PDA

View Full Version : [iPhone] Does anyone else not like the new "dock"?

Mikhailov
Jun 12, 2013, 01:11 PM
I hated the dock in iPhone OS 1-3. I think it was updated around iOS 4 to look more like the OS X dock introduced in Leopard, which I like. Now, with iOS 7, Ive has brought back the flat dock, and I personally can't stand it. It feels like such a step backwards in design. Anyone else feel this way, or am I part of the nitpicky population?

Tmelon
Jun 12, 2013, 01:13 PM
Neither do I. It feels a bit too large for my liking.

AQUADock
Jun 12, 2013, 01:17 PM
I hate the blur effect, especially when coupled with those terrible pastel icons.

ECUPeeDee14
Jun 12, 2013, 01:18 PM
Hate it too. Too reminiscent of the iOS 1.0 dock.

DDustiNN
Jun 12, 2013, 01:22 PM
I hated the dock in iPhone OS 1-3. I think it was updated around iOS 4 to look more like the OS X dock introduced in Leopard, which I like. Now, with iOS 7, Ive has brought back the flat dock, and I personally can't stand it. It feels like such a step backwards in design. Anyone else feel this way, or am I part of the nitpicky population?

I love iOS 7, but I do dislike the dock quite a bit. After using it for a couple days, it's one of the few things I don't like so far.

msz7
Jun 12, 2013, 01:23 PM
I agree. It's too big and takes away from the overall feel. I hope they tone it down a bit by the final release.

bchery21
Jun 12, 2013, 01:23 PM
I do sort of like the 3d dock in iOS 6 more but would we be saying Apple is foolish for keeping the old dock in the new iOS?

batting1000
Jun 12, 2013, 01:28 PM
I like it. I think it's clean. I do, however, understand where you're all coming from.

F123D
Jun 12, 2013, 01:45 PM
To large and takes away from the wallpaper image.

JoeyCloverfield
Jun 12, 2013, 01:48 PM
I don't like it either. Would have preferred Mountain Lion's dock.

Mikhailov
Jun 12, 2013, 01:54 PM
I do sort of like the 3d dock in iOS 6 more but would we be saying Apple is foolish for keeping the old dock in the new iOS?

I don't think so. Mavericks still has the old dock from Mountain Lion. I'm all for uniformity across devices and the dock was always part of that between iOS and OS X.

kmj2318
Jun 12, 2013, 01:58 PM
I don't mind it. I don't think there would be a way to use the old dock in this new design.

batting1000
Jun 12, 2013, 02:00 PM
The new dock appears to be a flat version of the ML dock. The one in ML is at an angle while the iOS 7 one is flattened. (??)

NickyLanzz
Jun 12, 2013, 02:07 PM
its basically the original dock for ios 1 again, wish they just made it transparent

robertpetry
Jun 12, 2013, 02:09 PM
In a flat design language why do we need a dock? Shouldn't it just be a row if icons?

doug in albq
Jun 12, 2013, 02:34 PM
It's definitely not over-designed.

bchery21
Jun 12, 2013, 03:23 PM
I don't think so. Mavericks still has the old dock from Mountain Lion. I'm all for uniformity across devices and the dock was always part of that between iOS and OS X.

That is true when you compare iOS and OS X uniformity; didn't think of it that way.

Jukens
Jun 13, 2013, 08:41 PM
Was this a bug because it looks much better clear

Sylon
Jun 13, 2013, 08:44 PM
Yeah I hate how much of the screen it covers, especially on the smaller 4S. Also, opening and closing folders in that dock is choppy as hell. Not smooth at all.

C DM
Jun 13, 2013, 08:44 PM
Was this a bug because it looks much better clearLet's hope it becomes that way soon (in the next beta perhaps).

Ram27
Jun 13, 2013, 08:48 PM
Mine is like 75% opacity white, it doesn't change color based on the background and it is way too thick.

The screenshot above looks sexy.

zbarvian
Jun 13, 2013, 09:01 PM
In a flat design language why do we need a dock? Shouldn't it just be a row if icons?

This post is a perfect example of how the term flat has even distorted by the mainstream blogs and non designers. By the way, I also hate the dock, and all the blurring.

profets
Jun 13, 2013, 09:07 PM
That is true when you compare iOS and OS X uniformity; didn't think of it that way.

With the kind of change Ive has done to iOS, you can only imagine he's barely touched OSX yet.

gadget123
Jun 13, 2013, 09:08 PM
With the kind of change Ive has done to iOS, you can only imagine he's barely touched OSX yet.

IOSX looks professional but IOS doesn't. Can't figure it.

darngooddesign
Jun 13, 2013, 09:09 PM

That would be true if iOS7 were a flat design.

Bobby Corwen
Jun 13, 2013, 09:12 PM
I agree, its a backwards step.

