PDA

View Full Version : The Price is Right: OS X Mavericks Edition

mactumors
Jun 12, 2013, 01:26 AM
I think this upgrade will be the first one to be free. What do you think?

In the past they have always given a price when they announced an OS upgrade, right?. No price this time. I feel like it is better to not give a price and surprise us with it being free than it is to not give a price and then surprise us with one later. If there were a price, then they should have announced it. Also this release is low on big upgrades. It just adds polish. I can see people shelling out $20 for Notification Center, iCloud, iMessages for Mac, etc. but not so much for Maps and iBooks apps.

aluren
Jun 12, 2013, 03:05 AM
I would pay $20 just for the multi display feature alone. But yeah I'm surprised they didn't announce the price, but I will bet that it will not be more than $20. $10 would be a nice surprise. Free would only happen if there are 600 million macs out in the wild (ie iOS devices).

MartiNZ
Jun 12, 2013, 03:08 AM
With the name convention change they are rather bringing it in "from the wild" :D. I think $20 is going to stick around.

The multiple display change lol ... that should have come in 10.7.1 ><.

ResPublica
Jun 12, 2013, 03:25 AM
With the name convention change they are rather bringing it in "from the wild" :D. I think $20 is going to stick around.

The multiple display change lol ... that should have come in 10.7.1 ><.
True, although they are doing more than just adding full screen mode, since both the menu bar and the dock will be available on both displays, which was never possible in any previous version of OS X.

Snookerman
Jun 12, 2013, 06:18 AM
I would be willing to pay up to $20 but I have a feeling they will go the iOS route and offer it for free. I dont think the ~$560 million they would gain from charging $20 for it matters so much for Apple. It's probably better for them to offer it for free and have more people upgrade or buy a mac.

lewismayell
Jun 12, 2013, 09:16 AM
Maybe I'm just weird, but I would rather pay for it than get it for free

bkribbs
Jun 12, 2013, 09:39 AM
Maybe I'm just weird, but I would rather pay for it than get it for free

Yeah... that's weird.

lewismayell
Jun 12, 2013, 10:09 AM
Yeah... that's weird.

Haha ;)

bkribbs
Jun 12, 2013, 10:20 AM
Haha ;)

Oh I know! If you like paying you can buy it for me too! Double the fun! lol.

For real though- 20 bucks is what it will be I bet. Although with how they shared how great it was so many people had the latest and greatest OS X installed, maybe they will go free.

meme1255
Jun 12, 2013, 10:35 AM
It should be free - Because that's how Mountain Lion should look!

ZacNicholson
Jun 12, 2013, 11:21 AM
I know for a fact it'll be free... for me:D

Breaking Good
Jun 12, 2013, 11:39 AM
Assuming that Apple decides to charge something for Mavericks, when do you think they will start to offer a free upgrade for purchasers of new Macs.

As I recall there was a period of time before the actual release of Mountain Lion where you would receive a free upgrade if you bought a new Mac.

vmachiel
Jun 12, 2013, 12:00 PM
Assuming that Apple decides to charge something for Mavericks, when do you think they will start to offer a free upgrade for purchasers of new Macs.

As I recall there was a period of time before the actual release of Mountain Lion where you would receive a free upgrade if you bought a new Mac.

That was as soon as they had a final month or date. Last time it was from WWDC till July. So I guess whenever they say it going to be this date, or this month, the free upgrades are offered.

lewismayell
Jun 12, 2013, 12:51 PM
Oh I know! If you like paying you can buy it for me too! Double the fun! lol.

For real though- 20 bucks is what it will be I bet. Although with how they shared how great it was so many people had the latest and greatest OS X installed, maybe they will go free.

I don't like paying that much :D

Lolito
Jun 13, 2013, 06:01 AM
for me osx is always free...

negativzero
Jun 13, 2013, 07:11 AM
Isn't Mavericks already "free" if you are a developer.

