PDA

View Full Version : Battery Life on rMBP (10,1) 3 hours max?

Fimeg
Jun 12, 2013, 11:05 AM
I installed Mavericks the other day and noticed that I was experiencing severe battery drain. I'm debating on trying a fresh install instead of the upgrade. I notice that "Kernel_Task ReportCrash & Window server" are heavy users of CPU but I was doubting whether they were the cause.

When I first boot I'm drawing -2500 amperage, but it slowly goes down to -1700. Yesterday, on a side note, I noticed that the system was using 14gb of RAM to run safari. This is what is leading me to possibly reinstall. Either something is wrong, or the system is utilizing all that RAM somehow.

Anyone else experiencing shorter battery?

Soulstorm
Jun 12, 2013, 11:08 AM
I installed Mavericks the other day and noticed that I was experiencing severe battery drain. I'm debating on trying a fresh install instead of the upgrade. I notice that "Kernel_Task ReportCrash & Window server" are heavy users of CPU but I was doubting whether they were the cause.

When I first boot I'm drawing -2500 amperage, but it slowly goes down to -1700. Yesterday, on a side note, I noticed that the system was using 14gb of RAM to run safari. This is what is leading me to possibly reinstall. Either something is wrong, or the system is utilizing all that RAM somehow.

Anyone else experiencing shorter battery?

Isn't this information covered by an NDA? I would be very careful about posting any information about non publicly released software from Apple.

leman
Jun 12, 2013, 11:09 AM
Nope, my battery life actually seems to have increased.

baller1308
Jun 12, 2013, 11:10 AM
Do do a clean install or upgrade?

leman
Jun 12, 2013, 11:11 AM
Isn't this information covered by an NDA? I would be very careful about posting any information about non publicly released software from Apple.

If it is agains the forum rules, the moderators are welcome to warn us about it and delete the corresponding topics.

Fimeg
Jun 12, 2013, 11:18 AM
Nope, my battery life actually seems to have increased.

What is your average battery life currently? I remember in Lion I had about 8.

leman
Jun 12, 2013, 11:25 AM
What is your average battery life currently? I remember in Lion I had about 8.

I think somewhere around 7 hours for the normal office use, which involves lots of coding, reading, browsing and listening to music :) But I already have 384 load cycles on my battery ;)

P.S. This is 15" rMBP (MacBookPro10,1)

Fimeg
Jun 12, 2013, 11:29 AM
Yea, same laptop here... but currently I only have Safari and Mail open... I am likely to reinstall in a bit. I was able to achieve 5 hours now, but still it's not up to par. Thanks for the comparison.

I have 365 load cycles in about 10 months.

bkribbs
Jun 12, 2013, 11:30 AM

What on earth did he say that breaks NDA? He just says his battery dies faster due to two process which I assume existed previously.

Fimeg
Jun 12, 2013, 11:33 AM
What on earth did he say that breaks NDA? He just says his battery dies faster due to two process which I assume existed previously.

Precisely.

I decided not to give credence or regard to that prior post.