PDA

View Full Version : Registered VS Unregistered iOS7 Beta

braddick
Jun 11, 2013, 07:28 PM
Directly after the yesterday's introductions and announcements from Apple I purchased a developer's slot so I could register my iPhone5 and properly download the iOS7 beta. After a few hours of the confirmation email not arriving I gave up and upon reading the new beta could be downloaded without registering proceeded to do so.

As others experienced, it was hit and miss with my impressions of this new operating system for the iPhone. After experiencing severe lag and having various features not working decided to simply downgrade back to 6.1.4.

Before doing so I opened my email and low and behold there was my official confirmation my iPhone submission had gone through and my iPhone available to receive iOS7 (from a developer's account).

Now, the only way to download this earlier was of course to update with iTunes as clicking restore would not work.

Today with my iPhone accepted in the program the method alters to clicking restore (and not update).

Thus I did.

I've now had a chance to play around with it for a couple of hours and can report there is a distinct difference between adding 7.0 to your iPhone via update and restore.

(For example, the wallpaper was included in the restore whereas it wasn't with the update.)

Obviously there is still some lag but nowhere near as poor as the experience was the first go around.

I'd recommend not using the update strategy but rather the restore option as really, the beta is buggy enough without crippling the procedure further by allowing some of the older 6.0 to remain.

Tinmania
Jun 11, 2013, 07:37 PM
I know you would like to think there is a difference, but there really is not--other than the crap still being left on there via update vs. restore (apps). The sluggishness was likely due, at least in part, to the fact that app store apps auto-update. If you had a lot of updates it will slow the system down.

That said you could have had a pristine iOS 7 installation without having to go through iTunes: Settings->General->Reset->Erase All Content and Settings. That would have given you the exact same thing as using iTunes to do a full restore. Yes, wallpapers and all.

By the way: I do recommend anyone who used the update method to install iOS 7 to indeed go ahead and reset all content and settings. I would not even restore from a backup--set it up as new.

Michael

shooter03
Jun 11, 2013, 07:47 PM
I'd have to agree with Michael, I did mine via update and have had no more issues than anyone else I've been reading about. Yes it's a little buggy but its a beta and for the most part it's pretty stable for me. I'm running it on my daily device and I have a small list that I will submit to apple of bugs that I've had happen.

braddick
Jun 11, 2013, 08:12 PM
Ok guys, good to know.
And thanks Michael- that's an excellent suggestion for starting out clean and not simply updating over 6.0

Sure seemed real though.