PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else not blown away by the iOS 7 preview?

TH55
Jun 11, 2013, 08:52 PM
I honestly don't get why people are so easily amused. Android has done all of these things for a while.

I still like the clarity and smoothness of Apples graphic interface...but they're gonna need to do a lot more if they want to stay on top.

darster
Jun 11, 2013, 09:29 PM
I cant say one way or another if I am blown away until I try it. Odds are no. But then again, no phone or os will ever blow me away.

lordofthereef
Jun 11, 2013, 10:01 PM
I honestly don't get why people are so easily amused. Android has done all of these things for a while.

People who like the iOS ecosystem, but have wanted these features that Android have had for a while, are thankful that we are finally getting them. I don't know why that is hard to understand or why that equates to being "easily amused".

daigohgoh
Jun 11, 2013, 11:40 PM
uh...how about a totally transparent motherboard, edge to edge Gorilla Glass kabillion screen, never need to charge, fully bendable phone that goes around your wrist with holographic output?

and it also replicates Earl Grey Tea!

Chris092881
Jun 11, 2013, 11:59 PM
I wish I was like you, easily amused.

cnev3
Jun 12, 2013, 12:14 AM
I think the Jobs era where they were releasing game changers every year are over, and expectations need to be put in check.

From what I saw in the preview, it's a good update, but not magical, or revolutionary. It's exciting to see a fresh new style after iOS has been the same since 2007.

But i'm more looking forward to the functionality, and under the hood improvements. Like the smart multitasking, control center, parallax backgrounds, improved photo organization, Air Drop, improved anti theft, new siri voices and integration with wikipedia, new safari features, etc...

Hardware is usually more exciting to people than software. If the iPhone 5S has some good and unexpected new designs and features, it could be a good combo to have with iOS 7.

donutbagel
Jun 12, 2013, 12:19 AM
Hopefully, they put the features in well. Everything they've added has existed on other phones before, but they always have put it in more carefully. I'm hoping this is the case with iOS 7, and some of the stuff like Control Center already looks great.

Of course, they botched the icons. Horrible :mad:

PhoneI
Jun 12, 2013, 12:27 AM
I think the Jobs era where they were releasing game changers every year are over, and expectations need to be put in check.

It's exciting to see a fresh new style after iOS has been the same since 2007.

You have two sentences that directly conflict with each other.

DDustiNN
Jun 12, 2013, 01:25 AM

...really? When was the last time Apple released a "game changer"? Every year, iOS does nothing more than play catch-up.

I'm using iOS 7 right now and can easily say it's the best iOS ever. iOS 6 now looks and feels old and antiquated. There are a few more small features I'd like to see, but overall it is a huge step in the right direction. And it's about freaking time.

PastFuture
Jun 12, 2013, 02:00 AM
In my opinion, iOS 7 introduces a completely new design that's only half baked.

Many people seem to agree that the icons are a misstep. I feel like that they exhibit neither beauty nor coherency. Some icons have gradients (messages, weather, camera) or shadows (settings), others only a white background (photos, game center), some have a very textured and bubbly look (game center again), while other exhibit more design elements of what has been lately referred to as "flat design" (stocks, compass, newsstand). I personally find the latter the most well-designed and pleasing to the eye.

The same applies to the general impression of the apps themselves, where I would have been happier to see a more coherent design. I really like the design of the weather, clock, calculator and compass app, but find these to be in stark contrast to other apps (newsstand, game center, camera) as far as the visual style is concerned

That being said, it makes me hopeful that some of the places where iOS 7 falters design-wise may simply be due to the tight deadline for WWDC, as one author points out (http://frankchimero.com/blog/2013/06/generosity-of-perspective/), and may see improvement in the GM or future iterations.

Dominicanyor
Jun 12, 2013, 02:23 AM
My understanding is that they are not completely done with it. So I guess we will get the real thing with 3 to 4 months.

Michael CM1
Jun 12, 2013, 02:26 AM
I was blown away by the 3D-esque properties of the UI. But I honestly haven't understood the whining about the current UI. Has OS X changed drastically in the past decade?

I'd also like someone to explain to me the uber hatred for, OK I do hate the word, skeuomorphism? I don't understand how four colored bubbles are a better Game Center icon than icons indicating games. I look at my game apps and see Words with Friends tiles on its app, a spade on a solitaire game and Ms. Pac-Man on the Ms. Pac-Man icon. The phone app still has an object that most kids don't know is a phone. The mail app still has an envelope. The camera app has what looks like an SLR camera.

