PDA

View Full Version : New Safari = Chrome

ddaniel
Jun 12, 2013, 09:33 AM
This is largely a vent, but does anyone else think the new Safari is a poorly done copy of the iOS Chrome app?

I say poorly done, because in landscape mode the 'fullscreen' functionality actually takes up more screen real estate than the previous versions of safari - it makes pages very frustrating to use.

Is it really necessary to have the web address constantly on display?

Michael Goff
Jun 12, 2013, 10:14 AM
No.

Have you used the actual mobile Chrome? It's horrid.

zbarvian
Jun 12, 2013, 10:23 AM
The interface and UX is strikingly similar, yes. That being said, though, iOS 7 is for the most part highly derivative.

acctman
Jun 12, 2013, 10:42 AM
what are you guys looking at Safari does not look like Chrome. I don't understand 90% of the compliant on iOS7. They're all laughable especially if you think these two browsers look that same. The UX are completely different iOS7 is flat chrome is clearly not

ddaniel
Jun 12, 2013, 10:57 AM
The usability of Safari is better than Chrome, but they pretty obvious Apple took some things directly from it (The vanishing border & way of viewing / managing different windows mainly)

My main gripe with the new Safari is that the new 'full-screen' isn't actually full-screen. For whatever reason, Apple feels it's necessary to have the current web address constantly on display. This isn't really an issue in portrait mode, but in landscape it's very annoying. The previous Safari allowed true full-screen.

When you're working with such a small screen, every little bit counts.

zbarvian
Jun 12, 2013, 11:07 AM
Visuals and UX are not the same. They are very similar, though they don't have the same visual style. The whole psuedo-full-screen effect started on Chrome, the vertical tab interface with gesture closing started on chrome, the omnibar started on chrome, but I'd say Chrome still wins because it only has one navigation bar.

bitsoda
Jun 14, 2013, 03:08 AM
No.

Have you used the actual mobile Chrome? It's horrid.

How so? Chrome for iOS is a lifesaver for me. Being able to quickly switch between open pages without having to tap a "show all windows" button by swiping from the edges saves a lot of time. Also, Chrome's new voice search blows Siri out of the water.

Dominicanyor
Jun 14, 2013, 03:16 AM
I don't see a differents at all.

joemeetsjane
Jun 14, 2013, 03:40 AM
same with how some folks think control center is aping android's.

"OMG! IT SWIPES A CERTAIN DIRECTION! PRESS A BUTTON TO INVOKE A FUNCTION! APPLE SUX! I'M GOING TO BURN SOME UNICORNS!"

AlbertEinstein
Jun 14, 2013, 04:15 AM
...and how is this a bad thing?

Dr. McKay
Jun 14, 2013, 04:50 AM
Slightly off topic : perhaps I missed this when going over the new features but is it now possible in iOS7 to change the default browser ?

syd430
Jun 14, 2013, 05:00 AM
The coverflow tab switcher needs to die in a fire.

MaC rA mE
Jun 14, 2013, 05:33 AM
what are you guys looking at Safari does not look like Chrome. I don't understand 90% of the compliant on iOS7. They're all laughable especially if you think these two browsers look that same. The UX are completely different iOS7 is flat chrome is clearly not

How'd you get that grey theme for mobile safari?

qtaran111
Jun 14, 2013, 05:46 AM
How'd you get that grey theme for mobile safari?

Private mode.

MonkeySee....
Jun 14, 2013, 05:49 AM
Slightly off topic : perhaps I missed this when going over the new features but is it now possible in iOS7 to change the default browser ?

Never. Going. To. Happen.

Dr. McKay
Jun 14, 2013, 06:00 AM
Never. Going. To. Happen.

Thought so... Well, I guess there's a big chance I'll be replacing my 4S with a Nexus 4 then.
What's keeping Apple from doing that on OS X as well ?

MonkeySee....
Jun 14, 2013, 06:17 AM
Thought so... Well, I guess there's a big chance I'll be replacing my 4S with a Nexus 4 then.
What's keeping Apple from doing that on OS X as well ?

Probably just trying to keep iOS uniform and easy to fix at their stores.

Dr. McKay
Jun 14, 2013, 08:04 AM
Probably just trying to keep iOS uniform and easy to fix at their stores.

In any case, I'm a Firefox man and being able to use FF on Android appeals to me...