PDA

View Full Version : Are you using iOS 7 as a daily driver?

Pages : [1] 2

batting1000
Jun 11, 2013, 07:19 PM
Just curious...are you using iOS 7 as a daily driver on your main device(s)?

Feel free to explain below.

gmanist1000
Jun 11, 2013, 07:22 PM
Yes.

For beta 1, wow it's stable. There's of course occasional bugs but nothing too serious!

batting1000
Jun 11, 2013, 07:25 PM
Looking forward to a battery life fix. :)

gmanist1000
Jun 11, 2013, 07:26 PM

Doubt you'll see anything until the GM :p

rmeadejr
Jun 11, 2013, 07:28 PM

my battery is just about the same, but i hardly have any apps on my phone. (just page 1 has apps)

tylerbilld
Jun 11, 2013, 07:29 PM
I'm using this on my daily ride, after seeing how stable it was on my dev phone. This is far more stable than ios6 beta 1. I have had quite a few phone restarts, but they are SOOOO much faster than before that it seems like a minor inconvenience.

batting1000
Jun 11, 2013, 07:32 PM

I remember last year some of the betas had better battery life than the others. I hope they improve it throughout the beta period, seems like an issue so far in the dev forums.

maxosx
Jun 11, 2013, 07:35 PM
So far it's not bad. It's really just a matter of ignoring the colors, until they just blend into the background like anything else new. Conversely I find the notifications are as nice as those on my Nexus 4. Apple's now on the right track.

batting1000
Jun 11, 2013, 07:39 PM
Lots of people using this. Interesting. I personally really like the new UI and prefer it over iOS 6. Once all the graphical and battery kinks are worked out, it'll be really great.

OneMike
Jun 11, 2013, 07:43 PM
Yep. Daily driver. So far so good.

212rikanmofo
Jun 11, 2013, 08:07 PM
Yes, surprisingly stable for a beta 1 release. I'm loving it and can't wait to see it getting refined all the way until a GM release.

batting1000
Jun 11, 2013, 09:07 PM
Yes, surprisingly stable for a beta 1 release. I'm loving it and can't wait to see it getting refined all the way until a GM release.

Looking forward to this as well.

\-V-/
Jun 11, 2013, 09:11 PM
Yep. :) A few bugs here and there and definitely needs some speed/ui tweaks... but that will come in time. Like others have said, it's a surprisingly stable beta.

My battery life is actually considerably better. My phone did not like 6.1.4.

Azadre
Jun 11, 2013, 09:16 PM
I used it on my 4S but it was slower than I could bear for anything other than testing.

KamiQuazi
Jun 11, 2013, 09:34 PM
I use it daily! Battery is terrible.

Robboftw
Jun 11, 2013, 09:56 PM
Yep. No problems so far (which surprised me to be honest).

Very impressed as well. The perfect blend of all the mobile operating systems, just about.

PNutts
Jun 11, 2013, 10:09 PM
It's going to be hit or miss for folks depending on what they need and if it's broken (both native iOS 7 and third party app incompatibility).

Rogifan
Jun 11, 2013, 10:21 PM
Interesting that people who are using it on a daily basis don't seem to hate it.

mainevent1536
Jun 11, 2013, 10:22 PM
Interesting that people who are using it on a daily basis don't seem to hate it.

Think it speaks to the fact that you can't evaluate something through screenshots or touching it once.

AlphaDogg
Jun 11, 2013, 10:23 PM
I love it! There are quite a few glitches at this point, which is to be expected from a first beta, but overall it's pretty damn awesome!

batting1000
Jun 11, 2013, 10:23 PM
Think it speaks to the fact that you can't evaluate something through screenshots or touching it once.

This.

boobie12
Jun 11, 2013, 10:24 PM
Yep at first I thought I wouldn't but using it I can not go back to ios6, yea some icons I dislike but the overall new interface is lovely. Screenshots do it no justice. You need to use this to see why.

Liberachi86
Jun 11, 2013, 10:27 PM
Yeah it's great, people need to stop hating

Rogifan
Jun 11, 2013, 10:32 PM
Yep at first I thought I wouldn't but using it I can not go back to ios6, yea some icons I dislike but the overall new interface is lovely. Screenshots do it no justice. You need to use this to see why.

I wish there was a way that could be better communicated. Hopefully MR will put up a post on their front page that has feedback from those who are using it extensively. That's the kind of information I want. Not knee jerk reactions based on screen shots or app icon design comparisons.

boobie12
Jun 11, 2013, 10:35 PM
I wish there was a way that could be better communicated. Hopefully MR will put up a post on their front page that has feedback from those who are using it extensively. That's the kind of information I want. Not knee jerk reactions based on screen shots or app icon design comparisons.
Yea man I'm loving this. Even this minor bugs aren't upsetting me. Have you been using it as your daily driver?

djzapp
Jun 11, 2013, 10:42 PM
Some graphical issues and battery is not as good (iPhone 4S). Over all very sleek. Really digging iTunes Radio.

BigB82
Jun 11, 2013, 10:46 PM
Daily business and personal phone, I am on it 24/7 doing everything, I noticed the following:

pics through photos app to text or imessage is obviously an issue

battery life a huge issue

occasional restarts

photos app has lots of bugs i.e. cant go back from the Collections Moments Years, have to restart app

Fonts and spacing is way off all over

Keyboard works in some places older one is present in others

Is it me or does the camera take better pics on this new OS?

Instagram gray pic issues

Plenty of other issues others have discussed but as many said, for a beta 1 its pretty darn good and will only get better.

The sliding bar for answering calls and unlocking screen is there but transparent t in a way, will they keep it like that? I feel like these are some good things but MAY confuse the older crowd thats finally comfy and use to iphone OS

batting1000
Jun 11, 2013, 10:46 PM
Some graphical issues and battery is not as good (iPhone 4S). Over all very sleek. Really digging iTunes Radio.

I love iTunes Radio as well.

gmanist1000
Jun 11, 2013, 10:47 PM
Daily business and personal phone, I am on it 24/7 doing everything, I noticed the following:

pics through photos app to text or imessage is obviously an issue

battery life a huge issue

occasional restarts

photos app has lots of bugs i.e. cant go back from the Collections Moments Years, have to restart app

Fonts and spacing is way off all over

Is it me or does the camera take better pics on this new OS?

Instagram gray pic issues

Plenty of other issues others have discussed but as many said, for a beta 1 its pretty darn good and will only get better.

The sliding bar for answering calls and unlocking screen is there but transparent t in a way, will they keep it like that? I feel like these are some good things but MAY confuse the older crowd thats finally comfy and use to iphone OS

Sounds like everything you should expect with beta software :p

iamthekiller
Jun 11, 2013, 10:48 PM
I use it daily! Battery is terrible.

You literally can not possibly use something "daily" that has existed for barely over 24 hours.

Chairman Plow
Jun 11, 2013, 10:50 PM
Even with the occasional hiccups mentioned already, it's surprisingly smooth. I like it and will keep it as my daily until I need to change it.

shooter03
Jun 11, 2013, 10:59 PM
I'm loving it. Battery seems about the same for me. Few little glitches but for a beta it's smooth and pretty stable. It's only gonna get better from here. I can't really see myself going back to iOS 6 unless future betas really mess something up.

mac00l
Jun 11, 2013, 11:05 PM
Yeah I do.

For being a beta is amazingly stable. Most bugs are on the non-critical path.

IT companies should put an eye on how Apple do things. A shame that a beta is far more stable than final releases from other companies.

applematic
Jun 11, 2013, 11:06 PM
This is a set up as new phone with minimal apps installed.

Used it for GPS 49 miles back and forth with spotify. Some phone calling. Lots of texts and emails.

The new UI is great. Even as a beta it is way more functional than 6.1.4.

No unexpected restarts for me although it did have a tough time in the dialer a few times. Power cycled and it was fine. Battery life is atrocious. Charged it twice. But. After all it is a beta.

For a beta it's more stable than most finalized android os's

Can't wait for the iPad versions to be released as well as what they have in store for the final release. If anything...

dictoresno
Jun 11, 2013, 11:13 PM
I am too. The only real gripe I have is find my iPhone not working and I can't download the new beta in the dev center. Besides that, everything else works for day to day use for me. And that's besides the small bugs and battery drain issue.

travisbrowning
Jun 11, 2013, 11:44 PM
Yup! And loving it. Very stable for beta 1. Battery drains a bit faster but it gets me through the day well enough. Very happy.

sawah
Jun 11, 2013, 11:58 PM
Daily driver here so far also. Seen one springboard refresh. Couple glitches in the messaging app. iTunes radio I love and over all the new interface is appealing to me. Battery seems a bit iffy but I'm near a charger all day. GPS seems to randomly do what it wants. Animations seem a little slow. Overall I love it and plan on keeping it.

Jordan921
Jun 12, 2013, 12:03 AM
Yup using it on my main phone and not having any major issues.

dt808
Jun 12, 2013, 12:31 AM
Definitely want to try it out, but before I do..

