PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 needs a night mode / dark theme

SJism23
Jun 11, 2013, 07:52 PM
I love the new iOS, but the bright colours and abundance of white makes text hard to read in certain places. Even worse, using an iDevice just got 100x harder to look at in the darkóa problem I already face before iOS 7. An automatic, time-based night mode that dims and/or darkens the overall UI would be greatly appreciated, I think.

Can any of you beta developers send Apple feedback about this?

Oohehe
Jun 14, 2013, 07:18 PM
I agree wholeheartedly.

Add to that iOS 6 and below are what coalesce with the black iPhone due to their darker natures while iOS 7 seems to be more fitting for the white iPhone with all it's razzledazzle.

palmerc2
Jun 14, 2013, 07:59 PM
I'm not a dev so I haven't played with iOS 7 yet, but based on the keynote at WWDC I agree. Seems like it would hurt the eyes at nighttime, plus I rather enjoy darker themes. Would be sick to see a black / slate theme.

rtomyj
Jun 14, 2013, 10:10 PM
I love the new iOS, but the bright colours and abundance of white makes text hard to read in certain places. Even worse, using an iDevice just got 100x harder to look at in the darkóa problem I already face before iOS 7. An automatic, time-based night mode that dims and/or darkens the overall UI would be greatly appreciated, I think.

I would love that as well. Wasn't there a guy who said he saw iOS 7 in action Pre WWDC and that it had a white theme but there was also one with a darker color set? I believe it was front page of this site. Anywho, hopefully in a future beta! And I will send the suggestion over Apples way ;-)

baller1308
Jun 14, 2013, 10:18 PM
I would love that as well. Wasn't there a guy who said he saw iOS 7 in action Pre WWDC and that it had a white theme but there was also one with a darker color set? I believe it was front page of this site. Anywho, hopefully in a future beta! And I will send the suggestion over Apples way ;-)
Yeah, I think I read that too. They have a night mode for navigation, so maybe the the darker theme would change based on the time.

kockgunner
Jun 14, 2013, 10:34 PM
That would make sense and would give the phone even more "vitality". Having something like F.lux would also be useful because the screen is too bright and blue even at the lowest setting at night.

iFanaddic
Jun 15, 2013, 01:58 AM
100% agree with you all, probably because of all the white in ios 7.

here a solution, I configured triple click to invert colors from the accessibility menu, heres your dark theme!

Oppressed
Jun 15, 2013, 06:12 AM
I agree and they could go a step beyond this. Why not use the ambient light sensor to detect low light and adjust the contrast and brightness of the UI and screen to make for comfortable viewing? A step up from auto brightness because it changes the actual UI.

pedrofan
Jun 15, 2013, 06:28 AM

Why not something in between, like shaded gray that can be used all the day. Just like in iOS 6 and OSX.

One theme is better than two... Minimalism. I have to teach something to sir John Ive about balance between form-functionallity-beautyness.

Mdifilm
Jun 15, 2013, 06:38 AM
Under general, accessibility, you can make test bolder and invert the colors. That's the most I have seen it helped my old age eyes.

Gav2k
Jun 15, 2013, 06:42 AM
Night mode...

Ok ya can't save inverted colours. What the @&£&

Gav2k
Jun 15, 2013, 06:43 AM
Never mind

Pagga
Jun 15, 2013, 11:18 AM
Excellent idea

CallOfDuty
Jun 15, 2013, 12:51 PM
If there was a night mode (Where iOS 7 backdrop turns from mainly white to black) it would resemble Windows Phone too much. (Dark theme, light theme).
But it would be a great addition imo.

Grimmeh
Jun 15, 2013, 02:25 PM
I whole-heartedly agree with this. :)

WeemanWise
Jun 15, 2013, 02:33 PM
Yes, a night mode would definitely be welcome, iOS 7 is good but it just feels so bright all the time. Having a night/dark mode would help with this.

Tmelon
Jun 15, 2013, 02:51 PM
I couldn't agree more. It looks very nice on the white iPhone which covers the Apple website, but on a black iPhone (which the majority are) it looks very out of place. I feel like the excessive white look is going to get ripped on when the update is officially released.

jmantn
Jun 15, 2013, 10:43 PM
I agree wholeheartedly.

