PDA

View Full Version : Mavericks Mail.app + Gmail changes

robots3humans0
Jun 12, 2013, 10:27 AM
The archive button actually moves mail from the inbox to All Mail rather than creating it's own Archive label. It took me quite a long time this morning to figure out what was going on with my mail and where it was moving to. In previous versions, hitting the Archive button in Mail would create a new label called Archive to move mail into, making the user have to drag mail into the All Mail folder from the inbox in order to archive it. Now, the All Mail folder serves (as it should) as the Mail app's archive folder. Finally.

MLMcMillion
Jun 12, 2013, 10:31 AM
Thank god.

Lolito
Jun 12, 2013, 09:55 PM
Sparrow app rocks!! apple mail doesn't.

makotoisle
Jun 14, 2013, 04:22 PM
The archive button actually moves mail from the inbox to All Mail rather than creating it's own Archive label. It took me quite a long time this morning to figure out what was going on with my mail and where it was moving to. In previous versions, hitting the Archive button in Mail would create a new label called Archive to move mail into, making the user have to drag mail into the All Mail folder from the inbox in order to archive it. Now, the All Mail folder serves (as it should) as the Mail app's archive folder. Finally.

Mine doesn't seem to do this. When I choose archive, my mail is sent to the trash in both the Mail.app and on the Gmail website.

Actually, when I move mail from my inbox to "All Mail" manually, the same thing happens. This occurs on both my iMac and my Macbook Air (both from 2011).

Additionally, in Preferences under Mailbox Behaviors, the "Trash" options are both grayed out. Under advanced options, there are no longer options to not keep local copies of all emails; the only two options download all messages.

I've tried deleting and re-setting up my account as new, however, these problems still persists.

robots3humans0
Jun 14, 2013, 09:47 PM
Mine doesn't seem to do this. When I choose archive, my mail is sent to the trash in both the Mail.app and on the Gmail website.

Actually, when I move mail from my inbox to "All Mail" manually, the same thing happens. This occurs on both my iMac and my Macbook Air (both from 2011).

Additionally, in Preferences under Mailbox Behaviors, the "Trash" options are both grayed out. Under advanced options, there are no longer options to not keep local copies of all emails; the only two options download all messages.

I've tried deleting and re-setting up my account as new, however, these problems still persists.

Make sure that on the actual Gmail website under settings > forwarding and POP/IMAP that auto-expunge is set to on (which will also set the other IMAP option to default).

Edit: Just as I say that, I attempt to archive a message and Mail moves it somewhere other than All Mail and now it can't be found. Well.. back to AirMail for me. The latest beta fixes Mavericks incompatibilities.

makotoisle
Jun 16, 2013, 04:24 PM
Make sure that on the actual Gmail website under settings > forwarding and POP/IMAP that auto-expunge is set to on (which will also set the other IMAP option to default).

Edit: Just as I say that, I attempt to archive a message and Mail moves it somewhere other than All Mail and now it can't be found. Well.. back to AirMail for me. The latest beta fixes Mavericks incompatibilities.

Drat-- Yea, when I "Archive" it goes straight to the trash on both my mac on on the browser client.

Shrink
Jun 16, 2013, 04:28 PM
Sparrow app rocks!! apple mail doesn't.

Good to see that well reasoned, carefully explicated argument is not dead.:D

robots3humans0
Jun 16, 2013, 05:38 PM
Drat-- Yea, when I "Archive" it goes straight to the trash on both my mac on on the browser client.

Yeah, I'm not too sure why it worked for a few days there and then stopped. Odd. I recommend AirMail though - the betas are rock solid (and free!) and the main app is only $1.99. The latest betas work on 10.9 so no issues there.

The site: http://airmailapp.info

makotoisle
Jun 24, 2013, 11:50 PM
Yeah, I'm not too sure why it worked for a few days there and then stopped. Odd. I recommend AirMail though - the betas are rock solid (and free!) and the main app is only $1.99. The latest betas work on 10.9 so no issues there.

The site: http://airmailapp.info

Just an FYI, everything seems to work okay now with Beta 2. The options I mentioned above seem to stay checked no matter what I do, however, the menus in Mail sync perfectly with the corresponding ones in Gmail.

If I save a draft, it gets saved in Gmail. If I then send it in Gmail, it disappears from my Mac. Archive works, as does star tags. I think they fixed it :-)

picciano
Oct 9, 2013, 12:50 PM
I'm using the Mavericks GM and have found a workaround to get the desired behavior with Gmail.