C DM
Jun 13, 2013, 10:21 PM
IOSX looks professional but IOS doesn't. Can't figure it.Yeah unfortunately that appears to be the case now with iOS 7.

KeanosMagicHat
Jun 14, 2013, 03:14 AM

Totally agree - semi transparent is the way to go.

Pinkie Pie
Jun 14, 2013, 04:10 AM
The dock is honestly the only part of the new design that bothers me. It instantly reminded me of pre-Leopard OS X, which, uh, is kind of a confusing feeling. "Oooh, aaaah, look at all this new stuff ... O HAY, 2007, LONG TIME NO SEE GURL HOW U BEEN" :p

PedroDias
Jun 14, 2013, 07:07 AM

I wish the dock would look like that, it looks great this way! Much cleaner and minimalist.

Mikhailov
Jun 14, 2013, 07:36 AM
The dock is honestly the only part of the new design that bothers me. It instantly reminded me of pre-Leopard OS X, which, uh, is kind of a confusing feeling. "Oooh, aaaah, look at all this new stuff ... O HAY, 2007, LONG TIME NO SEE GURL HOW U BEEN" :p

That's EXACTLY how I feel!

KeanosMagicHat
Jun 14, 2013, 08:45 AM
Totally agree - semi transparent is the way to go.

Only stared at the dock properly this afternoon and mine does have some translucency on the 4S after all.

Problem is that on an almost black wallpaper it's barely noticeable looking more like it big grey bar.

It needs to be made more translucent I believe.

CristobalHuet
Jun 14, 2013, 08:50 AM
The blur needs some work. If they nail that down, I won't mind it.

tehreflex
Jun 14, 2013, 08:55 AM

How'd you get yours so transparent? I'm running an iPhone 5 so it's not a hardware limitation.

ionjohn
Jun 14, 2013, 11:31 AM
The new dock is the ugliest thing I've seen in a long time

Apple should bring the ML dock

zbarvian
Jun 14, 2013, 11:34 AM
This is what you get when you call iOS 6 inconsistent. Everything now looks the same, with that trite blur effect. Happy?

GoGa
Jun 14, 2013, 11:42 AM
IOSX looks professional but IOS doesn't. Can't figure it.

Its only the icons that make iOS 7 look unprofessional, the rest looks classy and profesional. Its such a shame Apple messed them up.

C DM
Jun 14, 2013, 11:49 AM
Its only the icons that make iOS 7 look unprofessional, the rest looks classy and profesional. Its such a shame Apple messed them up. There's the dock too. Too much white space in a lot of the native apps and really small and thin icons within them that are not all that nice looking. Using words for buttons in various places isn't the smartest or nicest thing either for a touch device that is more visually based.

lukejc1
Jun 14, 2013, 11:54 AM
I agree. It definitively feels like they went backwards there.

rasputin1969
Jun 14, 2013, 01:06 PM
On an all-black wallpaper it looks horrible, as do folders.

WeegieMac
Jun 14, 2013, 01:19 PM
Yeah I hate how much of the screen it covers, especially on the smaller 4S. Also, opening and closing folders in that dock is choppy as hell. Not smooth at all.

Yeah, open any of the apps in the dock on the 4S and there's a little lag near the end of the animation. Move the same app out the dock, it's smooth.

It'd like to see them replicate Control Center for the dock, just a thin black line separating the icons from the main home screen hovering above the main 4 you have in there. No actual "physical" dock so to speak.

darngooddesign
Jun 14, 2013, 01:20 PM
I'd like to see them replicate Control Center for the dock, just a thin black line separating the icons from the main home screen hovering above the main 4 you have in there. No actual "physical" dock so to speak.

CC has a transparent/blurred background, it looks like a distinct object just liek the dock.

WeegieMac
Jun 14, 2013, 01:32 PM
CC has a transparent/blurred background, it looks like a distinct object just liek the dock.

Yeah, but I think a physical dock is just a waste on this design. Just use a dividing line.

Although how did the person above get a transparent dock or is it a mock up ?

darngooddesign
Jun 14, 2013, 01:34 PM
Yeah, but I think a physical dock is just a waste on this design. Just use a dividing line.

Although how did the person above get a transparent dock or is it a mock up ?

A diving line wont be visible on a busy wallpaper. On Apple's site the dock is transaprent. If yours isn't its a bug.

acosmichippo
Jun 14, 2013, 01:39 PM
On Apple's site the dock is transaprent. If yours isn't its a bug.

"Translucent" would be more accurate.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/design/

darngooddesign
Jun 14, 2013, 01:43 PM
"Translucent" would be more accurate.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/design/

If you can see through it it is transparent. You can have both tranparency and translucency.

zbarvian
Jun 14, 2013, 01:45 PM
If you can see through it it is transparent. You can have both tranparency and translucency.