Can anyone confirm that whatsapp is working on iOS7? All my damn friends use it to communicate.

Thanks!

ek9max
Jun 12, 2013, 12:38 AM
Day one done. Stock apps are great. 3rd party apps crash a lot.

My advice is not to use it if you depends on a lot of apps.

Patriot24
Jun 12, 2013, 12:48 AM
All aboard!

Loving what I've seen so far.

rrares1996
Jun 12, 2013, 12:51 AM
I would but it is almost unuseable on iphone 4.

The13thDoctor
Jun 12, 2013, 12:53 AM
Waiting for a future beta. As the battery life gets fixed, I'll probably upgrade.

Bigboibbp
Jun 12, 2013, 12:55 AM
yep. had some troubles earlier, but after a few settings resets and network resets its up and running and quite stable.

tmanto02
Jun 12, 2013, 12:55 AM
My one and only iPhone is on iOS 7... Love it already!

ontheplains
Jun 12, 2013, 01:00 AM
I've had it going for a day and minus a few inconsequential app crashes and (quick) restarts, along with a few hiccups when opening apps, it's gone quite well for me. I enjoy 7 enough already that I'm willing to put up with that kind of stuff until it gets better. I may go back at some point, but certainly haven't found a reason to yet.

MaxMike
Jun 12, 2013, 01:00 AM
First time using an iOS Beta and I am pleased with iOS7. Stability doesn't seem to be a horrible issue, although small things like Messages not scrolling to the very bottom an inconsistencies among some apps (FaceBook and Twitter seem to load a new top bar, but then it switches to the old style), but I don't expect all apps to work perfectly with an iOS that isn't officially released yet. Battery seems to be about what 6.1.4 offered on my iPhone 5 so that's not a big issue. Loving Control Center and the updated UI, as the old one was getting a little long in the tooth. One thing I'd prefer is faster animations like when unlocking to the home screen since they can take an extra moment or two that I'm not used to. Also would like the Tweet button back in the Notification Center since I became so accustomed to it, but I I can cope with opening the app. The app waiting problem that people have been experiencing haven't happened much (with 5 apps yesterday and one today) so it's not horrible, and I only had like one springboard crash although that was with me playing with it constantly. Can't wait to see what else is to come until the fall.

bbfc
Jun 12, 2013, 01:02 AM
I am.

I've had very few issues with it, aside from what's already been reported. Now that I've got iMessage working, I'm sticking with it.

Love the new UI and subtle animations. Safari is much improved also.

The next few betas will be quite substantial I think, to fix all the issues. Looking forward to beta 2!

nfl46
Jun 12, 2013, 03:20 AM
Yes, it's my daily driver!

The Tos
Jun 12, 2013, 07:11 AM
Yes, I am using it daily as well. Besides the aforementioned bugs, my only issue is the battery. My battery life has been spotty at best. I feel like sometimes it drains very fast and others its stable. I watched the battery go from 57-47 just from switching applications. I tried running the battery down to cycle it and the phone dies around 16-14%. It turns off and displays the image of the battery needing to be plugged in. As soon as I plug it in, the phone turns on and is operational again. So all in all, this is a very stable beta from my past experiences. Looking forward to a great new UI and new OS.

NM08SRT8
Jun 12, 2013, 07:15 AM
Installed last night from Apples site. So far, no overheating issues.. Runs smoothly. Did a iCloud restore and some apps didn't Install, so imaging to retry them again. Other than that, I love it! This will be my first day DD it, so I will report back periodically today with updates.

recklesslife85
Jun 12, 2013, 07:23 AM
Good for me so far but did have a massive battery drain but seems to have stopped. Some of the colouring choices on the stock icons annoy me but hopefully they'll tone them down in time.. hopefully!

Cant really complain though, its very usable as a daily driver.

outlawarth
Jun 12, 2013, 07:39 AM
Very impressed and usable. Especially considering that this is the first beta. No battery issues whatsoever, similar usage or dare I say tad better than 6. Looking forward to more betas!

Jmacman78
Jun 12, 2013, 07:41 AM
I've been using it and noticed quite a few quirks, nothing major. My battery life has been fine though it's only been a couple days.

My only real issue is a couple apps I use somewhat regularly are not currently working. I do enjoy the improvements so far and I don't really want to go back to iOS6 and lose them now. I guess I'll play it by ear and if I start having a lot more issues or I find I need those non-working apps, I'll go back.

bearda
Jun 12, 2013, 08:17 AM

I get the impression that if someone saw the screenshots and previews and hated it right off the bat they probably wouldn't install it on a daily phone in the first place. Most of the people who are going to try it on their primary phone are already predisposed to like it.

Ann P
Jun 12, 2013, 08:21 AM
My battery life took a hit, removed it.

batting1000
Jun 12, 2013, 08:40 AM
Interesting poll results. Keep it going. :)

applelover1016
Jun 12, 2013, 07:05 PM
Been using it since it released I'm not having the battery drains at all a couple of lags here and there but no major problems so far

ucfgrad93
Jun 12, 2013, 07:30 PM
I'm still using some version of iOS 5.

jjlannoo
Jun 12, 2013, 07:33 PM
Running daily on a 4. Really the only big issue is keyboard lag that comes and goes.

pottyvick
Jun 12, 2013, 07:40 PM
I have it installed on my 4s (which is my only phone)... While i plan to run it as my daily for the next couple days i dont think i will keep Beta 1. Its a little more sluggish then i can bear. Hoping a couple days of use fixes that (although, from past ios, thats usually not the case).

Silvereel
Jun 12, 2013, 07:53 PM
I'll likely install the iPad version on my iPad when it comes out, provided there are no serious issues. For my iPhone, I'm waiting for a version with a few battery life improvements.

yagrax
Jun 13, 2013, 02:23 PM
On iPhone 4S...

Used it since Tuesday.

Lots of bugs, saw most on the lists from search "ios7.0 bugs". My #1 is : Unable to see all of calendar event notes which is really annoying and detremental to my day job as my office uses Lync for calendar event creation and using Lync app is somewhat inconvenient sometimes.

Whole OS crashed 3 times yesterday. Also have had to kill unresponsive core apps such as phone and calendar.

Slow keyboard response time. Hate the colors. Phone heats up, battery life horrible, had to plug in around noon, usually don't have to until bedtime. Left/right swipe on Safari only works with left index finger (I don't know why, maybe the swipe sensitivity is messed up in their code), not right thumb - which is how you have to do it since they removed that bottom bar (or touch top bar and THEN use bottom bar, incovenient).

I do like the improvements they did make, mark all, call a message contact, etc.

Switched back to 6.1.3 just now. This was my 1st install of beta os, so this all may be "typical". Hope apple corrects a lot of these issues.

Might just be 4S. Users here should also tell you what device they have this on.

Nostalgia
Jun 13, 2013, 02:31 PM
Yes.

I mean, overall i can live with all visible bugs. My only deal breaker is indeed the battery but im not willing to give up ios7 for ios6 ahahah

jaykk
Jun 13, 2013, 02:36 PM
Phone functionality in iPhone is the most buggy part. The voicemail is the worst, if you have more than a few voice mails stored, it takes forever to even responds to a simple selection. I am using 4S.

At least they should have tested phone part in an iPhone, even for alpha build.

TG1
Jun 13, 2013, 03:14 PM
Yes. I'm missing my Google+ and my banking app, but otherwise I'm doing fine. I do love to experiment with new tech so I will tolerate a few glitches.

Patriot24
Jun 13, 2013, 03:30 PM
I've been running the beta since day one, but yesterday was a pretty solid test, as I was traveling and using my phone as my main device for the day.

Battery life is not the greatest, but not bad for a beta
iMessages didn't receive some messages. This was bad since I was traveling.
Most typical functions worked fine
Control Center is the greatest thing since sliced bread when you're in the airport/on planes. Not having to unlock the device to flip to airplane mode? Priceless
Overall the phone seems much faster, probably due to apps not being suspended like before. Switching between apps is lightning fast.
The music app has a strange bug where the audio is slightly lower when a song starts and then comes up to your set volume after 4-5 seconds.
The ability to swipe back in Mail and Safari saves a lot of reaches to the top/bottom of the screen to hit back
Calendar is superb
Freedom to swipe anywhere on the lock screen to unlock is actually very nice. No more worrying about hitting the smaller target from before
Automatic app updates has removed my nervous itch to constantly check the store for updates. I am a big fan of this, though they probably need to allow devs to put a stop to auto updates if it is a major revision. Point releases only?
Desparity between Apple's stock icons and 3rd party apps is obvious and annoying. Time will solve this issue
The camera is stupid fast. I had to whip my phone out at one point and couldn't believe how fast it loaded up and how quickly I could take multiple shots
PhotoStream is not working on the device (photos taken by the camera are not automatically pushed to the stream).
I have only had one instance of crashing after several days. No biggie.

