Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RadDave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Hi All - I've been a member of MacRumors for several months - now I belong to a half dozen or so other forums and can usually visit once or twice a day or even every other day, and go through the new posts & threads w/o a problem which is what I prefer to do.

BUT, this site is SO BUSY that I cannot decide HOW to review the posts and threads; once a day in selecting 'New Posts' or 'Posts This Day' will bring up hundreds of new entries (today after a 24 hr absence the number was nearly a 1000!) - THUS, I would like suggestions from others more experienced here concerning how this plethora of information is best handled?

Are there options to consider to reduce this number of new posts to 'something' manageable on a daily visit? I don't know & cannot @ the moment find a solution. Some ideas: 1) Can I limit my search to threads w/ only few responses (e.g. 5 or less) - I like to read the newest threads; 2) Can the 'most active' posts be chosen (a choice on the iPad Forums); 3) Can a limited number of sub-forums be setup in your CP? I'm sure there might be other considerations, but please advise - I'd love to really look at all of the new posts but this is just impossible - thanks for any help - Dave :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't try to follow all sub-forums, but restrict my activities to those forums where I have an interest or have something to offer. I auto-subscribe to the threads that I post in, and use Forum Spy to watch for new threads in my selected forums. Even with that, it can add up to a lot of threads to track.

RadDave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Well, just one response to my question on 'managing' the cornucopia of messages on this VERY active forum!

For those interested, I am currently using 'advanced search' options - I mark 'Forums Read' in the Quick Links when logging out; then in the search boxes, I've been limiting the post responses to 5 or less and also search only those threads since my last visit - this has cut the number of posts over a day or less period by at least a half to even one-third. Seems to be fine w/ me - Dave :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Well, just one response to my question on 'managing' the cornucopia of messages on this VERY active forum!

For those interested, I am currently using 'advanced search' options - I mark 'Forums Read' in the Quick Links when logging out; then in the search boxes, I've been limiting the post responses to 5 or less and also search only those threads since my last visit - this has cut the number of posts over a day or less period by at least a half to even one-third. Seems to be fine w/ me - Dave :)

I can offer a couple suggestions. Go through the main forum list and "subscribe" to each forum you are interested in. Then bookmark your UserCP page and go to that each day as a place to start. All you will see at UserCP is a list of the forums you subscribed to. This page will also show message threads you have subscribed to.

Then go to "edit options" on the left side of UserCP. Look down about halfway and you will see this exclude forums box. Enter the forum number for all forum topic areas you do not want to appear when you click "new posts." Open the main forum list in a second browser window and if you hover your mouse over each forum you can see the number for that topic. It takes some time to do this, but it can greatly reduce the number of messages you see when you click new posts.

NI7qa0Q.png

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago

I think the reason you have had few replies is that what you view, where and how you do so is entirely up to you. You clearly know how to access the forum boards, and can select what you read and how.

In short, and without wishing to seem disrespectful, It's a question you can answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.