PDA

View Full Version : Why do Apple keep on making mistakes after another?

WWDC2013
Jun 11, 2013, 09:48 PM
First, they failed to release a larger 4.8~5" iPhone in addition to the release of the 4" iPhone 5....

Second, iOS was stale because the lack of functionality... The icons didn't need any major redesign, it was the functionalities that were so lacking. iOS7 violates Apple's value for ease of use and the design is extremely controversial.

Third, why was there no retina display on the macbook air? Other ultrabook competitors have up-ed their screen res, Apple is behind.... yet again.

likemyorbs
Jun 11, 2013, 09:49 PM
I like iOS 7. And 5" is too big. If that's what you want, there are plenty of options for you.

falconeight
Jun 11, 2013, 09:50 PM
First, they failed to release a larger 4.8~5" iPhone in addition to the release of the 4" iPhone 5....

Second, iOS was stale because the lack of functionality... The icons didn't need any major redesign, it was the functionalities that were so lacking. iOS7 violates Apple's value for ease of use and the design is extremely controversial.

Third, why was there no retina display on the macbook air? Other ultrabook competitors have up-ed their screen res, Apple is behind.... yet again.

You registered to say that?

ZacNicholson
Jun 11, 2013, 09:52 PM
my girlfriend says 4 inches is big enough, but she did get me some kind of pump for my birthday. so what do i know?:confused:

joneun
Jun 11, 2013, 09:53 PM

Apple cannot function without Steve Jobs, as history has shown. They don't make changes where they count, even though they could.

This is right about the 3rd consecutive letdown. Apple is struggling right now as visionary is concerned. Any other company, and there would've been some serious shifts in management.

Apple is going to die a slow and painful death.

WWDC2013
Jun 11, 2013, 09:56 PM
That is what I'm really afraid of.... Apple had the shot to make things right in WWDC 2013... But they completely blew it imo

joneun
Jun 11, 2013, 09:59 PM
Ios7 was the most disappointing. A high point of WWDC was the MacBook Air all day battery life. I like Mavericks.

But they saved the worst for last. IOS7. smh

I believe that Apple is lost.

dec.
Jun 11, 2013, 10:00 PM
The reactions are going from "blowed it completely" to "best WWDC in a long time". They did a good job, a lot of it is a matter of personal preferences.

scottish
Jun 11, 2013, 10:01 PM
That is what I'm really afraid of.... Apple had the shot to make things right in WWDC 2013... But they completely blew it imo

Not in plenty of others though.

waa1futs
Jun 11, 2013, 10:02 PM

"imo" being the key word there. I'm sure the sales numbers will disagree ;)

WWDC2013
Jun 11, 2013, 10:02 PM
The reactions are going from "blowed it completely" to "best WWDC in a long time". They did a good job, a lot of it is a matter of personal preferences.

This is bad because Apple doesn't allow users to customize.... so say 50% of the current iOS users like iOS7, and the other 50% don't.... APPLE IS TOASTED!!!!!

No wonder iOS6 adoption is currently as high as 93%!!! It's because people were not afraid to upgrade, everything looked the same.... but with iOS7.... dont count on having 93% adoption!!!

cmanderson
Jun 11, 2013, 10:03 PM

It's a thickness thing. It's a battery thing. It's a price point thing. Also, a differentiator thing. Finally, a "thing" to help sell more MacBook Pro's with Retina Display (probably the least of their worries.)

The MacBook Air has effectively replaced the original MacBook and is the "MacBook for the rest of us", so to speak. Ultimately you'll see Retina or similar style screens on MacBook Air, but it's not here yet for those reasons and a few others.

joneun
Jun 11, 2013, 10:04 PM
It's a thickness thing. It's a battery thing. It's a price point thing. Also, a differentiator thing. Finally, a "thing" to help sell more MacBook Pro's with Retina Display (probably the least of their worries.)

The MacBook Air has effectively replaced the original MacBook and is the "MacBook for the rest of us", so to speak. Ultimately you'll see Retina or similar style screens on MacBook Air, but it's not here yet for those reasons and a few others.

True, but even if they had increased the display by just a little bit, sales would've been through the roof. I do think they don't want people to upgrade quickly like that yet.

