PDA

View Full Version : Wont restore back to 6.1.4

rossihvac
Jun 11, 2013, 11:11 PM
I am a legitimate dev who updated to iOS7 yesterday. Although i love the new look it is still way too buggy for me to use until my company buys us new iphone 5's to use as dev units. I tried downgrading using dfu on my imac and my mac mini on the mini i get an error code 21 and on my imac i get error code 14......everytime. i can restore back to 7.0 no problem, i even tried to just click on restore without directing to a file and itunes says the file that downloaded was corrupted, i dont get it!!! Any help will be appreciated.

NovemberWhiskey
Jun 11, 2013, 11:20 PM
Why don't you try redownloading 6.1.4.

Google ios 6.1.4 ipsw and you should find some sites. Then hold option when you click restore, and select the new file.

It's possible the old ipsw was corrupted.

apollo1444
Jun 11, 2013, 11:32 PM
you can find 6.1.3 here

www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/‎

6.1.4 is iPhone 5 only, maybe that's why its failing?

rossihvac
Jun 11, 2013, 11:51 PM
my iphone is a 5. i tried files from a few sources, i even tried 6.1.3 and it said that it wasnt being signed by apple anymore. I am going to try again in the am, i dont know what i could be missing though.

dimzen
Jun 12, 2013, 12:00 AM
On the iOS 7 Dev Center page, it says:
This is a pre-release version of iOS 7 beta for iPhone and iPod touch. Devices updated to iOS 7 beta can not be restored to earlier versions of iOS.

madmaxmedia
Jun 12, 2013, 12:05 AM
But you can go back- I did.

I'm on a 4S, non developer. All I did was DFU, and then click on 'restore' in iTunes when prompted. (I didn't option-click and manually select firmware.)

Phoboss
Jun 12, 2013, 03:39 AM
this would interest me as well. for iOS 6 it also said it couldn't be restored to iOS 5, but I went back and forth all the time on my dev phone.
can somebody try this please?

Fed
Jun 12, 2013, 03:44 AM
I restored mine back to v6.1.4 quite easily. I didn't know iTunes automatically downloaded the software for you. Very swift indeed.

philjohn
Jun 12, 2013, 04:59 AM
Just out of interest, when you've downgraded back to 6.1.4, has your baseband version gone back to 3.04.25, or stayed at the 4.x version that ships with IOS7?

rossihvac
Jun 12, 2013, 06:20 AM
I restored mine back to v6.1.4 quite easily. I didn't know iTunes automatically downloaded the software for you. Very swift indeed.

Are you on iPhone 5 or 4s?

JamesM
Jun 12, 2013, 06:25 AM
I went back to 6.1.4 half an hour ago, no problems.

philjohn
Jun 12, 2013, 06:27 AM
I went back to 6.1.4 half an hour ago, no problems.

what baseband/modem firmware version is showing in the about page?

JamesM
Jun 12, 2013, 06:42 AM

I've gone back to 7 now so its showing 4.14.01

I didn't check it when I was on 6.1.4

Fed
Jun 12, 2013, 06:56 AM
Are you on iPhone 5 or 4s?

Sorry I didn't check the specifics when posting, it's an iPhone 5 (UK).

melb00m
Jun 12, 2013, 07:00 AM
Just out of interest, when you've downgraded back to 6.1.4, has your baseband version gone back to 3.04.25, or stayed at the 4.x version that ships with IOS7?

I did install iOS 7 beta and downgrade yesterday on my iPhone 5. Baseband is now back to 3.04.25.

rossihvac
Jun 12, 2013, 07:49 AM
Sorry I didn't check the specifics when posting, it's an iPhone 5 (UK).

I don't get it, why won't this downgrade?

Fed
Jun 12, 2013, 07:54 AM
I don't get it, why won't this downgrade?

I followed this (http://www.iclarified.com/31004/how-to-downgrade-from-ios-7-beta-to-ios-6) until step 5 where, instead of downloading the file and selecting it in Finder, iTunes automatically downloaded it for me.

madmaxmedia
Jun 12, 2013, 09:28 AM

On my GSM 4S, I am at 3.4.03 now (back on 6.1.3)

rossihvac
Jun 12, 2013, 09:59 AM
I followed this (http://www.iclarified.com/31004/how-to-downgrade-from-ios-7-beta-to-ios-6) until step 5 where, instead of downloading the file and selecting it in Finder, iTunes automatically downloaded it for me.

