PDA

View Full Version : No swype/trace keyboard then?

MrMister111
Jun 11, 2013, 05:25 PM
Liking a lot of iOS 7, not sure on the look yet, but I take it there's nothing done on the keyboard? No swype/trace type?

Any improvements on keyboard? I was really really hoping that a swype/trace keyboard, or an Apple version would come in iOS7 :(

Mac_i_Am
Jun 11, 2013, 05:29 PM
Ditto, there should be no reason for apple to not allow this.. even through an app.

I know some people who think texting otherwise is archaic.

MrMister111
Jun 12, 2013, 07:25 AM
I hope they at least let an app in, though I doubt it with current rules as the keyboard can capture all taps.

If Apple would do one it would make me happy, at last they have quick settings for at least a few things. Maybe in a later beta?

recklesslife85
Jun 12, 2013, 07:26 AM
Was hoping for this also, i use it like mad on my Android phones. Be brilliant if it comes in the next beta or something.

Phoboss
Jun 12, 2013, 07:40 AM
I really can't this into my head, why, WHY on earth is Apple not willing to acknowledge the fact that the iOS keyboard/autocorrect is really really bad in comparison with other platforms?

LeoNobilis
Jun 12, 2013, 01:15 PM
Much disappointed with Apple's resolution to cling to the current keyboard tech. A Swype / SlideIt / T9 / SwiftKey Flow keyboard must positively be integrated into the system: you don't walk about on ice with high heels on - you skate. The same goes for capacitative touchscreens. Apparently, Apple fail to get this elementary principle.

I also guess, the iPhone 5S (or even the 6) won't have a screen density (let alone, the overall screen dimensions) of any of the current crop of high end Android devices. A babyphone with a grotesquely impaired functionality both in soft- and hardware terms.

US Marine
Jun 12, 2013, 07:15 PM
This is an absolute deal breaker for me. I was really hoping Apple would finally include Swype or something similar in iOS 7. There is no way I'll jump ship from an Android phone without it. As long as Apple has been playing catchup with Android features, it's baffling to me that iOS still doesn't have trace typing.

eaglesteve
Jun 12, 2013, 10:21 PM
Not giving more thoughts to the extremely dated keyboard is also my biggest disappointment with iOS7. I just love TouchPal, Swype, or other slide keyboard on Android platforms. Although Touchpal is now available on the App Store, you can't make it system wide, unless you jailbreak the phone and install the system-wide TouchPal from the Cydia market (and that version crashes a lot unfortunately).

campingsk8er
Jun 13, 2013, 01:48 AM
Seriously guys? That is your reason for not getting an iPhone, then stay on Android. Everybody complains when iOS doesn't have features that android does. But I GUARANTEE you that the second any such feature is added to the iPhone, people will say "Android had the first," "Android already has this," or "Way to steal something from Android." You can never satisfy anybody apparently. People are looking for things to nitpick at.

eaglesteve
Jun 13, 2013, 03:01 AM
I hate people who says go and use Android just because we want to have a useful functionality. Seriously.

I don't like Android because it has even more serious limitations!

portishead
Jun 13, 2013, 03:07 AM
I wish they had it too, but it's not a deal breaker. I'd imagine they will add it eventually. Maybe even before final release.

dontpannic
Jun 13, 2013, 03:14 AM
I really can't this into my head, why, WHY on earth is Apple not willing to acknowledge the fact that the iOS keyboard/autocorrect is really really bad in comparison with other platforms?

It's not that bad. It doesn't have Swype. Big deal. It is still faster and more accurate than any mobile keyboard.

eaglesteve
Jun 13, 2013, 03:23 AM
It's not that bad. It doesn't have Swype. Big deal. It is still faster and more accurate than any mobile keyboard.