A lot of the improvements are great. But I think the "flattening" was really overrated. The Music icon looks god-awful.

And can someone please explain to me how a guy who is supposedly a design genius can't say "aluminum" correctly? If you're going to be a detail guy, learn how to pronounce the stuff out of which most of your devices are made. Gah.

cnev3
Jun 12, 2013, 02:36 AM

How so? My first sentence was referring to hardware, physical products, my second sentence was about the software.

MacReloaded
Jun 12, 2013, 02:40 AM
And can someone please explain to me how a guy who is supposedly a design genius can't say "aluminum" correctly? If you're going to be a detail guy, learn how to pronounce the stuff out of which most of your devices are made. Gah.

He's from the UK where "aluminum" is "aluminium."

cnev3
Jun 12, 2013, 02:42 AM
...really? When was the last time Apple released a "game changer"? Every year, iOS does nothing more than play catch-up.

I'm using iOS 7 right now and can easily say it's the best iOS ever. iOS 6 now looks and feels old and antiquated. There are a few more small features I'd like to see, but overall it is a huge step in the right direction. And it's about freaking time.

I'd consider the last game changer the Macbook Air, and the ultrabook market that followed.

ntrigue
Jun 12, 2013, 02:46 AM
Idiotic thread #828 since keynote.

Apple has released game changers every three years since 2001, they never did it annually.

The-Real-Deal82
Jun 12, 2013, 02:53 AM

Exactly, I think people need to curb the expectation as the market has plateaued somewhat in terms of just what can be brought in as new. Even Samsung are struggling to expand on revolutionary new features and hopefully this race will slow down a tad. Certain consumers seem to feel unless they are completely blown away by a new release, it has somehow failed but nothing could be further from the truth. Its about maintaining a loyal customer base and giving them the functionality and features that are most important.

Agent-P
Jun 12, 2013, 02:55 AM
I'd also like someone to explain to me the uber hatred for, OK I do hate the word, skeuomorphism? I don't understand how four colored bubbles are a better Game Center icon than icons indicating games. I look at my game apps and see Words with Friends tiles on its app, a spade on a solitaire game and Ms. Pac-Man on the Ms. Pac-Man icon. The phone app still has an object that most kids don't know is a phone. The mail app still has an envelope. The camera app has what looks like an SLR camera.

The hatred of skeuomorphism (which I share) has more to do with how the apps themselves look rather than the icons. Like the fake leather stitching within the calendar app. Why is that necessary? Or the god awful design in game centre where they tried to make it look like it was made of felt. I feel as though having such distractingly ugly interface takes away from the general usability of the app.

LV426
Jun 12, 2013, 03:49 AM

Indeed. From the Oxford English Dictionary:

"aluminium n. coexisted with its synonym aluminum n. throughout the 19th cent. From the beginning of the 20th cent., aluminum gradually became the predominant form in North America; it was adopted as the official name of the metal in the United States by the American Chemical Society in 1925. Elsewhere, aluminum was gradually superseded by aluminium, which was accepted as international standard by IUPAC in 1990."

We put up with our quaint American colleagues pronouncing the word in their amusing manner, and even have a light-hearted TV ad featuring a car salesman having obvious trouble with the word.

What is slightly less forgiveable is Jack Bauer in "24" saying NU-CU-LEAR. That really gets my goat.

Shockwave78
Jun 12, 2013, 03:52 AM
I think they should really put in a toggle for the old icons to be available, maybe not the ones so much everyone says are ugly.

MonkeySee....
Jun 12, 2013, 03:54 AM

hahahahaha.

You're questioning an English person how to pronounce English?

again. hahahahahahah

The-Real-Deal82
Jun 12, 2013, 04:00 AM
hahahahaha.

again. hahahahahahah
I thought the same thing lol. Us English say it correctly IMHO :p

thekev
Jun 12, 2013, 04:04 AM

I never found it to be that way anyway. Think back to what was released. You had gaps in there.

toondw
Jun 12, 2013, 04:16 AM
i actually jumped ship to the nexus 4.......BUT, i actually like what they have done, it looks clean but a bit more functional than ios 6.

i even think it suits the white iphone and ipad better than the black for some reason.

will i come back to iphone?????? well, i always said, if apple do something that looks better than ios 6 i would......so take my money! ;)

weckart
Jun 12, 2013, 04:45 AM
People used to mock Windows XP, calling it 'Fisher Price'. XP looks professional compared with the rather garish new look for iOS. Having launched its shock and awe break with the past presentation of iOS7 I hope that Apple tones down some of those bubblegum colours.