Right-click the toolbar in Apple Mail and select "Customize Toolbar...". Then drag the "Archive" button to your toolbar. If you want, you can then remove the "Delete" button from the toolbar, but I left mine because I use other accounts beside Gmail.

newagemac
Oct 9, 2013, 02:16 PM
I'm using the Mavericks GM and have found a workaround to get the desired behavior with Gmail.

Right-click the toolbar in Apple Mail and select "Customize Toolbar...". Then drag the "Archive" button to your toolbar. If you want, you can then remove the "Delete" button from the toolbar, but I left mine because I use other accounts beside Gmail.

I don't think getting an "Archive" button is the problem. You could do that in Mail with Mountain Lion. The question is after you click the Archive button, does the Gmail message go to the "All Mail" label PLUS get removed from the Inbox? Because that is the way gmail is supposed to work.

And gmail will always be a little awkward to use in Mail.app until this is fixed. It's not really Apple's fault though. Gmail is using a proprietary, nonstandard implementation of IMAP which is causing all the problems and the reason I switched away from it.

So have you tried Mavericks and does it now work the way it is supposed to as I outlined above?

Jeremesk
Oct 10, 2013, 12:33 AM
Adding an Archive button in the toolbar worked for me. And I can confirm that mails do go to All Mail and the Inbox label is removed.

BUT I have a problem when I use my iPhone to read my mails and archive it. Mail.app on the Mac doesn't sync well with gmail : mails stay in the inbox and I have to use the archive button again so they are moved to All Mail on the mac too.

BTW, only the mac is not up to date when i use my iPhone. The Gmail website is fine.

Dorv
Oct 10, 2013, 02:48 PM
Something odd for me is that my iPhone or the Mail.App seems to be moving some emails to Archive - "Mail Account" (All Mail). This is keeping rules that run based on account from running for me.

Not sure why ...

(I don't purposely archive or delete anything, FWIW).

Ledgem
Oct 23, 2013, 10:35 AM
Something odd for me is that my iPhone or the Mail.App seems to be moving some emails to Archive - "Mail Account" (All Mail). This is keeping rules that run based on account from running for me.

Not sure why ...
I just upgraded to Mavericks last night and noted the same behavior. Is there a solution to this? It's as if many of my new emails are being shuffled into the archive before I can even read them.

Weaselboy
Oct 23, 2013, 02:19 PM
I just upgraded to Mavericks last night and noted the same behavior. Is there a solution to this? It's as if many of my new emails are being shuffled into the archive before I can even read them.

Do you have the settings at Gmail.com set so that the All Mail folder shows in IMAP? You need to have this showing in Mavs Mail now as Mail changed the way it works form Gmail IMAP. Give this (https://tidbits.com/article/14219) a read.

Ledgem
Oct 23, 2013, 02:29 PM
Do you have the settings at Gmail.com set so that the All Mail folder shows in IMAP? You need to have this showing in Mavs Mail now as Mail changed the way it works form Gmail IMAP. Give this (https://tidbits.com/article/14219) a read.
Thanks for the reply. I had read over that website before replying and was interested in that suggestion; I checked my Gmail accounts and it is on (which is the default; I never adjusted it).

It's not totally clear to me what's going on. It occasionally seems to work properly, but other times, it doesn't. I don't have enough observations to say for certain what it is, but here's another potential guess. I had a "smart mailbox" set up that would only display what was unread (conditions: message is unread, and message is in mailbox "inbox"). Normally my view was parked on that smart mailbox, but it seemed to be having a lot of problems. I've been keeping my view on the regular "Inbox" and things seem to be operating smoothly now, although I haven't received many emails this afternoon (and I'm not up to spamming myself just to test - not desperate enough for that, yet :) ).

Weaselboy
Oct 23, 2013, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. I had read over that website before replying and was interested in that suggestion; I checked my Gmail accounts and it is on (which is the default; I never adjusted it).

It's not totally clear to me what's going on. It occasionally seems to work properly, but other times, it doesn't. I don't have enough observations to say for certain what it is, but here's another potential guess. I had a "smart mailbox" set up that would only display what was unread (conditions: message is unread, and message is in mailbox "inbox"). Normally my view was parked on that smart mailbox, but it seemed to be having a lot of problems. I've been keeping my view on the regular "Inbox" and things seem to be operating smoothly now, although I haven't received many emails this afternoon (and I'm not up to spamming myself just to test - not desperate enough for that, yet :) ).