I disagree. The standard iOS keyboard is too slow and more error prone in my experience than Swype like keyboard.

iBreatheApple
Jun 13, 2013, 03:26 AM
Why swype? So everyone can complain about iOS being an Android copy? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I personally couldn't care less about swype. It's funny; I remember bitching and complaining about the lack of landscape support for typing back in the day and I never use that functionality now that we have it. It was the simple fact that I knew I couldn't that made me want it. :p

eaglesteve
Jun 13, 2013, 03:29 AM
Why swype? So everyone can complain about iOS being an Android copy? :rolleyes:

I don't think Swype is an Android copy. I think it first came out during the windows mobile days. Android copies it because it is more open-minded to good things I guess.

iBreatheApple
Jun 13, 2013, 03:36 AM
I don't think Swype is an Android copy. I think it first came out during the windows mobile days. Android copies it because it is more open-minded to good things I guess.

The point being that everything people complain is a copy is not really a "copy." And even if one wants to label it a copy it's features that people request time and time again. Furthermore, a good portion of the foundation of Android is a "copy". They can evolve all they want but they would've had little to start with if it wasn't for the original iOS. Steve believed that and so do I.

eaglesteve
Jun 13, 2013, 03:39 AM
The point being that everything people complain is a copy is not really a "copy." And even if one wants to label it a copy it's features that people request time and time again. Furthermore, a good portion of the foundation of Android is a "copy". They can evolve all they want but they would've had little to start with if it wasn't for the original iOS. Steve believed that and so do I.

Swype is not created by Android, that's all I would like to say. It was there way before Android was born.

dontpannic
Jun 13, 2013, 03:51 AM
I disagree. The standard iOS keyboard is too slow and more error prone in my experience than Swype like keyboard.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Having used swype / swiftkey, I am slower as I have to think about the route of what I'm typing rather than just instinctively hitting the keys.

eaglesteve
Jun 13, 2013, 03:57 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree. Having used swype / swiftkey, I am slower as I have to think about the route of what I'm typing rather than just instinctively hitting the keys.

I used to be think like you, debating against Swype during the windows mobile day. I no longer hold that view and love it very much. ;)

iBreatheApple
Jun 13, 2013, 04:14 AM
Swype is not created by Android, that's all I would like to say. It was there way before Android was born.

I wasn't opposing you...

WhackyNinja
Jun 13, 2013, 04:18 AM
Logic:

Android users complain that iOS doesn't have a feature they have.

iOS gets said feature.

iOS is accused of stealing and copying from them.

inselstudent
Jun 13, 2013, 05:00 AM
I also guess, the iPhone 5S (or even the 6) won't have a screen density (let alone, the overall screen dimensions) of any of the current crop of high end Android devices. A babyphone with a grotesquely impaired functionality both in soft- and hardware terms.

I'll never understand the obsession with ever higher pixel density. At some point, you are physically unable to distinguish individual pixels. And the iPhone's retina display has reached that point. There's really no point in increasing the current pixel density. More pixels add more strain to the processor and battery life is sparse on any mobile device, so why would you want to have more pixels?

Even big manufacturers like Samsung or HTC don't seem to understand that.

I agree though that I'd like to see the swype keyboard on the iPhone.

US Marine
Jun 13, 2013, 08:04 AM
Seriously guys? That is your reason for not getting an iPhone, then stay on Android. Everybody complains when iOS doesn't have features that android does. But I GUARANTEE you that the second any such feature is added to the iPhone, people will say "Android had the first," "Android already has this," or "Way to steal something from Android." You can never satisfy anybody apparently. People are looking for things to nitpick at.

This isn't nitpicking. Inputting text is one of the most important and used functions of any smartphone.

MonkeySee....
Jun 13, 2013, 08:06 AM
What's all the fuss about the keyboard? I'm not seeing the issue with the current one?

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 13, 2013, 08:18 AM
Logic:

Android users complain that iOS doesn't have a feature they have.

iOS gets said feature.

iOS is accused of stealing and copying from them.

Logic:

iPhone users don't care for any Android features.

iOS gets some features that Android has.

iPhone users now love those features they didn't care for.

bearda
Jun 13, 2013, 08:19 AM
What's all the fuss about the keyboard? I'm not seeing the issue with the current one?

