct 1, 2013, 03:07 PM
Try a hard reset(hold power and home button until apple logo shows up)
Report back. Where did you buy the cable from? Maybe you got a generic one deigned to look exactly the same as griffins.

Ordered from Amazon and came in the Griffin retail packaging (at least bf thinks so). He said it was from Griffin, but you can never be 100% sure with amazon.

Zmanbaseball2
Oct 1, 2013, 03:12 PM
Ordered from Amazon and came in the Griffin retail packaging (at least bf thinks so). He said it was from Griffin, but you can never be 100% sure with amazon.

You are right. Non certified cables worked with iOS 6 with no error but now they give an error so I think he got a non certified cable.

chestvrg
Oct 1, 2013, 06:54 PM
I use Belkin Charge n Sync docks at home and at the office, and the one at home will randomly cause that message to appear and won't charge. I have to reboot my phone, and that often will get it to charge. But it is random, and both are certified (bought them at the Apple Store). Hoping the final release will fix this.

I also use Belkin chargers and a Belkin dock to charge my iPhone 5 and my kid's ipad mini and I get the same message as well. I recently brought the Belkin charger I keep at the workplace and replaced it with an original Apple charger to stop the message from popping. Went to the Apple store and they say they couldn't help me that I needed to contact Belkin for a replacement because I had purchased it online.

thatgirl87
Oct 1, 2013, 06:59 PM
I got that message when I was using my retractable 3rd party charger. I had to give it to my brother who is on iOS 6. Why can't Apple just make different chargers? Retractable, long, different colors, whatever. I don't care about price. It's about variety.

scaredpoet
Oct 1, 2013, 07:06 PM

For the assurance that my $800 phone isn't going to get burned out by a bad cable (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1456169)? Sure. Spending all that money on a phone and then complaining about the cost of the cable is a textbook example of being pennywise and pound foolish.

But if $19.99 is too steep, maybe $13.99 might be up your alley for a cheaper but still certified MFi lightning cable (http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Lightning-Compatible-Cable-Meter/dp/B009SYZ8OC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380671821&sr=8-1&keywords=lightning+cable).

Zmanbaseball2
Oct 1, 2013, 07:27 PM
For the assurance that my $800 phone isn't going to get burned out by a bad cable (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1456169)? Sure. Spending all that money on a phone and then complaining about the cost of the cable is a textbook example of being pennywise and pound foolish.

But if $19.99 is too steep, maybe $13.99 might be up your alley for a cheaper but still certified MFi lightning cable (http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Lightning-Compatible-Cable-Meter/dp/B009SYZ8OC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380671821&sr=8-1&keywords=lightning+cable).

I've been using these cable for 6+ months with no problems. I'm not against you... just saying.
iXCC (TM) White 8-Pin Lightning Cable for Apple iPhone5, iPad4, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5th Gen, iPod Nano 7th Gen
http://amzn.com/B0092HQJ7K

truelies
Oct 2, 2013, 01:30 PM

I believe you was brainwashed by those textbook.