I bet the way they are using those XML tags to move messages around now for Gmail is wreaking havoc with your smart mailbox.

Ledgem
Oct 23, 2013, 02:55 PM
I bet the way they are using those XML tags to move messages around now for Gmail is wreaking havoc with your smart mailbox.
Very likely. My problem wasn't just with the smart mailbox, though, as it seems like mail was actually getting moved around. I was actually getting two notifications per email address - one would indicate that the message had arrived, and then a second would appear indicating that it had arrived - but would say that it was in the "archive" (which I was previously not using, and which didn't exist in my Mail pre-OS X 10.9). Being in the Archive instead of the Inbox is probably what was messing up the smart mailbox.

The big puzzle relates to what I wrote in my previous post: that keeping the view on the Inbox view seems to be keeping messages there. They appear there, and I only get one notification. I don't know if Apple is shuffling them from the Inbox to the Archive and then back, or... something else.

I'll keep an eye on it, and if I can pin it down to anything in particular I'll report back.

TheQL
Oct 23, 2013, 04:55 PM
I'd rather keep the old behavior. "All Mail" is just too much, I want my sent mail separate from my archived received mail. Couldn't figure out how to do that with Mavericks. Also I am missing the option to disable "Keep copies of messages for offline viewing". Is there a way to set that?

zub3qin
Oct 23, 2013, 06:55 PM
To all having problems with GMAIL / Mavericks compatibility, rather than complain here, let's send a complaint to APPLE

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Ledgem
Oct 24, 2013, 09:53 AM
I can't explain why, but the behavior seems to be working as expected now. Even my Smart Mailbox is working properly, and new emails aren't being shunted to the Archive first. I haven't made any adjustments. Since Apple doesn't do background updates (or I should say, I have that feature disabled), my only guess is that Google might have changed something on their end.

This pretty much resolves my issue.

I also thought that I had lost the ability to see my spam folders, but I see that Apple has simply shuffled their location in Mail. Instead of appearing as IMAP folders underneath their respective accounts, they now show up in "Junk."

Edit: Mail also appears to be a bit weird at times, as the message counts don't always match up and respond to your actions. For example, I received 50 messages, some of which were grouped in conversations. I quickly deleted messages until I had about ten left; Mail kept up at first, but then began to go out of synch with me. For a while it indicated that I had somewhere between 20-30 unread messages, even though I was down to less than ten messages. After about a minute the counts continued to adjust until they represented what I was seeing.

The "activity" pane of Mail was blank during this process, but it seems as if Mail's counts were derived from Google's servers rather than what was in the program itself. That's the only possible explanation that I can think of to explain the delays. I'm using a SSD and wasn't straining it, so unless Mail's new database techniques are incredibly inefficient, synchronizing with an internet server (over my crummy DSL connection) seems more likely.

Weaselboy
Oct 24, 2013, 10:07 AM
I can't explain why, but the behavior seems to be working as expected now. Even my Smart Mailbox is working properly, and new emails aren't being shunted to the Archive first. I haven't made any adjustments. Since Apple doesn't do background updates (or I should say, I have that feature disabled), my only guess is that Google might have changed something on their end.

This pretty much resolves my issue.

I also thought that I had lost the ability to see my spam folders, but I see that Apple has simply shuffled their location in Mail. Instead of appearing as IMAP folders underneath their respective accounts, they now show up in "Junk."

In that article we were discussing the author mentioned his system took a day for Mail to reindex all those Gmail messages before this started working properly. I wonder if that is what happened with yours.

Ledgem
Oct 24, 2013, 10:20 AM
In that article we were discussing the author mentioned his system took a day for Mail to reindex all those Gmail messages before this started working properly. I wonder if that is what happened with yours.
It's quite possible. I didn't notice an unusual amount of CPU, RAM, or disk utilization, so I assumed that the reindexing had finished during the first few hours of Mavericks usage (when the entire system was slightly sluggish in certain aspects, and when background resource utilization was fairly heavy).

It's a relief to have it working properly, though. I was afraid I'd be stuck doing email from my iPad until 10.9.1!

