Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
So after installing iOS 7 and playing around with it, I noticed that the battery was draining slightly faster than usual. What became apparent was that I saw the location icon on the top right (next to the battery) a lot more often than I did on iOS 6. And as we all know, GPS (or any location service) drains your battery like crazy. So I found what caused it for me on my iPhone 5.

First, if you haven't turned on the Status Bar Icon, go to:

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System services

And switch on the Status Bar Icon (it's located at the very bottom).

Now on the same screen disable anything you don't need. This is how it looks for me:

20130612t1742430.png

On this screen there are two new options in comparison to iOS 6: Wi-Fi Networking and Frequent Locations. Especially Wi-Fi Networking seems to check for your location very often. I turned off both new options.

One other app that seems to check your location a lot is the new Weather app. So if you go to:

Settings > Privacy > Location Services

Just turn Weather off.

Of course all the other known ways like turning off 3G/LTE when you are on Wi-Fi, turning off Bluetooth, turning off push for email addresses that don't need it, etc, will always help a lot.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Yeah, it's so essential that you keep checking my time zone and location for weather multiple times an hour, since I frequently use a transporter.

Thanks, Apple. :)

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Also, this is the first beta so battery optimization probably isn't high on the priority list yet.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Also, this is the first beta so battery optimization probably isn't high on the priority list yet.

We know that, he's just offering ways to improve it a little in the meantime.

I wasn't complaining about the bad battery life, but do things like weather and time zones really need to turn on my GPS that often? :eek:

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
It was burning about 40% battery life with just about 1h 52minutes of usage! That's with the brightness at half!

I did the following and it completely saved my battery resources:

* Disable SIRI completely
* Disable parallax gimmick
* Disable passbook location service
* Disable SIRI location services
* Disable Background App Refresh
* Disable Auto update for apps (optional)
* everything else in OP first post

There is a bug in the SIRI settings - you can't enable/disable the button doesn't reflect the true status of SIRI. When you turn it ON, it doesn't update to show it's on until you close off settings and re-enter it. iOS 7 is definitely beta needs a ton of work!

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
We know that, he's just offering ways to improve it a little in the meantime.

I wasn't complaining about the bad battery life, but do things like weather and time zones really need to turn on my GPS that often? :eek:

Very true, but I can't help that someone will come here saying "wahhh wahhh iOS 7 battery is the sux!!!!!!1111" and trying to curb it a little :)

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Very true, but I can't help that someone will come here saying "wahhh wahhh iOS 7 battery is the sux!!!!!!1111" and trying to curb it a little :)

I know, there are plenty of those posts already.

I went into it fully expecting about HALF my normal battery life based on installing previous betas. This one is actually pretty decent.

I'm just plugging it in whenever I'm sitting still or in the car, and it's totally fine.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
First, if you haven't turned on the Status Bar Icon, go to:

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System services

And switch on the Status Bar Icon (it's located at the very bottom).

Now on the same screen disable anything you don't need. This is how it looks for me:

Brilliant. But - what I've always wondered is; what do these things that we turn off actually do?!

Diag&Usage, self explanatory.
Location Based iAds, same again.
Pop Near Me, yup.
Traffic, yup.
WiFi Networking? Not sure.
Frequent Locations? Huh?

I'd love to know :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.