More to come...

apollo1444
Jun 13, 2013, 03:38 PM
it is very usable but battery life is still an issue, but I will keep it. I can't go back to the dullness

and by the way can't wait for apps to get updated the old keyboard present in some apps now looks to me uuuuuuglyy

zbarvian
Jun 13, 2013, 03:43 PM
I haven't had any crashes but this is a VERY rough beta. Almost everything is glitchy, laggy, or buggy. Things jerk around randomly, animations stutter, it's not a great experience at this point.

virginblue4
Jun 13, 2013, 03:52 PM
Using it as a daily driver on my iPhone, I can hardly tell its a beta, it's fantastically stable!

Patriot24
Jun 13, 2013, 04:06 PM
I haven't had any crashes but this is a VERY rough beta. Almost everything is glitchy, laggy, or buggy. Things jerk around randomly, animations stutter, it's not a great experience at this point.

What device are you testing on? I haven't had this experience at all on my iPhone 5.

jrswizzle
Jun 13, 2013, 04:08 PM
I would love to test it on my iP5, but would rather be safe, especially given my iPhone 5 is my work phone (company paid line, personally bought phone).

Gonna throw it on my iPhone 4S!

zbarvian
Jun 13, 2013, 04:20 PM
What device are you testing on? I haven't had this experience at all on my iPhone 5.

My 5. You must have access to a different beta, because beta 1 is very wonky.

virginblue4
Jun 13, 2013, 04:50 PM
My 5. You must have access to a different beta, because beta 1 is very wonky.

I disagree and from looking at this thread, you are in the minority. Beta 1 is a fantastically stable beta!

batting1000
Jun 13, 2013, 04:57 PM
I disagree and from looking at this thread, you are in the minority. Beta 1 is a fantastically stable beta!

I wouldn't say fantastically but yes, it's fairly stable for the first beta.

NewYork88
Jun 13, 2013, 05:01 PM
My first smart phone was a HTC Droid Eris and this Beta is a 100 times better than Android on that phone ! For Beta1 I'd say it's pretty good.

macfrik
Jun 13, 2013, 05:02 PM
Tried it for a day, used Whatsapp most of the time and I feel like the bug is killing the app itself. Switched back to iOS 6 and lets be patient:)

virginblue4
Jun 13, 2013, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't say fantastically but yes, it's fairly stable for the first beta.

For me, I would say fantastically. I cannot tell I'm using a beta other than very slightly reduced battery life.

champagnepapi
Jun 13, 2013, 05:11 PM
I do. Fortunately all the apps I use on a daily basis works. There was one that didn't, but I can't even remember which one.

wordoflife
Jun 13, 2013, 05:13 PM
I'm still using some version of iOS 5.

Same here. Didn't really like the graphical changes of iOS 6, or the fact that they out Google Maps. And the features werent really appealing either. So I just stayed on iOS 5. I think I'll keep my 4S on iOS 5 until I get a new phone. Perfectly happy with it.

Only downside is that I'm losing about a gigabyte of space because the iOS 6 package is downloaded on my phone through automatic updates.

zbarvian
Jun 13, 2013, 05:24 PM

In terms of crashing? Yes, I've only had one crash so far. But the UI is pretty janky; its fidgety, it's not as snappy as iOS 6, and it's definitely a first beta.

virginblue4
Jun 13, 2013, 05:50 PM
In terms of crashing? Yes, I've only had one crash so far. But the UI is pretty janky; its fidgety, it's not as snappy as iOS 6, and it's definitely a first beta.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just giving my personal experience.

No lag, seems just as fast as iOS 6. Some of the animations seem to take a while, but that's how they are meant to be, it's not a bug of the beta.

Sirious
Jun 13, 2013, 06:06 PM
I'm using it as my daily driver and I'm enjoying every minute of it minus the small bugs.

dt808
Jun 13, 2013, 06:14 PM
Daily driver here, minor bugs here and there, but it's to be expected as it's first beta.

Definitely enjoying it!

C DM
Jun 13, 2013, 06:18 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just giving my personal experience.

No lag, seems just as fast as iOS 6. Some of the animations seem to take a while, but that's how they are meant to be, it's not a bug of the beta.Hopefully it is a "bug", at least a design one, and the animations will be scaled down/sped up in future betas (and final release).

bubba8704
Jun 13, 2013, 07:37 PM
Running as DD since 6/11 at 11AM local time.

Great beta overall. Battery life issue, graphics/text not lining up correctly, a few flame outs on older apps, but remarkably usable and stable.

Two thumbs up, Apple.

SantaRosa2.2
Jun 13, 2013, 08:06 PM
I've been using it as the daily phone since the 11th. No real problems animations are a bit jerky at times. EBay and CNN crash. All other apps working fine.

Battery life was horrific on the first day, but I was using a bit more than normal.

Did a hard reset and now the battery life is just the same as it was on iOS 6.

DoctorFedora
Jun 13, 2013, 08:22 PM
Spent a day with it so far. Everything about it is lovely, though there's some instability (it really doesn't like folders in the dock!) and there are a few bugs that do annoy (the dictionary definitions pop-up being impossible to dismiss is annoying, but the complete inability to type Japanese text on there might be a deal-breaker for the time being)

chekz0414
Jun 13, 2013, 08:52 PM
Yes I am running this beta on my iPod touch 5th generation, this is my 3rd year as an Apple Developer, I know what to expect, usually any chances for a change would come with beta 2, Beta 2 is practically done, as it was previewed during WWDC, note the stability, and the new Siri voice demoed.

kerrikins
Jun 13, 2013, 08:56 PM
Using it daily here... Sitting at 4 hours 3 minutes usage, 11 hours 44 minutes standby and I'm at 16% battery. Definitely lower battery life than normal, but that's to be expected..

There's some lagginess and some apps freeze up and I don't like the jerkiness that sometimes pops up in the phone section specifically, but everything else is working pretty well. :)

batting1000
Jun 13, 2013, 08:59 PM
Beta 2 is practically done, as it was previewed during WWDC, note the stability, and the new Siri voice demoed.

Yeah, that's interesting. Do you think it'll be out earlier than 2 weeksbecause of that?

zerostar
Jun 13, 2013, 09:30 PM
As soon as I played with it on our Dev phone (4S) I loaded it onto my 5, been great! Only big bug for me is reminders... hoping they fix that bug in the next beta :-) very stable for a beta 1 and after turning off app updated and background crap battery is fine.

----------

Yeah, that's interesting. Do you think it'll be out earlier than 2 weeksbecause of that?

I don't think so, nothing major to stop developers on 1 right now to rush it. At least IMO, but I'll take B2 now if they want to drop it :-)

KAB2010
Jun 13, 2013, 09:36 PM
Just got the beta on my iPhone 5, my only phone. It works surprisingly well. My only complaint so far is the animations need to be sped up a little.

darkfiber
Jun 13, 2013, 10:08 PM
As excited as I am for the new features I will wait for the GM (as I have for previous releases) before I install it on my iPhone 4S. A stable and fully working iPhone is very important for me.

chrf097
Jun 13, 2013, 11:27 PM
I'm currently using it as a daily driver, but I'm debating keeping it on.

I can't decide if I want to use it right now. I'm leaning more towards the side of removing it, and waiting for a future beta.

nStyle
Jun 13, 2013, 11:35 PM
Absolutely not. At this point in time, nothing can beat the functionality of the current official software in terms of speed and battery life. I understand many are getting mixed results battery wise but my battery was impacted over 30%.

Couple this with many app compatibility issues, and it's just not ready for prime time yet.

Retina13
Jun 13, 2013, 11:55 PM
Had it for about 12 hours and its perfectly fine. (Verizon iPhone 4s 16gb). Hardly a difference in battery drainage and obviously their are some bugs and lag but overall I use it as a daily and I'm going to keep it until Beta 2 or until the fall. love it so far

TexasChemE
Jun 14, 2013, 12:49 AM
I originally was going to try out the beta for a day or so; then go back down to iOS 6. But the beta is so surprisingly smooth (compared to previous betas), I decided to keep it and use it as my daily driver

mchart
Jun 14, 2013, 12:59 AM
Had to go back today. Just couldn't deal with it anymore. Expected as much before hand anyways so it's no big deal. The animation times between doing things takes way longer then it should. This isn't device lag, but they've made the run time for the transition animations longer then they need to be. Kills functionality. Battery life, no matter how many things I shut off is just worse as well.

All good though, it's Beta 1.

Tander
Jun 14, 2013, 01:04 AM
My banking apps don't work under the new OS - so I have downgraded back to iOS 6 until the work. I do have another iPhone 4s to run it on though.

dontpannic
Jun 14, 2013, 01:04 AM
On iPhone 4S...

Used it since Tuesday.

Lots of bugs, saw most on the lists from search "ios7.0 bugs". My #1 is : Unable to see all of calendar event notes which is really annoying and detremental to my day job as my office uses Lync for calendar event creation and using Lync app is somewhat inconvenient sometimes.