Le Big Mac
Oct 24, 2013, 12:47 PM

Before I upgrade to Mavericks, I'm hoping someone can help me.

Like many, I have gmail configured to hide all mail in IMAP, stemming from pre-Leopard days. It works well, and I have no desire to archive emails - they're in the inbox, a folder or folders, or go to the trash for deletion. Happy with that approach.

In trying to understand the Mavericks issue, it appears to me that Mail in Mountain Lion already had addressed the funky IMAP style of gmail and had provided options to get your Mail app to act a lot like online gmail - i.e., trash meant trash, archive meant archive (not inbox, but retained in all mail).

Is that correct? If it is correct, other than bugginess, how is Mavericks different other than it no longer works with all mail hidden?

Or am I wrong?

If so, is there a way to configure things to get the behavior I've described above? Nothing against how others use it, but I have no use for a catch-all archive. Either I save it in a folder or inbox or delete it.

Weaselboy
Oct 24, 2013, 12:55 PM
Is that correct? If it is correct, other than bugginess, how is Mavericks different other than it no longer works with all mail hidden?

From what that article I linked says, you are going to need to turn on All Mail for Mavs Mail to work properly.

jeitires
Oct 24, 2013, 03:20 PM
In my case everything is syncing well and the buttons are working. My problem is that I can't change the mailbox behaviors. Every time I change a setting, it goes back to it's previous value after saving.

Does anybody have the same problem?

I don't want my drafts to be stored on the server, since I don't want my messages to be synced with Google and their NSA friends even before I finish writing the message. If they're going to have them, at least they can have only the final version.

blujein
Oct 24, 2013, 03:52 PM
This is going to be a huge problem for me if a solution isn't found or implemented. Apple Mail had enough problems before this, but this is ridiculous.

Ledgem
Oct 25, 2013, 08:00 AM
Mail is behaving properly overall, but after a day of having all of my mail properly identified as belonging to the "Inbox" of my Gmail accounts, now I'm having messages showing up in the "Archive (All Mail)" again. Unlike before, it's working properly with my "smart mailbox" settings and still shows up in the Inbox of the corresponding account.

I don't understand why it's happening, though. Worse, it seems to be totally random. I received three emails this morning that are tagged as being in the Archive (All Mail), and about an hour later I received an email to the same account that is identified as being in the Inbox. Restarting Mail without reading any of the messages resulted in that last message being identified as being in the Archive (All Mail). I logged into my Gmail account through the web browser to see what it looks like from Google's end and all of the messages appear in the Inbox of the web applet; I don't have to go to the All Mail folder to see them.

The earlier behavior of Archive (All Mail) messages not showing up in my "smart mailbox" may be due to Mail being bogged down with initial synchronization, as Weaselboy suggested. What isn't clear to me is why Mail is identifying messages as belonging to the Archive (All Mail) folder when Gmail itself seems to be sorting them to the Inbox. It's probably something on the back end... I don't see how this behavior is more beneficial to users than how it was in OS X 10.8 and earlier.

Edit: Immediately after posting this I received OS X notifications for new mail for the messages that I had received earlier this morning (which are still unread); Mail is now identifying all of them as belonging to the Inbox (and not Archive (All Mail)). Either Mail is doing some very bizarre things or Google is tinkering on their end and Mail is just receiving the downstream results.

Shhmmooove
Oct 25, 2013, 08:48 AM
I'm having trouble with Mail checking for new messages - I have Outlook running on a PC and this updates almost real-time, and my phone alerts me pretty quickly as well, but Mail doesn't even check when I hit the Get New Messages icon, and when it does pull new messages down, it is long after the messages were sent and hit the Gmail Inbox.

Hating this! :mad:

stisdal
Oct 25, 2013, 09:14 AM
I have always used the stock mail app, but have been thinking to get away from Gmail for some time now due to many reasons. (push, privacy, on & on)

This may be the final straw for me. Yes I know that some blame Apple, but it is also well documented that Google does not follow typical imap protocols... Not going to get in to that argument.

Any recommendations for a good email provider with good spam filtering? I already have Outlook.com, and of course my me.com address though I'm not so sure that iCloud filters spam as well as others. Just looking for other members input on what works well.

