PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7, not good if you are left handed!

northernbaldy
Jun 12, 2013, 04:52 AM
I've just realised while I was deleting some emails, the new slide from the right is great, If you are right handed!

its a big stretch for your thumb if you are a lefty

snappyfool
Jun 12, 2013, 04:54 AM
I've just realised while I was deleting some emails, the new slide from the right is great, If you are right handed!

Back button on top left has always called for a stretch for right-handers. I don't think you can avoid it completely for either hand unless you have a 3 inch screen :P

tymaster50
Jun 12, 2013, 04:54 AM
im a lefty and I don't notice anything hard to do

foobi
Jun 12, 2013, 04:56 AM
No problems for me..

northernbaldy
Jun 12, 2013, 05:03 AM
fair enough :D

I'm not a lefty myself, so thanks for the lefty replies

mad demon
Oct 5, 2013, 04:39 PM
You must have really small hands. I'm more concerned with the delete button when you entered a wrong phone number. That's a huge stretch.

braddick
Oct 5, 2013, 05:36 PM
Holding your iPhone upside down helps make it easier.

Sonnestah
Oct 5, 2013, 05:44 PM
Holding your iPhone upside down helps make it easier.

You are holding it wrong

:D

dannyyankou
Oct 5, 2013, 05:45 PM
I'm right handed and I've been using my phone left handed for the last 10 minutes without realizing it.

Edit: And iOS 6 must've been TORTURE for right handed people.

braddick
Oct 5, 2013, 05:47 PM
I couldn't figure out why all I saw was the Apple logo no matter what until I realized I had it turned around.

kazmac
Oct 5, 2013, 05:50 PM

No problems for this southpaw.

imaginex20
Oct 5, 2013, 05:55 PM
I'm right handed but use my left hand as my primary hand for my smart phone

WillFisher
Oct 5, 2013, 06:16 PM
Only point for this is you're saying Right Handed people had it hell in iOS 6 and below?
Sorry just not following here.

MistahMumford
Oct 5, 2013, 09:36 PM
I too am a lefty and I have no issues!

Carlanga
Oct 5, 2013, 09:45 PM

you don't have to do it from the right border, just right to left can be close to the left border.

Cell-666
Oct 6, 2013, 03:58 AM
No problems for this southpaw.

Southpaw has nothing to do with being left handed :p

I'm left handed and have no problem, but us lefties tend to be naturally ambidextrous anyway :)

Gav2k
Oct 6, 2013, 03:59 AM
I'm right handed and use my iPhone left handed always have. But never had your issue

MistahMumford
Oct 6, 2013, 06:22 AM

I'm left handed and have no problem, but us lefties tend to be naturally ambidextrous anyway :)

Ya know, the only thing I do with my left hand is write I think

Shrink
Oct 6, 2013, 06:32 AM
Lefties Unite!

We are an oppressed minority!

Fight Back!

Oh, what the hell...it's really not a problem for me.

And really, when you think about it...who else counts?

:rolleyes: ;) :D

Julien
Oct 6, 2013, 06:59 AM
A Goole search indicates Jony Ive is a lefty.

Jenniejoy07
Oct 6, 2013, 08:14 AM
I'm a lefty but switch back and forth between which ha d I'm using, but prefer my right hand more.

SMIDG3T
Oct 6, 2013, 08:27 AM
I'm left-handed and I have no issues using iOS 7.

You must have small hands...

thatgirl87
Oct 6, 2013, 08:35 AM
I'm left handed and I don't notice any issues.

stevemiller
Oct 6, 2013, 10:18 AM
I don't mind the email thing (I rarely delete anyway)

But in a similar vein, on the ipad they moved the bookmarks bar over to the right of the URL bar, so now I'm reaching across the screen to tap it. It's way too personal preference to complain too loudly, but I do miss the old layout!

sjinsjca
Oct 6, 2013, 10:27 AM
A sinister thread...

TerrorCandii
Oct 6, 2013, 10:30 AM
Coming from an Android Samsung Galaxy Note 2, I feel the iPhone is so small and see no issues. I also am left handed. Surprisingly, I actually love this phone, so.

sjinsjca
Oct 6, 2013, 10:33 AM
http://www.sagen.at/texte/maerchen/maerchen_deutschland/hoffmann/images/daumenlutscher_4.jpg

(From "Die Geschichte vom Daumenlutscher", a merry little tale told to German children to discourage them from thumb-sucking. A roving tailor will come chop off your thumbs, you see, rendering iOS 7 not-good for both right- and left-handers.)

