PDA

View Full Version : Nice OS, shame about the battery drain

megalaser
Jun 12, 2013, 03:15 AM
Literally losing 20% of the battery life in an hour with no apps running and very minimal use (no calls), the phones VERY warm too - I hope they can fix this or it's a dead duck.

eattherich
Jun 12, 2013, 03:19 AM
Literally losing 20% of the battery life in an hour with no apps running and very minimal use (no calls), the phones VERY warm too - I hope they can fix this or it's a dead duck.

It's a beta, these things can and should be expected. That's why it's not recommended to use it on your main device. I've not tried it myself but I've seen a few people saying that they're impressed with the battery life.

acosmichippo
Jun 12, 2013, 03:21 AM
As always with iOS software updates, most people haven't had battery problems. If you are sure you're seeing a noticeable decline, I'd suggest first rebooting, and then possibly a restore as new. Sometimes upgrades go fubar and mess with the battery for some reason.

watchthisspace
Jun 12, 2013, 03:21 AM
It's a beta, these things can and should be expected. That's why it's not recommended to use it on your main device. I've not tried it myself but I've seen a few people saying that they're impressed with the battery life.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Apple has purposely broke elements in iOS:7 for the few who aren't developers and install the beta.

And the fact it's a beta should scream it's not perfect.

megalaser
Jun 12, 2013, 03:22 AM
Is it a beta?

recklesslife85
Jun 12, 2013, 03:24 AM
I was waiting for someone to tell me it's a beta, thanks for that. The battery life is an issue, I'm seeing a lot of reports of the same thing, overheating and very fast battery drain.

Its a beta ;) - In all seriousness, Apple know so there most prob fixing it right now. Expect it to be fixed in the next beta 2 - hopefully... :)

ijohn.8.80
Jun 12, 2013, 03:24 AM

Seriously? I've got everything with location services running, etc... and my iPhone 5 is cool to touch and has only used about 15% power in the last 9 hours. :)

Dalton63841
Jun 12, 2013, 03:26 AM
I'm on an iPhone 4 with the iOS 7 beta. I installed it on my iPhone at this time last night and was at 100% battery then. As of right now, pretty much exactly 24 hours later, it is at 22%. On 6.1.3 I'd have needed to grab the charger about 4 hours ago.

LydonZA
Jun 12, 2013, 03:29 AM
I've definitely noticed a battery drain as well. Now that I've adjusted a few settings such as brightness, location services etc, it's more in line with the battery life I was getting previously (with the same settings), but there's still a noticeable difference. It's 10:28AM here, I've hardly used my phone today and it's already down to 58%. But it seems to have stopped discharging on 58% so I'm hoping the rest of the charge depletes as slowly.

megalaser
Jun 12, 2013, 03:32 AM
OK so if you have a great battery life did you restore from a previous phones backup over the clean IOS7 install (at hello screen) or have you added apps and changed settings manually. i.e.: could it be the restoring from old backups that is causing the battery issue - thanks

----------

I am seeing either people saying the battery is great or it's terrible, there must be a common denominator. iPhone 5, my battery stinks and the phones getting warm, I have seen other people saying their iPhone 5 is fine.

rmeadejr
Jun 12, 2013, 03:34 AM
OK so if you have a great battery life did you restore from a previous phones backup over the clean IOS7 install (at hello screen) or have you added apps and changed settings manually. i.e.: could it be the restoring from old backups that is causing the battery issue - thanks

----------

I am seeing either people saying the battery is great or it's terrible, there must be a common denominator. iPhone 5, my battery stinks and the phones getting warm, I have seen other people saying their iPhone 5 is fine.

my battery is doing great. i have an ip5 and i installed ios 7 as a new device.

