PDA

View Full Version : Some gripes with Mavericks

sznaps
Jun 11, 2013, 05:36 AM
So far with my 12 hours of time on osx 10.9 I have come across numerous features that aren't as advertised during the keynote yesterday.

-Cannot get maps app to send to Iphone (Iphone is running IOS 7)
-Dock does not move to other monitors automatically
-Notifications from Iphone do not show on Mac

Were these features not included in this developers release?

Dalton63841
Jun 11, 2013, 05:45 AM
So far with my 12 hours of time on osx 10.9 I have come across numerous features that aren't as advertised during the keynote yesterday.

Have you opened the Maps app on your iPhone and made sure it can use locations services? I had to do that before "send to iPhone" would work, but it does work.

I don't have dual monitors so I can't test that one, although I am trying to figure out how to use AppleTV to Airplay as a second monitor.

I didn't know this was supposed to be a thing, but it isn't working for me either if its a thing.

sznaps
Jun 11, 2013, 06:08 AM
Yea, location services is working on my iphone and within the maps app. I'm going to give it some time and i'll mess with it a little. I'll post my findings here.

wrich73
Jun 11, 2013, 08:28 AM
I don't have dual monitors so I can't test that one, although I am trying to figure out how to use AppleTV to Airplay as a second monitor.

Click the Airplay icon on your mac, choose Apple TV. Once that is done you get an option on the icon drop down to extend desktop. Seems to work a lot like AMD Radeon multidisplay.

Powertoola
Jun 11, 2013, 08:33 AM
no iBooks either, and I can't get the send to iPhone option either, nor notifications from iPhone

Dalton63841
Jun 11, 2013, 08:36 AM
Click the Airplay icon on your mac, choose Apple TV. Once that is done you get an option on the icon drop down to extend desktop. Seems to work a lot like AMD Radeon multidisplay.

I have a 2009 MBP. As far as I know I can only Airplay music to the AppleTV. I guess that didn't change with Mavericks...

The only Airplay icon I know of is in iTunes and if you Option-Click the Sound icon in the menubar.

Powertoola
Jun 11, 2013, 08:41 AM
I have a 2009 MBP. As far as I know I can only Airplay music to the AppleTV. I guess that didn't change with Mavericks...

The only Airplay icon I know of is in iTunes and if you Option-Click the Sound icon in the menubar.

if an Airplay display is available then, if under settings >> displays, >> "Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available" is ticked , then it will show an airplay icon in the menu bar at the top.

Dalton63841
Jun 11, 2013, 08:55 AM
if an Airplay display is available then, if under settings >> displays, >> "Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available" is ticked , then it will show an airplay icon in the menu bar at the top.

Well then that settles it. At least for the moment, mid-2009 13" MBP does not have Airplay display feature in Mavericks.

travisbrowning
Jun 11, 2013, 02:32 PM

You have to bring your cursor to the bottom of the screen you want it on, then try and bring your cursor down further and it activates the dock.

richard6r
Jun 12, 2013, 01:05 AM
Hey guys, new to the forum and just finished installing my clean install of mavericks. Liking it so far. Unfortunately I learned some tidbits I don't like...

The new tabs feature completely removed (from what I can tell) color coded folders. Now it just replaces the colors with the tag dot next to the name. Not what I wanted...

Facetiming with someone used to be good until now. I can't listen to youtube videos or watch or edit anything in iMovie without it ducking the sound. There isn't a setting in the FaceTime app to disable the ducking and none in the system preferences sound icon. :(

The "new" safari removed the cover flow history feature. I quite liked it and used it a lot too! I hope apple really considers adding these small features back in. Though it's genuinely a matter of preference since I've been accustomed to mountain lion. Anyone else have gripes with the new system ? :)

Also does ANYONE have this glitch/bug?

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/7379/screenshot20130612at216.png

maflynn
Jun 12, 2013, 04:55 AM
I can see cover flow going because Apple has removed it from other products. Not to make excuses for apple but since this is a beta its not surprising some things don't work out too well.

Submit a but report to apple, the apple developer site has link or means to do that (I'm not sure tbh) to let apple know something isn't working right.

j-a-x
Jun 12, 2013, 09:26 PM
Hey guys, new to the forum and just finished
Facetiming with someone used to be good until now. I can't listen to youtube videos or watch or edit anything in iMovie without it ducking the sound. There isn't a setting in the FaceTime app to disable the ducking and none in the system preferences sound icon. :(

What do you mean by "ducking"?

Lunfai
Jun 12, 2013, 09:33 PM
What do you mean by "ducking"?

FaceTime has priorty over sound so everything else is quieter.