Cell-666
Oct 6, 2013, 12:37 PM
Ya know, the only thing I do with my left hand is write I think

Yeah left handed scissor are regiculuos. My problem is I'm right footed, I've been playing drums for years and ended up playing right handed due to my stronger right foot....!

Anyway, yes lefties unit!

kazmac
Oct 6, 2013, 12:58 PM
A sinister thread...

damn straight!

darngooddesign
Oct 6, 2013, 01:28 PM

I'm not a lefty myself, so thanks for the lefty replies

Seems like this thread is unnecessarily alarmist. It would have been better as a question, not a statement, since you aren't left handed.

Since you are not left handed how would you know that 7 is not good for a left handed person?

silverboy31
Oct 6, 2013, 01:29 PM

Same here true lefty no problem at all

hyhybt
Oct 6, 2013, 03:32 PM
Is it really that odd to hold the thing in one hand and use the touchscreen with the other?

roadbloc
Oct 6, 2013, 03:40 PM
Is it really that odd to hold the thing in one hand and use the touchscreen with the other?

Apparently not.

http://zowchow.com/files/2013/01/steve-jobs-using-iphone.jpg

To put it simply OP, you're holding it wrong.

hyhybt
Oct 6, 2013, 04:23 PM
Apparently not.

To put it simply OP, you're holding it wrong.

Thanks; I feel better now.

Will2145
Oct 6, 2013, 04:26 PM
I'm right handed and my left hand is always the primary hand that holds the phone.

Mike in Kansas
Oct 6, 2013, 06:18 PM
Left handed here as well, but since I live in a right handed world I tend to be able to use both hands well. I've had no problem using with hand with any iPhone.

Also a switch hitter and switch hockey player; I think most lefties have the ability to do more with their right hands than right handlers can do with their left.

MisterDisney
Oct 6, 2013, 07:07 PM
Left handed, no problems using it with just one hand.

Stuntman06
Oct 6, 2013, 10:13 PM
Is this an issue with iOS 7 that doesn't exist with iOS 6 and earlier versions?

joneill55
Oct 6, 2013, 11:33 PM

I agree. Lefty here as well and not a problem what-so-ever.

white4s
Oct 7, 2013, 08:20 AM

no problems using my index finger

KentuckyHouse
Oct 7, 2013, 08:34 AM

Oh really?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/southpaw
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/southpaw

So, if the term "southpaw" has nothing to do with being left handed, what exactly does it mean? :rolleyes:

Lefties Unite!

We are an oppressed minority!

Fight Back!

Oh, what the hell...it's really not a problem for me.

And really, when you think about it...who else counts?

:rolleyes: ;) :D

Lefty here as well (or should I say southpaw)! It's good to see so many lefties around here. FWIW, I've never noticed an issue with using any version of iOS being a lefty. It's just not a thing.

Yeah left handed scissor are regiculuos. My problem is I'm right footed, I've been playing drums for years and ended up playing right handed due to my stronger right foot....!

Anyway, yes lefties unit!

How are left handed scissors ridiculous? In a job like mine where I use scissors all the time to cut material, they're a must. Using right handed scissors is frankly painful after a while, since they're made to conform to a right hand. Everything is backwards!

But yes, I'm with you on this...lefties unite! :D

Ed91
Oct 7, 2013, 09:03 AM
Except it's not swipe from the right, it's swipe to the left.. there's no need to start the swipe on the right of the screen, so no reason to stretch.

That said, if deleting by swiping left is torture for lefties, the universal "back" edge gesture from the left must be killing us poor right handed folk.. :rolleyes:

darngooddesign
Oct 7, 2013, 09:10 AM
...FWIW, I've never noticed an issue with using any version of iOS being a lefty. It's just not a thing.

Of course its not a thing. The OP has already stated that he is not left-handed despite him saying it is hard to use for a left handed person.

takeshi74
Oct 7, 2013, 09:47 AM

No problems here but even among lefties we don't all have the same size thumbs.

Again, lefties aren't all identical. How ambidextrous one is varies.