kdhoe
Jun 12, 2013, 03:34 AM
I have a much better battery life with iOS 7. I upgraded to iOS 7 (no restore)

blue54321
Jun 12, 2013, 03:35 AM
In my opinion the battery drained slower over the night on iPhone 5. Around 4%, on iOS 6 was sometimes 20%. If I use the phone i have the feeling it drains quicker.
I would recommend to look on location services, especially system services. There are couple things that like to use it a lot.
Also wallpaper motion tends to use more cpu power, so it would be nice if there will be a option to turn that off later on.

ijohn.8.80
Jun 12, 2013, 03:36 AM

I did it as a simple update. No battery drain issues, iPhone 5, A1429.

cnev3
Jun 12, 2013, 03:37 AM
I really hope it is an issue that can be resolved through the beta, and not just a reality of ios7 and a result of the new features like the parallax backgrounds and improved multitasking. For me, the leanness of iOS is one of the major reasons I switched from Android.

Dalton63841
Jun 12, 2013, 03:38 AM

----------

Actually I didn't restore at all. I was on 6.1.3, opened iTunes, Option+Click Update, choose the iOS 7 beta, and done. nothing special.

EDIT: It may make a difference that I have always been very picky about what I let use Location Services.

megalaser
Jun 12, 2013, 03:41 AM
Battery life is a critical issue for any mobile device including cameras ect, so important that it should be regarded as an iBattery with a phone built in, it's weird that some people have no issues on a 5 and others have a fast drain, mine never had this issue before, there has to be a reason.

tymaster50
Jun 12, 2013, 03:52 AM
my battery drained 20% over the night without use lol

AdamA9
Jun 12, 2013, 03:58 AM
Have you tried turning off 'Background App Refresh' in the settings? This will preserve some battery life.

tymaster50
Jun 12, 2013, 04:05 AM
Have you tried turning off 'Background App Refresh' in the settings? This will preserve some battery life.

It's off, I had a panorama bg tho so idk if that did anything.

Blue Sun
Jun 12, 2013, 04:06 AM
Sorry to highjack this thread (although it does relate somewhat to battery drain) - what options are there in Settings for the Control Centre? Are we able to change what appears in the Control Centre? For instance, can we swap the Airplane Mode toggle for Mobile Data?

tymaster50
Jun 12, 2013, 04:07 AM
Sorry to highjack this thread (although it does relate somewhat to battery drain) - what options are there in Settings for the Control Centre? Are we able to change what appears in the Control Centre? For instance, can we swap the Airplane Mode toggle for Mobile Data?

No

eaglesteve
Jun 12, 2013, 04:37 PM
After just 1 hours 43 minutes after a full charge I've just 16% left in my battery.

It was never this bad with the previous beta that I tried.

Nikos
Jun 12, 2013, 04:48 PM
Same here. After about three hours of listening to music in headphones, and other light usage, my battery was dead.

ZaYoOoD
Jun 12, 2013, 04:55 PM
It's so bad, it's weird!

On airplane mode, I got only 2 hours of usage!

BIRDinho
Jun 12, 2013, 04:56 PM
What iPhones you guys running it on? My iPhone 5 has been lasting all day since 9AM

SixSlinger
Jun 12, 2013, 04:57 PM
It's slightly worse for me, but nothing drastic as you are describing. I am also using my iPhone ALL the time now, playing with the new UI, and still am getting through most of a work day with 20% remaining. I'm using an iPhone 5.

rmeadejr
Jun 12, 2013, 05:00 PM
What iPhones you guys running it on? My iPhone 5 has been lasting all day since 9AM

same here. i'm on a ip5

MisterDisney
Jun 12, 2013, 05:07 PM
It seems about the same, to me. Or at least, so close that I can't tell?

Especially since I'm playing around with it more, since updating to the beta.

eaglesteve
Jun 12, 2013, 05:12 PM
I'm running iPhone 5, the model that ends with 9.

batting1000
Jun 12, 2013, 05:16 PM
Why is this so surprising to you guys? It's the first developer beta...

It's not a public release so this shouldn't be surprising.

