PDA

View Full Version : Parallax is awful

utahman130
Jun 11, 2013, 10:12 PM
It's a nice little gimmick, but it annoys me.

You can turn it off. Go to Settings>Accessibility>Then turn "Reduce Motion" on

Intell
Jun 11, 2013, 10:13 PM
There is an option to turn it off. Look in the accessibility settings.

Anti-Lucifer
Jun 11, 2013, 10:18 PM
Apple should include an option to turn it off. It's a nice little gimmick, but it annoys me.

This is the sort of skeumorphism from Jony Ive's. Instead of table cloths and ripped papers and denim textures, you have super mario bros parallaxism going on which serves zero purpose. Eye candy yes, but it just wastes battery life.

Rogifan
Jun 11, 2013, 10:24 PM
This is the sort of skeumorphism from Jony Ive's. Instead of table cloths and ripped papers and denim textures, you have super mario bros parallaxism going on which serves zero purpose. Eye candy yes, but it just wastes battery life.

You can turn it off. Problem solved. Meanwhile other people might actually be enjoying it.

utahman130
Jun 11, 2013, 10:24 PM

Thank you!

Liberachi86
Jun 11, 2013, 10:25 PM
I dig it

Anti-Lucifer
Jun 11, 2013, 10:25 PM
You can turn it off. Problem solved. Meanwhile other people might actually be enjoying it.

Right, people enjoy titling their phones around all day long to see their wallpaper move a few millimeters :rolleyes:

A waste of resources this gimmick feature is. Just admit it y'all!

Drunken Master
Jun 11, 2013, 10:26 PM

I love Super Mario Bros.

Rogifan
Jun 11, 2013, 10:27 PM
Right, people enjoy titling their phones around all day long to see their wallpaper move a few millimeters :rolleyes:

I haven't used it so I have no idea. But since it can be turned off I'm not too concerned about it.

ionjohn
Jun 11, 2013, 10:29 PM
i figured out there was an option too, i'm positively sure it saves battery life

Anti-Lucifer
Jun 11, 2013, 10:30 PM
I haven't used it so I have no idea. But since it can be turned off I'm not too concerned about it.

I think that's the ONLY thing different when someone picks up an iPhone. They will see the exact same grid icons, the exact same layouts. Sad part is you can't turn off that grid layout.

And the worse thing is that it's so subtle that you look at it for a few seconds then show it off to your friends who all have android phones and will laugh back at you because you look stupid praising a gimmick they already have on their gimmicky android phones since 2010.

Silvereel
Jun 11, 2013, 11:24 PM
I think that's the ONLY thing different when someone picks up an iPhone. They will see the exact same grid icons, the exact same layouts. Sad part is you can't turn off that grid layout.

And the worse thing is that it's so subtle that you look at it for a few seconds then show it off to your friends who all have android phones and will laugh back at you because you look stupid praising a gimmick they already have on their gimmicky android phones since 2010.

Yeah, it'd be so much better if you could turn off the grid, pile icons on top of one another, and have huge, barren spaces all over your phone. Kind of like a poorly managed Windows 95 desktop.

apollo1444
Jun 11, 2013, 11:29 PM

we don't need to know how the hell you view things, just turn it off if you don't like it.

MVallee
Jun 11, 2013, 11:34 PM
Yeah, it'd be so much better if you could turn off the grid, pile icons on top of one another, and have huge, barren spaces all over your phone. Kind of like a poorly managed Windows 95 desktop.

Amen! I don't understand all the hate for the way the apps are managed.

41qser
Jun 11, 2013, 11:50 PM
OMG Apple should include an option to adjust the brightness of the screen!!!

Jordan921
Jun 12, 2013, 12:05 AM

You don't like it we get it. Turn it off and get over it.

Luuthian
Jun 12, 2013, 12:11 AM
If this is anything like Android live wallpaper, it will barely consume more than 2% of your total battery life. Unless it really annoys you, there's no need to turn it off for the sake of saving battery.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/5-myths-about-improving-your-smartphone-battery-life_id33618#3-Using-live-wallpapers-on-your-Android-phone-significantly-decreases-battery-life

technowar
Jun 12, 2013, 08:46 AM
What is Parallax for?

MonkeySee....
Jun 12, 2013, 08:48 AM
Apple should include an option to turn it off. It's a nice little gimmick, but it annoys me.

Fail

Win

:D

Mac21ND
Jun 12, 2013, 08:49 AM
I thought I heard the parallax effect is not only on the home screens, but also within the apps - like on the Share Sheets or other dialogues. Is that true? It was the concept of layers within the UI that Ive was trying to get across I guess.

dominic252
Jun 12, 2013, 08:50 AM
Honestly, I turned it off initially because of the glitches with the wallpapers, but I actually started missing it so I turned it back on. I really like what it does to the phone

baller1308
Jun 12, 2013, 08:51 AM
What is Parallax for?
It's supposed to give you phone some depth. The background will move when you tilt your phone.