Thanks...

newagemac
Oct 25, 2013, 10:28 AM
I'm not sure why people are still putting up with Gmail and their proprietary, unorthodox implementation of IMAP. All of your problems are due to using Gmail. I was an early adopter of Gmail with my main account having been started back in 2004 when it first was available only through invitational Beta. But the IMAP implementation along with the increasing interface bloat and poor design made me cut the cord recently. And once I finally broke away from Google's walled garden, I was in tech heaven using my Macs and iPhones. iCloud works great for calendars and contacts and email.

The only downside with iCloud email was that you couldn't use your own personal domain. For a long time, that was the only reason we stuck with Gmail through Google Apps. But then they dropped Exchange and dropped the free Apps accounts.

The solution? Outlook.com

Outlook.com recently added IMAP and with that simple addition, you can now have your own personal domain and use it with IMAP on your Mac and all for free. And instead of the weird IMAP implementation and lack of real folders causing headaches when using Mail, Outlook.com actually works perfect with Mail.app with virtually no hassle or setup required and it has both real folders and categories (like Gmail labels) if you really need to use them. Plus on your iDevices it support Exchange ActiveSync for free push email.

There really is no point in using Gmail on a Mac anymore unless you just want to deal with all of its idiosyncricies and syncing issues in Mail because of its non-standard approach. I absolutely love the Mail.app. It works great with my iCloud, Outlook.com email, 2 more IMAP email accounts, and 1 Exchange account I use. Gmail is just a massive headache and is the only oddball.

Trust me on this. Cut the Gmail umbilical cord.

Just. Let. It. Go.

Le Big Mac
Oct 25, 2013, 10:32 AM

Outlook.com recently added IMAP and with that simple addition, you can now have your own personal domain and use it with IMAP on your Mac and all for free. And instead of the weird IMAP implementation and lack of real folders causing headaches when using Mail, Outlook.com actually works perfect with Mail.app with virtually no hassle or setup required and it has both real folders and categories (like Gmail labels) if you really need to use them. Plus on your iDevices it support Exchange ActiveSync for free push email.]

This is really helpful. Outlook.com was lacking IMAP until recently, and I wasn't sure that one could use your own domain (lebigmac.com). Those are two key features that have me using gmail instead of icloud or other services (aol, yahoo, etc.).

2 questions:
1) How does outlook calendars integrate with google calendars?
2) Does it integrate well with Outlook for Mac? (I actually preferred entourage except that it doesn't play well with iPhones)

newagemac
Oct 25, 2013, 10:37 AM
Also might add that if you want full Exchange email instead of IMAP for your personal domain, you can also get the Exchange Online service they offer. It's $4 a month by itself or you can get it included with Office 365.

We trialled Office365 for a bit but ultimately decided not to go with it for now. But in the meantime, Exchange Online for our main domain and the free Outlook.com for our other domains has been working out great. That plus the new iWork apps with full feature parity between native Mac, native iOS, and web versions was all we needed to finally drop all of Google's services. We're basically all Apple now and everything finally just works.

bwat47
Oct 25, 2013, 10:38 AM
I tried outlook.com IMAP with apple mail recently, and I must say my experience was not as good as newegemac's. It worked horribly for me. Very basic things did not work reliably, such as moving mail between folders. It would occasionally actually move it, other times it would spit out some random error about something not able to be read from [insert microsoft server here], other times it would just appear to do nothing at all. It seems like their IMAP support is still very much in its infancy, at least that was my experience. I also had a problem where new messages wouldn't appear in my inbox until I switched to another folder and then back to inbox. I had similar issues with all folders, if I moved something to another folder and then switched to that folder, it wouldn't appear until I fully synchronized the account and then switched back to the folder and other such gymnastics (if it even decided to move the message at all, as I mentioned above a lot of times it just wouldn't work). Downloading mail to my inbox and deleting mail to trash were the only things that worked, folders were giving me nothing but trouble for some reason. I don't know why I had so many issues with it when everyone else reports it works fine :( I guess it just hates me lol.