Add to that iOS 6 and below are what coalesce with the black iPhone due to their darker natures while iOS 7 seems to be more fitting for the white iPhone with all it's razzledazzle.

Agreed

danahn17
Jun 16, 2013, 12:14 AM
I couldn't agree more. It looks very nice on the white iPhone which covers the Apple website, but on a black iPhone (which the majority are) it looks very out of place. I feel like the excessive white look is going to get ripped on when the update is officially released.

I recall reading something about the darker theme mentioned somewhere above too. It's possible that they might give the black iPhone a different color scheme (kind of like the iPod nanos with their different colored backgrounds).

But I do think that a night mode would be a great idea.

appleguru98
Jun 16, 2013, 12:38 AM
It would be amazing to have a night version. I have dark backgrounds in the first place because I don't like bright things on electronics. I have the iOS 7 beta, and some of the menus still blind me at night when my brightness is down at the lowest setting.

Rajani Isa
Jun 16, 2013, 03:44 AM

here a solution, I configured triple click to invert colors from the accessibility menu, heres your dark theme!

I know on the current iOS I use this as a cheap night mode in apps that have a bright background (iBooks, Maps, etc)

Drunken Master
Jun 16, 2013, 03:48 AM
Agreed

Looks good on a black phone to me.

http://i0.wp.com/wp.iosfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/2013-06-10-19_22_02-Apple-iOS-7-Features.jpg?resize=327%2C637

http://i.imgur.com/Gl8Mvk5.jpg

http://i2.wp.com/wp.iosfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/dwYthjr.jpg?resize=545%2C501

jayenh
Jun 16, 2013, 03:58 AM
Looks good on a black phone to me.

I don't mind it on my black 5, but that control centre, damn is that hideous IMO. The white frosted glass just doesn't work for me.

Edit:
http://i.imgur.com/ikdT0KP.png

http://i.imgur.com/dYL9pFG.png

I don't understand this massive contrast in styles.

phillytim
Sep 19, 2013, 08:43 AM
Vote me in for a dark theme too; all this whitespace is crazy too bright for me.

Please, Apple!!!

BenTrovato
Sep 19, 2013, 08:48 AM
Haha awesome how the community spotted this back in June, yet Apple still released this in September. The colour scheme is very pretty and I do like iOS 7 but it is too bright even during normal daylight. When I look at my phone in the dark it feels like I'm looking at the sun through night vision binoculars. :cool:

bgro
Dec 7, 2013, 06:55 AM

Great idea. This is much much better. The brightness of ios7 was waaaaay too much especially in a dark room

joejoejoe
Dec 9, 2013, 07:00 PM
i think we have several threads on this already

----------

if apple left an option that wouldn't invert graphics, then yes, this would be our dark theme.

unfortunately this feature is pretty rudimentary and just inverts everything on the screen instead.

BittenApple
Dec 11, 2013, 01:57 AM
i think we have several threads on this already

Jun 11, 2013, 09:52 PM

hmm

Why??????
Dec 11, 2013, 07:19 AM
Well they did include a night mode in maps that uses data from the ambient light sensor. I'm sure that if enough people send reports to apple, they may include it in iOS 8, as the new iOS team seems to be more receptive to critiques than Forstall's team, which is nice.

NY Guitarist
Dec 12, 2013, 12:44 PM
Great idea. This is much much better. The brightness of ios7 was waaaaay too much especially in a dark room

That's what I do. It's a half effective solution though, because the inverted colors are not always easy on the eyes at night, so it's usability suffers.

Bathplug
Dec 12, 2013, 02:23 PM
4 of my most used apps now have night themes and noticed a few other popular apps getting night themes also. I hope apple are getting the idea and taking notes. We don't want a plain bright white boring os.

white4s
Dec 13, 2013, 08:04 AM
You could always switch to the inverted color mode. I have my triple click set to that. It kinda helps at night

Patrick J
Dec 21, 2013, 02:06 PM
You could always switch to the inverted color mode. I have my triple click set to that. It kinda helps at night
Problem with the triple click accessibility shortcut is that it significantly lengthens the time your DOUBLE-click takes to summon the multitasking interface. It's a significant delay.