No translucent is the accurate term. Look it up.

darngooddesign
Jun 14, 2013, 01:50 PM
No translucent is the accurate term. Look it up.

Translucency is a subset of transparency, so you can't have translucency without transparency. I was responding to WeggieMac who asked why his dock wasn't transparent. You're just nitpicking because I pointed out the weird inconsistencies in the iOS6 icons.

WeegieMac
Jun 14, 2013, 01:53 PM
A diving line wont be visible on a busy wallpaper. On Apple's site the dock is transaprent. If yours isn't its a bug.

It's not 100% transparent. It's got the same effect as CC. It blurs to the colour of thr wallpaper behind it. There's no fine detail, just a blurry version of the colour the wallpaper behind it is.

darngooddesign
Jun 14, 2013, 01:53 PM
It's not 100% transparent. It's got the same effect as CC. It blurs to the colour of thr wallpaper behind it.

I never said it was 100% transparent. You can have partial transparency.

zbarvian
Jun 14, 2013, 01:54 PM

Translucency - seeing something underneath, but not clearly; distorted
Transparency - seeing something underneath with no loss in clarity

You're talking about translucency.

WeegieMac
Jun 14, 2013, 01:57 PM
FFS

The bloke above has full transparency, right now I get blurry colour matching wallpaper. I know you never said 100% but I was referring to the screenshot above which showed detail through his dock. Perhaps the 4S is only getting blurry colour match, not full transparency.

darngooddesign
Jun 14, 2013, 01:58 PM
Translucency - seeing something underneath, but not clearly; distorted
Transparency - seeing something underneath with no loss in clarity

You're talking about translucency.

Transparency - allowing light to pass through. Is it a solid object or can you see thorugh it. You can't have translucency without transparency. But like I said, I was replying to WeggieMac's question of how the other person got a transparent dock.

The dock is both transparent and translucent.

WeegieMac
Jun 14, 2013, 02:01 PM
Transparency - allowing light to pass through. Is it a solid object or can you see thorugh it. You can't have translucency without transparency. But like I said, I was replying to WeggieMac's question of how the other person got a transparent dock.

The dock is both transparent and translucent.

Right, I get that. I wasn't asking for a lesson on how there are different levels of transparency (obviously), I was just making a passing reference that right now I see no detail in the dock on 4S, only a blurred colour match to the wallpaper . That's all!

darngooddesign
Jun 14, 2013, 02:06 PM
Right, I get that. I wasn't asking for a lesson on how there are different levels of transparency (obviously), I was just making a passing reference that right now I see no detail in the dock on 4S, only a blurred colour match to the wallpaper . That's all!

You and I both get that, zbavarian does not.

FWIW were you talking about the screenshot that Jukens posted on page 1? If so it is def transparent and not translucent. Its backgrond is not blurred.

zbavarian, is Jukens' screenshot on page 1, the one being discussed, transparent or translucent?

WeegieMac
Jun 14, 2013, 02:12 PM

FWIW were you talking about the screenshot that Jukens posted on page 1? If so it is def transparent and not translucent. Its backgrond is not blurred.

zbavarian, is Jukens' screenshot on page 1, the one being discussed, transparent or translucent?

Yeah that's the one. You can see actual graphical detail on the wallpaper, not just a blurred colour tint. Although the home page of Apple's site shown a 5 with the same blurred colour effect, yet the device compatibility list shows transparent docks. Ah well, it's only a beta.

darngooddesign
Jun 14, 2013, 02:14 PM
Yeah that's the one. You can see actual graphical detail on the wallpaper, not just a blurred colour tint. Although the home page of Apple's site shown a 5 with the same blurred colour effect, yet the device compatibility list shows transparent docks. Ah well, it's only a beta.

I'm not sure which I prefer, but that does look nice. I tend to put patterns and textures as my wallpapers so a translucent dock looks as nice to me as a transparent one. I really wouldn't be able to say without using it.

zbarvian
Jun 14, 2013, 02:23 PM

Just a little link I found: http://grammarist.com/usage/translucent-transparent/

If the background isn't blurred, it's transparent.

darngooddesign
Jun 14, 2013, 02:24 PM
Just a little link I found: http://grammarist.com/usage/translucent-transparent/

If the background isn't blurred, it's transparent.

So you were hasseling me for calling a transparent dock transparent? This is the one being discussed.

Is it transparent or translucent?

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=417374&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1371174044

City Lights
Sep 15, 2013, 04:29 PM
I installed iOS 7 and the new Dock is the ugliest thing I've ever seen on a smart-phone. The Day-Glow green & red colors for the Call, SMS, Eall-End, Stocks... proves Apple has gone Nuclear decay, this Apple design team is rotten!

I'm downgrading back to iOS 6