PDA

View Full Version : Chrome VS New Safari (Battery Life)

oatman13
Jun 12, 2013, 10:35 AM
Anybody else having battery issues with Chrome? Since the upgrade Chrome is killing battery life and switching my retina into using the discrete graphics processor. However with Safari my battery usage is minimal which is absolutely awesome. It wasn't this way with 10.8.4. So I'm super excited for Safari; little depressed about Chrome.

baller1308
Jun 12, 2013, 10:38 AM
Um, the developer preview was recently released. Give Google some time, I'm sure they'll make refinements. But for now I guess you should continue to use Safari.

Michael Goff
Jun 12, 2013, 10:40 AM
Um, the developer preview was recently released. Give Google some time, I'm sure they'll make refinements. But for now I guess you should continue to use Safari.

No really, Chrome has always been crap in terms of power used.

It just isn't their focus.

baller1308
Jun 12, 2013, 11:18 AM
No really, Chrome has always been crap in terms of power used.

It just isn't their focus.
Really?! I've never had any issues with Chrome. Then again I have ads blocked and disabled multiple plugins.

Michael Goff
Jun 12, 2013, 11:40 AM
Really?! I've never had any issues with Chrome. Then again I have ads blocked and disabled multiple plugins.

Really.

Chrome takes more power than just about any other browser, it always has. It comes from the way that Chrome does different tabs.

xchaotic
Oct 22, 2013, 07:31 PM
Can anyone report their observations?
I'd much rather carry on using Chrome but if it saves batter, I can switch to Safari...

bwat47
Oct 22, 2013, 07:34 PM
both chrome and firefox use more energy than safari for me on my 2013 MBA. Chrome in particular is a huge hog in this area.

gorskiegangsta
Oct 22, 2013, 07:42 PM
Really.

Chrome takes more power than just about any other browser, it always has. It comes from the way that Chrome does different tabs.

Not in my experience. In fact, from Safari 5.0 up until Safari 6, Chrome was the "lightest" browser, Firefox being the worst, on OS X. Starting from Safari 6, both Safari and Chrome were nearly equivalent, on Mountain Lion at least. Currently, in Mavericks, Safari is way better in resource management. We'll see if Google can optimize Chrome for Mvks in future updates.

pencilcheck
Oct 22, 2013, 08:03 PM
Safari 7 on Mavericks seems to implement a similar process based architecture as seen on Chrome that's why the snappiness and the speed boost.

smileman
Oct 23, 2013, 04:47 AM
I'd much rather carry on using Chrome but if it saves batter, I can switch to Safari...

ditto

laserbeam273
Oct 23, 2013, 06:17 AM

Some proper benchmarks:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/14/safari-70-streamlined-and-accelerated-for-os-x-mavericks

Pretty impressive, I'm back on Safari now.

smileman
Oct 25, 2013, 04:42 AM

Safari is saving a lot of battery for me and I'm only using Chrome now for things I can't do with Safari (i.e., Chromecast, make Google Voice calls from gmail).

I'm possibly seeing as much as 40-50% more battery on Safari, if the Air's time remaining figures are to be believed.

The only two downsides are I've already noticed problems with Windows iCloud 3.0 bookmark sync between Safari and my Chrome Windows browser. I saw duplicates this morning in Safari. Hopefully this will get cleared up as this will be a major annoyance and may lead me to have to rethink the Safari/Chrome combo.

Also, why won't safari let you not enter text for bookmarks? I love having just the favicon in Chrome, no text. On Safari that leaves me with an obnoxious 'NO_TITLE' next to every favicon.

brdeveloper
Oct 29, 2013, 08:55 AM
I usually used Chrome for everyday browsing and Firefox for web development (Firebug is the best DOM/Ajax debugger to me). In Mavericks, on the other hand, Safari looks fast and lightweight... maybe it's the end of Chrome reign.

adamjon858
Nov 6, 2013, 05:09 PM
I usually used Chrome for everyday browsing and Firefox for web development (Firebug is the best DOM/Ajax debugger to me). In Mavericks, on the other hand, Safari looks fast and lightweight... maybe it's the end of Chrome reign.

Firebug is so 2009. It's buggy and slow now. Chrome developer tools outshine them in every area. The new Firefox dev tools are pretty good too!