I recently started trying out fastmail's 2 month trial, and its IMAP support is flawless and totally standard/vanilla. Everything works perfectly with apple mail for me with this service with absolutely no tweaking or workarounds required, even the archive button. I'm really happy with it so far, I've set it up in mail.app on my macbook, on my android phone's mail app and in em client on my windows machine, works great on all of them. It actually has a pretty nice, clean web interface too. downside is they don't offer any calendar service, and only has contacts sync via LDAP (which is read only).

edit: but apparently they are working on Carddav contacts support and Caldav calendar, so this could be an excellent all-around solution once they implement that!: https://twitter.com/FastMailFM/status/393138107505070080

Anyway, I definitely agree with newagemac about cutting gmail either way. If you use 100% webmail gmail is excellent, but for anything else its disappointing and a PIA. I recommend anyone try outlook.com themselves first, since I seem to be the only one that had a lot of issues with it, but fastmail is another excellent alternative if you want quality IMAP access that works reliably with any standards compliant IMAP client (although it is a paid service, but 39 dollars a year for the enhanced plan isn't that bad and there's a free trial).

stisdal
Oct 25, 2013, 10:52 AM
There really is no point in using Gmail on a Mac anymore unless you just want to deal with all of its idiosyncricies and syncing issues in Mail because of its non-standard approach. I absolutely love the Mail.app. It works great with my iCloud, Outlook.com email, 2 more IMAP email accounts, and 1 Exchange account I use. Gmail is just a massive headache and is the only oddball.

Just. Let. It. Go.

I absolutely agree with this. Yes, I have used Gmail for many years, but it is time to quit using work arounds and blindly being a sheep to Google.

I now use Outlook for mail, and my iCloud for notes, calendars, contacts and such.

EDIT: It appears now that Outlook doesn't delete a message from the server if you delete it from the OSX Mail app. This means it doesn't delete it from my i devices... Not happy.

Still looking for a good alternative or solution...

newagemac
Oct 25, 2013, 10:55 AM
This is really helpful. Outlook.com was lacking IMAP until recently, and I wasn't sure that one could use your own domain (lebigmac.com). Those are two key features that have me using gmail instead of icloud or other services (aol, yahoo, etc.).

2 questions:
1) How does outlook calendars integrate with google calendars?
2) Does it integrate well with Outlook for Mac? (I actually preferred entourage except that it doesn't play well with iPhones)

We only use Outlook for the email. We use iCloud for contacts and calendars. You don't really get the full benefits until you do the full iCloud integration.

I haven't tried it with Outlook for Mac. We got fed up with trying to integrate these other services to work well with Macs and Microsoft's lackluster efforts on native Mac applications got the chopping block. Apple has moved to yearly upgrades and there are some really beneficial things happening under the hood that requires developers to be in tune with Mac specific coding and the directions Apple is heading.

So nowadays, if you aren't specifically a Mac developer and/or at least put your stuff on the Mac App Store you are in danger of being removed from my Mac and replaced with someone who does pass those tests. Google's insistence on using web apps for everything (and all the performance/productivity hits that come with that) is why we dropped them completely.

steve-p
Oct 25, 2013, 11:16 AM
I'm not sure why people are still putting up with Gmail and their proprietary, unorthodox implementation of IMAP. All of your problems are due to using Gmail. I was an early adopter of Gmail with my main account having been started back in 2004 when it first was available only through invitational Beta. But the IMAP implementation along with the increasing interface bloat and poor design made me cut the cord recently. And once I finally broke away from Google's walled garden, I was in tech heaven using my Macs and iPhones. iCloud works great for calendars and contacts and email.

The only downside with iCloud email was that you couldn't use your own personal domain. For a long time, that was the only reason we stuck with Gmail through Google Apps. But then they dropped Exchange and dropped the free Apps accounts.

Outlook.com recently added IMAP and with that simple addition, you can now have your own personal domain and use it with IMAP on your Mac and all for free. And instead of the weird IMAP implementation and lack of real folders causing headaches when using Mail, Outlook.com actually works perfect with Mail.app with virtually no hassle or setup required and it has both real folders and categories (like Gmail labels) if you really need to use them. Plus on your iDevices it support Exchange ActiveSync for free push email.

Just. Let. It. Go.

I must say, I am definitely considering this now. I've been using GMail since it was in beta but my opinion of Google was not quite so negative in those days. I'm not thrilled about using a Microsoft product either, but I did register my preferred email address with Outlook.com the day it launched, just to keep my options open. However the sticking point with other email services has always been that I use my own domain for 99% of email. I didn't realise you could do that with Outlook.com now, which is really interesting.

So how smooth is the transition? You can import all your email from GMail, right? Does it maintain the same folder structure? And how's the web interface, as I use the GMail one a lot at work, and would need to do the same with outlook.

ghsNick
Oct 25, 2013, 11:40 AM
I accidentally messed with these settings and I'm trying to see if I set everything back to normal.

