PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV and Time Capsule?

davidwes
Jun 11, 2013, 04:51 PM
Hi,

The Apple TV won't store your movies, so you need to use something that it will stream from (i.e. a desktop). Can you use apple's time capsule to store rips of dvd's and then play them from the apple tv?

mic j
Jun 11, 2013, 05:02 PM
Hi,

The Apple TV won't store your movies, so you need to use something that it will stream from (i.e. a desktop). Can you use apple's time capsule to store rips of dvd's and then play them from the apple tv?
You need to have iTunes running on something. It won't run on a TC. There are ways to partition the TC drive to accomplish storage. I prefer to just attach a network drive to it. Easier and not very expensive

Lance-AR
Jun 12, 2013, 03:06 PM
It is possible to mount the TC as a network share on the Mac running iTunes. It won't be as reliable as a hard drive hanging off the Mac directly but it should work to as a mount point. You'll tell iTunes your media collection is located on the TC. Just keep in mind you can't backup files on the TC to the TC.

brettO5
Jun 12, 2013, 10:36 PM
It is possible to mount the TC as a network share on the Mac running iTunes. It won't be as reliable as a hard drive hanging off the Mac directly but it should work to as a mount point. You'll tell iTunes your media collection is located on the TC. Just keep in mind you can't backup files on the TC to the TC.

I don't see why not. Before adding a Mac Mini to my setup, I was doing this but with an external HD connected to the TC via USB.