Whole OS crashed 3 times yesterday. Also have had to kill unresponsive core apps such as phone and calendar.

Slow keyboard response time. Hate the colors. Phone heats up, battery life horrible, had to plug in around noon, usually don't have to until bedtime. Left/right swipe on Safari only works with left index finger (I don't know why, maybe the swipe sensitivity is messed up in their code), not right thumb - which is how you have to do it since they removed that bottom bar (or touch top bar and THEN use bottom bar, incovenient).

I do like the improvements they did make, mark all, call a message contact, etc.

Switched back to 6.1.3 just now. This was my 1st install of beta os, so this all may be "typical". Hope apple corrects a lot of these issues.

Might just be 4S. Users here should also tell you what device they have this on.

It's a beta! What did you expect, a fully functioning OS released to developers 3 months before the public release?

This is the reason why non-devs should not be running the beta!

Luuthian
Jun 14, 2013, 01:17 AM
Been using this as my daily driver since the day it was available and I don't regret it.

Using an iP5 and have had virtually no problems or reductions in battery life. The OS is generally liquid smooth. Faster than iOS6 even.

It sucks I can't use my eBay app and the app store always bugs me once to "retry" a download before it works, but these are minor gripes. For me it's plenty useable and I'll never go back.

Sounds to me like the majority of users having problems are iP4S users and I'd attribute that to a lack of optimization, among other things.

mirzank
Jun 14, 2013, 01:55 AM
yep using it as a daily driver on 4s. trying to crash apps through multitasking crashes my phone and restarts. ebay doesnt work. Skype chat doesn't work.
switching apps is slow. battery life is the worst ever. first day of upgrade i had like 3-4 hours. since then its gotten better but doesn't get further than 7-8 hours. much worse than 6.1.3.

but i'm sticking to ios 7. mainly because i like it and i'm too lazy to downgrade.

RhythmGuru
Jun 14, 2013, 07:32 AM
Daily driver, yes. Biggest issue right now on my iPhone 5 is battery life. Very inconsistent. My other problem is that I like it so much that I don't want to go back to 6. Will carry my charger with me just to be safe.

The Tos
Jun 14, 2013, 07:53 AM
Daily driver, yes. Biggest issue right now on my iPhone 5 is battery life. Very inconsistent. My other problem is that I like it so much that I don't want to go back to 6. Will carry my charger with me just to be safe.

I feel exactly the same way. Its working good on my iP5, just the battery is up and down.

bad03xtreme
Jun 14, 2013, 08:41 AM
I have a developer account but I am scared to put it onto my iPhone5 but and the only other device I have is an iPad and I can't try it on that yet.

bushido
Jun 14, 2013, 08:44 AM
yes no problems, either i "use" the wrong things or i am just lucky because i havent had a crash or reboot yet and its been 3 days and i'm on my phone for hours a day. just some occasionally bugs but they dont really bother me so far minus the battery life

patrikr
Jun 14, 2013, 01:49 PM
Yep, using it as a daily driver. No major issues, just some minor annoyances here and there. For example, I can't select a song from my music library as the Alarm sound and sometimes the keyboard locks up but for a beta 1 it's pretty darn solid. Note that I did a clean install, I don't trust the upgrades for the betas :)

Taek
Jun 14, 2013, 02:30 PM
Yes on my personal 5, have it on a few devices at work in our QA without issues as well.

Looking forward to the Ipad versions.

Bacong
Jun 14, 2013, 04:08 PM
For now. Not sure if/when I'll go back.

YeahBuddy
Jun 14, 2013, 04:24 PM
Have been using it since Tuesday, and I'm loving it. The thought of restoring to 6.1.4 has not once popped into my head. (iPhone 5)

itismadhan
Jun 14, 2013, 04:55 PM
How are 3rd party apps in general holding up? Tweetbot, whatsapp, facebook etc?

rmeadejr
Jun 14, 2013, 04:59 PM

tweetbot works good. Facebook is good also

batting1000
Jun 14, 2013, 05:09 PM

And I've heard Whatsapp works fine

iamthekiller
Jun 14, 2013, 10:35 PM
I can't imagine using a beta 1 on my phone. There are reports of terrible battery life, the PHONE APP crashing (don't care if there's an emergency?), alarms not going off (don't you have a job?), the OS crashing entirely, etc. Yikes. It must be nice to have no responsibility or worries that you don't need to rely on your phone.

boogieman
Jun 14, 2013, 10:43 PM
Not had time to post but could someone please see if their smart playlist are staying in alphabetical order? For example the songs are still in order? I know that sounds crazy but when their not it drives me crazy!!

Patriot24
Jun 14, 2013, 10:45 PM
I can't imagine using a beta 1 on my phone. There are reports of terrible battery life, the PHONE APP crashing (don't care if there's an emergency?), alarms not going off (don't you have a job?), the OS crashing entirely, etc. Yikes. It must be nice to have no responsibility or worries that you don't need to rely on your phone.

Such reports appear to be exaggerated. I just looked at my call log - I put in nearly 30 hours since Monday and had zero issues with the phone app.

I have had one crash in 4 days of extended use. I rely on my phone for my job every day.

Certainly there are issues, but this is the most stable beta I've ever tested.

rmeadejr
Jun 14, 2013, 10:52 PM
i have had the beta on my phone since monday. for my experience it is a great beta.

no battery issues, unplug my phone at 8 this morning, almost 13 hours later i am up to 18% battery left. plus i haven't turned anything off.

my iMessage worked right at the start.

my phone and voicemail app hasn't crashed.

very little lag, which i can live with.

i feel for the people who are having issues.

only thing that worries me is, when beta 2 comes out it won't mess everything up.

plus my app on the app store works with iOS 7...lol

alphaod
Jun 14, 2013, 10:57 PM
No major issues except on some third-party apps. Mine works though :D

Battery life has improved. Occasionally my screen goes blank (no icons, only background)—sleep and wake fixes this. Half my dock is translucent (frosted glass) and the other half is transparent. I think these two are UI glitches.

Really nothing is bad, just the colors and new gestures will take some time getting used to.

Russiaone
Jun 15, 2013, 01:46 AM

This. Even if I have to stick with this buggy first beta... there's no going back for me. I love the new direction iOS has taken- not a huge leap, mind you, but new. What i love especially, for some reason, is the new way of unlocking.

I feel like a Jill Valentine.

batting1000
Jun 15, 2013, 03:08 PM
This. Even if I have to stick with this buggy first beta... there's no going back for me. I love the new direction iOS has taken- not a huge leap, mind you, but new. What i love especially, for some reason, is the new way of unlocking.

I feel like a Jill Valentine.

Same. I like the look too much to go back.

Tmelon
Jun 15, 2013, 03:20 PM
Yep. Been using it since the day it came out. It's got a buttload of bugs, but that's to be expected from a beta 1.

dopeytree
Jun 15, 2013, 04:06 PM
Yep I love it. Its a hell of a lot more stable than the ios6 betas. Only problems I've encountered are with shazam & snapchat but I can live without those for a while. Also the battery on my iphone5 seems to go down fairly fast but I'm using my phone more with ios7. We'll have to wait & see how it fairs at some music festivals in a few weeks.

CalmEnvy
Jun 15, 2013, 04:58 PM
I was up until the point when I found out that the app for CIBC wouldn't work and would hang all the time. I'll be waiting till the final build. Love the OS but CIBC not working is a big deal so I'm in the progress of downgrading to 6.1.3 right now.

tim100
Jun 15, 2013, 07:33 PM
is there a way to go back from a developers beta to public release when ios7 is released this fall? can updates to the beta and/or update to gold master be done over the phone or must it be done on itunes on a mac?

batting1000
Jun 15, 2013, 07:35 PM
is there a way to go back from a developers beta to public release when ios7 is released this fall? can updates to the beta and/or update to gold master be done over the phone or must it be done on itunes on a mac?

Once iOS 7 is released, previous version of iOS will no longer be signed by Apple and therefore you won't be able to go back.

tim100
Jun 15, 2013, 07:41 PM
Once iOS 7 is released, previous version of iOS will no longer be signed by Apple and therefore you won't be able to go back.

what i meant was how do you go from i os 7 beta to iOS 7 public release?

batting1000
Jun 15, 2013, 07:56 PM
what i meant was how do you go from i os 7 beta to iOS 7 public release?

Depends. If the GM seed is the same as the official release, you won't have to do anything. If the GM seed is different than the official release, you'll get an OTA update.

blasto2236
Jun 15, 2013, 11:46 PM

Are you sure that's not just in your 3rd party apps? I haven't seen any inconsistencies with the keyboard within any of the baked in apps.

AlphaDeuce
Jun 16, 2013, 12:35 AM
Nope.

I just use iOS 7 on a pilot phone at work to test internal apps and commercial apps that we use department wide.