Or do you guys also buy the AppStore version when it comes out??

trustever
Jun 13, 2013, 07:48 AM
With windoz 8 being a free upgrade for windoz 7 holder I guess that the upgrade to 10.9 from 10.8 should be free as well (just from a marketing point of view)..
Than as we all know Apple thinks different and might charge 19.99..

Michaelgtrusa
Jun 13, 2013, 07:57 AM
Free to $20.

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 13, 2013, 07:59 AM
I think it will be the same as Mountain Lion.

Cougarcat
Jun 13, 2013, 12:24 PM
Isn't Mavericks already "free" if you are a developer.

Or do you guys also buy the AppStore version when it comes out??

It's free.

With windoz 8 being a free upgrade for windoz 7 holder I guess that the upgrade to 10.9 from 10.8 should be free as well (just from a marketing point of view)..

A Windows 8 upgrade from 7 was never free. It was $40, now it's $200 for Pro.

OS X costs are subsidized through hardware, though, so it's unfair to compare them.

HenryDJP
Jun 13, 2013, 04:59 PM

Your logic is out of place though. Microsoft KNEW nobody was going to pay for Windows 8. All jokes aside though (even though I was serious) Microsoft charged $39. Not sure where you saw it was free for Windows 7 users. That would account for way too many people. They would never make any money. ;)

Blakeasd
Jun 13, 2013, 08:20 PM
If Mavericks were to be free, Apple most likely would have touted it at WWDC

Drew017
Jun 13, 2013, 08:45 PM
I say that it would be great if it was free, but it's not likely. It's probably gonna be the same as Mountain Lion was.

Krazy Bill
Jun 13, 2013, 10:08 PM
You'll never see OSX for "free". The perception of something that costs nothing can only damage the overall value of the product.

mrkramer
Jun 13, 2013, 10:28 PM
They will stick with their current pricing. It'll be $20.

Lolito
Jun 14, 2013, 12:02 PM
Mavericks should be 10.7.2, it's same as lion kind off. It will be 60$ since after SL, not cheap at all.

iDuel
Jun 15, 2013, 05:18 AM
Mavericks should be 10.7.2, it's same as lion kind off. It will be 60$ since after SL, not cheap at all.

I don't understand what you are trying to say. You want Mavericks to be $60? No thank you

I am more than happy to pay $20-30.

meme1255
Jun 15, 2013, 06:29 AM
He wanted to say that Manevricks is what we expected from Lion ( and then from Moutain Lion) - And that already Lion should look like Manevricks - many of us payed 30$ for Lion and 20$ for ML and now probably additional 20$. I agree :)

Lolito
Jun 15, 2013, 08:29 PM
Exactly. Sorry for my poor English. Still, I never pay for any OS update, I pirate it of course. I´m not a professional, nor have a company. Actually I´m a bankrupt student, I can't afford these things...

SL was a fair update to pay for, these are nice but...

'Arry
Jun 16, 2013, 03:13 AM
Maybe I'm just weird, but I would rather pay for it than get it for freeMe too.

Why? I have a mid-2009 13" Macbook Pro. It's been a great machine for me. I've maxed out the RAM to 8GB, upgraded the hard drive to a hybrid flash/HDD, and generally kept it in good working order. My next project (when the cost comes down or my Mac gets much slower) will be to fix up an SSD/OptibayHDD Fusion Drive inside. All the recent improvements across the Macbook range (Thunderbolt, USB3, retina screen, flash storage, thinness, battery life) would be conveniences for me, not necessities. Indeed, a rMBP or MBA would lose some features that I use (large internal storage at reasonable cost, FW800, infrared remote).

The point is that as long as my current MBP works well, I'm not going to be giving Apple $1000+ for a new laptop.

As long as I'm giving them $20-30 for each OS upgrade, they have some incentive to keep my mid-2009 13" MBP within the specs for the latest OS. If I weren't giving them any money at all for the OS upgrade, they might as well cut support unnecessarily early in the hope that I will buy a new machine.

