PDA

View Full Version : LTE toggle for Control center

apollo1444
Jun 11, 2013, 11:26 PM
I'd trade it anyday for a bluetooth toggle!

we need this!

chrf097
Jun 11, 2013, 11:29 PM
I'd trade it anyday for a bluetooth toggle!

we need this!

Out of curiosity, why?

The purpose of quick settings is to turn on and off common features that are always being turned off an on.

What situation are you put in that requires LTE/Cellular to constantly be turned off and on regularly?

MVallee
Jun 11, 2013, 11:31 PM
I often turn off LTE because it kills my battery. When I go to an LTE area I can literally feel my phone heating up in my pocket and I can watch battery life drop 5% at a time.

apollo1444
Jun 11, 2013, 11:33 PM
Out of curiosity, why?

The purpose of quick settings is to turn on and off common features that are always being turned off an on.

What situation are you put in that requires LTE/Cellular to constantly be turned off and on regularly?

poor coverage? constantly searching for weak LTE signal and then dropping it resulting in poor battery life.

LTE is not mainstream yet unless you have Verizon but there are people in other countries which are still deploying this technology

chances14
Jun 11, 2013, 11:39 PM
poor coverage? constantly searching for weak LTE signal and then dropping it resulting in poor battery life.

LTE is not mainstream yet unless you have Verizon but there are people in other countries which are still deploying this technology

even verizon has issues, at least where i live.

i would much rather have an LTE toggle than a bluetooth toggle. although this could all be solved if apple gave us the option to customize the control center

TrenttonY
Jun 11, 2013, 11:41 PM
I want a "turn off cellular button"

41qser
Jun 11, 2013, 11:44 PM
Hit Airplane mode.

Then hit WiFi on.

Magic.

apollo1444
Jun 12, 2013, 12:35 AM
Hit Airplane mode.

Then hit WiFi on.

Magic.

you can't be this stupid... why would I want to block cellular calls? my phone needs to be on all the time to receive text and calls. I just want to head back to regular 3G/4G, my city has LTE but my house struggles getting signal tilll you walk out, and while it struggles finding LTE it drains your battery life. you really don't understand how this works.

dontpannic
Jun 12, 2013, 02:40 AM
you can't be this stupid... why would I want to block cellular calls? my phone needs to be on all the time to receive text and calls. I just want to head back to regular 3G/4G, my city has LTE but my house struggles getting signal tilll you walk out, and while it struggles finding LTE it drains your battery life. you really don't understand how this works.

How about leaving LTE off until you need it, rather than turning it off every time you have problems? 3G is fine for regular web browsing...

WhackyNinja
Jun 12, 2013, 02:57 AM
Hit Airplane mode.

Then hit WiFi on.

Magic.

http://www.troll.me/images/omg-rage-face/what-sorcery-is-this.jpg

guineapig
Jun 12, 2013, 03:21 AM
I want a "turn off cellular button"

If you tell Siri to turn off 3G, it will turn off cellular data entirely.

apollo1444
Jun 12, 2013, 02:02 PM
How about leaving LTE off until you need it, rather than turning it off every time you have problems? 3G is fine for regular web browsing...

how about an LTE toggle that can allow me to do that instead of taking more steps to do it? almost everybody would prefer LTE over bluetooth

it was the most requested feature that auxo people and the nc settings developer got.

cjmillsnun
Jun 12, 2013, 02:06 PM
I'd rather have bluetooth any day. I'd keep LTE off anyway coverage is way too patchy right now.

Daveoc64
Jun 12, 2013, 02:07 PM
The major problem with this is that Apple allows carriers to disable the toggles for 3G and LTE.

If they were to put either or both in "Control Center", they'd need to handle:

1) What happens if your carrier doesn't offer LTE

2) What happens if your carrier doesn't offer 3G (sounds unlikely, but that's the reality in some countries)

3) What happens if your carrier disables the LTE toggle

4) What happens if your carrier disables the 3G toggle

What happens with all of the combinations of the above? What does the UI look like? Do they show a greyed-out icon? Do they move things around? What about the iPod touch/iPad (without cellular data)?

"Cellular Data" should be an easier toggle to add (and really, it's the only toggle people should be using on a regular basis), as that can't be disabled by carriers.

cynics
Jun 12, 2013, 03:29 PM
The major problem with this is that Apple allows carriers to disable the toggles for 3G and LTE.

2) What happens if your carrier doesn't offer 3G (sounds unlikely, but that's the reality in some countries)

What happens with all of the combinations of the above? What does the UI look like? Do they show a greyed-out icon? Do they move things around? What about the iPod touch/iPad (without cellular data)?

"Cellular Data" should be an easier toggle to add (and really, it's the only toggle people should be using on a regular basis), as that can't be disabled by carriers.