The current iOS keyboard isn't bad, it just isn't very good either. Having used the webOS touchpad keyboard, Swype and SwiftyKey on Android, and a handful of others the iOS keyboard is adequate. But every time I have to switch to numbers to input a password or the like I wish something like SwiftKey was available. Even without swype/flow mode both of them are more accurate and have better predictions/corrections. Depending on how much you're typing the keyboard can have a major impact on the overall experience with a device. I don't use messaging a lot from my phone but on days I have a conversation going on Facebook I tend to use my Nexus 4 more than my iPhone just because the keyboard is better.

It's not a situation I'd consider unworkable (I haven't switched to Android yet, but II'm close for other reasons). Now that other mobile platforms have continues to improve it is a place where iOS lags behind, though. I doubt a lot of people are going to switch platforms just because of the keyboard, but for some it may be one of a handful of factors.

dontpannic
Jun 13, 2013, 08:28 AM
I used to be think like you, debating against Swype during the windows mobile day. I no longer hold that view and love it very much. ;)

I'm not debating against it - I'm debating the point that it's not the be all and end all.

I wouldn't be bothered if it came to iOS or not, I could never get to grips with it when I've tried it on numerous occasions (though iOS via jailbreak TouchPal, and though Android with Swype) I'm still faster typing rather than swyping.

I'm sure if it came to iOS I'd give it a try, and you never know, I might even prefer it to the normal keyboard, but it's not a feature that will stop my next phone being an iPhone.

LeoNobilis
Jun 13, 2013, 10:11 AM

Try TouchPal and Fleksy standalone apps. Now, fancy this: Swype and SwiftKey Flow are even better than TouchPal (if Android-exclusive so far). You don't like Swype / SwiftKey Flow, turn it back off. The same with Fleksy. Use whichsoever input system you like: Apple's dinosaur jab-jab-jab keyboard with its ridiculously flawed auto"correction", the elegant and efficient SwiftKey Flow, T9 / Swype, Fleksy when you need to type without looking at the keyboard (try that with the stock keyboard)

fivedots
Jun 13, 2013, 10:14 AM
Was hoping the existing partnership with Nuance would result in Swype being incorporated. Who knows, it could be a feature they are saving for an iPhone 5S launch.

Or it could be that Apple does not feel the technology is reliable or straightforward enough for the average use. I disagree, but who knows.

They are all about new ways to do things, so I'd be surprised if they didn't agree that tapping away at keys is archaic.

Brittany246
Jun 13, 2013, 10:27 AM
I guess I'm one of those people who don't care about a swype keyboard. I have it on my Nexus 7, and It takes longer for me to swype **** in as opposed to normally typing. I find it easy to type with one hand on an iPhone without a swype keyboard since the phone is relatively narrow.

rikscha
Jun 13, 2013, 12:47 PM
The keyboard has been the same since 2007 basically. The keyboard is extremely annoying in my opinion. It autocorrects very often words I actually intended to type. I would assume that they are working on something big in this area which is taking a long time to develop or Siri improves dramatically and gets 90-95% accuracy.

LeoNobilis
Jun 13, 2013, 01:09 PM

Features that Android does? I recall ShapeWriter, an app Swype-like text input app that in the early days of iOS, before the days of Swype, SlideIt and so on, was sold (initially free, it was later made into a paid app) on iTunes App Store.
I believe, there was nothing like it on Android at the time. Later the company was bought by Nuance and integrated into T9 / Swype, and pulled from the App Store.
Let's talk another character input app for a moment, Fleksy. It's an iOS-first app that's still in Beta on Android. In half a year, it will probably be Android-only, as the developers will have been fed up with Apple's unwavering resolve to continue blocking the app's entry to system. And there you have it: the iOS will slowly but surely become a gaming-only platform, a bad choice for the productivity-oriented lot (myself included).

It's not a matter of coveting Android features (for the sake of itself), but of insisting on practical functionality that Apple is known of making a point of shunning (and vindicating their resort) so very often. Apple does't exert itself nearly as much now, as its competitors do.

----------

The keyboard has been the same since 2007 basically. The keyboard is extremely annoying in my opinion. It autocorrects very often words I actually intended to type. I would assume that they are working on something big in this area which is taking a long time to develop or Siri improves dramatically and gets 90-95% accuracy.