MastahRiz
Jun 12, 2013, 09:10 AM
It's a cool and well implemented effect but I prefer to have it off too. My wallpapers just look better that way.

Can't seem to find the setting to disable it though.

EDIT: It turns off when you enable "Reduce Motion."
The wallpaper is still stretched on the lock screen though despite being the right resolution. Hate that.

JacinTatt
Jun 12, 2013, 09:13 AM
Parallax is awful

That's your opinion.

Jimmy James
Jun 12, 2013, 09:18 AM
I thought the Green Lantern eliminated Parallax?

Cayennr
Jun 12, 2013, 09:18 AM
I thought I heard the parallax effect is not only on the home screens, but also within the apps - like on the Share Sheets or other dialogues. Is that true? It was the concept of layers within the UI that Ive was trying to get across I guess.

I have also noticed the parallax effect on the silent/volume box thingie. (Oh, God, Iím terrible at explaining things.)

hafr
Jun 12, 2013, 09:20 AM

It's not about watching the wallpaper move around, it's about giving the phone's UI some depth and dynamics instead of just a flat screen.

Heh, "flatter design" my ass ;)

acctman
Jun 12, 2013, 10:59 AM

actually not true, its dependent upon your wallpaper size. if you have a landscape wallpaper or panorama you can tilt and view the entire thing. your remarks are standard of people who choose not to explorer and just assume limitations.

mchart
Jun 12, 2013, 11:02 AM
I enjoy the effect.

Although it should be noted that the effect looks better with certain types of backgrounds. It can look like crap or do almost nothing at all for certain backgrounds.

Kissaragi
Jun 12, 2013, 11:17 AM

Amazingly, everyone is different. Theres an option to turn it off if you don't like, theres nothing to complain about

Brittany246
Jun 12, 2013, 11:17 AM
I thought it was ok... Nothing special.

baller1308
Jun 12, 2013, 11:19 AM
I think the panorama images move too fast. If you don't have a complete 360 degree panorama then it abruptly stops once you reach the end. I think a slower and more gradual side scrolling would be better.

HitchHykr
Jun 12, 2013, 11:27 AM

I can't believe nobody has said this already...

Maybe you are holding it wrong?

BvizioN
Jun 12, 2013, 11:28 AM

Why whining about something you have the option NOT to have? The effect looks nice IMO! When I get tired with it, I would turn it OFF! End of drama!!

Vertigo50
Jun 12, 2013, 11:42 AM
Come on! He's one of the best Green Lantern villains! :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ea/Parallax_rebirth.jpg

syd430
Jun 12, 2013, 11:46 AM
What is Parallax for?

It was a last minute gimmick thrown in to appease all the people complaining about the grid being too static.

Probably one of the few times that management should have actually asked "what would steve do?"

Because i'm sure his response would have been **** NO.

Anti-Lucifer
Jun 12, 2013, 11:48 AM
It was a last minute gimmick thrown in to appease all the people complaining about the grid being too static.

Probably one of the few times that management should have actually asked "what would steve do?".

becareful - calling anything a gimmick apple poops out here on macrumors is considered offensive, trolling, and evil.

upsguy27
Jun 12, 2013, 11:51 AM
becareful - calling anything a gimmick apple poops out here on macrumors is considered offensive, trolling, and evil.

...then why are you here?

Rogifan
Jun 12, 2013, 12:16 PM
I'm sure when the general public get it this fall they won't think it's a gimmick.

mikeo007
Jun 12, 2013, 12:46 PM

That word doesn't mean what you think it means...

AlphaHumanus
Jun 12, 2013, 12:46 PM

I do actually. I enjoy the "life" it gives a UI i've been using day in and day out, for years now.

Don't like it? turn it off. Now if only I could say the same of you....

darngooddesign
Jun 12, 2013, 12:56 PM

I bet you hate drop shadows as well.

----------

...Heh, "flatter design" my ass ;)

LOL. The only people who claimed iOS7 was going to be flat were those who had no idea what Apple was up to.

Vol7ron
Jun 12, 2013, 01:17 PM
when iOS 7 is released, you will have thousands of people tilting their phones...I for one think it is a subtle effect that does add to the experience. Would I be heart broken if they removed it...no. Of course, should it begin to kill my battery life, then that is another story...I will turn it off.

Holty123
Jun 12, 2013, 03:26 PM
I like it

Mrg02d
Jun 12, 2013, 03:29 PM
when iOS 7 is released, you will have thousands of people tilting their phones...I for one think it is a subtle effect that does add to the experience. Would I be heart broken if they removed it...no. Of course, should it begin to kill my battery life, then that is another story...I will turn it off.