There seems little point in Apple's designing fancy schmancy hardware to promote a quality look only to slap on an interface that reminds you of a Speak and Spell machine.

Davejprince
Jun 12, 2013, 05:27 AM
Posting this makes you like the Hipster-King of MR.
*Claps*:D

osofast240sx
Jun 12, 2013, 06:05 AM

I still like the clarity and smoothness of Apples graphic interface...but they're gonna need to do a lot more if they want to stay on top. I don't really care about andriod. I was very impressed by ios7

gadget123
Jun 12, 2013, 06:14 AM
People used to mock Windows XP, calling it 'Fisher Price'. XP looks professional compared with the rather garish new look for iOS. Having launched its shock and awe break with the past presentation of iOS7 I hope that Apple tones down some of those bubblegum colours.

There seems little point in Apple's designing fancy schmancy hardware to promote a quality look only to slap on an interface that reminds you of a Speak and Spell machine.

And they fixed the colours with Vista, Windows 7 and 8 so what's your point?

And who actually ran XP with a default wallpaper?

PrometheusGeek
Jun 12, 2013, 06:32 AM
Idiotic thread #828 since keynote.

Apple has released game changers every three years since 2001, they never did it annually.

Bingo. Nothing has changed.

ri0ku
Jun 12, 2013, 06:33 AM
I was blown away by the 3D-esque properties of the UI. But I honestly haven't understood the whining about the current UI. Has OS X changed drastically in the past decade?

A lot of the improvements are great. But I think the "flattening" was really overrated. The Music icon looks god-awful.

The aluminium thing.... are you serious? lol really :rolleyes:

Menel
Jun 12, 2013, 06:42 AM

And can someone please explain to me how a guy who is supposedly a design genius can't say "aluminum" correctly? If you're going to be a detail guy, learn how to pronounce the stuff out of which most of your devices are made. Gah.Gamecenter had an icon for Chess. Do you play Chess in gamecenter? No. GameCenter is a social tool. Lets leave the chess and rocketship icons to the actual apps where you play those things.

"Sir" Jonathan Ive... SIR. You do realize he's British... right? It's spelled Aluminium in English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium

I assume you leave out second (i) when you pronounce it, as you did when you spelled it.

weckart
Jun 12, 2013, 06:46 AM
And they fixed the colours with Vista, Windows 7 and 8 so what's your point?

And who actually ran XP with a default wallpaper?

Read your own post. That is the point. :rolleyes:

Who said anything about wallpapers?

SprSynJn
Jun 12, 2013, 06:48 AM
I was blown away after seeing it in motion. Until then I just thought it was a nice change. I think Fall cannot come soon enough.

jclardy
Jun 12, 2013, 07:04 AM

I still like the clarity and smoothness of Apples graphic interface...but they're gonna need to do a lot more if they want to stay on top.

While I can't say much...this update is much more about feel than look. As a developer on both platforms Android has finally found "their look" in 4.2, but the feel is not unified. You touch something and sometimes it does a slide in, sometimes it does a fade in, sometimes it immediately pops-up. The reason for this is that the developer tools and UI guidelines are really gray on how it the system should react.

Basically my point is that once third party developers take hold of the new API's the new ideology of the platform will become more apparent.

dvir971
Jun 12, 2013, 07:29 AM
Android is ****, but I definitely wasn't blown away by the iOS 7, I think the iOS 6 menu is much prettier.

chrisblore
Jun 12, 2013, 07:52 AM

http://i.stack.imgur.com/jiFfM.jpg

rmwebs
Jun 12, 2013, 07:59 AM
IMO its a step in the right direction. My initial 'wow this is cool' has now gone and it feels no 'cleaner' or 'fresher' than before as once you're out of stock apps you dont know the difference really.

IMO it still has a lot of refinement needed, and some subtle shadows and minor gradients here and there to add just a slight bit of definition (a bit like how Google do it with their apps).

Hopefully beta 2 will add some more features as well.

auero
Jun 12, 2013, 08:47 AM
I'm beginning to wake up and realize I'm tired of being fed small incremental updates. I'm not a fan of the new UI but it's a start to bring a breath of fresh air into iOS.