MartiNZ
Jun 12, 2013, 10:07 PM
I can see cover flow going because Apple has removed it from other products. Not to make excuses for apple but since this is a beta its not surprising some things don't work out too well.

Submit a but report to apple, the apple developer site has link or means to do that (I'm not sure tbh) to let apple know something isn't working right.

And yet a cover flow like is coming back to iOS 7 in the multitasking view.

chabig
Jun 12, 2013, 10:13 PM
I can't listen to youtube videos or watch or edit anything in iMovie without it ducking the sound.

It seems very unusual to me that you'd want to carry on a FaceTime conversation while listening to Youtube or editing video.

w0lf
Jun 12, 2013, 11:07 PM
The new tabs feature completely removed (from what I can tell) color coded folders. Now it just replaces the colors with the tag dot next to the name. Not what I wanted...

Yeah this is interesting, I wonder if there will be a way to hack that back in.

OSX really just needs a volume mixer like Windows. I'm actually rather shocked that such a thing doesn't exist already, certainly one aspect that Windows clearly has OSX beat in.

The "new" safari removed the cover flow history feature. I quite liked it and used it a lot too! I hope apple really considers adding these small features back in.

Yeah I think Apple is phasing out 'Cover Flow'. I wouldn't even be surprised if it leaves Finder before Mavericks goes out of beta.

Image (http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/7379/screenshot20130612at216.png)

Yeah I have that bug too. Something about having 0 of a type of content just doesn't cooperate with the storage tab. I remember in Lion and ML it would show some other stupid impossible number like 1 Exabyte or something.

Anyone else have gripes with the new system ? :)

Not really having any serious gripes so far aside from things which are obviously bugs.

Here some of my nitpicks though:

Shutdown is worse than Mountain Lion (30+ second shut down on SSD)
Notes looks god awful
Notes font does not match web font so any note using tabs or spacing looks messed up on the web/other devices
Game Center looks awful
Reminders looks awful
Text edit still doesn't have an iCloud folder on the web or iOS
Chess is still a thing
iCloud still doesn't have some sort of Dropbox like feature
Finder still doesn't let you sort with folders on top
Finder doesn't have an option to show or hide hidden files (although it's pretty easy to make a service to toggle that)
Lots of Apple apps still can't go full screen (I would expect them all to have this option by now)

Activity monitor
Reminders
Text Edit
Contacts
Image Capture
Dictionary
Probably some others

richard6r
Jun 14, 2013, 03:18 AM
It seems very unusual to me that you'd want to carry on a FaceTime conversation while listening to Youtube or editing video.

It's what I usually do with my significant other.. or we'll share youtube videos between the conversation, etc etc. Don't think it particularly matters how I spend my FaceTime but the ducking is just plain annoying.

Does anyone else have some serious sleep/wake issues? When waking it's really unresponsive for about 10 seconds and after the screen finally comes up the keyboard and system is frozen for another 5. 2012 mba..

53kyle
Jun 14, 2013, 03:25 AM

I have that glitch/bug

EDIT: My ML Partiton is fine even shown in mavericks, see second picture

richard6r
Jun 14, 2013, 03:45 AM
I ran a fix permissions on the hard drive and it came up with some errors, I don't know if thats what fixed it. I also re-installed the system twice but it properly displays the right storage now.

benwiggy
Jun 14, 2013, 08:14 AM
I ran a fix permissions on the hard drive and it came up with some errors, I don't know if thats what fixed it. I also re-installed the system twice but it properly displays the right storage now.
Repair Permissions always comes up with error messages, and its ability to fix things is massively over-stated.

The Bug in the Storage info most likely relates to Spotlight. A re-index would probably fix it -- which was a byproduct of reinstalling. Twice. :p

richard6r
Jun 14, 2013, 05:40 PM
Repair Permissions always comes up with error messages, and its ability to fix things is massively over-stated.

The Bug in the Storage info most likely relates to Spotlight. A re-index would probably fix it -- which was a byproduct of reinstalling. Twice. :p

Great. Good to know :o

Distearth
Jun 14, 2013, 06:59 PM
I have maps on ios7 working with loc data but still not showing "send to iPhone" from maps app. Any updates on this? 2012 Air.

ikm19
Jun 14, 2013, 07:02 PM
Just logout from iCloud in system preference and log in back to get send to iPhone working in Maps

maxosx
Jun 14, 2013, 07:04 PM
There's a lot of people in this thread that act like it's the finished version.

It's not done.... that's what BETA means :eek:

Sky Blue
Jun 14, 2013, 07:31 PM
I have maps on ios7 working with loc data but still not showing "send to iPhone" from maps app. Any updates on this? 2012 Air.