I can keep my current MacBook Air.

kerrikins
Jun 11, 2013, 10:05 PM
I do wonder if Steve Jobs found it flattering yet frustrating to to be considered the only good person working at Apple, since apparently that's what a lot of people think...

Apple has been a juggernaut over the last few years, with success after success in a way that most companies have never seen, nor will they ever. The thing is, the market was starting to catch up even when Steve Jobs was still alive, and that's to be expected. It's very, very rare for companies to innovate and stay out ahead of the pack for years and years - look at Nintendo as an example.

It would take epic mismanagement at this point for Apple to crumble back to the state they were in when Steve stepped in years ago, and only time will tell if that's what's going to happen here - there's no way for us to tell at this point.

WWDC2013
Jun 11, 2013, 10:06 PM
True, but even if they had increased the display by just a little bit, sales would've been through the roof. I do think they don't want people to upgrade quickly like that yet.

This. Apple then makes tons more money, but now people are buying windows ultra books instead...

joneun
Jun 11, 2013, 10:08 PM
I do wonder if Steve Jobs found it flattering yet frustrating to to be considered the only good person working at Apple, since apparently that's what a lot of people think...

Apple has been a juggernaut over the last few years, with success after success in a way that most companies have never seen, nor will they ever. The thing is, the market was starting to catch up even when Steve Jobs was still alive, and that's to be expected. It's very, very rare for companies to innovate and stay out ahead of the pack for years and years - look at Nintendo as an example.

It would take epic mismanagement at this point for Apple to crumble back to the state they were in when Steve stepped in years ago, and only time will tell if that's what's going to happen here - there's no way for us to tell at this point.

It's already happening.

Evoken
Jun 11, 2013, 10:08 PM
1. First, they failed to release a larger 4.8~5" iPhone in addition to the release of the 4" iPhone 5....

2. Second, iOS was stale because the lack of functionality... The icons didn't need any major redesign, it was the functionalities that were so lacking. iOS7 violates Apple's value for ease of use and the design is extremely controversial.

3. Third, why was there no retina display on the macbook air? Other ultrabook competitors have up-ed their screen res, Apple is behind.... yet again.

1. Saying that they "failed" to release something presupposes that they, in fact, announced or planned to release that something. Apple had no plans to release such a phone when they released the iPhone 5 (their jabs at phones with larger screens show that), ergo it cannot be said that they "failed" to release it.

2. I personally don't like the new icons but in order for Apple to truly revamp iOS with new functionalities a design overhaul was necessary to accommodate them. Apple couldn't just keep cramming functionality into the OS while keeping everything as it was. iOS was also feeling quite dated from a design standpoint as the excessive skeuomorphism it had in many parts was at odds with what is considered good interface design today.

3. And for all that I am willing to bet that the new MacBook Airs best these new ultrabooks with their high res screens in terms of performance, durability, battery life and overall value. Unlike the PC manufacturers, Apple doesn't plays race when it comes to pushing out models with the latest and greatest technologies.

WWDC2013
Jun 11, 2013, 10:10 PM
1. Saying that they "failed" to release something presupposes that they, in fact, announced or planned to release that something. Apple had no plans to release such a phone when they released the iPhone 5 (their jabs at phones with larger screens show that), ergo it cannot be said that they "failed" to release it.

2. I personally don't like the new icons but in order for Apple to truly revamp iOS with new functionalities a design overhaul was necessary to accommodate them. Apple couldn't just keep cramming functionality into the OS while keeping everything as it was. iOS was also feeling quite dated from a design standpoint as the excessive skeuomorphism it had in many parts was at odds with what is considered good interface design today.

3. And for all that I am willing to bet that the new MacBook Airs best these new ultrabooks with their high res screens in terms of performance, durability, battery life and overall value. Unlike the PC manufacturers, Apple doesn't plays race when it comes to pushing out models with the latest and greatest technologies.

Because of #1 Samsung is becoming a serious cancer to Apple
Because of #2 Apple is being called as copycat (which used to be Samsung)
Because of #3 People are considering Windows ultrabooks for the very first time...

cmanderson
Jun 11, 2013, 10:15 PM

If you bought one in the last year or two, that's probably wise unless you value batter life above all else, or you just have to play Diablo III with a bit better frame rate than before. :rolleyes:

A lot of business travelers would love to trade in their MacBook Air 13" for the 2013 model, even without the display bump some of you are clamoring for. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but it's not happening right now for those reasons.