It's exactly the same in the iOS7 beta as it is in any earlier iteration of the OS. Except, that is, the somewhat less polished look of the GUI.
Also, why is it "either …, or …" for iOS, when it's "both … AND … (depending on the user's whim)" on Android"! That is, broadly speaking, my main issue with the iOS.

Phoboss
Jun 16, 2013, 04:18 PM
I'm not debating against it - I'm debating the point that it's not the be all and end all.

I wouldn't be bothered if it came to iOS or not, I could never get to grips with it when I've tried it on numerous occasions (though iOS via jailbreak TouchPal, and though Android with Swype) I'm still faster typing rather than swyping.

I'm sure if it came to iOS I'd give it a try, and you never know, I might even prefer it to the normal keyboard, but it's not a feature that will stop my next phone being an iPhone.

Swiftkey... isn't a swype like input, but still way faster than the iOS keyboard/autocorrect.
Besides, using a new input method takes some time getting used to, and learning. You can't compare using the iOS keyboard for 3 years against using swype for 2 hours.

I don't need swype, they can even come up with something new, but the state the autocorrect is in now, is still '08.

kerrikins
Jun 16, 2013, 04:32 PM
I'd rather see enhancements to the current keyboard than swype, personally - I don't find it intuitive at all. That said, no reason Apple couldn't have one as an option for people who would find it useful.

chraos
Jun 16, 2013, 04:56 PM
it was suggested that perhaps iOS 7 will open up some APIs relating to the keyboard...such that a third party keyboard can be implemented system-wide. I personally don't see this happening as it's just not in Apple's nature to allow such a deep integration but who knows..Tim Cook's comments at D11 suggested that iOS would be opening up more APIs to devs so lets wait and see...check out this article:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/06/fleksy-page-suggests-that-ios-7-could-allow-third-party-keyboard-apps/

ajvizzgamer101
Jun 16, 2013, 05:11 PM
Liking a lot of iOS 7, not sure on the look yet, but I take it there's nothing done on the keyboard? No swype/trace type?

Any improvements on keyboard? I was really really hoping that a swype/trace keyboard, or an Apple version would come in iOS7 :(

Try Flesky.

Fed
Jun 16, 2013, 05:23 PM
The iOS7 keyboard is proving troublesome for me. Keep typing the wrong things and autocorrect isn't helping. Still hoping for SwiftKey :apple:

petsounds
Jun 16, 2013, 08:42 PM
I don't know about a Swype keyboard, but iOS's auto-completion sucks and always has. Sony's PS3 auto-completion is leagues better, which is pretty sad considering messaging is way down on the PS3's feature list as compared to iOS.

jmantn
Jun 16, 2013, 08:52 PM
If we get swype, I honestly wouldn't expect it to be announced at WWDC. If we get it then it will be announced with new apple hardware and last minute ios additions.

Sometimes they keep certain features out of the betas until GM.

maxosx
Jun 16, 2013, 08:55 PM
The distinct dangers of offering a gesture based keyboard like SWYPE are:

1) Too fast
2) Too accurate
3) Too efficient
4) Too much fun to use

Data points that spark fear within Infinite Loop.

sexiewasd
Jun 16, 2013, 09:47 PM
I'd just like some arrow keys, that is all that I need.

bitsoda
Jun 16, 2013, 10:30 PM
I feel like I'm the only one who types faster by tapping out letters with my thumbs than using a gesture-based keyboard like in Jelly Bean.

bertishere
Jun 16, 2013, 10:54 PM
swyping actually takes longer if you think about it.

say you wanna type 'the' with swype

you touch the 't', swype to the 'h' then to the 'e'

now say you wanna type 'the' with a regular keyboard

you type 't', your other thumb is already on 'h', so you hit 'h' and by the time you hit 'h', the thumb already moved over to 'e' and you quickly press that once you hit 'h'

think about it for a second. typing on a regular keyboard is actually faster.

now i wait for you fools to argue with me..

