Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Literally losing 20% of the battery life in an hour with no apps running and very minimal use (no calls), the phones VERY warm too - I hope they can fix this or it's a dead duck.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Literally losing 20% of the battery life in an hour with no apps running and very minimal use (no calls), the phones VERY warm too - I hope they can fix this or it's a dead duck.

It's a beta, these things can and should be expected. That's why it's not recommended to use it on your main device. I've not tried it myself but I've seen a few people saying that they're impressed with the battery life.

acosmichippo

macrumors regular
May 7, 2008
As always with iOS software updates, most people haven't had battery problems. If you are sure you're seeing a noticeable decline, I'd suggest first rebooting, and then possibly a restore as new. Sometimes upgrades go fubar and mess with the battery for some reason.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
It's a beta, these things can and should be expected. That's why it's not recommended to use it on your main device. I've not tried it myself but I've seen a few people saying that they're impressed with the battery life.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Apple has purposely broke elements in iOS:7 for the few who aren't developers and install the beta.

And the fact it's a beta should scream it's not perfect.

recklesslife85

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2012
I was waiting for someone to tell me it's a beta, thanks for that. The battery life is an issue, I'm seeing a lot of reports of the same thing, overheating and very fast battery drain.

Its a beta ;) - In all seriousness, Apple know so there most prob fixing it right now. Expect it to be fixed in the next beta 2 - hopefully... :)

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.

Seriously? I've got everything with location services running, etc... and my iPhone 5 is cool to touch and has only used about 15% power in the last 9 hours. :)

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
I'm on an iPhone 4 with the iOS 7 beta. I installed it on my iPhone at this time last night and was at 100% battery then. As of right now, pretty much exactly 24 hours later, it is at 22%. On 6.1.3 I'd have needed to grab the charger about 4 hours ago.

LydonZA

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
Cape Town, South Africa
I've definitely noticed a battery drain as well. Now that I've adjusted a few settings such as brightness, location services etc, it's more in line with the battery life I was getting previously (with the same settings), but there's still a noticeable difference. It's 10:28AM here, I've hardly used my phone today and it's already down to 58%. But it seems to have stopped discharging on 58% so I'm hoping the rest of the charge depletes as slowly.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
OK so if you have a great battery life did you restore from a previous phones backup over the clean IOS7 install (at hello screen) or have you added apps and changed settings manually. i.e.: could it be the restoring from old backups that is causing the battery issue - thanks

----------

I am seeing either people saying the battery is great or it's terrible, there must be a common denominator. iPhone 5, my battery stinks and the phones getting warm, I have seen other people saying their iPhone 5 is fine.

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks
OK so if you have a great battery life did you restore from a previous phones backup over the clean IOS7 install (at hello screen) or have you added apps and changed settings manually. i.e.: could it be the restoring from old backups that is causing the battery issue - thanks

----------

I am seeing either people saying the battery is great or it's terrible, there must be a common denominator. iPhone 5, my battery stinks and the phones getting warm, I have seen other people saying their iPhone 5 is fine.

my battery is doing great. i have an ip5 and i installed ios 7 as a new device.

blue54321

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
In my opinion the battery drained slower over the night on iPhone 5. Around 4%, on iOS 6 was sometimes 20%. If I use the phone i have the feeling it drains quicker.
I would recommend to look on location services, especially system services. There are couple things that like to use it a lot.
Also wallpaper motion tends to use more cpu power, so it would be nice if there will be a option to turn that off later on.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.

I did it as a simple update. No battery drain issues, iPhone 5, A1429.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
I really hope it is an issue that can be resolved through the beta, and not just a reality of ios7 and a result of the new features like the parallax backgrounds and improved multitasking. For me, the leanness of iOS is one of the major reasons I switched from Android.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA

----------

Actually I didn't restore at all. I was on 6.1.3, opened iTunes, Option+Click Update, choose the iOS 7 beta, and done. nothing special.

EDIT: It may make a difference that I have always been very picky about what I let use Location Services.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Battery life is a critical issue for any mobile device including cameras ect, so important that it should be regarded as an iBattery with a phone built in, it's weird that some people have no issues on a 5 and others have a fast drain, mine never had this issue before, there has to be a reason.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Have you tried turning off 'Background App Refresh' in the settings? This will preserve some battery life.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
Sorry to highjack this thread (although it does relate somewhat to battery drain) - what options are there in Settings for the Control Centre? Are we able to change what appears in the Control Centre? For instance, can we swap the Airplane Mode toggle for Mobile Data?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Sorry to highjack this thread (although it does relate somewhat to battery drain) - what options are there in Settings for the Control Centre? Are we able to change what appears in the Control Centre? For instance, can we swap the Airplane Mode toggle for Mobile Data?

No

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
Extremely extremely bad battery life

After just 1 hours 43 minutes after a full charge I've just 16% left in my battery.

It was never this bad with the previous beta that I tried.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Same here. After about three hours of listening to music in headphones, and other light usage, my battery was dead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.