Thats a lot of 'what ifs' there. They'd have to implement it in the way other non iOS LTE smartphones do. :)

However if I had to choose I'd want a Bluetooth toggle.

applesith
Jun 12, 2013, 03:31 PM

You still get calls and text messages with cellular data off. Cellular data is for any communication beyond basic calls and texts. Shouldn't call others stupid when you don't know what you are talking about.

fivedots
Jun 12, 2013, 03:34 PM
You still get calls and text messages with cellular data off. Cellular data is for any communication beyond basic calls and texts. Shouldn't call others stupid when you don't know what you are talking about.

The post he was referencing suggested turning on Airplane mode and Wifi, which only leaves you with wifi and no cellular connection, voice or data.

apollo1444
Jun 12, 2013, 03:43 PM

did you used nc settings? if a carrier didnt offer LTE it had a 3G switch... what seems to be the issue I fail to see it?

if a carrier supports LTE it will say LTE

----------

I responded to a guy that said, "activate airplane mode" can you get texts and calls with that?

you need to read the thread.

gmanist1000
Jun 12, 2013, 03:59 PM
I was hoping to see a personal hotspot toggle :D

Daveoc64
Jun 12, 2013, 04:01 PM
did you used nc settings? if a carrier didnt offer LTE it had a 3G switch... what seems to be the issue I fail to see it?

It's about how many possible configurations Apple has to support.

My carrier does not offer LTE or the 3G switch.

What would be shown on my phone? Nothing? All of the other icons in a bigger size? Unavailable features greyed out?

The current setting selection makes sense on all supported devices. Toggles for 3G or LTE would need to be carrier dependent and as such, they'd need to design the UI so that it could cope with that.

That doesn't sound like something Apple would do to me.

I was hoping to see a personal hotspot toggle :D

That would be a great feature, but it suffers from the same problem as above - it's carrier and account-specific.

ikm19
Jun 12, 2013, 04:09 PM
Give an option to put what ever you want to in those toggles.. I don't care for airplane mode, but it would be great option if i had option to turn LTE on or off.

Also camera application doesn't make sense while device is on lock screen, i can access camera from slide to unlock screen. I wish it had option to change those apps too.

apollo1444
Jun 12, 2013, 04:49 PM
It's about how many possible configurations Apple has to support.

My carrier does not offer LTE or the 3G switch.

What would be shown on my phone? Nothing? All of the other icons in a bigger size? Unavailable features greyed out?

The current setting selection makes sense on all supported devices. Toggles for 3G or LTE would need to be carrier dependent and as such, they'd need to design the UI so that it could cope with that.

why should we get left out of a feature because your bloody carrier doesn't support those toggles? or at least it's carrier file? you are totally wrong, they can give you another option toggle like cellular data.

That doesn't sound like something Apple would do to me.

That would be a great feature, but it suffers from the same problem as above - it's carrier and account-specific.

it can be done theres no excuse, sure your carrier is weird and doesn't even have a 3G toggle, so be it they can leave that out and use a cellular data toggle or a bluetooth one, it's just some handful carriers who have weird configurations, I'm assuming your carrier doesn't have that because it doesn't have a 2G network to fall back, and most GSM carriers around the world do have it.

why don't you check on a GS 4 from your carrier? it probably doesn't have that toggle,but an international version does because it benefits people, so why can't apple do it?

Daveoc64
Jun 12, 2013, 05:29 PM
why should we get left out of a feature because your bloody carrier doesn't support those toggles? or at least it's carrier file? you are totally wrong, they can give you another option toggle like cellular data.

You just don't get my point.

Apple doesn't like complexity.

The lack of toggles for these things is probably simply due to Apple not wanting people to have access to them rather than the reasons I've given, but there WOULD be barriers to putting the toggles in iOS.

From a development standpoint, this would be quite difficult to do right, both in terms of deciding what was shown at any given time and to then sort out the problem of different toggles being shown to different people.

The reality is that a lot of features were left out of iOS (and in many cases, still are) because the software was designed around AT&T's requirements in 2007 - my point being that Apple isn't afraid to sacrifice functionality to fit the lowest common denominator.

Bathplug
Jun 12, 2013, 05:32 PM
Just give us the option to choose & re arrange any toggle and app in control center. The settings menu for control center is looking empty.

dontpannic
Jun 13, 2013, 02:30 AM
how about an LTE toggle that can allow me to do that instead of taking more steps to do it? almost everybody would prefer LTE over bluetooth

it was the most requested feature that auxo people and the nc settings developer got.

Well I'm in the 'almost nobody' who would prefer Bluetooth. I don't even have LTE and given its speed will just eat up data allowances I'd probably have it switched off until I actually needed it anyway, and in those circumstances a quick trip through the settings to turn it on is not a big problem.

iBreatheApple
Jun 13, 2013, 03:23 AM
Noooooo. I've been dying for a bluetooth toggle. Apple I know you read these forums; don't change it! This guy doesn't know what he wants!