I think that Apple does sometimes cut support too soon, without good reason. For example, it would be possible to have iMessage and FaceTime on earlier OS X and iOS versions, but it's just not been done.

gr8tfly
Jun 16, 2013, 03:26 AM
There's a lot more to Mavericks than the new user features you mentioned. There are new internal technologies that will noticeably improve user experience both in responsiveness (not that ML is bad) and battery life. There are also upgrades to Open GL and A/V services. Those are just a few under-the-hood improvements I can remember off the top of my head.

Though not as drastic, I would compare ML to Mavericks more along the lines of Leopard to SL.

If it remains $20, that's an incredible deal. Just a few years ago, major OS X upgrades were $129 (though there were the added costs involved with disc production and packaging).

moldy lunchbox
Aug 14, 2013, 03:32 AM
You'll never see OSX for "free". The perception of something that costs nothing can only damage the overall value of the product.

iOS updates are free.

Macman45
Aug 14, 2013, 03:34 AM
I can't see why Apple would charge more than the usual fee for an OS. $19.99 or the usual £19.99 here in the UK.

vandoorn
Aug 14, 2013, 04:08 AM
I think they will keep the same price as mountain lion. I can't see any reason why to make Mavericks, more expensive than the others.

ScottishDuck
Aug 14, 2013, 05:17 AM
The transition to yearly releases will possibly prompt a lower price point. Free is entirely plausible as it'll ensure users keep up to date with iOS integration features and whatnot.

Ledgem
Aug 14, 2013, 01:59 PM
iOS updates are free.
A while back there was either a post or a MacRumors article explaining why iOS updates can be free but OS X updates can't. I don't remember the specifics, but it had something to do with accounting and possibly legalities, and the way that computers are classified (or how Apple classifies them) compared with devices like tablets and phones. I'm not interested enough to go looking for the original source of that information, and I apologize that my memory isn't much clearer than that, but hopefully it provides enough information for anyone who is curious about the specifics to go out and find it.

Bear
Aug 14, 2013, 02:41 PM
The transition to yearly releases will possibly prompt a lower price point. Free is entirely plausible as it'll ensure users keep up to date with iOS integration features and whatnot.$19.99(US) is a lower price point compared to what they charged previous to the yearly upgrades.

talmy
Aug 14, 2013, 03:54 PM
A while back there was either a post or a MacRumors article explaining why iOS updates can be free but OS X updates can't. I don't remember the specifics, but it had something to do with accounting and possibly legalities, and the way that computers are classified (or how Apple classifies them) compared with devices like tablets and phones. I'm not interested enough to go looking for the original source of that information, and I apologize that my memory isn't much clearer than that, but hopefully it provides enough information for anyone who is curious about the specifics to go out and find it.

It's an accounting issue. When they sell a product the value of any free upgrade (s) in the future is a future debt they need to account for, much like they calculate the cost of future warranty claims.

iOS hasn't always been free. I had to pay for iOS 3 on our 2nd generation iPod Touches, even though it was free for iPhones.

Mr. Retrofire
Aug 14, 2013, 05:31 PM
iOS updates are free.
OS X is not iOS.

mmomega
Aug 14, 2013, 08:31 PM
Keep it $20.

Cougarcat
Aug 14, 2013, 09:09 PM
OS X is not iOS.

So? There is no reason that OS X updates couldn't be free. They might have to change accounting, but they've done that before (when iOS cost $$ for iPod touch users).

And if they didn't want to mess with accounting, they could charge next to nothing for it. They were forced to charge $1.99 for an Airport Enabler that enabled n networking in their Airport cards.

I think it's in Apple's best interest to get everyone they can to the latest OS because it improves their ecosystem, especially with Maverick's improved integration with iOS. Most people don't upgrade their OS and the less barriers there are to upgrade, the better.

...All that said, I expect it'll be $20 again.

