PDA

View Full Version : help with my Powerbook

thumper
Nov 3, 2005, 09:06 PM
i got the 17" 1.33G4 Powerbook and want to buy some more ram...

i phoned the apple store and the ram they have is VERY expensive!!!
yet the ram and all the other computer stores are like $30-50 cheaper!!!

Does it really matter what kinda ram i put in my powerbook???
does my powerbook need a special kind of ram that just happends to cost more??? and how do i find our what kinda ram i need?

:D thanks

Melkor
Nov 3, 2005, 09:11 PM
Seen as you started a PB RAM question thread, i thought id ask a question that's been on my mind (sorry to post and not know the answer to you question, but i thought this would be better than staring a new thread).

Anyway, does anyone know if the ram that comes with PB's will be compatible with the future PB's with intel chips? And is all apple ram compatible reguardless of what mac it's on?

Cheers

pdpfilms
Nov 3, 2005, 10:01 PM
Anyway, does anyone know if the ram that comes with PB's will be compatible with the future PB's with intel chips? And is all apple ram compatible reguardless of what mac it's on?

Cheers

This RAM should be fully compatible with future powerbooks. However, this RAM is different from the RAM used in desktops, and is incompatible.

rickvanr
Nov 3, 2005, 10:22 PM
There is nothing special about Apple RAM, it is no different then any other brand.. albeit it is high quality. So when buying 3rd party, just don't buy the bargain brand RAM and you'll be fine. Get RAM that has a lifetime warranty. If it doesn't work, take it back. Simple. I've bought RAM for many Apple's and never purchased "made for Apple" RAM, or "certified to work in an Apple" RAM and I haven't had one single problem. If you the specs match and you buy quality RAM you'll be fine.

Current PB's RAM will only be compatible if the Intel books use the same kind of RAM. ie. SODIMM DDR2 in new PBs, and SODIMM DDR2 in Intel books and you'll be fine.

Edit:: CanadaRAM is the resident RAM buff. Shoot him a PM

CanadaRAM
Nov 3, 2005, 10:33 PM
This RAM should be fully compatible with future powerbooks. However, this RAM is different from the RAM used in desktops, and is incompatible.

The latest G4 Powerbooks already use DDR-2 533MHz RAM which is different from the DDR PC3200 in the <Oct 19 2005 Powerbooks. There isn't a hope in #=!! that the Intel Powerbooks will go back to older DDR. It may be reasonable to guess that Intel powerbooks will use DDR-2 RAM, but nobody can guarantee that it will be today's 533 MHz speed. In fact, you would hope that the RAM manufacturers will solve the high latency of existing DDR-2 modules, and that future machines will run 667 MHz at CAS Latency 3. If that comes to pass, then even this month's Powerbook RAM will not be usable in new Powerbooks.

CanadaRAM
Nov 3, 2005, 10:39 PM
i got the 17" 1.33G4 Powerbook and want to buy some more ram...
The 17" 1.33 (along with the other first generation Aluminum Powerbooks, the 17" 1.0 and the 15" 1.0 and 1.25) is the most finicky Powerbook made. It needs to have the RAM conform very tightly to the correct SPD values -- and much if not most PC generic RAM does not. A module that will work in a 1.5 GHz Powerbook often will fail in a 1st generation AlBook, as will a good proportion of name brand RAM. Kingston KVR RAM doesn't work, and neither does the general purpose Crucial -- Crucial had to come out with a special module for these models.

The caveat "if the specs match" is a catch-22; you never get to see the specs (SPD values) that really matter for compatibility.

For this machine the safest bet is to stick to the Samsung SODIMMs available from reputable Mac memory vendors who test and guarantee compatibility. Some Nanya modules work as well, but the Siemens modules (which are a good choice for other Powerbooks) don't.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

thumper
Nov 4, 2005, 12:54 AM
haha., im always left confused and never end up gettin ram, lol:p

russed
Nov 4, 2005, 03:25 AM
wow! canadaRAM knows his ram!!!

Melkor
Nov 4, 2005, 05:16 AM
wow! canadaRAM knows his ram!!!

You can say that again! Thanks CanadaRam.