DJLC
Jun 16, 2013, 11:02 PM
I always felt like a swype keyboard was a little gimmicky. Granted, I've never used one in my daily life. It just seems easier, in my mind, to simply push the keys you want.

That said, it seems to me that autocorrect is a little bit better in iOS 7. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that, but whatever...

CallOfDuty
Jun 16, 2013, 11:27 PM
having an extra option of using Swype is nice, but I don't think I will ever use it. I find swype rather confusing and complicated to use at first.

Jordan921
Jun 17, 2013, 04:42 AM

My thoughts exactly. I have no issues with the keyboard being slow or having errors at all.

Phoboss
Jun 17, 2013, 04:10 PM
That said, it seems to me that autocorrect is a little bit better in iOS 7. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that, but whatever...

I've noticed that as well. We'll see what happens over the next couple months.

falconeight
Jun 17, 2013, 04:34 PM
Swype is a gimmick. Its cool to play with but thats it. I would rather iOS keep its smoothness and consistency. Android is where swype lives and it should stay there.

HCO
Jun 17, 2013, 04:44 PM
i really think they need to work on the safari keyboard with the .com and space bar soo close together before they mess with any kind of other keyboard. imo.

Badandy
Jun 17, 2013, 05:00 PM

I guarantee you'd be faster on SwiftKey. I'm going to get the next iPhone after being on Android for a little while and I'm really excited for everything except the keyboard. I've had every single iPhone and the stock keyboard, while solid, is not SwiftKey.

C DM
Jun 17, 2013, 08:46 PM
I'll never understand the obsession with ever higher pixel density. At some point, you are physically unable to distinguish individual pixels. And the iPhone's retina display has reached that point. There's really no point in increasing the current pixel density. More pixels add more strain to the processor and battery life is sparse on any mobile device, so why would you want to have more pixels?

Even big manufacturers like Samsung or HTC don't seem to understand that.

I agree though that I'd like to see the swype keyboard on the iPhone.Not quite what the thread is about, but there are enough people out there that can still see the pixels or at least their jagged effect with Retina pixel density. While there's no need to go higher and higher continuously, going somewhat beyond Retina certainly wouldn't hurt that much and would still have a noticeable improvement (less for some, somewhat more for others).

Mrg02d
Jun 17, 2013, 09:49 PM
I guarantee you'd be faster on SwiftKey. I'm going to get the next iPhone after being on Android for a little while and I'm really excited for everything except the keyboard. I've had every single iPhone and the stock keyboard, while solid, is not SwiftKey.

Swiftkey rocks. And for typing on the smallest keyboard around, its a no brainer.

Phoboss
Jun 18, 2013, 02:12 AM
I have a bad feeling about the upcoming iPhone release... Wouldn't be shocked if they'd announce a brilliant new keyboard which sadly because of the dated hardware in older models, won't work on any other device aside from the new iPhone 5S :D

US Marine
Jun 18, 2013, 09:07 PM
Swype is a gimmick. Its cool to play with but thats it. I would rather iOS keep its smoothness and consistency. Android is where swype lives and it should stay there.

Swype is much more than a gimmick. Having used it for quite some time, and having plenty of experience with iOS add well, I can tell you that it is much faster, easier, and less infuriating than pecking away at the iOS keyboard. I'm willing to bet you've not spent any considerable amount of time using Swype.

falconeight
Jun 18, 2013, 09:52 PM
Swype is much more than a gimmick. Having used it for quite some time, and having plenty of experience with iOS add well, I can tell you that it is much faster, easier, and less infuriating than pecking away at the iOS keyboard. I'm willing to bet you've not spent any considerable amount of time using Swype.

I've used it for over two years. I always go back to a normal keyboard.

US Marine
Jun 18, 2013, 10:07 PM
I've used it for over two years. I always go back to a normal keyboard.

Why did you use it for two years if you didn't like it? ;) Well anyway, as usual, YMMV. Swype is much better for me, and for a great number of other people as well. It may not be your cup of tea, but it can hardly be dismissed as a gimmick.

falconeight
Jun 18, 2013, 10:26 PM
Why did you use it for two years if you didn't like it? ;) Well anyway, as usual, YMMV. Swype is much better for me, and for a great number of other people as well. It may not be your cup of tea, but it can hardly be dismissed as a gimmick.

