PDA

View Full Version : Do you need to 'fully close' apps now?

jabingla2810
Jun 12, 2013, 12:19 AM
It struck me as odd during the keynote that Apple mentioned you can close apps by swiping up, and they only had about 5 apps on the recent apps view.

It's a cool gesture, but is it now necessary?

Obviously in ios6 you never had to close apps, which was great from a user perspective.

Maybe the new multitasking system needs a bit if end user management, which would be a shame.

Anyhow, anybody played with it enough to see?

Cheers

michaelfields
Jun 12, 2013, 12:24 AM
Obviously in ios6 you never had to close apps, which was great from a user perspective.

....what?

rmeadejr
Jun 12, 2013, 12:26 AM
It struck me as odd during the keynote that Apple mentioned you can close apps by swiping up, and they only had about 5 apps on the recent apps view.

It's a cool gesture, but is it now necessary?

Maybe the new multitasking system needs a bit if end user management, which would be a shame.

Anyhow, anybody played with it enough to see?

Cheers

you had to close apps in ios 6.

cualexander
Jun 12, 2013, 12:36 AM
Nope, I never close apps in iOS 6 on my iPhone 5 and my battery lasts all day

GGJstudios
Jun 12, 2013, 12:36 AM

No, it's not necessary to close apps. They become inactive in the background, with the exception of the multitasking features.

jabingla2810
Jun 12, 2013, 12:48 AM

No you didn't.

----------

....what?

Ios6 managed itself. I just wanted to know if ios7 does the same.

lewismayell
Jun 12, 2013, 12:49 AM
I always used to close my apps on iOS 6 and I still do on 7 it's alot easier

iamthekiller
Jun 12, 2013, 01:38 AM
I can't believe people still think that they have to force close apps on iOS.

saving107
Jun 12, 2013, 01:41 AM
No you didn't.

----------

Ios6 managed itself. I just wanted to know if ios7 does the same.

1. Yes you did.

2. No it didn't.

No, it's not necessary to close apps. They become inactive in the background, with the exception of the multitasking features.

This^

Nope, I never close apps in iOS 6 on my iPhone 5 and my battery lasts all day

This is a beta, battery performance is usually the last thing to get optimized.

Troneas
Jun 12, 2013, 01:48 AM
I can't believe people still think that they have to force close apps on iOS.

If you use an older equipment such as an IP 4 or IPT 4G and earlier it really helps to do this now and then.

It does free up memory regardless of what they tell you about iOS memory management of inactive apps. Ive monitored this on a JB device and experienced the performance difference first hand. Its not a coincidence that a popular JB tweak is to shut down all apps in one go.

Of course, newer equipment dont suffer as much to make this an issue.

jabingla2810
Jun 12, 2013, 01:50 AM
1. Yes you did.

2. No it didn't.

This^

You disagree with me, but agree with somebody else with the same opinion?

In IOS6 you only had to 'fully close' an app if it crashed, but the rest of the time it looked after itself.

Anyway, was hoping somebody would know an answer, but it looks like i've just created confusion.

LoganT
Jun 12, 2013, 01:55 AM
You may've never had to close applications yourself, but I always would. It was more about closing apps to retrieve memory.

jabingla2810
Jun 12, 2013, 01:59 AM
You may've never had to close applications yourself, but I always would. It was more about closing apps to retrieve memory.

You may have closed those apps to retrieve more memory, but you never had to.

LoganT
Jun 12, 2013, 02:03 AM
You may have closed those apps to retrieve more memory, but you never had to.

It always helped.

jabingla2810
Jun 12, 2013, 12:32 PM
Do any developers or people who understand ios know if you now need to close apps?

GGJstudios
Jun 12, 2013, 12:34 PM
Do any developers or people who understand ios know if you now need to close apps?

No, you do not need to close apps. You can if you wish, which is what was illustrated in the WWDC demo, but it's not necessary.

mikeo007
Jun 12, 2013, 12:41 PM

No, nothing has changed on that front. In fact, judging by the new multitasking APIs, it looks like apps will be able to begin background processes even if they're not in the "running" (or more correctly "recent") apps list.

jabingla2810
Jun 12, 2013, 12:46 PM
No, nothing has changed on that front. In fact, judging by the new multitasking APIs, it looks like apps will be able to begin background processes even if they're not in the "running" (or more correctly "recent") apps list.

Cool, that's good news. Thanks

DDustiNN
Jun 12, 2013, 01:41 PM
1. Yes you did.

2. No it didn't.

This^

Do you realize your second response has directly contradicted your first response..?

----------

There is a new setting called "Background App Refresh", which will allow background apps to keep up-to-date (such as Stocks, Weather, etc). You can allow individual apps, or disable that feature completely. When disabled, you will achieve the iOS 6 method which you are asking about.

seble
Jun 12, 2013, 02:30 PM
If you use an older equipment such as an IP 4 or IPT 4G and earlier it really helps to do this now and then.

It does free up memory regardless of what they tell you about iOS memory management of inactive apps. Ive monitored this on a JB device and experienced the performance difference first hand. Its not a coincidence that a popular JB tweak is to shut down all apps in one go.

Of course, newer equipment dont suffer as much to make this an issue.

You're correct stuff what others are saying. I have an old memory app on my iPhone 4, with most of my apps open my free ram is about 16mb closing all my apps mulitiplies it by 10 to about 160 mb of ram free...

grockk
Jun 12, 2013, 03:40 PM
On iOS like in OS X Background apps are inactive and their ram usage is inactive too. OS X asks apps nicely for ram. In iOS When ram is needed the app is forced closed and ram is ready for use.

This happens automatically.

cynics
Jun 12, 2013, 04:03 PM
You're correct stuff what others are saying. I have an old memory app on my iPhone 4, with most of my apps open my free ram is about 16mb closing all my apps mulitiplies it by 10 to about 160 mb of ram free...

iOS will do that for you though. If you open an app that needs 50 mb of ram and you only have 10 iOS will close an app (still be in the tray). This is why apps will reload sometime when you open them. For example on my 4S if I were to watch a bunch of videos in YouTube then reopen tapatalk, it will likely reload fresh.

Ram uses power regardless if its retaining an app or nothing. The act of removing something from ram will use more power then letting it me.

However there can be a slight lag when opening an app if iOS needs to kill another.

charlituna
Jun 12, 2013, 10:14 PM

If the apps were written properly, no you didn't. Pity so many of them weren't and would not release their memory, etc properly.

I can only assume the same in iOS 7, which might include some tricks to adjust for such screwy code

PhoneI
Jun 12, 2013, 10:18 PM
If the apps were written properly, no you didn't. Pity so many of them weren't and would not release their memory, etc properly.

Examples please?

Bawstun
Jun 12, 2013, 10:27 PM
With the new "updated in the background" feature, I suppose if developers incorporate it into their apps - you might want to switch off SOME that you don't use.

In that setting menu you can turn on or off all the apps that you want to refresh in the background to be up to date when you click them. So, if you only want Facebook, or Instagram, or whatever, you can choose.

It *does* also state in the menu that having this option on "may decrease battery life" the same message from iOS 6 about push notifications.

GGJstudios
Jun 13, 2013, 09:51 AM

As is true for every OS, including OS X, iOS manages the memory, not the apps. iOS determines what memory is released or used.