If I could install iOS 7 on my personal phone, then I would.

tim100
Jun 16, 2013, 09:32 AM
do developers get ota updates (directly on iPhone) or is it all when iphone is plugged in to itunes and updates are downloaded from iTunes? is the gm ota?

tim100
Jun 16, 2013, 12:39 PM
do developers get ota updates (directly on iPhone) or is it all when iphone is plugged in to itunes and updates are downloaded from iTunes? is the gm ota?

can anyone provide information regarding developer updates either thru itunes or ota?

rmeadejr
Jun 16, 2013, 12:42 PM
can anyone provide information regarding developer updates either thru itunes or ota?

last year we got update through both iTunes and OTA.

Defender2010
Jun 16, 2013, 12:46 PM
Depends. If the GM seed is the same as the official release, you won't have to do anything. If the GM seed is different than the official release, you'll get an OTA update.

That is not entirely true...if the build number of the GM is different than the (later) build number of the public release and both are called iOS 7.0, it will not show up as an over the air update. It will say "your software is up to date" - as you are currently running the iOS 7.0 GM. It will not give another update for a newer build number, so a restore and backup from restore in iTunes is the only way of updating to the new build. If the newer build is released to the public as 7.0.1 you will get an update over the air.

batting1000
Jun 16, 2013, 01:32 PM
If the newer build is released to the public as 7.0.1 you will get an update over the air.

Exactly. They wouldn't change the build number and keep it as 7.0. Remember iOS 4.2 --> 4.2.1?

Defender2010
Jun 16, 2013, 06:18 PM
Exactly. They wouldn't change the build number and keep it as 7.0. Remember iOS 4.2 --> 4.2.1?

3.0 and 4.0 public versions were released with a different build number than the GM (not that it was OTA)

uhaas
Jun 16, 2013, 06:41 PM

Agree, there's likely a lot of debugging telemetry code in the beta that sucks life.

ShiggyMiyamoto
Jun 16, 2013, 06:55 PM
Spent a day with it so far. Everything about it is lovely, though there's some instability (it really doesn't like folders in the dock!) and there are a few bugs that do annoy (the dictionary definitions pop-up being impossible to dismiss is annoying, but the complete inability to type Japanese text on there might be a deal-breaker for the time being)

I've noticed the dock thing too! I mean, you can put folders in the dock and expand and contract them fine, but when you try and removed items from a folder while it's still in the dock you get a soft restart (black screen with grey Apple logo for a moment). Taking the folder OUT of the dock and then removing what you want works without a problem.

As far as DD, yes. I am running it as my DD on my Sprint iPhone 5. I love it. I'll deal with the little annoyances. I've noticed these nuances in the following apps/features/functions:

FaceBook: When you swipe to the right to get to the shortcuts pane/panel where you would click/tap to go to your wall spazes out until you scroll up and down a little and/or swipe back out to full screen and then back again. That was horribly explained, but that's the best I can do lol.

Skype: You can sign in and do everything except load up a group msg you might be a part of. Dunno about calls. I'll test that and get back to you.

Signal strength: I live in an up and coming Sprint 4G LTE area, and on iOS 6.1.4 I would get pretty decent LTE in my house, and in the front of where I work. I can also get 3g EvDO in the back of work. With Beta 1, unless it's Sprint upgrading stuff and taking forever doing it, I get anywhere from 1x to LTE randomly. The only way to restore a stable-esque network connection is to toggle Airplane Mode. Then it works for a bit, but inevitably and eventually goes back to its antics. <_<

As far as battery life in concerned I'm sort of cheating... lol I have a Mophie Juice Pack Air 1700 mAh model. I can walk around work with online radio I like playing and only about half way through my 8h shift does it revert to the internal battery. I cant' say how my battery life was before I got it/when I was on iOS 6.1.4, but it's not bad at all on the Beta.

There are other small things that plague the Beta, but all in all it works great. I love the new UI as many of us here do, and I can't wait for Beta 2 to release. I'll be the first in line to install it. xD

ijohn.8.80
Jun 16, 2013, 07:08 PM

Seems to be that those having the most issues with this first beta are coming from jailbreaks.

saxon48
Jun 16, 2013, 07:09 PM
Personally, I'm going to wait until the next beta to install it. I'm excited as well reading what everyone has to say about it, but the general complaint about battery life is holding me back.

DJLC
Jun 16, 2013, 07:24 PM
I'm really enjoying it on my iPhone 4. Only had it installed for a day, but so far is really nice. It IS a little laggy, but that's what I expect from Beta 1 + doing an upgrade rather than a clean install.

Everything seems to work — although iPhone 4 apparently doesn't get camera filters or fancy wallpapers. Other than that, no major bugs that I've found. It's true that you really can't get a good impression of the UI without actually using it. After seeing it in person on my iPhone, I love it. (Although I hope they revise the icons a bit more before release.)

PNutts
Jun 16, 2013, 08:31 PM
Personally, I'm going to wait until the next beta to install it. I'm excited as well reading what everyone has to say about it, but the general complaint about battery life is holding me back.

The battery life complaints are due to apps. (I know, a pretty broad statement but I haven't seen any battery life complaints on a phone that wasn't restored or wasn't a third party app). Maybe these comments will draw some out. :p

carelesswhisper
Jun 17, 2013, 06:20 AM
I'm coming off a jailbreak on a 4S and I'm impressed at how well it's done so far. Given the few bugs that I've encountered (that aren't anything critical), my only issue is the battery, but it's actually seemed to have improved since installation. I text a lot so that's what drains it pretty quick.

johnmed
Jun 17, 2013, 07:32 AM
I'm not a developer, but used iOS 7 as my daily til 2 days ago. Battery life was a bit worse than normal and re-springs common. My biggest gripe was apps crashing. Words with Friends would repeatedly crash, then Maps and then Podcast app wouldn't load. Sometimes in poor signal areas the iPhone would get crazy hot and you could watch the battery draining.

I'm really big on podcasts and words with friends and eventually couldn't live without them.

I'd lost my JB with iOS 7, but sadly reverted back to iOS 6 to have a more stable device.

If Beta 3 or 4 is stable and polished I'll jump back in a shot.

xraydoc
Jun 17, 2013, 08:44 AM
I might jump in to a beta later on in the cycle, but I rely on my iPhone 5 (both built-in apps and several 3rd party apps) far too much to move to a early beta. I may install it on an unused iPhone 4S to see what it's like though.

Gogurt48
Jun 17, 2013, 01:21 PM
I wasn't planning to, because I depend so much on my iPhone that I'd probably spontaneously combust if it became unusable. But I loaded iOS 7 on my old iPhone 4 and I was surprised how well it ran. Then I read all the positive comments on this thread and decided to take the plunge.

I installed the beta on my iPhone 5 last night. So far, I like it very much. (I've shunted most of Apple's ugly icons into a "time out" folder where they can think about what they've done to aesthetics).

I especially like the new animations. I love the way the icons seem to fall into place like raindrops when I exit the lock screen, and I love the zoom effect when I drill down into a folder or an app. Sometimes I do that just to watch the animation.

tim100
Jun 17, 2013, 03:09 PM
for people who are using the beta on their main iphone
1) does your info sync using iCloud, i.e. contacts email etc
2) do you have to reset blutooth devices i.e. hands free in car for the beta and each beta that follows
3) are future betas ota

sonicrobby
Jun 17, 2013, 03:11 PM
I was. Now Im back to iOS 6 though

tgi
Jun 17, 2013, 03:24 PM
I don't really have experience in using betas on my primary phone. I'm interested in using iOS 7 beta but am afraid that the apps I use daily will not function properly, which is expected. Do apps usually run ok with beta iOS?All the other bugs I can live with. What are some other concerns one should have if relying on a beta as their DD.

shootertwist
Jun 18, 2013, 01:11 AM
i've had the beta for six days now on my iPhone 5 which is my main phone. I understand its just a beta so its not polished yet but overall its great, love the user interface and the animations. I've had some resprings here and there, but nothing major (fingers crossed). in fact my S4 has more restarts than my beta-loaded iphone5 :)

WhackyNinja
Jun 18, 2013, 06:30 PM
I would use my iPhone with iOS 7 as my daily driver but unfortunately the battery life is whats keeping me from keeping it.

Soyox
Jun 19, 2013, 11:15 AM
Daily user on iphone 4
In my case i feel the battery is even better one full charge go for all day (3G on, music, twitter, camera average using) loving it!

Whatsapp works fine, only one bug, cant add as new contact from conversation screen it crash

Tweetbot. Fine too

Intagram. Some glitches but nothing mayor, it works

Facebook works.

In ip4 the gps dont work in this beta.

tim100
Jun 21, 2013, 11:52 AM
can developers use icloud to import their info like email, apps, etc?

Soyox
Jun 22, 2013, 05:08 PM

Im not a developer and i used icloud to restore my contacts and photos, mail added manually and app reinstalled from itunes.

batting1000
Jun 22, 2013, 05:15 PM

Why wouldn't they be able to?

tim100
Jun 22, 2013, 05:25 PM
Why wouldn't they be able to?

because to get the beta you have to plug into itunes. i have not plugged an iphone into my mac since iCloud started.

