PDA

View Full Version : No more Cover Flow history on Safari

DavidMarks
Jun 11, 2013, 11:33 PM
...in fact, there's no practical way to search the browsing history. :confused:

swingerofbirch
Jun 11, 2013, 11:46 PM
When I saw the thread title, I thought maybe it was a good thing as searching my history on a 2.9 GHZ i7 with 8 GB MBP brings it to its knees (though, not as bad as searching Messages)! I always thought the coverflow trying to load so many images was the problem.

What do you mean when you say there is no practical way to search now? That there is no search or that you can't preview like you could before?

DavidMarks
Jun 12, 2013, 12:00 AM
When I saw the thread title, I thought maybe it was a good thing as searching my history on a 2.9 GHZ i7 with 8 GB MBP brings it to its knees (though, not as bad as searching Messages)! I always thought the coverflow trying to load so many images was the problem.

What do you mean when you say there is no practical way to search now? That there is no search or that you can't preview like you could before?

You can search from the address bar but it's very limited. Clicking History > Show History brings up a list of website titles and addresses which looks like 1995. Preview is nonexistent. Gone. Kaput.

Cougarcat
Jun 12, 2013, 12:14 AM
No...I used this a lot. Probably the only useful instance of Cover Flow. Hope they add something equivalent and it's just not there yet.

Jessica Lares
Jun 12, 2013, 01:02 AM
I just noticed this! :eek: Damn! I hated Cover Flow in general too, but also really, really liked looking through my history in this way. It helped me spot what I was looking for much quicker.

Michaelgtrusa
Jun 12, 2013, 02:14 AM
Perhaps to gain speed and reduce mem use.

zen
Jun 12, 2013, 02:20 AM
I think - hope - they'll add history to the new sidebar thing, alongside bookmarks, reading list, and shared links. There's room for a history tab, and it would make browsing through Safari's history very easy.

Certainly a missing feature.

kristoffer4
Jun 12, 2013, 06:25 AM
So no way to see even recent history?! :eek:

zen
Jun 12, 2013, 07:00 AM
So no way to see even recent history?! :eek:

No, you can see history, but it just displays a big list in the browser window. I was saying that it should be added to the new sidebar as well.

j-a-x
Jun 12, 2013, 09:22 PM
No...I used this a lot. Probably the only useful instance of Cover Flow. Hope they add something equivalent and it's just not there yet.

+1, I agree that this is the only useful instance of Cover Flow, at least the only one I ever used.

nbnbxdnb
Oct 5, 2013, 07:03 PM
I just need learn how to press command+alt+2 to activate "show history" now in order to make up the absence of cover flow search history in old version.

djtech42
Oct 6, 2013, 01:25 AM
The new show history window looks so archaic and out of place in the browser.

d0nK
Oct 22, 2013, 08:32 PM
I miss the Mountain Lion Cover Flow History too.

I also wish we could change the dull grey background of Top Sites to black.
I hate grey.
b o r i n g grey.

penter
Oct 23, 2013, 04:02 PM
what?!?!?!?:mad:
that's very uncool of them...
how is the removal of a feature an "improvement" ?

coldjeanzzz
Oct 23, 2013, 04:04 PM
Coverflow was completely useless and just took up memory, did anyone even use it?

All you really needed was just a page with all your history and a way to search for it, and that's what we have now.

penter
Oct 23, 2013, 04:09 PM
Coverflow was completely useless and just took up memory, did anyone even use it?

All you really needed was just a page with all your history and a way to search for it, and that's what we have now.

I used the coverflow feature extensively.
Sometimes I just needed that visual jolt to the memory to recall which site I saw that one little thing, days ago. Or what about when you're looking for a specific image you saw, in a site whose name you can't remember?
As a designer, and visual thinker, overflow was extremely useful for me. I hope they bring it back, or that someone can create an extension to bring it back...
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Bernard2
Nov 2, 2013, 04:36 PM
Me and My wife are using extensively the web to look at images. Cover flow is a must !!!

haravikk
Nov 2, 2013, 04:43 PM
I just noticed this! :eek: Damn! I hated Cover Flow in general too, but also really, really liked looking through my history in this way. It helped me spot what I was looking for much quicker.
Why didn't you like Coverflow? I loved it; okay so it wasn't perfect, and performance left a lot to be desired, but as a means of quickly flipping through pages of stuff visually it was pretty nice.

