PDA

View Full Version : Shut down/restart speed?

adnbek
Jun 11, 2013, 11:24 PM
Does Mavericks bring back the near instant shut downs/restarts that we used to see in previous versions of OSX prior to ML?

negativzero
Jun 11, 2013, 11:27 PM
Bootup is faster. Shutdown is also faster but not comparable to Lion or earlier OSes.

People really need to cease with their fascination with instant shutdowns.

justperry
Jun 11, 2013, 11:45 PM

Why?
My old PB G4 on 10.5.8 starts up and shuts down faster than my 2012 Mini on 10.8.4.

Some people need to shutdown many times and it is annoying it takes that long!

jpeezy
Jun 11, 2013, 11:58 PM

Agree but why shutdown at all? Bootcamp I assume.

maxosx
Jun 12, 2013, 12:00 AM

Actually it would be far better if Apple Apologists & Excuse Makers would hold the company to the same standard they apply to Microsoft, Google, et al.

Hyper sensitive if anyone dares to compare them to a cult, it's their very own behavior that conjures up that thought to those who think for themselves.

One of Jobs greatest accomplishments was to replicate what Jerry Garcia did for his brand, creating a massive group of DeadHeads that would pay over & over as they toured the country following "their God".

With a burning desired to be worshiped just like him, Steve spent the early years building his following. Due to Steve's masterful ability to manipulate people, he ended up with the largest, most devoted fan base of all. So powerful & well programmed, that to this day it's easy to spot their posts or comments anywhere Apple products are discussed in the blogosphere.

justperry
Jun 12, 2013, 12:19 AM
Actually it would be far better if Apple Apologists & Excuse Makers would hold the company to the same standard they apply to Microsoft, Google, et al.

Hyper sensitive if anyone dares to compare them to a cult, it's their very own behavior that conjures up that thought to those who think for themselves.

One of Jobs greatest accomplishments was to replicate what Jerry Garcia did for his brand, creating a massive group of DeadHeads that would pay over & over as they toured the country following "their God".

With a burning desired to be worshiped just like him, Steve spent the early years building his following. Due to Steve's masterful ability to manipulate people, he ended up with the largest, most devoted fan base of all. So powerful & well programmed, that to this day it's easy to spot their posts or comments anywhere Apple products are discussed in the blogosphere.

Exactly.

----

Don't get it why people over and over slam people who want the old fast shut downs again.

negativzero
Jun 12, 2013, 12:58 AM

Fast shutdowns are good and all, and I do hope that Apple keeps improving it over time but for whatever reason they do not seem to make this a priority. But ask yourself if it is necessary to have your computer shut down instantly instead of 10 seconds. In the bigger picture, that 10 seconds isn't going to mean anything significant. So unless you can prove there is a tangible benefit to having your machine shut down in 10 seconds, there is nothing to talk about. You just want that 10 seconds because it makes you feel good about having a computer that can shut down fast.

Otherwise, if you are dead set on getting the fast shutdowns back. Just run these commands in terminal. But I'm not going to be responsible for you bricking your OS.
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.diskarbitrationd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication ExitTimeOut -int 1

Krazy Bill
Jun 12, 2013, 12:53 PM
I didn't see this thread otherwise I wouldn't have started another one.

Shut Down time remains unchanged and the bug persists. And to anyone who says "it feels faster" I say good for you but your console logs will prove otherwise.

But there's a reason why Apple wants us to stare at the SWOB (spinning wheel of boredom). There has to be! :)

Up-voting maxosx by "1".

dyn
Jun 12, 2013, 03:05 PM
No it would be better if the people who want "fast shutdowns" start defining "fast" so we don't get the bashing of people wanting "fast shutdowns" and people who are fed up with those people spamming in every possible thread they can get their hands on. The question is asked many times but almost nobody answers it: when are we talking "fast shutdown" and when aren't we? Or in other words: how many seconds should it take for the machine to shutdown? Did anyone actually time the "old shutdown" in say Snow Leopard? How many seconds does SL take? Speak in numbers, makes things a lot easier.

Same can be said for the "fast shutdown" people. The entire discussion is hyper sensitive while it needn't be. That is what is making it terribly annoying. A more constructive discussion would help a lot (like using numbers to define "fast" and "slow").

Krazy Bill
Jun 12, 2013, 03:38 PM
Did anyone actually time the "old shutdown" in say Snow Leopard? How many seconds does SL take? Speak in numbers, makes things a lot easier.

Are you new to OSX? :confused:

A more constructive discussion would help a lot (like using numbers to define "fast" and "slow").

You want that for platter drives or SSD's? Here you go for a SSD:

Fast = 2-5 seconds (i.e., Snow Leopard and Lion "Fast").
Slow = anything more than 5 seconds. (ML and Mav).

dyn
Jun 12, 2013, 04:49 PM
From the Macs I own, I haven't seen a particular issue with shutting down my machines when they were running 10.7 and I'm not seeing it now they are running 10.8. What I do see is the same kind of problems with shutting down every now and then since 10.4. In all those cases it is simply my setup that is causing it, not OS X. The same applies to sleep/wake with the MBA being the exception. I've seen the slowness in waking from sleep with the standbydelay option (I timed it and it's around 15~20 seconds; we're talking about a 2012 MBA with the fast Samsung 256GB ssd).

I've seen some people giving numbers as well and those are much higher than mine when shutting down. No idea if it is OS X, their software or some combination. Some people seem to have located it to some processes still waiting to shutdown. There are some changes since 10.7 in regard to things like termination of applications. It may very well be that there are some apps that are returning something like "I'm not ready for shutdown yet, please wait". I wonder if that is what is happening or not.

Btw, personally I think a shutdown within 10 seconds is fast (ssd or hdd). When I think of slow I'm thinking of 30 seconds or longer. For you it seems to be very differently and that's exactly why I'm asking for actual numbers. Thanks!