I bought a 15" MacBook Pro Retina and sold my 2011 MacBook Air 13" last year. I don't regret it at all - and that's after having paid twice what the MBA cost in July 2011.

joneun
Jun 11, 2013, 10:18 PM
I really like the "Apple All Day Battery" that's a very valuable feature.

I already know that with this new technology, they will bring it to future products. The iPhone will be the next to get it l, which will be wonderful.

When I was watching the Keynote I said, "he doesn't really mean all day does he? 8 hours is not all day." And then he showed the clock fill up with more hours and I clapped.

cmanderson
Jun 11, 2013, 10:18 PM
It's already happening.

Amount in cash reserves in October 2011 - USD $81 billion

Steve Jobs passed away October 5, 2011. I was in San Francisco that day at an Oracle trade show. It was felt by many and I remember it well.

Amount in cash reserves in June 2013 - USD $145 billion.

They're hurting bad without Steve, I tell ya...JUST HURTING!

By the way, tell me if this Apple store reminds you of any recently announced Mac products:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/18/tim-cook-not-religious-about-holding-cash-66-of-apples-81b-in-cash-is-held-overseas/

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/23/apple-cash-q2-2013/

mainevent1536
Jun 11, 2013, 10:19 PM

Steve Jobs passed away October 5, 2011. I was in San Francisco that day at an Oracle trade show. It was felt by many and I remember it well.

How will they ever survive?! :eek:

daigohgoh
Jun 11, 2013, 10:19 PM
Dude, you are completely wrong.

This iOS7 is a breath of fresh air!

Not only doe the icons look up to date, the control center is much needed! No more sbsettings for me!

I love how everything is quasi translucent. Not even the jail breaking community could've themed this up!

And did you hear the applause! It wasn't clap because it was Apple, it was clap because they innovated out of their asses!

this is not a sarcastic post.

honestly, there's so much more to do for ios8 but this is the right step in leeching our dollars.

i'll be upgrading blindly. (well, maybe after I see the reviews first, semi blindly then.)

Anti-Lucifer
Jun 11, 2013, 10:21 PM
Dude, you are completely wrong.

This iOS7 is a breath of fresh air!

Not only doe the icons look up to date, the control center is much needed! No more sbsettings for me!

I love how everything is quasi translucent. Not even the jail breaking community could've themed this up!

And did you hear the applause! It wasn't clap because it was Apple, it was clap because they innovated out of their asses!

this is not a sarcastic post.

honestly, there's so much more to do for ios8 but this is the right step in leeching our dollars.

i'll be upgrading blindly. (well, maybe after I see the reviews first, semi blindly then.)

are you joking? It's the exact same OS underneath. Only the bad thing is the components are written from the ground up to Forstall's exact standards and design. Now Ive's comes in and hacks it up which obviously doesn't work well at all.

If you think this is anything more than a winterboard theme, you're sorely mistaken. It's the EXACT SAME OS without textures and buttons. It's terrible!

joneun
Jun 11, 2013, 10:23 PM

By the way, tell me if this Apple store reminds you of any recently announced Mac products:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/18/tim-cook-not-religious-about-holding-cash-66-of-apples-81b-in-cash-is-held-overseas/

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/23/apple-cash-q2-2013/

Yes, and I wonder how much of that is going to last after Apple fails competitively and starts becoming irrelevant.

cmanderson
Jun 11, 2013, 10:25 PM
are you joking? It's the exact same OS underneath. Only the bad thing is the components are written from the ground up to Forstall's exact standards and design. Now Ive's comes in and hacks it up which obviously doesn't work well at all.

If you think this is anything more than a winterboard theme, you're sorely mistaken. It's the EXACT SAME OS without textures and buttons. It's terrible!

Come on Jesus (Anti-Lucifer), don't turn this into a religious war or anything of the sort. :o

----------

Yes, and I wonder how much of that is going to last after Apple fails competitively and starts becoming irrelevant.

A LOOOOOOOOOONG time.