Yes. Read the Release Notes.

arkmannj
Sep 2, 2013, 12:14 AM

NOT a fan of this Chang... At all

wankey
Sep 2, 2013, 07:16 PM

Uh.. that's not cover flow at all.

M5RahuL
Sep 3, 2013, 02:14 AM
I was really hoping to be able to install widgets on the desktop, instead of using the dashboard. Even submitted a feature request to Apple, in vain...

Krazy Bill
Sep 3, 2013, 08:07 AM
I was really hoping to be able to install widgets on the desktop, instead of using the dashboard. Even submitted a feature request to Apple, in vain...That would be too much of a MS knock-off feature. You'll never see it.

maflynn
Sep 3, 2013, 08:17 AM
I was really hoping to be able to install widgets on the desktop, instead of using the dashboard. Even submitted a feature request to Apple, in vain...

I think the widget market is on life support imo. Maybe I'm so insular, but I don't see this feature in dashboard being used much (other then istat pro and the weather widget) that there doesn't seem much of a market to bring them to the OSX desktop outright.

I think Apple mistepped in this when they originally offered widgets - they should have had them on the desktop but alas, that's ancient history

Bear
Sep 3, 2013, 08:34 AM
I think the widget market is on life support imo. Maybe I'm so insular, but I don't see this feature in dashboard being used much (other then istat pro and the weather widget) that there doesn't seem much of a market to bring them to the OSX desktop outright.

I think Apple mistepped in this when they originally offered widgets - they should have had them on the desktop but alas, that's ancient historyI do agree that Dashboard/Widgets seem to be dying out. And some widgets that break for various reasons (like the website they use gets changed) are not getting fixed anymore.

Another good widget is Delivery Status (http://junecloud.com/software/mac/delivery-status.html) for tracking packages that you're expecting. There's also an iOS version now on the app store (which I haven't tried). Maybe it's time for a new roundup of useful widgets in the appropriate forum?

kaioshade
Sep 3, 2013, 10:26 AM
The biggest problem i have with Mavericks so far is Lync 2011 is completely broken and refuses to connect, whereas Mountain Lion it was perfectly fine.

cmChimera
Sep 3, 2013, 02:28 PM

Have you tried this: http://db.lcs.mit.edu/madden/WidgetRunner/

printz
Sep 3, 2013, 03:13 PM
I use widgets all the time. You just don't understand them. They're by-hotkey mini-apps. Faster than complete desktop apps. If you don't like the lame ones that get preinstalled, look for others!

Putting them on desktop is stupid because it requires moving all current windows away, and they clash with the icons.

Why the hell do all Internet tutorials talk about sending dashboard widgets to desktop, and not the reverse -- sending desktop windows to the dashboard? That would totally solve the problem of stagnant dashboard widgets.

Krazy Bill
Sep 3, 2013, 03:35 PM
Why the hell do all Internet tutorials talk about sending dashboard widgets to desktop,I don't understand myself.

Since Lion, in essence, you can now dedicate a whole freaking desktop to nothing but widgets. Completely free of other desktop clutter :D Personally, I just keep it in my dock with a few simple things that have no business being a separate app.

M5RahuL
Sep 3, 2013, 06:24 PM
Have you tried this: http://db.lcs.mit.edu/madden/WidgetRunner/

Tried it on my MBA running 10.9 DP6 and it's working great for the 'Weather' widget.

Will try on the rMBP when I get home later.

Thank you so much for posting this!!!!! :D

printz
Sep 4, 2013, 02:12 PM
I don't understand myself.

Since Lion, in essence, you can now dedicate a whole freaking desktop to nothing but widgets. Completely free of other desktop clutter :D Personally, I just keep it in my dock with a few simple things that have no business being a separate app.
Erhm, I use the classic Leopard overlay view. I just hope it doesn't die, because it's really one of the features seldom or never seen in Windows PCs.

bedifferent
Sep 4, 2013, 10:14 PM
Another good widget is Delivery Status (http://junecloud.com/software/mac/delivery-status.html) for tracking packages that you're expecting. There's also an iOS version now on the app store (which I haven't tried). Maybe it's time for a new roundup of useful widgets in the appropriate forum?

I've been using Delivery Status for OS X and iOS for what seems like years. One of the best app's I've purchased. Dashboard widget auto-detects copied tracking numbers in OS X to facilitate entries, syncs to all my Mac's and devices via Junecloud, up-to-date tracking supports Google Maps, etc. Delivery Status is about the only third party widget I use on a regular basis.