Southpaw has nothing to do with being left handed
Not sure what you mean. It has everything to do with being left handed.

xxBURT0Nxx
Oct 7, 2013, 10:46 AM

what are you talking about? I can swipe from 4 letters in and swipe it to the left and it will pull up the delete options. You don't have to reach all the way across the phone to delete things. You don't even have to reach half way across the screen to delete things. I think anyone with a hand larger than a 4 year old should be able to easily perform the delete swipe.

nefan65
Oct 7, 2013, 10:59 AM
I'm right handed, and I have the same issues with left handed coffee mugs.

northernbaldy
Oct 7, 2013, 02:36 PM
glol, I love it

such an innocent post and some people have gotten really riled

3lite
Oct 7, 2013, 02:46 PM
The iPhone at it's size, regardless of your dominant hand, will be hard to use.

Cell-666
Oct 7, 2013, 04:29 PM
Oh really?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/southpaw
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/southpaw

So, if the term "southpaw" has nothing to do with being left handed, what exactly does it mean? :rolleyes:

Lefty here as well (or should I say southpaw)! It's good to see so many lefties around here. FWIW, I've never noticed an issue with using any version of iOS being a lefty. It's just not a thing.

How are left handed scissors ridiculous? In a job like mine where I use scissors all the time to cut material, they're a must. Using right handed scissors is frankly painful after a while, since they're made to conform to a right hand. Everything is backwards!

But yes, I'm with you on this...lefties unite! :D

Southpaw is actually a stance in boxing, but right handlers can use southpaw so it doesn't specifically mean left handed, it means you lead with you right foot and right hand.

If you Yanks keep changing the meaning and spelling of words then that's your look out :p

KentuckyHouse
Oct 7, 2013, 04:39 PM
Southpaw is actually a stance in boxing, but right handlers can use southpaw so it doesn't specifically mean left handed, it means you lead with you right foot and right hand.

If you Yanks keep changing the meaning and spelling of words then that's your look out :p

LOL, I know what it means in boxing, but in general it refers to lefties. I know baseball isn't your cup of tea, but a southpaw in baseball IS a lefty.
:)

PNutts
Oct 7, 2013, 09:52 PM
Notice who doesn't have an iPhone?

Cell-666
Oct 8, 2013, 01:12 AM
LOL, I know what it means in boxing, but in general it refers to lefties. I know baseball isn't your cup of tea, but a southpaw in baseball IS a lefty.
:)

But back in to a more serious left handed note, I don't think anyone really will have an issue either left right.

BUT DOWN WITH THE RIGHTIES, THE 10%'ers WILL PREVIAL :)

R.Stoychev
Oct 8, 2013, 01:55 AM
Im a lefty, no problems using ios 7 at all :p

derekgreer
Apr 19, 2014, 08:48 PM
I'm left handed and while I can reach it, it isn't a natural gesture and is a change from the push swipe gesture left handed people used to be able to do (thus a step backward). For all you left handed people saying it's not an issue, I would bet you'd change your mind if you did a side by side usability test. The reason Apple chose the swipe to the right gesture is because it does matter for the vast majority of users which are right handed. If I recall correctly, it used to swipe either way to delete. At minimum there should be a config setting for this.

CarlosQG
Apr 20, 2014, 11:19 PM
I actually think left hand use it's easier and better just for the swipe to go back feature alone.

chambone
Apr 21, 2014, 02:32 AM
There are more lefties here than I anticipated when I signed up. It's getting a little scary.

white4s
Apr 21, 2014, 10:01 AM
no issue here as well

rrares1996
Apr 21, 2014, 07:31 PM
"ios 7, not good if you're left handed", first world problem.

FelixDerKater
Apr 22, 2014, 12:00 AM
You may need to write with your left hand, but I am sure you do many more basic tasks with both hands.

Now, as you mention swiping from the right, you can do that from an point on the screen. You don't have to place your finger all the way on the right of the screen.

E2EK1EL
Apr 22, 2014, 12:03 AM
Notice who doesn't have an iPhone?

A better ver

FriednTested
Apr 22, 2014, 12:28 PM

Although I am right handed I predominantly use my left hand for using the phone (a problem with my right thumb forces me) and I do not have any issues either... Been using it for almost a year now... Since beta1...

takeshi74
Apr 22, 2014, 12:38 PM
For all you left handed people saying it's not an issue, I would bet you'd change your mind if you did a side by side usability test.
Even left handed people aren't all identical (hand size, finger length, dexterity, etc). I can swipe either way with no difficulty. YMMV.

jlover
Jul 11, 2014, 05:32 AM
I think all of you overlook some point -
1. For right handlers, they will hold the phone with left hand while do other work by their right hand. Same as left handlers will hold the phone on right hand.
2. I am in Asia there we have smaller hand size.

That is why I'm in trouble with my 5c now. Pls see it is serious issue at another side of the world.