Rychy
Aug 17, 2013, 05:48 PM
For some reason I'm thinking it might go back up to the $29.99 pricing of Lion.

mirzank
Aug 18, 2013, 01:51 AM
$19.99 most likely. Its a good pricepoint to get a good majority of their users to upgrade.

the only other reasonable pricepoints I could see are $14.99 or $9.99. You guys have to consider the analysis behind apple pricing. the price covers their development cost. a low price makes sure that users are happy getting annual upgrades. users of the not-newest computers are also kept happy with new features. at a price that seems reasonable. THey will take into account penetration numbers for new os updates. Its also worth it for apple to seem like a progressive platform and non-fragmented by showing how high upgrade numbers are. developers are also happy with high number of upgrades since they don't have to keep supporting legacy computers.

Accounting numbers also matter. apple recently has been getting lowered growth expectations by analysts. can they afford to give up the revenue stream from upgrades by providing free updates? a billion dollars is still a billion dollars. unless what they get from free upgrades is worth more than waht they give up. example goodwill, marketing, new mac sales, etc.

Apple will also look at their sensitivity analysis. If they dropped the price from 19.99 to 9.99, they would have to double their sales to generate the same revenue. if they dropped to 14.99 they would have to increase sales by 25%. if it seems likely that dropping price will increase sales by an amount that results in better net profit, they will do it.

So its not as simple as just apple wanting it to be free. they might establish that giving away free upgrades to osx from now on increases sales of macs by a million units every year. well then maybe its worth it for them to give it away free. the margins on macs more than make up for it.

So lets see how it goes.

KevinM2
Aug 18, 2013, 08:30 AM
Can someone offer me a bit of advice please...

I am currently running my MacBook Air 11 on Lion 10.7.5

If I upgrade to 10.8 now (at a cost of £20/$30), will I have to pay again once 10.9 ships (assuming it's not free), or do Apple have some sort of "free upgrade" window for anyone purchasing an OSX upgrade version within a certain timescale of a newer one being released?

Thanks

ramram55
Aug 18, 2013, 08:34 AM
wait for mavericks to come out. And go from there.

KevinM2
Aug 18, 2013, 08:40 AM
OK, thanks...I don't think I'll have too long to wait :)

laurihoefs
Aug 18, 2013, 01:00 PM

Windows 8 is not a free upgrade.

It was available for a discounted $19,90 for a short while, but is now back to normal pricing. Free Windows 8 upgrades were only offered to people who bought a Windows 7 computer within a certain frame of time. Similar offers were available with previous Windows releases when they came out. Apple did exactly the same with Lion to Mountain Lion upgrades, but I don't know if this is usual with Apple?

I voted for More than $19.99. Nothing is publicly announced yet, so anything is possible. For example Apple could start pricing the new releases based on their significance. So there could be a minor $19.99 release every other year, and a major $39,99 release every other, as far as we know. Like I said, anything is possible, and I'm certainly not counting for Mavericks to go at the same price as ML. I would even happily pay more than $19.99 for Mavericks, if that was the case.

lunaoso
Aug 18, 2013, 08:56 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416550 $99 for the full OS, $70 for an upgrade. Plus you can only use it once, compared to the multiple for OSX.

I said free in the poll. I could see it being $20 like Mountain Lion though.

tlm550
Sep 1, 2013, 12:41 AM

I'm not familiar with "windoz 8" or "windoz 7", but Windows 8 was not a free upgrade from Windows 7. There was a period of several months where a person could upgrade for $15. After that offer expired, it was quite a bit more.

I'm using Windows 7 Pro. I tried Windows 8 and it is horrible. It has the look of "Fisher Price" products to me. If that's the way they go, I will get away from Windows completely. And I'm using a Mac with OS X Mountain Lion. I'm still having trouble converting completely because of the lack of quality software. Even the Mac version of MS Office sucks. But Office for Windows ran under Parallels doesn't run anything like it does in Windows for some reason. I have trouble with Excel spreadsheets mostly (on OS X) that I have no trouble with in Windows. I'm stuck with a Windows 7 machine because I need Office Word & Excel documents. I need to create, share, and edit those and it just doesn't work well on a Mac.

tdmd
Sep 1, 2013, 12:46 AM
I'm not familiar with "windoz 8" or "windoz 7", but Windows 8 was not a free upgrade from Windows 7. There was a period of several months where a person could upgrade for $15. After that offer expired, it was quite a bit more.

