Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D-a-a-n

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Hi,

In 2010 I bought my MBP with SL preinstalled on it. I then upgraded to OSX lion but skipped mountain lion.

I'd like to upgrade to Mavericks (when it's released) but I want it to be a clean install..

How do I do this?
I don't have to pay for Mountain Lion as well right?

Grts

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
But will I be able to buy Mavericks without having bought ML for the usual price of 20 euro?

I know in the past Apple did do that where it was required to have a certain OS before you can upgrade but I'm looking at my dev account now and it's only Hardware related requirements, nothing about having to have ML to upgrade from what I can see. I'll keep reading/looking.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I'd like to upgrade to Mavericks (when it's released) but I want it to be a clean install..
Why the clean install? OS X is designed by default to install in the place of an existing system. There is no real advantage to doing a "clean" install -- particularly not if you then restore everything from a backup.

D-a-a-n

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Why the clean install? OS X is designed by default to install in the place of an existing system. There is no real advantage to doing a "clean" install -- particularly not if you then restore everything from a backup.

I want to do a clean install because I want to switch my harddrive for an ssd :D.
I know I could first clone my harddrive to the ssd but I really want to start with a clean slate because my hd is really cluttered atm :D

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I really want to start with a clean slate because my hd is really cluttered atm :D
Starting from a clean slate is fair enough of course.

But "stuff on my disk" is not a problem, as such. OS X doesn't slow down because you've got files.

It seems to be a philosophy from Windows: "I have a problem. Quick! Wipe the disk and reinstall everything!" 95% of the time, it's massively overkill.

In 10 years and ... 7 versions of OS X, I've wiped the disk about 3 times. I've done a full migration to each new Mac I've bought. Is there a vestigial 4Kb file from OS X 10.2 that's now in the user Library of my 2012 Mini? Probably. Does it matter? No.

Some guys no doubt will argue the opposite. But this is what I've discovered and been taught.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
It seems to be a philosophy from Windows: "I have a problem. Quick! Wipe the disk and reinstall everything!" 95% of the time, it's massively overkill.

Yes indeed - nuke your drive! I've noticed that advice here is often commensurate with what you paid for it. :D

Some guys no doubt will argue the opposite.
No arguments here. I cringe at the issues I read about here and sometimes the remedy. But in all honesty, a lot of folks have dug themselves such a deep hole of self-inflicted OS problems (3rd party apps) and don't have the wherewithal to get themselves out that a complete reinstall is often the easiest and quickest solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.