Sky Blue
Sep 5, 2013, 01:59 PM
Mail doesn't have quick reply from a notification center enabled yet, correct?

Krazy Bill
Sep 5, 2013, 02:03 PM
Mail doesn't have quick reply from a notification center enabled yet, correct?No, it does not. But if you catch one coming in via an "alert" you can. (If you grab it fast enough. :eek:)

SlCKB0Y
Sep 15, 2013, 06:38 AM

Except that wasn't inspired by coverflow - it's an almost identical copy of Android multitasking.

Lolito
Sep 15, 2013, 04:20 PM
widgets on the desktop would be quite nice indeed

MartiNZ
Sep 16, 2013, 01:13 AM
Except that wasn't inspired by coverflow - it's an almost identical copy of Android multitasking.

Oh right, not familiar with that OS :). That does make it more sensible that it is coming to iOS.

SlCKB0Y
Sep 16, 2013, 06:49 AM
Oh right, not familiar with that OS :). That does make it more sensible that it is coming to iOS.

:p

Except there is a very important difference, on iOS it is horizontal and on Android it it vertical!

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/17/2011/02/android-multitasking.jpg

r0k
Sep 16, 2013, 07:20 AM

It looks to me like it's more directly inspired by webOS multitasking. I took a quick look at Android multitasking on my sad little work-issued Moto RAZR M and it is vertical but the views don't appear animated. I don't know if they will be animated in iOS7 but in webOS the app "cards" were animated...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3332/3609657636_a3af520d07.jpg
http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/000027baf/dbd0/ios-7-multitasking.jpg
Both Google (Android) and Apple (iOS) can get away with using features like this now that webOS is open source and largely abandoned by HP.

To remain somewhat on the original topic of this thread, I add that the only animated app previews I've seen on the desktop were in Windows 7 and this was always one of the first things I turned off on our work-issued machines which are limited to 32 bits by our archaic proprietary software load. This means we have only 3 GB usable out of the 8 GB "placebo RAM" in our machines. :eek: Perhaps the animated app previews in Win 7 wouldn't suck so badly with sufficient memory.

pickaxe
Sep 16, 2013, 10:35 AM
edit: whoops.

Scottland
Sep 16, 2013, 01:29 PM
A gripe for me is the still lacklustre multi monitor support. Whilst it does genuinely seem better than previous incarnations of OSX, it's still only part way there IMO.

ProphetX
Sep 16, 2013, 04:41 PM

I've been using Mavericks since beta 1. And i have had none of the problems your having. Trying rebooting or reinstalling. FYI. i didn't even do a clean install. Sometimes i get errors with the UI but a simple reboot clears up any annoyances.

wrongrobot
Oct 29, 2013, 06:36 PM
So far, the bugs I'm noticing *appear* to be all finder-related in one way or another. I'm using a 2011 MBP i7 with 16Gb RAM

1. Photoshop: Save As dialog box abruptly disappears after 2 seconds. I've determined this occurs if you have Cover Flow as the default view in that dialog box (ie. quickly switching it to another view solves it for awhile); on CS5, it renders the app unusable (grayed out) until you force quit, while on CC it just returns you, unsaved, to your work.

Also, sometimes, in Photoshop CC you can click menu buttons and get no response. clicking out of and back into the app usually solves it.

On both issues, Adobe says it's an OSX problem. Of course.

2. I have icons on desktop set to 'show info' (under view properties) so icons of image files have the pixel dimensions under them. In Mavericks, new icons or changed files lose that info, so you have to turn 'view info' off and then back on, to get it back. EACH TIME.

A few smaller ones as well...

verwon
Oct 29, 2013, 06:58 PM
It looks to me like it's more directly inspired by webOS multitasking. I took a quick look at Android multitasking on my sad little work-issued Moto RAZR M and it is vertical but the views don't appear animated. I don't know if they will be animated in iOS7 but in webOS the app "cards" were animated...

Image (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3332/3609657636_a3af520d07.jpg)
Image (http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/000027baf/dbd0/ios-7-multitasking.jpg)
Both Google (Android) and Apple (iOS) can get away with using features like this now that webOS is open source and largely abandoned by HP.

To remain somewhat on the original topic of this thread, I add that the only animated app previews I've seen on the desktop were in Windows 7 and this was always one of the first things I turned off on our work-issued machines which are limited to 32 bits by our archaic proprietary software load. This means we have only 3 GB usable out of the 8 GB "placebo RAM" in our machines. :eek: Perhaps the animated app previews in Win 7 wouldn't suck so badly with sufficient memory.

I still have my old Palm Pre and I commented on the resemblance to webOS first thing! LOL