PDA

View Full Version : AirPlay desktop broken

cclloyd
Jun 11, 2013, 10:01 PM
I know it's a beta, but is AirPlay desktop basically broken for anyone else? It's cropped, even with overscan on and off on the ATV, and the multi monitor full screen apps don't work properly. Is it just super glitchy for anyone else or am I just horrible?

negativzero
Jun 11, 2013, 10:11 PM
Nope, its all you. AirPlay works as expected on my :apple:TV3

And you need to select the option to extend the desktop, not mirror it if you want edge to edge display on your :apple:TV.

PhyrePhox
Jun 12, 2013, 11:09 AM
Take pity on me: how do you turn on AirPlay desktop to the Apple TV? Do only certain Macs support it? I have a 2009 13" MBP.

PhyrePhox
Jun 12, 2013, 01:02 PM
Take pity on me: how do you turn on AirPlay desktop to the Apple TV? Do only certain Macs support it? I have a 2009 13" MBP.

Oh, i see: only Macs with h/w h.264 decoding can do AirPlay Desktop. So, not me :-(

Geomar7
Jun 12, 2013, 01:55 PM
I have a MBA 2012 and I don't have the option of airplay... Does anyone else face the same problem with Mavericks?

CTay
Jun 12, 2013, 02:26 PM

If it is the same as Moutain Lion....Not supported on 2009 MBP.

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 12, 2013, 03:15 PM
Oh, i see: only Macs with h/w h.264 decoding can do AirPlay Desktop. So, not me :-(
Encoding, not decoding.

cmChimera
Jun 13, 2013, 09:21 AM
I was going to make a thread about this but I can just ask here.

I just recently purchased an Apple TV so I'm not sure. I experimented with the airplay extended desktop mode. Anyway, I noticed that 1. It was a little laggy, which I just figured is a beta issue. 2. I tried playing movies with DTS sound. My question regarding that is, do I need an Optical audio cable? Or can the HDMI carry the digital audio? The Apple TV is hooked up directly to my receiver via HDMI.

StevenT42
Jun 13, 2013, 02:04 PM
You have to have the beta version of Apple TV software released Monday to use AirPlay features properly.

activate
Jun 13, 2013, 07:23 PM
I was going to make a thread about this but I can just ask here.

I just recently purchased an Apple TV so I'm not sure. I experimented with the airplay extended desktop mode. Anyway, I noticed that 1. It was a little laggy, which I just figured is a beta issue. 2. I tried playing movies with DTS sound. My question regarding that is, do I need an Optical audio cable? Or can the HDMI carry the digital audio? The Apple TV is hooked up directly to my receiver via HDMI.
Your question is more specific to Apple Tv hardware rather than maverick. The HDMI can carry digital audio eg. DTS. However, if you have a high definition soundtrack eg. DTS MA, you require an optical cable. I do not know and I am guessing that Airplay cannot handle DTS MA.

cclloyd
Jun 14, 2013, 02:39 PM
Your question is more specific to Apple Tv hardware rather than maverick. The HDMI can carry digital audio eg. DTS. However, if you have a high definition soundtrack eg. DTS MA, you require an optical cable. I do not know and I am guessing that Airplay cannot handle DTS MA.

Well all the videos I play are encoded with ac3, not DTS. But it's more a video issue.

carlylemiii
Jun 19, 2013, 02:36 AM
This is absolutely wrong: only HDMI has the necessary bandwidth to carry an HD audio track like DTS-HD MA, and optical would only carry the core stream, DTS. That said, I'm also curious if under an AirPlay situation with Mavericks, the Apple TV would be able to output DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD. :)