I was shocked when it was removed from iTunes as it was my favourite way of picking a something to play when I just didn't know what I was in the mood for.

My main gripe was that in iTunes it didn't really need to have that list underneath too, just needed a quick-search and the ability to open albums once you find one. Could have been an awesome, touch-centric (but still fun with a mouse) feature if Apple had developed it instead of scrapping it.

Now the only place it's left is the Finder but I'm not sure I expect it to stay there either, but it's a great way again for flicking though folders of images. Unless Apple wants to give us something different, or an easier way for setting image folders with nice big icon previews without screwing up all of our Finder windows, but that's never been one of the Finder's strong points ;)

Jessica Lares
Nov 2, 2013, 07:16 PM
Why didn't you like Coverflow? I loved it; okay so it wasn't perfect, and performance left a lot to be desired, but as a means of quickly flipping through pages of stuff visually it was pretty nice.

I was shocked when it was removed from iTunes as it was my favourite way of picking a something to play when I just didn't know what I was in the mood for.

My main gripe was that in iTunes it didn't really need to have that list underneath too, just needed a quick-search and the ability to open albums once you find one. Could have been an awesome, touch-centric (but still fun with a mouse) feature if Apple had developed it instead of scrapping it.

Now the only place it's left is the Finder but I'm not sure I expect it to stay there either, but it's a great way again for flicking though folders of images. Unless Apple wants to give us something different, or an easier way for setting image folders with nice big icon previews without screwing up all of our Finder windows, but that's never been one of the Finder's strong points ;)

Probably because I had the 3rd generation iPod and the iPod Video right before it was introduced. So I enjoyed the list search, and it worked fine since my library was only 1,000 songs at the time.

drew627
Nov 2, 2013, 07:39 PM
You can most definitely still search using the status bar in the History window..

haravikk
Nov 3, 2013, 06:31 AM
You can most definitely still search using the status bar in the History window..
The problem with that though is that you need to know some terms for what you're looking for; if you read an article of a product, but forget what the product was called then suddenly the search is harder. Flicking through meant you could recognise something from the article without needing to know specific search terms.

It's a pretty big step back actually; not saying that search from the address bar isn't great, but it isn't always enough.

betasoftware
Nov 13, 2013, 05:01 PM
The problem with that though is that you need to know some terms for what you're looking for; if you read an article of a product, but forget what the product was called then suddenly the search is harder. Flicking through meant you could recognise something from the article without needing to know specific search terms.

It's a pretty big step back actually; not saying that search from the address bar isn't great, but it isn't always enough.

I thought Cover Flow in the Safari history was brilliant. I cannot believe Apple engineers removed it. With that said, I found a simple solution that gets you most of the way there. Mac OS X maintains the history for web sites in a small file on the drive. Simply using Spotlight to search for "kind:webpages <search term(s) you're looking for>" will find any web pages with that term on the drive. Then hit "Show All in Finder" and use Quick Look to preview the pages. It doesn't preload pages other than the current Quick Look page like Safari 6 and earlier did, but it will at least give you a visual representation of the page(s) you are looking for. Scrolling with the arrow keys on the keyboard allows you to go from one to the next.

uberfu
Dec 5, 2013, 12:23 PM
Perhaps to gain speed and reduce mem use.
If that was the case - then why is Top Sites still available ?

----------

I am very visual. It is faster for me to see a screenshot of a Website that I am looking for in the old-style Cover Flow for History and Bookmarks than it is for me to sift through a ton of similar text.

Now - it's gone and the process is much slower.

I also am in the camp of hating Cover Flow elsewhere in the system (Finder and iTunes) as impractical - but found it rather useful in Safari.