This update focused more on design and with that comes a new way to interact with the device of course. If I wanted a theme, I could have jailbroken my device and did so. I don't see the beneficial gain in functionality over iOS 6.

Jimmy James
Jun 12, 2013, 08:54 AM
I don't have a need to be blown away.

applelover1016
Jun 12, 2013, 09:45 AM
I know i'm new to macrumors, but, i'm tired of people saying ios 7 is not functional or android has had this or android has had that. When you commit to an os it doesn't matter what any other os has or does first. It's about loyalty. I buy apple products because I love the ecosystem. Everything communicates beautifully. I think ios 7 is great, new UI and all. No it's not perfect, but ios will never be perfect there is always something that can be added. We should just stop complaining and be thankful that we got a refresh. Jeez got my underwear all in a knot lol:D

DDustiNN
Jun 12, 2013, 10:57 AM
I'd consider the last game changer the Macbook Air, and the ultrabook market that followed.

I agree, but that has nothing to do with the iOS releases (which is what's in question in this thread).

SteveCarriere
Jun 12, 2013, 11:09 AM
It'd be hard for any person/company to love up to the expectations of some. As with anything, some will like it, some won't. Some will deal, some will bail. It's months away from release. Things could and will change.

psylence2k
Jun 12, 2013, 11:22 AM
I'm in love with the functionality upgrades which I think matters the most but not too crazy about the amateurish unrefined pastel like style it has taken on graphically. At first at least.

I will say though that the true test will come while using it.

If there's any Nintendo fans in here then you'll remember when they first previewed Legend of Zelda:Wind Waker and everyone HATED the new graphic style that was used including me. It was pretty similar of a change going from a more 3Dish skeuomorphic look in previous games to a much flatter 2D and some would say cartoonish graphic style in Wind Waker.

Once everyone got their hands and were able to actually play the game and see how it worked and felt in action then pretty much almost everybody changed their mind and absolutely loved the new graphic style including me. I realized then that you have to actually immerse yourself in the experience before you can judge it.

That's what I think this will be, It can go either way once I try it.

I did download some of the screenshots of IOS 7 on here onto my phone though and the size matches the screen perfectly as if it was taken on my phone. I've been looking at multiple ones to see how it "feels" visually. I have to admit it's growing on me and when I look back on my regular IOS 6 screen it gives me a "claustrophobic" feeling. I realized that this new IOS style visually does gives a much cleaner, clearer, and more organized feel. So I already know that they've somewhat achieved what they were trying to do.

I also realized that while directly focusing on individual icons , it does seem "too" flat, but when you're just looking at it as a whole and skimming through it, the graphics kinda recede and "blend in" beautifully with the rest of the phone just like Ives said in the video. Everything isnt as " in your face " as it was before, it's more peaceful and less "noisy". It's like watching a cohesive basketball team where everyone utilizes one another and operates unselfishly instead of everyone trying to achieve individual attention and flashiness. Nobody on that team looks special one on one but when you see them operate together it's beautiful. So they definitely knew at least somewhat what they were doing. I just wish there was a way to tone down the "pastel" iness of it but I have a feeling once I use it I'll slowly grow to not notice it.

If you're focusing directly on individual aspects of it visually then they do seem flawed by appearing too "flat" or too "plain" , but when you see how it blends together as whole and look at it as a forest instead of individually examining each tree then it makes more sense. It reminds me of that oh so famous Aristotle quote.

" The whole is greater than the sum of its' parts "

RobNYC
Jun 12, 2013, 11:27 AM

They weren't releasing game changes ever year when Jobs was there either. There was a few years between the introduction to the iPod and the iPhone. In between all you got were updated iPods but nothing major.

Plus I'm not sure what people expect in yearly software updates. This would probably be the biggest change to the mobile OS since the introduction of third party apps in 2008.

afinch1992
Jun 12, 2013, 11:32 AM
I was planning on moving from my Galaxy Note II to iphone as soon as the 5s or 6 came out this fall and this sent it over the top for me. Yes, it was long over due, but necessary evolution nonetheless

Tyrolier
Jun 12, 2013, 11:44 AM
I'm not blown away at all by those 2D icons. I download a few images, put them on my iphone out in the sunlight. they were very hard to see compared to what 6 has, imho.