LastLine
Jun 12, 2013, 05:16 PM
My 4S is embarrasing at the minute since I upgraded. It's probably one of those early beta things, Beta 2 or 3 will likely sort it.

rmeadejr
Jun 12, 2013, 05:20 PM
My 4S is embarrasing at the minute since I upgraded. It's probably one of those early beta things, Beta 2 or 3 will likely sort it.

funny thing with betas, beta 2 or 3 could become worse. thats the price of putting a beta on your phone...ugh

nrrhgreg
Jun 12, 2013, 05:21 PM
I tested this today and purposefully didn't charge my 5 while using it. I got 5 hours and 55 minutes of usage with mostly using LTE, streaming radio, visiting websites, refreshing Tweetbot and some gaming. That's about the same I was getting with iOS 6.

Jare
Jun 12, 2013, 05:21 PM
After just 1 hours 43 minutes after a full charge I've just 16% left in my battery.

It was never this bad with the previous beta that I tried.

It's a beta. You're a dev, you should know this and be running it on a test device for the strict purpose of updating your applications for iOS 7.

eaglesteve
Jun 12, 2013, 05:22 PM

I can understand that. It's just the degree of the problem that took me by surprise. I wonder if that's primarily due to the different multitasking design.

I've already switched off location services, data, LTE, background update, and Bluetooth. I'm primarily just listening to music and checking Facebook occasionally in my test.

ErikGrim
Jun 12, 2013, 05:37 PM
Did you restore from an iCloud backup? That will severely drain your battery until it finishes. If you, like me, have tons of photos and media, that can take days.

Oppressed
Jun 12, 2013, 05:38 PM
Are we sure the iPhone isn't just indexing the contents because a new OS was just loaded onto itself? This returning to normal in due time?

imjoee
Jun 12, 2013, 05:43 PM

r u using the iphone 5??

davie18
Jun 12, 2013, 05:47 PM
My battery life is absolutely fine.

batting1000
Jun 12, 2013, 05:51 PM
I can understand that. It's just the degree of the problem that took me by surprise. I wonder if that's primarily due to the different multitasking design.

I've already switched off location services, data, LTE, background update, and Bluetooth. I'm primarily just listening to music and checking Facebook occasionally in my test.

It's simply because it's a beta. Apple doesn't intend for it to be used on a device daily I would think so it's likely not the top priority over bug fixes. Plus, there's probably extra things running like debug code and diagnostic stuff because it's a beta. There also could be bugs with new features that are causing the drain. There's a reason they have betas.

Please know that I'm not one of those people who hates non-devs using betas. I'm merely pointing out that the reason the beta has bad battery life is because it's a beta and there are still things to be worked out.

bbfc
Jun 12, 2013, 05:54 PM
Is it a beta?

If you're asking that question, you really shouldn't be using it.

batting1000
Jun 12, 2013, 06:00 PM
Is it a beta?

Not sure if serious or...

unobtainium
Jun 12, 2013, 06:04 PM

Who said it was surprising? They're just discussing issues with the beta.

batting1000
Jun 12, 2013, 06:06 PM
Who said it was surprising? They're just discussing issues with the beta.

They're acting so surprised as though it can't possibly have bad battery life.

hamiltonDSi
Jun 12, 2013, 06:07 PM
Also wallpaper motion tends to use more cpu power, so it would be nice if there will be a option to turn that off later on.

You can.
Settings / General / Accessibility :)

eaglesteve
Jun 12, 2013, 06:23 PM
there's probably extra things running like debug code and diagnostic stuff because it's a beta. There also could be bugs with new features that are causing the drain. There's a reason they have betas.

This reply makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

AmazingGraceTx
Jun 12, 2013, 06:27 PM
In my opinion the battery drained slower over the night on iPhone 5. Around 4%, on iOS 6 was sometimes 20%. If I use the phone i have the feeling it drains quicker.
I would recommend to look on location services, especially system services. There are couple things that like to use it a lot.

I've turned mine off and I'm hopeful it'll make a difference.

Alex89
Jun 12, 2013, 06:41 PM
I've turned mine off and I'm hopeful it'll make a difference.

