Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
I plugged in a cheap third-party cable to charge my iPhone on iOS 7, and I get a message like "This cable or accessory is not certified, and may not work properly."

Okay, fair enough, but it has always worked great for charging, syncing, whatever.

Now, when I have it plugged in, it shows the charging lightning bolt, but the battery continues to DRAIN instead of charge.

What the heck? Anyone else seeing this?

It's really crummy if they are intentionally crippling cables that were previously working. I'll try some restarts and things and see what I find.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I'm using a third party cable and it gives me the same pop-up. But it still charges my phone not draining the battery even while I'm using it.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I get the same message on my iphone5 running ios7 but it charges but really really slow. The same cable works on my other iphone5 running ios6

FreeWoRLD83

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I am guessing ios7 doing something to 3rd oarty cables. I'm on my second cable, they work for a while then stops working. I dont have ios6 device to test it.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Funny enough the same message appears randomly with me too, however I have only ever used genuine Apple cables!

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Been a bit random for me also...the same third party cable gives the message if i try to use it with my car charger but then works fine from a usb plug adaptor in the house.

Pattycerts

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
It only happens to me with a 3rd party calbe when I use a car lighter port and charge 2 phones at the same time. Once I unplug the other phone it works fine

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
Funny enough the same message appears randomly with me too, however I have only ever used genuine Apple cables!

I have 2 apple 30 pin to lightning adapters and they bring up the message occasionally, but work. I also have 2 charge-only Chinese knockoff cables and they bring up the error every time, but charge the phone fine.

After one upgrade (Beta 5??) I had to reboot the iPhone a couple of times to get the charging to work with the cheap cables, but ever since it has worked fine, just with the error message

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
After the recent events regarding third party chargers failing in horrific ways, don't expect Apple to loosen up on this kind of thing. Not all third party cables and chargers are bad- some are quite good- but Apple isn't going to go through all of them and verify them.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
After the recent events regarding third party chargers failing in horrific ways, don't expect Apple to loosen up on this kind of thing. Not all third party cables and chargers are bad- some are quite good- but Apple isn't going to go through all of them and verify them.

But that is chargers which are dangerous as they can inadvertantly expose you to dangerous 110-240V voltages without your knowledge, or catch fire etc.

Cables are a USB (5v) and data connection, and if you are connectiing to proper USB Port, they will have short circuit protection on the PC or charger side.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I plugged in a cheap third-party cable to charge my iPhone on iOS 7, and I get a message like "This cable or accessory is not certified, and may not work properly."

Okay, fair enough, but it has always worked great for charging, syncing, whatever.

Now, when I have it plugged in, it shows the charging lightning bolt, but the battery continues to DRAIN instead of charge.

What the heck? Anyone else seeing this?

It's really crummy if they are intentionally crippling cables that were previously working. I'll try some restarts and things and see what I find.

I don't blame Apple for doing this.

- This will prevent cheap low quality cables/chargers from possibly damaging the battery or other components of an iPhonei/iPad which would make addressing warranty issues easier.

- This is additional income for Apple. Legit companies have to pay a licensing fee to sell Apple accessories. You don't pay the fee, you're not authorized.

- Liability: Remember that lady in China who got electrocuted to death while using her iPhone while it was being charged? The media circus was pointing fingers at Apple until they learned the charger was unauthorized.

Apple was even kind enough to take in these aftermarket cheap chargers and give you an official Apple charger for $10.00

For me, I'd rather pay the $29.00 for an authentic Apple cable than wonder if my $5.00 Amazon cable is actually doing damage to the phone.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
I bought some cheap cables from Amazon iXCC, and I am not getting the warning. It works perfectly fine with charging and syncing.

I ordered some more from another site that said it is compatible with iOS 7 specifically.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011

Apple was even kind enough to take in these aftermarket cheap chargers and give you an official Apple charger for $10.00

This right here, OP should just take the cheap cable and for only $10 get an official Apple cable.

People complaining about cheap cables, wow, the iPhone price is $649 so yeah, I'm not using a cheap $5 cable to ruin my battery.

It's like saying, "this pirated game won't play in my PS3, Sony sucks".

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Cable not certified in iOS 7?

I bought some cheap cables from Amazon iXCC, and I am not getting the warning. It works perfectly fine with charging and syncing.

I ordered some more from another site that said it is compatible with iOS 7 specifically.

I am happy now. I have been waiting for someone to confirm that the iXCC cables from amazon works with iOS 7. Can you confirm that it syncs? Are you on iOS 7 beta 6 testing the cables?

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
I am happy now. I have been waiting for someone to confirm that the iXCC cables from amazon works with iOS 7. Can you confirm that it syncs? Are you on iOS 7 beta 6 testing the cables?

uhhh...my post that you quoted says it works perfectly fine with syncing and charging.. :confused::confused:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
This right here, OP should just take the cheap cable and for only $10 get an official Apple cable.

People complaining about cheap cables, wow, the iPhone price is $649 so yeah, I'm not using a cheap $5 cable to ruin my battery.

Exactly. It's frustrating to hear people say "This is the same as the Apple cable but its so much cheaper!". It's NOT the same.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I use Belkin Charge n Sync docks at home and at the office, and the one at home will randomly cause that message to appear and won't charge. I have to reboot my phone, and that often will get it to charge. But it is random, and both are certified (bought them at the Apple Store). Hoping the final release will fix this.

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
Have had this issue with iOS 7 Beta one. Charges the phone fine though...can't complain.....:apple:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Cables are a USB (5v) and data connection, and if you are connectiing to proper USB Port, they will have short circuit protection on the PC or charger side.

This is one of the features left out in cheap third party chargers. In addition, apparently, to send 110-240V out the cable.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
This is one of the features left out in cheap third party chargers. In addition, apparently, to send 110-240V out the cable.

I bought one to charge my iPhone when away at a motel as I forgot my charger, but had the charging lead. Out of interest I opened it a few months later to see just how simple this $3 charger was and then promptly threw it away. In Australia our plugs are polarized so you can not plug in a device swapping over the active and neutral lines. Neutral is at earth potential, but active is at 240V AC. The 5V output has a 0V and +5v but they are not tied to the input side at all, but in this charger the 0V line was tied directly to the neutral line.

This has the effect of ensuring that the output voltage is at earth potential, or no more than 5V above it... EXCEPT... What happens if you plug the charger into a power outlet or extension lead or power board with Active and neutral swapped over? Yep then the output is sitting there floating at 240V above earth! In a fault condition the Neutral can also rise above earth potential as well, so even if the wiring is correct, you could receive a shock if you were unlucky enough to be touching the lead at that time.

I had used the charger for days, my 12 year old daughter had used the charger as well, and it was only luck that all the power outlets in the motel were wired correctly, but one screw up by the installer or maintenance person in the past and we could have been in serious trouble

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Have you ever seen people doing that? I had buck of third party cable, none of them failed me, though those are all 30 pin connectors.

Exactly. It's frustrating to hear people say "This is the same as the Apple cable but its so much cheaper!". It's NOT the same.

I think they are basically the same, it just Apple put some code inside that little chip so that they can prevent third party maker making lighting cable. As I said, I brought few third party cable for me, my family and my friend, none of them really give me trouble. In my view, Apple's cable quality just same as these cheap cable, they fail fairly quickly too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.