As for the features in 7, THAT promises to be very interesting indeed even if late in coming to iOS.

Perhaps some developers will put together an 'app' which would allow you to select which 'style' of icons you want. I, for one, am not put off by the 3D skeuomorphic iconography. Imho, I think it's good to be 'classy' *and* have the new features. Why should Apple be an 'also ran' in the mobile OS race?

bchery21
Jun 12, 2013, 01:38 PM
I don't think anyone would really consider themselves blown away. Even if Android showcased these features a year ago, when they were showing it off I wasn't blown away either. Maybe I'm focusing on your term "blown away" too much but in the end, an update to any OS will not blow me away...

----------

hahahahaha.

again. hahahahahahah

Lol, I know. Technically, people in the United States are pronouncing the English language wrong; they have a "slang" you could say...

BvizioN
Jun 12, 2013, 01:43 PM
This is incredible!! I mean for years (until a week ago) we have been complaining about the lack of so many features on iOS, including the outdated UI! Now the only thing we are left to complain about is few icons design and colours :)

Outrigger
Jun 12, 2013, 03:36 PM

you really need to do some fact checking before posting things that make you look really foolish.

loybond
Jun 12, 2013, 04:16 PM
No, they are not "technically" pronouncing it wrong. They speak American English. It's not slang. It's a different dialect, arguably a different language altogether.

Lol, I know. Technically, people in the United States are pronouncing the English language wrong; they have a "slang" you could say...

No, its spelled aluminum in North America.

I assume you leave out second (i) when you pronounce it, as you did when you spelled it.

darngooddesign
Jun 12, 2013, 04:22 PM

We English... :rolleyes: :D

Michael Goff
Jun 12, 2013, 04:22 PM
How so? My first sentence was referring to hardware, physical products, my second sentence was about the software.

Really?

Every year they released a "game changer" in terms of hardware? EVERY year?

AppleMark
Jun 12, 2013, 04:25 PM

Did you post this for a dare?

He is English and was speaking in English and pronounced the word, in the way it is supposed to be pronounced in English.

What's the problem?

darngooddesign
Jun 12, 2013, 04:26 PM

They do not conflict eachother. You can be excited about something that is not a game changer.

Michael CM1
Jun 12, 2013, 08:20 PM

WTF? Sometimes I hate the language. I have never, ever seen it spelled that way or heard it pronounced that way aside from Jony.

OK, he's off the hook. Now someone design me a time machine to find the fool(s) who decided to change it over here. Same thing with dropping all the u's from words. Were our ancestors on this continent THAT uneducated?

(Yes, I know they apparently were)

charlituna
Jun 12, 2013, 08:25 PM
Some icons have gradients (messages, weather, camera) or shadows (settings), others only a white background (photos, game center), some have a very textured and bubbly look (game center again), while other exhibit more design elements of what has been lately referred to as "flat design" (stocks, compass, newsstand). I personally find the latter the most well-designed and pleasing to the eye.

Add to this that some are confusing in regards to reflecting what they are for (Settings and Game Center come to mind) and I agree with all of this.

They need to pick one way and stick with it. I myself am find with them removing the gradients and shadows. Simply the Stocks and perhaps Newstand and trade out Settings and Game Center for something that makes more sense.

And I wouldn't mind if Safari went back to the blue background.

xcodeaddict
Jun 12, 2013, 08:26 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sJJDxcXZbXA/UO2z-0H1guI/AAAAAAAAAC0/fD6Y26KnjOk/s1600/Facepalm.png

The-Real-Deal82
Jun 13, 2013, 01:49 AM
Me English :cool:

I didn't say I could speak it fluently, but its the only language I speak. ;)

j4zb4
Jun 13, 2013, 02:22 AM
hahahahaha.

again. hahahahahahah

Gamecenter had an icon for Chess. Do you play Chess in gamecenter? No. GameCenter is a social tool. Lets leave the chess and rocketship icons to the actual apps where you play those things.

"Sir" Jonathan Ive... SIR. You do realize he's British... right? It's spelled Aluminium in English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium

Image (http://i.stack.imgur.com/jiFfM.jpg)

you really need to do some fact checking before posting things that make you look really foolish.

Did you post this for a dare?

He is English and was speaking in English and pronounced the word, in the way it is supposed to be pronounced in English.

What's the problem?

It made me lol so hard...

Reminded me of this...

http://joyreactor.com/post/286867