Evoken
Jun 11, 2013, 10:25 PM
It's the EXACT SAME OS without textures and buttons. It's terrible!

So, how are AirDrop and Control Center working out for you on iOS 6? :)

WWDC2013
Jun 11, 2013, 10:27 PM
Karma from Sony

Drunken Master
Jun 11, 2013, 10:27 PM
my girlfriend says 4 inches is big enough, but she did get me some kind of pump for my birthday. so what do i know?:confused:

Tell her that's not your bag, baby.

Anti-Lucifer
Jun 11, 2013, 10:38 PM

AIRDROP is fantastic. It works so well and compared to some bumpity bumping samsung crap, you don't need to get eSTD's by using Airdrop.

Control center is a meh - JB iphone can do the same things.

The biggest feature and the greatest I think is the activation lock - it really does work and that is worth the praise.

PhoneI
Jun 11, 2013, 10:45 PM
Apple cannot function without Steve Jobs, as history has shown.

Yep, Steve Jobs never made any mistakes.

Now that I said that, I can go back to using Ping!

daigohgoh
Jun 11, 2013, 10:48 PM

ya, i do see your point about it being winterboard-ish.

But even winterboards provided a nice refresh when things gets stale.

I like this change for the sake of change. Hell, why don't we just whip something up on Microsoft Paint?

I'm glad they put this out. I feel it's fresh, slick, and keeping up with the competitor's theme (Holo and Metro.)

Evoken
Jun 11, 2013, 10:49 PM
AIRDROP is fantastic. It works so well and compared to some bumpity bumping samsung crap...

Definitely, I always felt that the whole phone bumping thing to send a photo/playlist/directions/webpage was awkward. I don't really feel that's the best use of NFC and a wireless solution is far more elegant.

beyondthepale35
Jun 11, 2013, 10:56 PM
Definitely, I always felt that the whole phone bumping thing to send a photo/playlist/directions/webpage was awkward. I don't really feel that's the best use of NFC and a wireless solution is far more elegant.

Its proprietary to Apple though, beauty of NFC is I can share things from my WP8 to Android and vice versa. Cross platform standards are a beautiful thing...

darngooddesign
Jun 11, 2013, 11:01 PM

Gee and I thought they already failed. :rolleyes:

iBreatheApple
Jun 11, 2013, 11:11 PM
It's already happening.

Oh quit being dramatic. We are in beta ONE. Nothing has officially been released yet. They could potentially changed a million and one things by GM.

bertishere
Jun 11, 2013, 11:28 PM
I like iOS 7. And 5" is too big. If that's what you want, there are plenty of options for you.

actually, it's opposite. there aren't plenty of options for me.

if you can point me to an phone with a 5" screen that runs iOS, that'd be great.

just because 5" is too big for you, doesn't mean it's not ideal for anyone else.

come on people, NOT EVERYTHING REVOLVES AROUND YOU.

NewishMacGuy
Jun 11, 2013, 11:32 PM

1. Huge phones are very awkward if you have normal sized hands and pockets.

2. Seems as if there are several serious functionality upgrades in iOS7. After playing around with several Android, WinPhone, and Blackberry systems at the ATT store, nothing even came close to iOS7, or iOS6 for that matter.

3. Apple does make a retina MBA, it's just called the rMBP-13.

___

WWDC2013
Jun 11, 2013, 11:35 PM
Which one is worse, iOS7 or Metro UI?

joneun
Jun 11, 2013, 11:37 PM
Which one is worse, iOS7 or Metro UI?

ios7 at least Windows 8 was consistent and professional.

Jordan921
Jun 12, 2013, 12:45 AM

To you they blew it. I don't think they did.

bogoss
Jun 12, 2013, 01:27 AM
is Apple making all the changes just for the change? because people complaint it hasn't changed enough since Jobs has gone? or because there's too much Forstall in it that's unpleasant? or we have run out of cats so it has to rebuild its product philosophy? Mavericks, what the hell, jump off that cliff already, whoever came up with this idea...

likemyorbs
Jun 12, 2013, 09:26 AM
come on people, NOT EVERYTHING REVOLVES AROUND YOU.