Sdahe
Jun 22, 2013, 05:37 PM
Yesterday I installed the ios 7 in my iphone 5 but couldn't stand it... Don't like the new look... everything is so WHITE... :(. It's also too buggy and it's ok since it's the first beta..

I downgrade to ios 6.1.4 today... back to normal

batting1000
Jun 22, 2013, 05:48 PM
because to get the beta you have to plug into itunes. i have not plugged an iphone into my mac since iCloud started.

When you set up the phone, you can choose to restore from backup... :confused:

FWRN
Jun 22, 2013, 09:23 PM
Used it as a daily driver for roughly a week now? Honestly disappointed with the battery life which is a must for me.

Going back to iOS 6 right now.

Sdahe
Jun 22, 2013, 10:10 PM
Happy again with everything normal in 6.1.4

himynameisBLiNK
Jun 22, 2013, 10:18 PM
i go back & forth lol.. hoping beta 2 drops next week

batting1000
Jun 22, 2013, 10:19 PM
Used it as a daily driver for roughly a week now? Honestly disappointed with the battery life which is a must for me.

Going back to iOS 6 right now.

Why did it disappoint you? It's a beta...

----------

I don't really have experience in using betas on my primary phone. I'm interested in using iOS 7 beta but am afraid that the apps I use daily will not function properly, which is expected. Do apps usually run ok with beta iOS?All the other bugs I can live with. What are some other concerns one should have if relying on a beta as their DD.

If you're afraid and don't have experience running betas, I would suggest doing it.

-BigMac-
Jun 22, 2013, 10:41 PM
Yes.

For beta 1, wow it's stable. There's of course occasional bugs but nothing too serious!

I have had some pretty obvious bugs in the beta so far:

- After going in and out of a few different conversations, the name of the person gets frozen. Upon opening a new conversation, they overlap, and so on. Eventually the conversation names are all just a black smudge of 10 different names. Have to restart the Messages app to fix this.

- Random shut downs of the whole iPhone, very annoying if you're for example.. playing a game and getting a high score :mad: because this closes down all apps.

- Trouble from sleep wake, where the device doesn't wake for a minute or two. Annoying. This has happened when receiving calls. You can hear the ringer, you can't silence the call, and you can't pick it up. doesnt react to hardware silence switch either.

- Overlap of the clock and music buttons, upon double pressing the home button from sleep.

- Upon wake, sometimes the brightness of the device becomes the 'minimum brightness', even though the brightness is set to maximum (without automatic brightness selected). A screen lock and wake, usually resets this.

- About half the time, video recording doesn't work. Neither the record button nor the volume buttons initiate the video recording.

Just off the top of my head.
You would think Messages, going from sleep wake, double clicking the home button and video recording would have been THOROUGHLY tested by Apple within the first WEEK of testing, they work on these for months before the first beta comes out, its a huge overhaul, so how did they not fix it before the first beta was released :confused:

Anyway, considering all the changes they have done, its a huge effort. But i wouldn't call it stable, yet :)

batting1000
Jun 24, 2013, 09:39 PM
So, has anyone changed their mind from beta 1 (whether you originally chose yes or no)?

WhackyNinja
Jun 24, 2013, 10:05 PM
Due to the improvement in Beta 2 I now use it as my daily driver.

nishimura
Jun 24, 2013, 10:22 PM
Wow 400 people are on iOS daily. I must admit I'm on it too. Might as well stay on it, free rapid OTA updates, it's like iOS on steroids.

1080p
Jun 24, 2013, 10:36 PM
Other. I have used it since Beta 1 and have decided to switch to Android. Galaxy S4 Active on it's way!

afinch1992
Jun 24, 2013, 10:42 PM
Other. I have used it since Beta 1 and have decided to switch to Android. Galaxy S4 Active on it's way!

interesting choice!

i ran beta 1 and now im on 2. Ive noticed better battery when mobile data is on. in beta 1, the second I turned on mobile data I could watch my battery deplete. On a scale of 1-10, i would give beta 1 a solid 6, beta 2 a 7.5ish. cant wait for beta 3!

KattDaDon
Jun 25, 2013, 01:51 AM
I've been using it as my daily driver since beta 1

gomoq13
Jun 25, 2013, 02:05 AM
Using as a daily driver on both iPad 3 and iPhone 4S. :D

aimee.elizabeth
Jun 25, 2013, 03:33 AM
Happy again with everything normal in 6.1.4

I love how you say you hate the look of 7, yet you have the 7 music icon as your avatar :confused:

Edit: I'm using beta 2 as my daily driver.

HarryAinslie
Jun 25, 2013, 03:53 AM
Is the 'Traffic' feature only available to US users?

Also when you add an event to calendar and you can choose location and the calendar auto sets the 'Travel Time'. Is this only available to US users too?

kevkwas
Jun 25, 2013, 07:45 PM
Nope.

I just use iOS 7 on a pilot phone at work to test internal apps and commercial apps that we use department wide.

If I could install iOS 7 on my personal phone, then I would.

Could you tell me if thee 2 Apps work with iOS 7 Beta 2,
The phone i use for testing died on me and I'm kinda scared to put on my iPhone 5 home iPhone. Or should i wait till my replacement comes?

Thanks for any feedback

xraytech
Jun 25, 2013, 07:49 PM
On the iPhone 5, Yes

On the iPad Gen 3, No

Bako-MacAddict
Jun 26, 2013, 02:46 AM
I've been using it since day one . Although I must admit beta 1 was really buggy. But I have patience and knew beta 2 wasn't going to disappoint . Stable beta and it doesn't crash as often anymore .

batting1000
Jul 8, 2013, 07:54 PM
Has anyone changed their mind since today's release of beta 3? Maybe I can see if the poll can be reset or something like that.

ki2594
Jul 8, 2013, 08:03 PM
yeah hows everyone feeling about this beta? waiting on some more people to say its a very safe/stable daily driver before throwing it on the iPhone. iPad mini is a bit better with this beta but still needs lots of work.

tymaster50
Jul 8, 2013, 08:07 PM
beta 3 has a tendency to get a little crash heavy (try viewing 2 photos in the settings> wallpaper) but it's pretty stable.

sou1 so1di3r
Jul 8, 2013, 08:15 PM
just upgraded... seems ok so far...

seems a bit snappier, but also... bigger if that makes sense. iPhone 5

Apple...
Jul 8, 2013, 08:17 PM
Beta 3 is very stable for me compared to the past two betas.

TallManNY
Jul 8, 2013, 09:24 PM
So is Beta 3 good enough to be your daily driver? What if your cell phone is your only phone and you get work emails on it?

I'm think of taking the plunge. I have an assortment of tablets giving me other access points if this goes badly though.

Also, how's the hotspot generation. That's kind of key for me if I want to run some of the aforementioned tablets on the road.

Armen
Jul 8, 2013, 09:27 PM
I'm going to be responsible enough to say don't do it. However, I have been using beta 2 as a daily driver for the past 2 weeks and now it's beta 3.

HarryPot
Jul 8, 2013, 09:31 PM
I've been using my iPhone with beta 1 since the first day.

It do has some bugs that sometimes might get annoying. But, so far, beta 3 seems much more stable.

And hotspot had been working great for me, no problems so far. Tho I don't use it that often.

ad5ll
Jul 8, 2013, 09:32 PM
I have used iOS 7 since day one on beta 1... Have never had a serious enough issue to not recommend as a daily driver. It is getting noticeably better with each Beta release.

TallManNY
Jul 8, 2013, 09:33 PM
Advice off the internet from strangers about something as important as my phone which I used dozens of times per day?!?! Well that is good enough for me. :)
I'm downloading it now.
Thanks all!

(Sometimes one clearly just needs an excuse to do something you really want to do anyway.)

ad5ll
Jul 8, 2013, 09:34 PM
Advice off the internet from strangers about something as important as my phone which I used dozens of times per day?!?! Well that is good enough for me. :)
I'm downloading it now.
Thanks all!

(Sometimes one clearly just needs an excuse to do something you really want to do anyway.)

I dont think you will regret it.

WhoisMedina
Jul 8, 2013, 09:36 PM
I had beta 2 as my daily driver until a few days ago. My phone would get crazy hot so I decided that it was time for stock iOS and all day battery life... But... After using iOS and going back to iOS, I put beta 3 back on and I probably won't go back to iOS 6. I'll be on beta's til release day! :apple:

rman726
Jul 8, 2013, 09:41 PM
Beta 3 seems plenty stable for me. Not one crash yet today. Battery life seems alright for me as well.

TallManNY
Jul 8, 2013, 09:45 PM
Battery life is key. But I've also gotten into habit of plugging phone when at work at some point and then also plugging it in at home overnight. So basically it gets a full charge twice a day and so battery life is never really an issue except on the weekends. And then phone is not mission critical and a tablet is often handy.