How about a live (moving) wallpaper of thousands of new iOS 7 users all tilting their phones in unison?:cool:

EDIT: And everyone with one eye closed.

shortcrust
Jun 12, 2013, 04:09 PM
It looks amazing with one eye closed, but my stereoscopic vision rather ruins the effect.

darngooddesign
Jun 12, 2013, 04:13 PM

Probably one of the few times that management should have actually asked "what would steve do?"

Because i'm sure his response would have been **** NO.

Apple patented it under Steve Jobs.

cmichaelb
Jun 12, 2013, 04:35 PM
Parallax - interesting, fun, but fluff - how the app badge notifications are on another plane- interesting, neat, but not necessary.

My problem, and realizing it's still in beta, is the text on the app and folder labels can be hard to read against a light background. A lot of light colored text elements are harder to read against the lighter backgrounds. They really need to fix that- not everyone has the best vision.

I do like how the labels and text elements will switch to black with certain backgrounds which does help. Hopefully that logic gets refined.

The new icons are horrible, they look like late 1950's euro modernism/futurism. The color pallet is way to pastel(reminders, passbook, notes, safari, settings, contacts -so lifeless and dull. Game Center doesn't seem to fit in at all., to stark. Actually with parallax, they could have made a really nice 3D effect to the stock icons that would have popped.

I think the icons helped set iOS apart. Making them look more like the competition makes Apple's feel less unique, IMO.

Oh well, looking forward to watching how Apple refines it over the next several months.

Feature wise, lots of nice and much needed improvements- control center was a MUST.

technowar
Jun 12, 2013, 07:55 PM
We are still in beta 1 boys. We've got 3 or 4 more betas to go. If it still won't work for you babies, there's an off switch for it right? Or, better yet Android? Sheesh iOS 6 was boring, and now iOS 7 is flat and gimmicky.

xcodeaddict
Jun 12, 2013, 07:57 PM
"Parallax is awful"

And you thought we should be told? Why thanks, now I shall sleep better for having seen my 1000th useless thread tonight.

charlituna
Jun 12, 2013, 08:21 PM
It's supposed to give you phone some depth. The background will move when you tilt your phone.

But what is the practical function for this.

There is none, so why include it. Especially if they are going to nix shredder animations etc as being pointless

xcodeaddict
Jun 12, 2013, 08:23 PM
But what is the practical function for this.

There is none, so why include it. Especially if they are going to nix shredder animations etc as being pointless

Here, I bought something special just for you:

http://www.cleverkit.com/product_images/b/942/nokia_3310__13703_zoom.jpg

eaglesteve
Jun 12, 2013, 08:27 PM
It's NOT awful. I like it. It makes things a little bit more interesting.

charlituna
Jun 12, 2013, 08:31 PM

Image (http://www.cleverkit.com/product_images/b/942/nokia_3310__13703_zoom.jpg)

not wanting pointless cute tricks is NOT the same as needing to go back to dumb phones.
I will not apologize for wanting clean, bloat free code where everything included serves a functional purpose. If folks want cute crap they can jailbreak for it and bloat up their own stuff at their own risk

subsonix
Jun 12, 2013, 08:33 PM

Wow so flat, it's beautiful!

Bobby Corwen
Jun 12, 2013, 08:36 PM
Wow so flat, it's beautiful!

If you put a hologram mod inside you can get the paralax effect too!!

3bs
Jun 12, 2013, 08:39 PM

Just because you don't want to use it doesn't mean others don't. There's an on/off switch so why are you bothered by having extra features?

Knowlege Bomb
Jun 12, 2013, 08:42 PM
I've got very little movement on mine and what little I do have is very choppy. I set my home screen with a panorama wallpaper and still get very little. It looks nothing like what I saw in the intro video at WWDC.

Anybody else experiencing this?

Mrg02d
Jun 12, 2013, 08:49 PM

Image (http://www.cleverkit.com/product_images/b/942/nokia_3310__13703_zoom.jpg)

::::applauds::::

xcodeaddict
Jun 12, 2013, 08:52 PM
If you ask Jony nicely, and cross his palm with lottttts of silver, maybe he'll hand craft you an iPhone 5S out of al-you-minny-um and ask the coding team to write you your own iOS - try it, you never know! :p

Mrg02d
Jun 12, 2013, 08:54 PM
not wanting pointless cute tricks is NOT the same as needing to go back to dumb phones.
I will not apologize for wanting clean, bloat free code where everything included serves a functional purpose. If folks want cute crap they can jailbreak for it and bloat up their own stuff at their own risk

THEN.TURN.IT.OFF.

Why have art in your house? Just because you are flat doesn't mean Apple should make the rest of us suffer.

----------

Just because you don't want to use it doesn't mean others don't. There's an on/off switch so why are you bothered by having extra features?

I've wondered about this for years with apple folks...what is with people? What's it to them if someone else wants more eye candy?

I conduct business at my place of business on my works computers and my office phone. My iPhone doesn't need to be sterile as well.