I'm using Windows 7 Pro. I tried Windows 8 and it is horrible. It has the look of "Fisher Price" products to me. If that's the way they go, I will get away from Windows completely. And I'm using a Mac with OS X Mountain Lion. I'm still having trouble converting completely because of the lack of quality software. Even the Mac version of MS Office sucks. But Office for Windows ran under Parallels doesn't run anything like it does in Windows for some reason. I have trouble with Excel spreadsheets mostly (on OS X) that I have no trouble with in Windows. I'm stuck with a Windows 7 machine because I need Office Word & Excel documents. I need to create, share, and edit those and it just doesn't work well on a Mac.

Windows 8 can be run in desktop mode and it's smoother than Windows 7. I use a program from Stardock called Start8 that boots to the desktop and brings the start button back. Works flawless, so I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say it's horrible.

electronique
Sep 1, 2013, 05:21 AM
You all may be a little disappointed.

A strong reliable source of mine states that Mavericks will come in at $129.

maflynn
Sep 1, 2013, 05:27 AM

Highly doubtful, Apple has gone to the annual updates and since then has reduced the price. They cannot start charging 129 while only offering small updates. At this point, with the annual updates, they've gone to the small but frequent updates, instead of every couple of years with significant changes and a higher price.

Tar Sniffer
Sep 1, 2013, 07:42 AM
$10 for the MacBook range, and free for iMac and Mac Pro.

This version is pretty light on features, with the best improvement being better battery life, which is only directed at MacBooks. Maps is a welcome addition, but I might save my money and get 'bang for buck' with 10.10 (unless they implement iOS 7 changes, which means I'm not upgrading!).

chrf097
Sep 1, 2013, 10:03 AM
We all wish it would be free.

Realistically, however, it'll probably cost as low as $9.99 US Dollars to as high as $29.99 US Dollars.

Krazy Bill
Sep 1, 2013, 12:32 PM
A strong reliable source of mine states that Mavericks will come in at $129.Is Tim Cook's barber shooting his mouth off again?

Hey, I'll believe anything these days. Who the ******* knows?

rayhigh
Sep 1, 2013, 03:28 PM

If that happens, yo ho ho.

TennisandMusic
Sep 1, 2013, 05:53 PM
Windows 8 can be run in desktop mode and it's smoother than Windows 7. I use a program from Stardock called Start8 that boots to the desktop and brings the start button back. Works flawless, so I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say it's horrible.

8.1 is also going to have a boot to desktop option.

I find this incredibly hard to believe. If it happens, I think that's the final sign that Apple is completely run by bean counters. But I'm not buying it.

MattInOz
Sep 1, 2013, 08:12 PM
I don't think Free would be a good idea from a Mac perspective.

iOS and it's devices are growing, so it's a no brainer to invest in it. No doubt Apple already attaches a value to the OS sold with new devices both Mac and iOS.

Desktops are declining. Laptops may soon be on the same track. So the Mac side of the OS is also on the decline. While there are yearly updates with a price attached them Apple has a dollar value that should be dedicated to Mac side of the OS's development, and incentive to look for development that services both OS's. They also need to make sure they give enough value to keep the revenue stream happening.

gglittle
Sep 1, 2013, 08:34 PM
Like most polls, silly. The price will be what it will be and probably less than the $140 for Windows 8.1.

bedifferent
Sep 1, 2013, 09:53 PM
Highly doubtful, Apple has gone to the annual updates and since then has reduced the price. They cannot start charging 129 while only offering small updates. At this point, with the annual updates, they've gone to the small but frequent updates, instead of every couple of years with significant changes and a higher price.