Neverbepeace
Jul 8, 2013, 09:47 PM
Beta 3 seems plenty stable for me. Not one crash yet today. Battery life seems alright for me as well.

How is the performance? Is it faster than beta 1 and 2?

PNutts
Jul 8, 2013, 09:48 PM
You should not. What is important to you might not be important to someone else who dismisses the bug. There are people that reported problems answering calls. With that said, you can roll back to 6 if you find a deal breaker or enjoy it if everything you need works. For me it was a lot of little things that simply added up to the point where I rolled back.

Jordan921
Jul 8, 2013, 09:49 PM
I've been using iOS 7 beta on my phone since day one. Get a couple restarts occasionally but it hasn't stopped me from using it on my daily.

eaglesteve
Jul 8, 2013, 09:50 PM
I have also been using Beta 1, 2, and now 3 as daily driver.

KingOfStuff
I had a problem with a second phone i use for beta 3 not being able to update. if i try to update through the phone it simply says it cannot and if i try through itunes it says the phone is not eligable for the update. confused by that i install the beta on my daily phone and it update fine. so im confused...

Armen
I'm downloading it now.
Thanks all!

In before

"Help, iphone stuck on Apple logo"

"Help, iOS 7 bricked my phone I can't go back to 6.1.4"

"Help, iPhone won't activate"

:p

TallManNY
Jul 8, 2013, 09:51 PM
So if you can't restore a device to iOS 6 once you install the Beta, why do they suggest that you create a backup file?

And also, how can a phone not be able to be restored? You should be able to flash something to clear and overwrite. That seems like something that should always be possible.

TwistedPain
Jul 8, 2013, 09:51 PM
I must say beta 3 has been the most stable beta for me so far on my iPhone 4. Performance is much improved over the last two betas!

Am3r1ca16
Jul 8, 2013, 09:54 PM
Been using since beta 1. So far my iPhone hasn't crashed except for Safari a few times. Much faster and fluid than beta 2. But I'll put it to the test tomorrow.

ajt1995
Jul 8, 2013, 09:55 PM
I haven't had a respring all day. Nothing that makes me want to go back to iOS 6.

Unlike beta 2, which did make me go back to iOS 6.

TallManNY
Jul 8, 2013, 09:56 PM
You should not. What is important to you might not be important to someone else who dismisses the bug. There are people that reported problems answering calls. With that said, you can roll back to 6 if you find a deal breaker or enjoy it if everything you need works. For me it was a lot of little things that simply added up to the point where I rolled back.

Thanks for the advice. It is probably prudent. I think the only thing important to me is the ability to receive calls and emails. I've got a tablet so if an App doesn't work, it will work on the tablet.

But as I think you figured out, I'm tech savvy enough get myself in trouble but probably not the person who should be doing this. But the iPad and Nexus 7 give me a lot of the same features as my iPhone 5, so they could be a fall back option. Worst case I can get work emails to come to my Nexus 7 for a month or two. At least I think that is the worst case. I can live without most Apps.

mwhities
Jul 8, 2013, 09:58 PM
Battery died fast. 98% to 20% in 1.5 hours. I just now did a reset all. Hopefully that will clear some cobwebs out.

iPhone 4S and normal usage as beta2.

TallManNY
Jul 8, 2013, 10:02 PM
In before

"Help, iphone stuck on Apple logo"

"Help, iOS 7 bricked my phone I can't go back to 6.1.4"

"Help, iPhone won't activate"

:p

Is bricking a real possibility?

I probably shouldn't do this if it is. That said, I can afford another iPhone 5. Or I could roll with a BBRY Q10 for a few months for a retro change of pace and then buy the 5S. I kind of lucked into this iPhone 5 as it was (my last job gave it to me, I kicked in $100 to make it a 32 GB, then when I left the company I got to keep the phone because it was "part mine". That was their policy.)

----------

This downloading is taking forever. I have fast 30 MB internet DL, so I'm surprised it is taking so long. Also since this launched 12 hours ago I would figure the rush to get it would be over with.

Armen
Jul 8, 2013, 10:03 PM
Is bricking a real possibility?

I probably shouldn't do this if it is. That said, I can afford another iPhone 5. Or I could roll with a BBRY Q10 for a few months for a retro change of pace and then buy the 5S. I kind of lucked into this iPhone 5 as it was (my last job gave it to me, I kicked in $100 to make it a 32 GB, then when I left the company I got to keep the phone because it was "part mine". That was their policy.)

People throw the word "brick" around too easily around here. Do you know how to go into DFU mode if you phone doesnt work as intended?

PNutts
Jul 8, 2013, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the advice. It is probably prudent. I think the only thing important to me is the ability to receive calls and emails. I've got a tablet so if an App doesn't work, it will work on the tablet.

But as I think you figured out, I'm tech savvy enough get myself in trouble but probably not the person who should be doing this. But the iPad and Nexus 7 give me a lot of the same features as my iPhone 5, so they could be a fall back option. Worst case I can get work emails to come to my Nexus 7 for a month or two. At least I think that is the worst case. I can live without most Apps.

lol - Yeah, I'm not developing any iOS 7 specific apps but for the first time "for fun" I put a beta iOS on my phone. I have a low tolerance for issues when they are needlessly self-inflicted. ;) To be fair I had very few issues with the core iOS but there are apps I don't want to be without. I'm covering a guy's on-call this week so no beta 3 for me. If you decide to try the beta, don't restore a backup onto it. People who set up as a new phone and reinstall their stuff have fewer issues. There is a risk of physical damage. For me it turned out the stuff that wasn't working or wasn't finished was more irritating than the coolness of the stuff that worked. ;)

batting1000
Jul 8, 2013, 10:10 PM
So is Beta 3 good enough to be your daily driver? What if your cell phone is your only phone and you get work emails on it?

I'm think of taking the plunge. I have an assortment of tablets giving me other access points if this goes badly though.

Also, how's the hotspot generation. That's kind of key for me if I want to run some of the aforementioned tablets on the road.

Thanks for not creating duplicate threads. :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1594739

TallManNY
Jul 8, 2013, 10:13 PM
People throw the word "brick" around too easily around here. Do you know how to go into DFU mode if you phone doesnt work as intended?

No. But Google knew how. So I guess yes, now I know in theory. Seems like timing on those holds might take a certain amount of touch. But assuming iPhone isn't physically screwed up this seems like it would work to reset it.

DDustiNN
Jul 8, 2013, 10:13 PM
I've been using the beta since day one of beta one. Battery is perfectly fine since beta 2 and I have had no major issues. Minor issues include a few random app crashes here and there, and a few apps not working (like eBay for example).

Overall I'm content staying and feel no desire to revert back to iOS 6. Especially Safari. The new one is so good that I often find myself trying to swipe to go back in apps that don't gave that feature (like Facebook) just because it's a new habit now.

So I can't flat-out recommend it, since others have had problems, but I certainly have not had any deal-breakers yet. So far my biggest complaints are the new font weight in beta 3, and the new calendar not having a preview pane.

TallManNY
Jul 8, 2013, 10:17 PM

Darn. I literally searched on forums "daily driver ios 7 beta 3" before creating this thread. Because I knew there must be something like this. But I didn't see that thread. But granted I probably didn't look hard enough.

But I did do the search! I swear I did!

batting1000
Jul 8, 2013, 10:27 PM
Darn. I literally searched on forums "daily driver ios 7 beta 3" before creating this thread. Because I knew there must be something like this. But I didn't see that thread. But granted I probably didn't look hard enough.

But I did do the search! I swear I did!

It's fine. ;) I'll see if a mod can merge the two threads

Northernist
Jul 8, 2013, 10:30 PM
It's impossible to tell at this point, but so far beta 3 has been great for me. Not one crash yet and battery life has been rock solid (at least since I installed a few minutes after it was released).

oklahoma258
Jul 8, 2013, 10:31 PM
Im not going to lie, I personally think this beta 3 of iOS 7 is better than the last version of iOS 6.1 I had. It can definitely be used as a daily driver.

TallManNY
Jul 8, 2013, 10:32 PM
It's fine. ;) I'll see if a mod can merge the two threads

Or just kill it. There is certainly an established thread with multiple pages on this issue.

But folks were helpful. I've got the download but will not start the update process as it is nearing midnight here in NYC. I will do some additional research and decide tomorrow or Wednesday if I'm going to install the beta.

aimee.elizabeth
Jul 8, 2013, 11:03 PM

I've been using ios 7 as my daily driver since beta 1. It has a few bugs here and there but most of them doesn't impact functionality that much, only aesthetics. However, I would recommend you going through this forum and see what bugs are present and if they would impact your daily usage in anyway. Also look through the app crashes threads so you can see if there are any apps that are essential to you that don't yet work on the betas.

ErikGrim
Jul 8, 2013, 11:16 PM
Upgraded my wife's phone when beta 2 came out with a clear warning that she will have several restarts a day. Zero complaints in the last two weeks. She loves it.