Runt888
Jun 13, 2013, 08:09 AM

Apple doesn't like complexity.

The lack of toggles for these things is probably simply due to Apple not wanting people to have access to them rather than the reasons I've given, but there WOULD be barriers to putting the toggles in iOS.

From a development standpoint, this would be quite difficult to do right, both in terms of deciding what was shown at any given time and to then sort out the problem of different toggles being shown to different people.

The reality is that a lot of features were left out of iOS (and in many cases, still are) because the software was designed around AT&T's requirements in 2007 - my point being that Apple isn't afraid to sacrifice functionality to fit the lowest common denominator.

This is exactly the type of thing Apple would do because they don't like complexity for the user. Having options to allow the user to change which buttons are displayed is complex. Having a list of various options and only displaying the top 5 that apply to the phone/carrier is not complex.

dcpmark
Jun 13, 2013, 08:32 AM

What possible reason could Apple have for not wanting me to have quick access to turning on and off my Mobile Hotspot?

jutte64
Jun 13, 2013, 08:41 AM

I use bluetooth way more then I would think about using LTE. Like most AT&T customers, there is not LTE service in my area. Secondly, one vehicle has hands free bluetooth through my radio and the other does not. Also use bluetooth head phones, but when not using either of them I like to keep it off. So the Bluetooth toggle is far more useful.

Now I will agree, if they make the CC customizable it will be a major win for everyone!

hafr
Jun 13, 2013, 08:54 AM
Out of curiosity, why?

If the reception is poor the battery will suffer, but that doesn't mean you'd want to use the phone without LTE.

In using an automatic 3G toggle that turns 3G off when the screen is off, then activates it when the phone is unlocked. It helps my battery life immensely.

If that can't be done automatically, I'd like to be able to switch it on/off easily. Having to go into settings each time I want to use the phone, and then again when I'm done, is a pretty bad solution...

I don't really use the BT toggle anymore because it doesn't affect my battery life as far as I've noticed, and I leave wifi on for GPS-tagging purposes. So to me, a 3G toggle would be preferable.

Personally, I think Apple should allow us to choose which toggles we want to have there since we all have different usage patterns, wants, needs and wishes.

Daveoc64
Jun 13, 2013, 01:24 PM
What possible reason could Apple have for not wanting me to have quick access to turning on and off my Mobile Hotspot?

It clutters the UI! Why do you think it's taken 6 years for these things to be added!?

Why doesn't Apple want you to do any of the things it expressly forbids?

----------

This is exactly the type of thing Apple would do because they don't like complexity for the user. Having options to allow the user to change which buttons are displayed is complex. Having a list of various options and only displaying the top 5 that apply to the phone/carrier is not complex.

Something which varies from device to device is inherently complex for the user.

If it doesn't behave the same way on every iOS device, it's going to be confusing for users and make it harder for support.

As things stand, the "configurable" toggles are buried in a pretty boring menu, so it's not a big deal for Apple to change that on the fly.

msuman
Jun 13, 2013, 01:33 PM
I completely agree. When I am at home or school I am on wifi, but as soon as I'm on the road, shopping, etc., I want my LTE and cell data on. The toggle in CC would save about four touches and and in my opinion, is more useful than toggling BT or airplane mode.

profets
Jun 13, 2013, 01:36 PM

I think a lot of us would love a toggle for personal hotspot.

My guess as to why it's not there is that not everyone may have personal hotspot as an option that's enabled.

The 5 toggles that are listed are definitely useable by every iPhone.

dcpmark
Jun 13, 2013, 02:46 PM
It clutters the UI! Why do you think it's taken 6 years for these things to be added!?

Why doesn't Apple want you to do any of the things it expressly forbids?

----------

Something which varies from device to device is inherently complex for the user.

If it doesn't behave the same way on every iOS device, it's going to be confusing for users and make it harder for support.

As things stand, the "configurable" toggles are buried in a pretty boring menu, so it's not a big deal for Apple to change that on the fly.

Apple claims the UI changes are here because people have become familiar enough with smartphone UIs to stop holding their hands. Even if they want to limit the number we have access to for design and complexity reasons, why not allow us to choose the 5 that are important to us in a simple Control Center settings menu?? There is ZERO logic to complexity or support rationales for failing to allow us to choose. And as I use my mobile hotspot on and off for 8+ hours every workday, failing to allow me quick access means I'll have to stick with my JB iPhone 5. I don't want that....I WANT to switch to iOS 7.

----------

I think a lot of us would love a toggle for personal hotspot.

My guess as to why it's not there is that not everyone may have personal hotspot as an option that's enabled.

The 5 toggles that are listed are definitely useable by every iPhone.