How?

Update: done.

AmazingGraceTx
Jun 12, 2013, 07:29 PM
How?

Update: done.

I'm sorry. I originally put how, then saw that someone else did too, so I took the instructions out. I'm glad you were able to shut yours off. I am seeing a difference with mine.

TG1
Jun 12, 2013, 07:34 PM
I had the battery drain issue right after I installed iOS 7. I woke up in the morning to a dead phone after leaving it at around 85%. After reading a few posts, I wiped my iPhone 5 and started new instead of restoring from my backup. I also turned off background app updates and parallex. This did the trick. No more warm phone or excessive battery drain.

PNutts
Jun 12, 2013, 09:15 PM
I had the battery drain issue right after I installed iOS 7. I woke up in the morning to a dead phone after leaving it at around 85%. After reading a few posts, I wiped my iPhone 5 and started new instead of restoring from my backup. I also turned off background app updates and parallex. This did the trick. No more warm phone or excessive battery drain.

Yeah, I didn't read the whole thread but 99% of the battery drain folks are reporting are caused by apps. Nothing new here, it happens a lot with upgrades and restores.

HCO
Jun 12, 2013, 11:24 PM
i see notifications that are a day old pop up as if they are new. i get a phone reset like 2 or 3 times a day. battery does not last all day. it now last about half a day.

ross1998
Jun 12, 2013, 11:27 PM
My battery is great

LastLine
Jun 19, 2013, 12:23 PM
funny thing with betas, beta 2 or 3 could become worse. thats the price of putting a beta on your phone...ugh

Oh totally agree :) Crossing fingers for better. I assume there's an element of learning in the OS as well given it's watching for my check ins etc...

Northernist
Jun 19, 2013, 01:13 PM
It's a beta meant for developers, not optimized to be used as a daily device.

Why is this so hard to understand for people?

Zaft
Jun 19, 2013, 01:19 PM
exactly why apple needs to put more restrictions so non developers cant use the new software. We have a ton of threads on people that aren't developers complaining.. enough is enough. This is the first beta out of 4 or 5 more until gold master..

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 19, 2013, 01:20 PM
It's a beta meant for developers, not optimized to be used as a daily device.

Why is this so hard to understand for people?

I don't think it is a matter of not understanding. I think it is more a matter of people hoping that they won't be one of the ones affected by a significant battery drain. And as such, can continue using the beta.

gomoq13
Jun 19, 2013, 01:30 PM
The battery drain on my iPhone 4S was really bad until I disabled Settings>General>Background App Refresh and Settings>iTunes App Stores>Automatic Downloads. Now, it's much much better.

NM08SRT8
Jun 19, 2013, 01:42 PM
B e t a

VSMacOne
Jun 19, 2013, 02:18 PM
B e t a

I don't understand why we had to make a new freaking thread just to complain about something that's a very well know fact with a BETA. People who judge iOS 7 based on the current state, have no idea what a beta is and how it works.

campingsk8er
Jun 20, 2013, 03:27 AM

This is definitely a case by case basis. Yesterday I was studying all day for my finals and didn't check my phone once, and in the 6 hours I was studying, battery dropped like 3%

johndallas999
Jun 20, 2013, 07:26 AM

What a minute....it's a beta you say? :rolleyes: Hilarious

duelingdragons
Jun 20, 2013, 08:44 AM
I had great battery life for the first week using iOS 7, but the last few days its been horrendous.

I unplugged my phone at 7:30 this morning and its already down to 66%.

----------

But yeah, people complaining about this stuff when they're using beta software and also aren't developers is just hilarious...

egraphixstudios
Jun 20, 2013, 10:47 AM
I had great battery life for the first week using iOS 7, but the last few days its been horrendous.

I unplugged my phone at 7:30 this morning and its already down to 66%.

----------

But yeah, people complaining about this stuff when they're using beta software and also aren't developers is just hilarious...

Did u setup phone as new or restore an old backup when upgrading to IOS7 beta1?