Uhh....I'm not the one whining about it. Your dream device is not in production, and it may never be.

applelover1016
Jun 12, 2013, 10:02 AM
if ios 7 is as bad as you say, apple is toasted and all that. Jump ship now:D, no is stopping you or blaming you. Different strokes for different folks. I think ios 7 has alot to offer that it didnt before. I personally think control center stole the show. I no longer have to go to the settings app to change wifi on or off sounds good to me. Instead of bashing apple about how they are failing and toasted go to another platform lol

~just saying :D

vmachiel
Jun 12, 2013, 10:17 AM
iOS7 is great. They are really trying something new. Features that they "took" from android like quick settings: that's just how design works. You take other good ideas and add to them. Apple's done some cool stuff that android copied. That's how they both grow.

NT1440
Jun 12, 2013, 10:20 AM

Says the person completely ignorant of the new technologies behind the scene....

:rolleyes:

bertishere
Jun 12, 2013, 10:35 AM
Uhh....I'm not the one whining about it. Your dream device is not in production, and it may never be.

apple is screwed if they don't release a bigger device.

i, and many MANY people that i know, want a bigger phone.

give us the option. 4" and 5"

egraphixstudios
Jun 12, 2013, 10:36 AM
IOS7 with a 4.5" phone would be perfect.

NT1440
Jun 12, 2013, 10:40 AM

How do you go 5" without screwing over the entire developer community?

Eadfrith
Jun 12, 2013, 10:40 AM
WWDC2013 and joneun sound like the same person ;);)

vannibombonato
Jun 12, 2013, 10:45 AM

You people are incredible.

If Apple will see that there is a market big enough to justify such a phone, AND they feel they can build a device that is up to their standards and ecosystem, they WILL design and release it, because they do care about making money.
I kind of have the impression they do have some real market data and big picture feeling to make such a decision, other than browsing forums filled with whiners.

johndallas999
Jun 12, 2013, 10:52 AM

Airdrop, couldn't care less. Control Center - SBSettings. :rolleyes:

----------

if ios 7 is as bad as you say, apple is toasted and all that. Jump ship now:D, no is stopping you or blaming you. Different strokes for different folks. I think ios 7 has alot to offer that it didnt before. I personally think control center stole the show. I no longer have to go to the settings app to change wifi on or off sounds good to me. Instead of bashing apple about how they are failing and toasted go to another platform lol

~just saying :D

Ok, so for the people that have iphone, ipad mini, ipad, ipod we just need to sell everything? :rolleyes:

Menel
Jun 12, 2013, 10:59 AM

Third, why was there no retina display on the macbook air? Other ultrabook competitors have up-ed their screen res, Apple is behind.... yet again.They didn't fail at a 4.8" iPhone release, they made a calculated decision not to. And it was correct, and a win. Based on the market performance of the iPhone 5 release.

Apple consistently refuses to make trade offs. If a feature cant be done how they want, axe it.

E.g. LTE. Was long delayed until they could have with 10hr batt. life.

Retina would not have allowed 12hr all day use.

IPhone UI
Control Center, dozens, if not 100's of new API, Safari, Push Triggers, AirDrop. Tons of new functionality.

Did you even watch keynote? Im doubtful.

vannibombonato
Jun 12, 2013, 10:59 AM
Airdrop, couldn't care less. Control Center - SBSettings. :rolleyes:

----------

Ok, so for the people that have iphone, ipad mini, ipad, ipod we just need to sell everything? :rolleyes:

If you think there are better products out there, why not?

zbarvian
Jun 12, 2013, 11:11 AM
I really think they're trying to listen too much to users, if you will grant me that claim. Previously, they had conviction both in creation and execution. iOS 7 really feels like a response to nearly all the criticisms and suggestions offered in websites like this. Hell, it even looks like a concept mockup. But I think in the process of catering to users too much, they're losing creativity and execution (polished design). They're trying too hard, too fast.

bertishere
Jun 12, 2013, 01:47 PM
How do you go 5" without screwing over the entire developer community?

easy.. apple gives the tools necessary to the developers to make apps that aren't dependent on the resolution.. kind of how apps work on desktop computers and android devices

you release 1 version, and then the app gets optimized to the appropriate size.

now i know you're gonna say "well android does this but it doesn't always look good". i'm sure if developers took the time, they would be able to optimize apps for any screen without you even noticing a difference.