Does this look right? Especially the first unchecked box under Responding.

dylanlive
Oct 25, 2013, 12:02 PM

Thanks for this tip!

Does anyone have any idea if we can map the Delete Key to archive instead of delete? Clicking the archive button is going to get really annoying.

Hookemfins
Oct 25, 2013, 04:24 PM
I have not experienced the known issues reported between Gmail and Apple Mail.

Mail deletes and doesn't reappear. I also haven't experienced the mapping issues. I do not have all mail enabled.

picciano
Oct 26, 2013, 08:57 AM
I don't think getting an "Archive" button is the problem. You could do that in Mail with Mountain Lion. The question is after you click the Archive button, does the Gmail message go to the "All Mail" label PLUS get removed from the Inbox? Because that is the way gmail is supposed to work.

And gmail will always be a little awkward to use in Mail.app until this is fixed. It's not really Apple's fault though. Gmail is using a proprietary, nonstandard implementation of IMAP which is causing all the problems and the reason I switched away from it.

So have you tried Mavericks and does it now work the way it is supposed to as I outlined above?

Yes. Exactly like that.

blujein
Oct 27, 2013, 05:54 PM
Has anyone been able to find a way to correct this yet?

Azathoth
Oct 27, 2013, 05:59 PM
In my case everything is syncing well and the buttons are working. My problem is that I can't change the mailbox behaviors. Every time I change a setting, it goes back to it's previous value after saving.

Does anybody have the same problem?

Yes, huge problem for me - my android phone now has 20-30 drafts in each conversation every time I write a reply on Mail.app - nightmare to try and remove these have finished emails from my phone (have to edit, remove, confirm each one).

newagemac
Oct 27, 2013, 06:57 PM
Has anyone been able to find a way to correct this yet?

Correct what?

blujein
Oct 27, 2013, 07:33 PM
Correct what?
Sorry, I wasn't particularly clear.

Has anyone found a way to rectify some of the issues with Apple Mail and Gmail? I understand that enabling "All Mail" visibility within Gmail's IMAP settings helps, but the issue I have now is that e-mail messages are either being copied when moved to different folders or are moving back to the "All Mail" folder within movements of originally moving them.

Also, the "All Mail" folder within Apple Mail shows the notification 'bubble' for new messages, but the "Inbox" folder does not.

IzzyJG99
Oct 27, 2013, 07:36 PM
I enjoyed Gmail and Apple Mail early on. Then when the IMAP issues arose where EVERYTHING within the Gmail browser version (All the folders, tags..etc) replicated themselves and constantly duplicated within Mail.app....I was able to use an old Time Machine backup from 10.5 that kept Mail.app the old way. When I upgraded to 10.9 I said "Hey. Why not. I'll try it their way. Maybe it's fixed."

It's fixed. At least for me. I have two Gmail inboxes. I get mail. I can send mail. The mail I send and receive is stored within the Gmail browser version in "All Mail."

Works for me.

MBHockey
Oct 27, 2013, 07:38 PM
Why does anyone use Mail.app for Gmail?

Sparrow's newer and better replacement is here:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airmail/id573171375?mt=12

This one even has Exchange support!

blujein
Oct 28, 2013, 03:56 PM
It seems that Apple Mail has two issues with my system.

Firstly, now that the "All Mail" folder appears in the navigation panel, it shows the notification 'bubble' with the total number of new/unread e-mail messages, while the "Inbox" folder does not.

Secondly, when I receive and move to another folder an e-mail message I receive on my Apple iPad or Apple iPhone, the change is not updated with Apple Mail, which leaves the e-mail message in the "Inbox" folder.

Does anyone know how I can fix these issues?

kaibob
Oct 30, 2013, 09:00 PM
Like some other gmail users, when I move an email with the mail app from the inbox to another folder (label), the moved email reappears in the inbox. I spent an hour or more searching for and testing various solutions and settings but nothing helped. There is a workaround, which is to move the email from the inbox to the trash and then from the trash to the destination folder, but that gets pretty annoying. I also purchased airmail which does not have this problem, but I didn't care for the app (too complicated for my needs). I suspect we just wait for a fix from google or apple.

blujein
Nov 10, 2013, 03:55 PM
Since the update release for Apple Mail does anyone know whether the 'Show in IMAP' option needs to be selected for Gmail's 'All Mail' system label?