-LikesMac-
Dec 21, 2013, 02:24 PM
This is why we should have something like F.lux on iOS. :D

Max(IT)
Dec 22, 2013, 06:59 AM
I'd like to have a night mode in iOS 7.

While I love iOS 7 UI, when I'm using my iDevices at night it's quite annoying, also with minimum brightness.

thejadedmonkey
Dec 22, 2013, 01:55 PM
With all of this talk of a light and dark theme, why not just get a Windows Phone? They've had white and black themes for years.

C DM
Dec 22, 2013, 02:00 PM
With all of this talk of a light and dark theme, why not just get a Windows Phone? They've had white and black themes for years.Yup, people should simply ditch a whole mobile OS and hardware too just because of a simple desire to have an option for a dark theme? Yeah...

iFanaddic
Dec 22, 2013, 02:06 PM
With all of this talk of a light and dark theme, why not just get a Windows Phone? They've had white and black themes for years.

So If you ever purchase a new car and realize the interior ambiant light is a little too strong at night for your eye you'd just bring it right back to the dealer and go to the competition?

try to be constructive please. Some of us like to think apple will actually listen to us.

Max(IT)
Dec 22, 2013, 02:21 PM

This is a forum where the base is Apple and its products. I'm still wondering why on every single thread there is someone trying to convince people to jump ship toward Android, Windows or whatever .... :rolleyes:

Do you receive revenues for every new windows user ?

C DM
Dec 22, 2013, 03:14 PM
This is a forum where the base is Apple and its products. I'm still wondering why on every single thread there is someone trying to convince people to jump ship toward Android, Windows or whatever .... :rolleyes:

Do you receive revenues for every new windows user ?They all think they are being smart because you either like Apple and should be happy with anything and everything from them, or you should simply go away somewhere else if you have any criticisms or ideas of how something can be done differently/better.

Max(IT)
Dec 22, 2013, 03:26 PM
They all think they are being smart because you either like Apple and should be happy with anything and everything from them, or you should simply go away somewhere else if you have any criticisms or ideas of how something can be done differently/better.

I own android and windows devices.
They are here, on my desk in this very moment. Do I feel the need to speak about those in this forum ? No!
Here I speak about my apple devices ...
When I feel the urge to speak about my S3 or S4 , if I have questions or complains, I know a couple of forums where I can go. Same for my Lumia 620 ....
I don't believe in astroturfing, but sometimes I'm wondering if there isn't someone payed to convince Apple users to go elsewhere ...

lulumink
Dec 22, 2013, 03:43 PM
we need dark theme + futuristic 3d design! Who lives in a flat world. jesus!

white4s
Dec 23, 2013, 07:50 AM
Problem with the triple click accessibility shortcut is that it significantly lengthens the time your DOUBLE-click takes to summon the multitasking interface. It's a significant delay.

I wasn't aware of that but I just disabled the tripe click and don't see that much of a difference in delay

Septembersrain
Dec 23, 2013, 08:26 AM
I'd love a dark theme myself. It's easier on the eyes. Though iOS 7 isn't all that bad honestly.

Altis
Dec 24, 2013, 12:25 PM
I'd love a dark theme myself. It's easier on the eyes. Though iOS 7 isn't all that bad honestly.

It's about as white as it can get. Only good thing about that is it results in a very dark screen when you invert colours.

It'd be great to have a dark theme. Especially for apps like (alarm) clock, which is often used in the dark.

Septembersrain
Dec 24, 2013, 02:11 PM
It's about as white as it can get. Only good thing about that is it results in a very dark screen when you invert colours.

It'd be great to have a dark theme. Especially for apps like (alarm) clock, which is often used in the dark.

I agree. Music and the alarm would be great in darker tones. I do like the colors but the white needs to be either toned down or optional.

SJism23
Dec 24, 2013, 03:45 PM
With a jailbreak out, I'm hoping there will be some dark themes available in addition to F.lux. Now I just have to wait for MS to be updated for the 5s.

The Doctor11
Dec 24, 2013, 05:32 PM
I would like this. I was really happy that there was going to be a dark keyboard in iOS 7.1 but then in beta 2 they took it out and now i'm sad and hoping every day that they put it back. I'm scared the wont:(. Apple please put dark keyboard back!!!