Useable, but not used by every iPhone owner. I've never once turned off Bluetooth, used Do Not Disturb, or used the orientation lock on my iPhone 5. That's 3 WASTED toggles in my book. I don't use Airplane mode on my iPad and I use the hardware lock, so why the heck do I need any of those either?

APPLE........LET US CHOOSE!!!!!!

jutte64
Jun 13, 2013, 02:49 PM
I completely agree. When I am at home or school I am on wifi, but as soon as I'm on the road, shopping, etc., I want my LTE and cell data on. The toggle in CC would save about four touches and and in my opinion, is more useful than toggling BT or airplane mode.

Why not just turn on airplane mode, then turn on the wifi? That is what I do while I am at work all day. I have terrible reception to none in my building I work in. Saves the battery because its not looking for a cell signal the whole time, and most my friends have an iPhone so I can still receive some text and email and use most the rest of the phone. Then when I leave the building its one touch to turn airplane mode off. With the CC it makes it so easy to do all this with out even unlocking the phone now.

msuman
Jun 13, 2013, 02:52 PM
Why not just turn on airplane mode, then turn on the wifi? That is what I do while I am at work all day. I have terrible reception to none in my building I work in. Saves the battery because its not looking for a cell signal the whole time, and most my friends have an iPhone so I can still receive some text and email and use most the rest of the phone. Then when I leave the building its one touch to turn airplane mode off. With the CC it makes it so easy to do all this with out even unlocking the phone now.

I need cell so i can still make texts throughout the day.

jutte64
Jun 13, 2013, 03:02 PM
I need cell so i can still make texts throughout the day.

OK so the what does it hurt to just leave the cell data on? The iPhone is designed to use available WiFi over cell data.

msuman
Jun 13, 2013, 03:08 PM
OK so the what does it hurt to just leave the cell data on? The iPhone is designed to use available WiFi over cell data.

Having it on significantly drains the battery.

darngooddesign
Jun 13, 2013, 03:13 PM

It's less complex that the settings for Notification Center.

You have a list of toggles you can choose from and you can rearrange them. If your carrier doesn't offer something its hidden from your list of available toggles.

Simple no?

jutte64
Jun 13, 2013, 03:13 PM
Having it on significantly drains the battery.

Is that just due to the LTE portion or not? I don't have LTE where I live, but have heard it can be a major killer if you don't have great reception.. I know I always just leave my data on, or put it in airplane mode if I know I won't have reception.

msuman
Jun 13, 2013, 03:15 PM
Is that just due to the LTE portion or not? I don't have LTE where I live, but have heard it can be a major killer if you don't have great reception.. I know I always just leave my data on, or put it in airplane mode if I know I won't have reception.

I usually have 3 bars at my house (LTE off) and when I'm around the city it's usually 4-5 bars. Having LTE on then is still a big battery drainer.

apollo1444
Jun 13, 2013, 03:35 PM
Noooooo. I've been dying for a bluetooth toggle. Apple I know you read these forums; don't change it! This guy doesn't know what he wants!

why can't we have both?

PsstGreek
Jun 13, 2013, 03:45 PM
It would be nice to switch the toggles around to the ones you want, like the SBSettings tweak from Cydia.

Jare
Jun 13, 2013, 03:46 PM
I'm sure we'll see a data toggle eventually too. Maybe not in time for iOS 7, but 7.1 etc.

mytakeontech
Jun 13, 2013, 04:03 PM
So guys control center has only pre-defined toggles and we cannon add anything other than what is already offered?

That is not good but...at least a good start!

digitalfx
Jun 13, 2013, 04:16 PM

Everybody? I prefer bluetooth over LTE. Ive never turned off LTE and my battery is just fine.

msaftw
Jun 13, 2013, 05:32 PM
personally I'd like a switch for LTE in place of Airplane Mode. I know there's other uses but how many times can you go on an airplane in a day? I'd like to keep my bluetooth toggle so when I leave my car i can easily switch it off for battery, LTE switch to save precious battery.

Shockwave78
Jun 13, 2013, 07:00 PM
Anyone who works In a large building would appreciate a Lte toggle. I am lucky to get 100db signal where I work and we are completely blanketed in LTE here I the northeast.

Switching to the 3G In a 500,000sqft building will increase battery life by about 15-20%

apollo1444
Jun 13, 2013, 11:24 PM
Everybody? I prefer bluetooth over LTE. Ive never turned off LTE and my battery is just fine.

let me tell you 98% of the planet doesn't have LTE well stablished like Verizon.

campingsk8er
Jun 14, 2013, 02:06 AM

Wrong. I prefer having the bluetooth toggle over an LTE toggle. We just got control centre and you already want it changed. Apple just gave it to us, we can't expect to much from them all at once you know.

dialed1
Jun 14, 2013, 02:22 AM
I want a toggle for Location Services am I alone on this?