How quickly things change. Was 10.6 the last OS X release at [the then usual] $129?

Tar Sniffer
Sep 2, 2013, 12:44 AM
How quickly things change. Was 10.6 the last OS X release at [the then usual] $129?

It was 10.5 Leopard. 10.6 was $29 for a single user license.

FoxMcCloud
Sep 2, 2013, 06:08 AM
I'm using Windows 7 Pro. I tried Windows 8 and it is horrible. It has the look of "Fisher Price" products to me.

You're gonna love iOS 7 then! /s

eminemead
Sep 2, 2013, 04:19 PM
I expect to get a free ride this time!!But hey, it's apple....

Bear
Sep 3, 2013, 08:26 AM
I expect to get a free ride this time!!But hey, it's apple....Accounting rules and regulations will probably make free OS X upgrades for everyone a no go. I do expect it to be the $20 price.

AnonMac50
Sep 3, 2013, 09:09 AM
I'll say it again. I REALLY think OS X Mavericks will be free.

Among the many reasons:

Apple still has not announced what is the start date for getting a free upgrade…

Bear
Sep 3, 2013, 10:14 AM
I'll say it again. I REALLY think OS X Mavericks will be free.

Among the many reasons:

Apple still has not announced what is the start date for getting a free upgrade…Not that good a reason, Apple generally announces the release date and the up to date program details about a month before the OS X upgrade is available.

All no announcement means to me is that it's at least a month before Mavericks will be released.

D-a-a-n
Sep 3, 2013, 01:42 PM
Haven't you learned anything? Apple never gives away something for free (except for bumpers during antenna-gate).

TennisandMusic
Sep 3, 2013, 06:00 PM
Haven't you learned anything? Apple never gives away something for free (except for bumpers during antenna-gate).

errr, and all major iOS updates? :p

Saltymac
Sep 3, 2013, 06:17 PM
errr, and all major iOS updates? :p

Much of the "free" content dealt with issues that should have been dealt with before the release iOS release. I don't think Apple is charging for the wifi update for the MBAir.

TennisandMusic
Sep 3, 2013, 08:09 PM
Much of the "free" content dealt with issues that should have been dealt with before the release iOS release. I don't think Apple is charging for the wifi update for the MBAir.

I'm talking about going from iOS6 -> iOS7 will be totally free, as it has for many many versions. I think it is far more likely OSX goes to a free update than back to a 129 price. Either way, silly thing to argue about. We will find out soon.

Saltymac
Sep 3, 2013, 09:41 PM
I'm talking about going from iOS6 -> iOS7 will be totally free, as it has for many many versions. I think it is far more likely OSX goes to a free update than back to a 129 price. Either way, silly thing to argue about. We will find out soon.

I see - good point. I am going with a $29.99 price.

azentropy
Sep 4, 2013, 09:31 AM
I still say Apple is going to change it's policies and make it free. When announced I forget if it was Cook or the OS guy who said something like "Will be available for download in the Fall"... Maybe I'm analyzing too much - but It kinda struck a cord with that wording rather than any of the other ways he could have stated it.

"Will be available in the Fall"
"Will be available for purchase in the Fall"
"Will be available from the App Store in the Fall"

Bear
Sep 4, 2013, 12:03 PM
I still say Apple is going to change it's policies and make it free. When announced I forget if it was Cook or the OS guy who said something like "Will be available for download in the Fall"... Maybe I'm analyzing too much - but It kinda struck a cord with that wording rather than any of the other ways he could have stated it.

"Will be available from the App Store in the Fall"Interesting analysis. On one hand it could mean free like you said, on the other hand it could just be referencing the fact that OS X is only available via downloads these days and they will be charging for it.

Tyler23
Sep 4, 2013, 12:03 PM

"Will be available from the App Store in the Fall"

I'm pretty sure that's what they say every year.

myxomatosis
Sep 4, 2013, 07:43 PM
19,99$ seems to be a fair price to me.

