PDA

View Full Version : openOSx office VS. Thinkfree office


railthinner
Dec 18, 2002, 10:46 PM
Can anybody with experience give me their impressions regarding these two packages. I'm a web designer and the only thing I need Word for (preferably a non-MS substitute) is to open crappety crap text files people send me from their junkety junk pcs. (sorry bored)

Thanks in advance.

Macette
Dec 18, 2002, 11:34 PM
and while people in-the-know are answering, does anybody know if either of these programs has a spanish version?

railthinner
Dec 20, 2002, 01:33 PM
No one owns this software?

pgwalsh
Dec 20, 2002, 01:51 PM
I have a copy of OpenOffice, but not for OS X. It's still a beta version as far as I know. Maybe we're talking about different things. I think open office is a great program on my winblows box. I can open and save .doc files and .xls files.

Hope this answers your question.

robbieduncan
Dec 20, 2002, 02:03 PM
OO is Ok as long as you like X-Windows and don't mind if it crashes every so often. If you want a stable, native program then look elsewhere.

bousozoku
Dec 20, 2002, 02:16 PM
I really like ThinkFree Office and have had to use it with files from various versions of MS Word for Windows. There have been problems, possibly with Office XP, where ThinkFree Office claimed that there were things it couldn't translate. Still, the only think I noticed was with one document which had numbered lists...they all showed as 1.

The applications start a bit slow because the Java Virtual Machine is being initialised for the first time, but after that, everything is swift as if it was all native code. I'm quite impressed.

dricci
Dec 20, 2002, 02:17 PM
AppleWorks should open the majority of "basic" .doc files. Think Free office is native in Aqua, but I haven't used it since I was in OS 9, so it's been a while. Openoffice will be good on OS X one day, but for now it's only for people who really know what they're doing.

railthinner
Dec 20, 2002, 02:27 PM
I was hoping to here some raving reviews for OpenOffice honestly. I'm a bit concerned about the sluggishness of Java with Think Free's Office. I hadn't even thought about Apple Works. Haven't used it since my Performa days. How is it now?

I also like the look of OpenWeb. Any other comments on these OpenOSX products?

pgwalsh
Jan 27, 2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by railthinner
I was hoping to here some raving reviews for OpenOffice honestly. I'm a bit concerned about the sluggishness of Java with Think Free's Office. I hadn't even thought about Apple Works. Haven't used it since my Performa days. How is it now?

I also like the look of OpenWeb. Any other comments on these OpenOSX products? ThinkFree Office is dead slow on my computer. does anyone know tricks to speed it up? I have a g3 400 with 448mb ram, ati radeon 7000, and 10.2.3. Everying else seems to run really well.

janey
Jan 27, 2003, 07:52 PM
OpenOffice is great if you're an "experienced" computer user but note that it's still beta. ThinkFree kinda sucks. AppleWorks 6 is pretty good, I'm hoping 7 will be better and if you're looking for a replacement for Word, OpenOffice is probably your best bet (but it takes forever to download).

markeleven
Jan 27, 2003, 08:21 PM
I have used both on my Tangerine iBook running 10.2.3. while I like the interface of Think free better, it was slow loading and to work with. I am running Open OSX office on the same machine with apple's x11 beta and it is very snappy. I have had some printing problems but seem to have gotten over that hump. While the open OSX interface is not Mac spec it, works, will open the Docs you need as well as save them in a usable form for the winblows pppl that you need to send them to. I also use Apple works , but have some misgivings about the translators it uses and what they do to the documents that I create. I am hanging with Open OSx until Apple comes out with "Document' or something else better comes along.

jaykk
Jan 27, 2003, 08:51 PM
I dont know if this is posted anywhere - here is a rumor about apple's own Word killer from MacWhispers.com -
The new package, said to be named "Document," includes 100% import and export functionality with Microsoft Word files, but goes much farther than that venerable word processor has ever managed in giving the user a full-scope document development environment (a term used by one of our sources in describing the new product).

Reported:Apple's Microsoft Word Killer (http://www.macwhispers.com/0000009.html)

pgwalsh
Jan 27, 2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by übergeek
OpenOffice is great if you're an "experienced" computer user but note that it's still beta. ThinkFree kinda sucks. AppleWorks 6 is pretty good, I'm hoping 7 will be better and if you're looking for a replacement for Word, OpenOffice is probably your best bet (but it takes forever to download). Well, I'm now fed up with the pokiness of thinkfreee office. I tried installing OpenOffice, but couldn't get it to run. The file soffice in the program folder wasn't in the folder and the start openoffice script would start and just bring up a terminal window. I'm not Unix savvy and I tried to figure it out through different forums, but to no avail.
I guess I'm going to buy AppleWorks.

Sucks I bought ThinkFree Office. I can't return it to Fry's as they have a no software return policy.

cubist
Jan 27, 2003, 09:39 PM
AppleWorks 6.2's compatibility with .doc and .xls files is very limited. It would only be a good choice if you are generating the .doc and .xls files to send to the people. I doubt you'll be happy with it reading files others send you. I'm not.

OpenOffice on Winblows is very good. I think an Aqua version is in the works. Patience.

As for Document, it may well be like what we hear about Keynote: beautiful, but a work in progress; eventually it will be a world-beater.

pgwalsh
Jan 27, 2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by cubist
AppleWorks 6.2's compatibility with .doc and .xls files is very limited. It would only be a good choice if you are generating the .doc and .xls files to send to the people. I doubt you'll be happy with it reading files others send you. I'm not.

OpenOffice on Winblows is very good. I think an Aqua version is in the works. Patience.

As for Document, it may well be like what we hear about Keynote: beautiful, but a work in progress; eventually it will be a world-beater. Does AppleWorks support PDF output?