I used it off and on. Its a cool toy but thumb typing is faster and more accurate.

US Marine
Jun 19, 2013, 07:56 AM
Using Swype to type without really looking at the screen reminds me of the old days of T9 pocket texting with flip phones...hehe

Phoboss
Jun 19, 2013, 08:03 AM
Using Swype to type without really looking at the screen reminds me of the old days of T9 pocket texting with flip phones...hehe

always a very handy trick during exams ;)

eaglesteve
Jun 20, 2013, 06:16 PM
I love iOS over Android.

But no matter how perfect iOS has been redesigned in all other aspects, without Swype keyboard or similar I could only give it 70% mark. The other 30% would come when it is jailbroken and a system wide stable equivalent is installed.

Carlanga
Jun 20, 2013, 07:10 PM
swype is overhyped IMO.
I used it and though it was nice, but won't really make me type faster than normal keyboards.

DarwinOSX
Jun 21, 2013, 11:59 AM
A babyphone with a grotesquely impaired functionality both in soft- and hardware terms.

Silly statement in so many ways..why are you here then?

I was hoping that Apple would allow core functionality like keyboards to be replaced. I think it is a serious error not to in iOS 7. In the real world most people don't customize their phones either Android or iPhone. But there is enough of a critical mass that want to do this to make it possible.

I also don't like the thin font on iOS 7 including the keyboard. It's hard for me to see.

----------

swype is overhyped IMO.
I used it and though it was nice, but won't really make me type faster than normal keyboards.

It's a matter of opinion like anything else. Lots of people love it obviously.

----------

Not quite what the thread is about, but there are enough people out there that can still see the pixels or at least their jagged effect with Retina pixel density. While there's no need to go higher and higher continuously, going somewhat beyond Retina certainly wouldn't hurt that much and would still have a noticeable improvement (less for some, somewhat more for others).

I've never heard anyone say they see pixels on a retina display which is 326 pip and the human eye can't distinguish much beyond 300 pip. Maybe its lower quality icons they are seeing...I can however see Pixels on a blank screen of a Samsung Galaxy S4 because it's Amoled. Also that screen is uncalibrated, garish, and useless in sunlight.

fivedots
Jun 21, 2013, 01:10 PM
...and useless in sunlight.
Amen to that. Biggest issue I had with my S3. Couldn't see the screen the minute I walked out of the store.

C DM
Jun 21, 2013, 01:57 PM
Silly statement in so many ways..why are you here then?

I was hoping that Apple would allow core functionality like keyboards to be replaced. I think it is a serious error not to in iOS 7. In the real world most people don't customize their phones either Android or iPhone. But there is enough of a critical mass that want to do this to make it possible.

I also don't like the thin font on iOS 7 including the keyboard. It's hard for me to see.

----------

It's a matter of opinion like anything else. Lots of people love it obviously.

----------

I've never heard anyone say they see pixels on a retina display which is 326 pip and the human eye can't distinguish much beyond 300 pip. Maybe its lower quality icons they are seeing...I can however see Pixels on a blank screen of a Samsung Galaxy S4 because it's Amoled. Also that screen is uncalibrated, garish, and useless in sunlight.You might not have heard about it, but that doesn't really mean people can't. I can see them, and I personally know of a few others who can. That's in addition to there being enough posts about Retina where people have mentioned that they can see the pixels as well.

You have to keep in mind that we are generally talking about the average human eye, and since there are billions of people with many who will have eyesight that is at least slightly if not even largely different than the average, there will be some (of course not everyone, or even the majority) who will see it at 326 PPI.

However, as that number gets larger, it becomes harder (if not impossible) even for those people to make out the pixels. So, yes, there's of course a point where the vast majority, if not practically everyone, won't see it, and while 326 PPI is close to that, it's not quite that.

donnaw
Jun 21, 2013, 07:01 PM

Yes, I had Swype on my old WinMo phone several years ago. Before Android and maybe before iPhone. It's been too long to remember exactly when.