WhackyNinja
Sep 5, 2013, 01:27 PM
$20 bucks (or $19.99) is very reasonable price.

Yamcha
Sep 5, 2013, 01:42 PM
I'd say It should be free. I've not really noticed any significant features worth upgrading..

----------

Like most polls, silly. The price will be what it will be and probably less than the $140 for Windows 8.1.

Actually Windows 8.1 is a completely free upgrade from Windows 8. Exactly why I believe OSX Mavericks should also be free If you have Mountain Lion..

Krazy Bill
Sep 5, 2013, 02:01 PM
I'd say It should be free. I've not really noticed any significant features worth upgrading..

Snow Leopard actually touted "0" new features and it cost $29 which people gladly paid. In some enterprise/vertical markets companies pay regular maintenance fees just to keep development going. I think OSX upgrades are worth something. If anything, just to keep the Cupertino coffee station stocked as the coders burn the midnight oil.

APhillyApple
Sep 6, 2013, 07:05 PM
I am fairly certain it will be the same as Mountain Lion.

Bear
Sep 6, 2013, 07:17 PM
I'd say It should be free. I've not really noticed any significant features worth upgrading..The under the hood improvements alone arfe well worth the $20 it will probably be.

Actually Windows 8.1 is a completely free upgrade from Windows 8. Exactly why I believe OSX Mavericks should also be free If you have Mountain Lion..One of the differences is that Windows 8 cost $100 or more. Do you want to go back to paying over $100 for OS X upgrades every two or three years instead of $20 every year?

coldjeanzzz
Sep 7, 2013, 08:10 PM
It doesn't seem much different but if it improves battery life I'm buying it immediately

Tiptizzle
Sep 7, 2013, 09:39 PM
Actually Windows 8.1 is a completely free upgrade from Windows 8. Exactly why I believe OSX Mavericks should also be free If you have Mountain Lion..

And it's still overpriced. :)

MeUnix
Sep 8, 2013, 01:13 AM
It will cost $20.

Plus, the under the hood improvements are worth the $20.

AppleMacFinder
Sep 8, 2013, 03:47 AM
For me, it will be free... If you know what I mean... :rolleyes:

cedwhatev
Sep 8, 2013, 08:44 AM
I have no problem paying 20.00 for it... if the rumoured better battery life comes into play, then it's a steal.

Snookerman
Oct 22, 2013, 12:29 PM
I would be willing to pay up to $20 but I have a feeling they will go the iOS route and offer it for free. I dont think the ~$560 million they would gain from charging $20 for it matters so much for Apple. It's probably better for them to offer it for free and have more people upgrade or buy a mac.

Called it.

charlieroberts
Oct 22, 2013, 02:34 PM
I hate that its free...

Bad omen

talmy
Oct 22, 2013, 02:55 PM
I hate that its free...

Bad omen

They just want fast and widespread adoption by removing as many barriers as possible.

BasicGreatGuy
Oct 22, 2013, 03:03 PM
I hate that its free...

Bad omen

I think it is a smart business model. With declining pc sales across the market, this removes the upgrade cost factor from the equation, for people considering buying a pricey Mac, versus a much cheaper Windows based computer.

WhackyNinja
Oct 22, 2013, 03:06 PM
Guess 527 people (including me) were proved wrong today

clukas
Oct 22, 2013, 03:43 PM
Guess 527 people (including me) were proved wrong today

agree, I think the fact Mavericks was free was a little of a surprise.

WhackyNinja
Oct 22, 2013, 04:16 PM
agree, I think the fact Mavericks was free was a little of a surprise.

A fantastic surprise

mactumors
Oct 22, 2013, 04:17 PM
Called it. Nothing to say. Came here to gloat.

BasicGreatGuy
Oct 22, 2013, 04:19 PM
Called it. Nothing to say. Came here to gloat.
You win 1 internet.

clukas
Oct 22, 2013, 04:26 PM
A fantastic surprise

agree 100%!