PNutts
Jul 8, 2013, 11:30 PM
Or just kill it. There is certainly an established thread with multiple pages on this issue.

No worries about the dupe thread. The Mods will take care if it they decide to do cleanup.

If you go forward make sure you have a current backup. I prefer to back up in iTunes and then move that backup to a secure location. If you don't move it, when iOS7 backs up it will no longer be usable in iOS 6. (I haven't had a chance to troll the entire readme file so someone correct me if I'm wrong with beta 3 backups). You can use that backup to go back to iOS 6 if you decide to. An iCloud backup is a good thing, too.

C DM
Jul 8, 2013, 11:31 PM
I've been using the beta since day one of beta one. Battery is perfectly fine since beta 2 and I have had no major issues. Minor issues include a few random app crashes here and there, and a few apps not working (like eBay for example).

Overall I'm content staying and feel no desire to revert back to iOS 6. Especially Safari. The new one is so good that I often find myself trying to swipe to go back in apps that don't gave that feature (like Facebook) just because it's a new habit now.

So I can't flat-out recommend it, since others have had problems, but I certainly have not had any deal-breakers yet. So far my biggest complaints are the new font weight in beta 3, and the new calendar not having a preview pane.Interestingly enough the Facebook app does in fact support the swipe right to go back feature in quite a few places.

Connor77
Jul 8, 2013, 11:51 PM
I've been using my iPhone with beta 1 since the first day.

It do has some bugs that sometimes might get annoying. But, so far, beta 3 seems much more stable.

And hotspot had been working great for me, no problems so far. Tho I don't use it that often.
Me too

Bacong
Jul 8, 2013, 11:56 PM
Beta 3 is by far the most usable, and I'm going to roll with it for awhile, barring any unforeseen critical bugs :p

Bacong
Jul 8, 2013, 11:57 PM
Beta 3 is very stable for me compared to the past two betas.

same. going to stick with this for awhile, probably. iOS 7 is just such a massive improvement over 6. Only have been going back to 6 because of speed/stability. 7 is a pure delight to use.

NM08SRT8
Jul 9, 2013, 12:06 AM
Did this really require a new thread to the already 180+ post existing one...?

PNutts
Jul 9, 2013, 12:13 AM

You do know that was already mentioned in this thread? Did it really require a new post instead of the existing one?

canucksfan88
Jul 9, 2013, 12:48 AM
ive been daily driving iOS7 since beta 1.

fyi - parallax off, reduce motion on, automatic update off, location services (maps only).

DDustiNN
Jul 9, 2013, 01:41 AM
Interestingly enough the Facebook app does in fact support the swipe right to go back feature in quite a few places.

It does, but it's different. In Safari, you have to swipe from the edge of the screen. Doing so in Facebook brings out the menu drawer. To go "back", you have to swipe from the middle of the screen, which in Safari just moved the page of course.

So after using Safari so much, I often bring up the Facebook menu inadvertently in that app.

Tander
Jul 9, 2013, 01:47 AM

I've become to detest that word. It's used so many times in the incorrect way. :rolleyes:

gomoq13
Jul 9, 2013, 01:51 AM
I've become to detest that word. It's used so many times in the incorrect way. :rolleyes:

Precisely! Can you even brick anyways? Lol

matttye
Jul 9, 2013, 02:02 AM
I wouldn't pay for a beta when you'll get the stable version for free soon.

There's always a chance you'll come across a horrific bug just when you need to use your phone.

bbfc
Jul 9, 2013, 02:08 AM

It's by far the most stable release (and it should be!). I haven't experienced any crashes, app freezes and the camera app hasn't crashed once and it did this constantly in beta 2.

My 4S is much more responsive. The animations are more fluid and much quicker. There is no delay when typing in the keyboard. Multitasking us much much quicker and there is no lag switching between apps or closing them.

C19MAT
Jul 9, 2013, 02:37 AM
I'm having issues with my mobile signal since updating to beta 3. It is continuously jumping from 1 dot to 3 dots. I updated OTA instead of going for the clean install, so will have to go back and do a fresh install I think.

Just interested to see if anyone else is having this problem?

Tander
Jul 9, 2013, 03:29 AM
Precisely! Can you even brick anyways? Lol

Point exactly. I have not heard of anyone bricking their iPhone in the true meaning of the word.

TallManNY
Jul 9, 2013, 06:17 AM

We've been merged. Order is restored.

----------

I wouldn't pay for a beta when you'll get the stable version for free soon.

There's always a chance you'll come across a horrific bug just when you need to use your phone.

I'm not suggeting paying for it. I've already got my developer license for some App work that I did (more reviewing someone else's and chiming in).

naasrd
Jul 9, 2013, 06:34 AM
Yes, since beta 2 it's been nothing but a first class trip.

ki2594
Jul 9, 2013, 01:06 PM
beta 3 is my first beta install of iOS 7 on my iPhone and i LOVE it. seriously no real complaints thus far even though its only been a day. battery seems to be okay but i'll have to keep an eye on that the next couple days.

had beta 2 on my ipad mini, which ran terribly. but beta 3 is a lot smoother. still more work needs to be done on the ipad side of things than the iphone i think.

batting1000
Aug 2, 2013, 07:23 PM
Thought i'd bring this back up. Anyone change their mind from the previous betas? Anyone not vote yet? ;)

applefan777
Aug 2, 2013, 07:32 PM
I wouldn't trust a beta on my phone. Having a working phone is important compared to just an iPod/iPad. I also don't want to lose my jailbreak.

mirzank
Aug 3, 2013, 12:49 AM
i think betas are all about luck. it seems there are all sorts of issues unique to certain setups. no consistency.

i am using ios 7 as a daily driver on my 4s. up until beta 3 i actually had a lot of lag, crashes, missed calls, multitasking issues, stuck black screen etc, but the newness of the os kept me on it. i was getting frustrated though.

but with beta 4 all seems great. really i think its pretty much perfect, apart from obviously apps that havent updated yet like skype messages bug. is smooth, no issues at all, no crashes.

only problem i have with beta 4, which is the only issue, is that my push notifications stopped working on whatsapp with beta 4. nothing i tried seems to fix it. again, its something specific to my setup since not a lot of people have this problem. so if it wasnt for this issue, id say it was as perfect as ios 6 for me.

AppleFanatic10
Aug 3, 2013, 01:32 AM
I go back and forth. Right now I'm using it as my daily driver.

TallManNY
Aug 11, 2013, 08:38 AM
I chickened out, partly because I had some important stuff going on at work. But that stuff was finished on Friday. So I'm going to go for it with Beta 5.

illyb2000
Aug 11, 2013, 09:26 AM
I go back and forth. Right now I'm using it as my daily driver.

how do u do that ? i try go back to beta 3 from 6.1.4 and get the 3194 error.

iphone 5, windows PC

Gogurt48
Aug 11, 2013, 10:10 AM
how do u do that ? i try go back to beta 3 from 6.1.4 and get the 3194 error.

iphone 5, windows PC

I think beta 3 has expired by now.

illyb2000
Aug 11, 2013, 10:18 AM
I think beta 3 has expired by now.

see thats what i thought, but same happens with beta 4 :(

Gogurt48
Aug 11, 2013, 10:20 AM
see thats what i thought, but same happens with beta 4 :(

Try beta 5. :)

illyb2000
Aug 11, 2013, 10:47 AM
Try beta 5. :)

try it but not holding my breath :(

Gogurt48
Aug 11, 2013, 10:57 AM
try it but not holding my breath :(

Let us know how it turns out, and what error message you get if it doesn't work.

illyb2000
Aug 11, 2013, 11:04 AM
Let us know how it turns out, and what error message you get if it doesn't work.

by the way, i don't wanna tempt fate but looks like its updating!! cheers from scotland

it worked :)

Gogurt48
Aug 11, 2013, 12:00 PM
by the way, i don't wanna tempt fate but looks like its updating!! cheers from scotland

it worked :)

Yay! And cheers right back at you from Virginia, in the U.S.A.

theonekcrow
Aug 11, 2013, 02:00 PM
I'm running beta 5 on my GSM iPhone 5 (my daily driver). So far it's not doing too bad, just the booting bug, which is fixed by putting a passcode on the phone. Very stable for me and great battery life, though I am only using iOS 7 for a week just to try the new features. I won't reload it again until the GM.

MinEderPlayz
Aug 11, 2013, 02:22 PM
No, beta 3 expires late August. Beta 4 expires September 12 so there is plenty of time to run that one as well. :)

canucksfan88
Aug 11, 2013, 04:07 PM
Yup! It's my daily driver. It has been ever since Beta 1. I cant go back...Control Centre and the new UI....can never go back to iOS6.

I have pretty good battery life after tweaking settings.

rwilliams
Aug 11, 2013, 09:11 PM
I'm running beta 5 on my iPhone and it is running beautifully. No problems at all so far.

ajay96
Aug 11, 2013, 09:25 PM
Beta 5 is running flawless on my 4s. Excellent battery life too!