When I try that, iTunes says the iPhone firmware is corrupt and that I should check my Internet connection and try again

madmaxmedia
Jun 12, 2013, 10:16 AM
Hmmm...I might have thought that the iTunes downloaded firmware was corrupt, but you've tried it a few times with manually downloaded firmware too right?

Really strange. I dot think there should be any reason it shouldn't work. Downgrading firmware is not a problem as long as apple is still signing the 'old' firmware. People here have done it with both 4S and 5 models too.

rossihvac
Jun 12, 2013, 10:18 AM
Hmmm...I might have thought that the iTunes downloaded firmware was corrupt, but you've tried it a few times with manually downloaded firmware too right?

Really strange. I dot think there should be any reason it shouldn't work. Downgrading firmware is not a problem as long as apple is still signing the 'old' firmware. People here have done it with both 4S and 5 models too.

I have tried manually downloaded files on two machines and I get the same results except on my Mac mini I get error 21

madmaxmedia
Jun 12, 2013, 10:19 AM
And with all tries you did DFU first? You're sure you did the DFU correctly right? (Stupid question, but just to be sure.)

Right now are you able to kick your phone out of DFU and boot into ios 7?

rossihvac
Jun 12, 2013, 10:29 AM
And with all tries you did DFU first? You're sure you did the DFU correctly right? (Stupid question, but just to be sure.)

Right now are you able to kick your phone out of DFU and boot into ios 7?

I followed the Dfu process on a few sites and every time I got to a black screen with iTunes saying an iPhone needed to be restored. Every time I tried to kick the phone out of Dfu I would get the iTunes/USB message on the phones screen.

mbp17xxx
Jun 12, 2013, 10:36 AM
downgraded mine successfully 4s (1.3) and 5 (1.4).

I didn't do the DFU mode, just plug iphone -> alt/option + restore -> select the .ipsw (download from iClarified)

nice to be back to IOS6, as expected the beta was too bugy and drains battery.

mikeyiphone
Jun 12, 2013, 10:44 AM
I didnt have a problem restoring back to iOS 6. The issue I had was the iOS 6 was not reading the back up.

When I had iOS 7 i backed up all my information, then restored back to iOS 6. That forced me to set up the phone as new and when i went to back up the back up was not available.

I had to reinstall 7 to get my phone current again (the back up file appeared for 7 not 6). The iOS 6 i guess was unable to recognize the back up made iOS 7.

Any one have this issue or know a way around it?

madmaxmedia
Jun 12, 2013, 10:46 AM
Ugh, so now you are bricked until you can reload firmware...

But you can still reload ios 7? I guess that's your plan B. To be honest now that I'm back on 6.1.3, I miss the new stuff in 7. The next beta will probably be smooth enough to use.

mikeyiphone
Jun 12, 2013, 10:54 AM
Yes I am able to go back to iOS 7 and download that back up file and my phone is current.
The backup file is not coming up as an option when I went back to iOS 6. I am guessing that iOS 6 cant read it.

When you went back to iOS 6, was it from a backup you created while using iOS 7?

madmaxmedia
Jun 12, 2013, 11:02 AM
LOL my reply was for the other poster but sorta applies to you to. ;)

I don't think you can restore your backup now. Do you sync your PIM info with iCloud, Google, etc.? If it happened to me, I would just copy all my photos to my computer and just set up again. The main issue is taking time to organize apps again.

There are free apps to transfer other stuff from your iPhone, I think messages database, etc. so you can at least copy those things. Not sure if they work with an ios 7 phone though.

rossihvac
Jun 12, 2013, 11:27 AM
I got it, I was finally able to restore but I used a windows machine instead. Now I need to figure out what is wrong with both my macs that is causing that problem

rasputin1969
Jun 12, 2013, 11:36 AM
Mac iPhone 5 user here - I revert back no problem. Are you sure you've selected the right firmware?

Phoboss
Jun 16, 2013, 04:20 PM
Worked for me as well. Downgraded to 6.1.4 on my iPhone 5 to get a replacement from apple care.

sziehr
Jun 16, 2013, 11:22 PM
so every year i wait for this thread to see how the downgrade goes. Apple always puts the you can not go back stamp on it, I just did not want to be the first one to get stuck should things go sideways. I help a few devs test there apps so i go from beta to normal release for day to day use. I just always wait to be sure they have not slipped something new in to actually prevent the downgrade. I know DFU is supposed to be USB ram disk mode but hey new OS whole new baseband you never know what will happen